ADVERTISEMENT

PJ’s dad says son will stay in draft with first round pick promise

I can see why when you get a first round guarantee but most likely won't become a mid to late lottery pick. Get that guaranteed money, work on your game full time and see where you end up by the time second contract time comes along

The only promise Dad will get is seeing his son swatted any time he ventures into the paint......in the D, F, G what ever the stupid league is called.

Getting old. I thought for sure with his dad being a coach and the lolly pop draft of 2019 setup for him nicely he wouldn't really push to leave. I mean test the waters, get feedback, that's fine, but your not a 1st round pick. Get the feedback comeback and work on it. Stop clawing at the door to get out of here. About what it's starting to feel like.

Almost seems like he and or his Dad is salty about some of the criticism he's gotten, especially after building a house from the free-throw line against K. State. Probabaly wrong but seems like it.

Idk, i highly doubt they’re basing his future career on what some random/ obscure UK fans said on Twitter and Rupp Rafters Lol...

I don’t think PJ or his dad have eluded anything of the sort ? Have they? In fact he seemed pretty complimentary of BBN in his “letter” to the fans.

I could be wrong of course

Last edited:
Reactions: Chase4UK
If he can develop an outside game, he'll be a 1st rounder. His height is an issue in the NBA and that's why he's got to find a way to be effective. Especially in a weak draft, he could definitely be a 1st rounder.
How much do you think he will play ‘outside’ if he comes back next year? If he wants to develop an outside game his best bet is to try at the next level....imo

He better develop a better FT % should he return. Cal will have him taking it at the rim, as he should at the college level.

good luck with being an undersized power forward that can't shoot, handle the ball or play defense

So, you wouldn’t want an undersized PF that can't shoot, handle the ball or play defense back at UK right ?

I think it’s a terrible decision if he ends up declaring as he can literally get a guaranteed $5-$8 million dollars most likely by returning but I never understood the immediately ripping a guy down if he elects not to return ?

Reactions: JerseyCat84
How much do you think he will play ‘outside’ if he comes back next year? If he wants to develop an outside game his best bet is to try at the next level....imo

He better develop a better FT % should he return. Cal will have him taking it at the rim, as he should at the college level.

That could be very well why he's leaning towards being gone. He's not going to be shooting any 3's at UK next year, other than maybe 1 a game, and not many long 2's.

Someone help me out , as I don’t mean it in a “bashing” way to PJ/ his family

Why not come back? I get it hour guaranteed 1st round .. go make the $$

But he’s legitimately already on the mock draft for next year which automatically = guaranteed $4+ million ... possibly higher as he does have talent and gifts. What’s the harm in coming back, working on your game, build your “brand” etc all while being on the biggest stage with the best coaches, trainers etc?

It’s as if some of these guys think they deserve to be multi millionaires after 7-9 months of “work” playing college ball?

With the expected progression from Richards and the addition of Montgomery, it's reasonable to expect PJ to spend more time at the four and less time at the five.

Patterson came back to showcase himself similarly with the addition of Boogie and Orton.

I would think, at the very least, a full year of sustained effort, rebounding and defending like we saw from him down the stretch would do wonders for his stock. He'd also be facing much less crowded lanes because we should shoot it much better as a team.

I'm nearly always a "go pro ASAP" guy, but PJ is an example of a guy who has the physical gifts, opportunity, and draft depth on his side to make coming back a smart move. It's just a matter of what he's okay with. If being pick 39 or 44 or whatever is good enough for him, all you can do is find his replacement.

I've been reading all the back and forth in this thread and totally get the thought of those who feel he is making a huge mistake if not coming back. However, it sounds very much like we should all be prepared for the fact he is likely not coming back from what we now hear from his dad. I'd love to have PJ come back to UK next season and I do think he would be able to improve on the aspects of his game to make him more attractive to a guaranteed contract in the next draft which is supposed to be weaker. But, I also see their side,where they probably feel he won't become a shooter at UK with the other guys coming in who would be ahead of him in taking outside shots (be it 3's or long 2's). Whatever he decides, I wish him well and no bad will at all.

Is there any traction to Travis being a grad transfer yet or having any interest from or in UK? Everyone has thrown that name around, but I've not seen anything written besides speculative tweets and message board musings. Genuinely curious if I missed something. He would be a great addition, but I don't want to think someone like Reid is a real possibility if he isn't even planning on leaving Stanford.

The need would have to be there first for interest to be given. If two of the three return we have no need, thus no interest that I would see.

He's going to end up with a tough decision to make. No way he's getting a first round guarantee and at best he'll get interest in the 30-40 range. What to do? Tough decision coming up.

I think they view coming back to UK as the last possible resort.
Don't think there is any doubt about that but the same could be said about 3/4 of this years team. It seems to be more of a pronounced issue with this group than in some years' past even though their talent doesn't match their desire to leave.

Somebody in that family better wake up.
PJ isn't getting drafted in the first round and probably not second round. PJ may be one of those players who is a really good college player but never plays in the NBA. Only 2% of college players ever play in the NBA and unless PJ comes backs and develops a jump shot and some ball handling skills he is headed straight to the G LEAGUE and he gets to play for $35000 a year.

That’s why you get itnin writing like my nephew did when the Thunder drafted him in the first round

NBA team “we promise”

That means nothing at the end of the day. Say the NBA team who “promised” PJ’s dad that they’d take him first round change their mind and pick someone else... what are PJ and his dad gonna say ...” Hey now, y’all promised!”

That’s why you get itnin writing like my nephew did when the Thunder drafted him in the first round
I don't know who your nephew is but if he got it in writing before the draft he is a better basketball player than PJ.
That aint happening for PJ .

PJ Tucker, TJ McConnell, JJ Berra, Wes Matthews, Raji Bell, Calderon, Hadley, Lin. List goes on and on. No one knows if it’s a good decision or not but there is a chance he could make it even if he isn’t drafted and a good chance he gets guaranteed Money if he goes second round (75% of the second rounders do)

Somebody in that family better wake up.
PJ isn't getting drafted in the first round and probably not second round. PJ may be one of those players who is a really good college player but never plays in the NBA. Only 2% of college players ever play in the NBA and unless PJ comes backs and develops a jump shot and some ball handling skills he is headed straight to the G LEAGUE and he gets to play for $35000 a year.

PJ Tucker, TJ McConnell, JJ Berra, Wes Matthews, Raji Bell, Calderon, Hadley, Lin. List goes on and on. No one knows if it’s a good decision or not but there is a chance he could make it even if he isn’t drafted and a good chance he gets guaranteed Money if he goes second round (75% of the second rounders do)[/QUOTE
I dont believe any player drafted in the second round gets guaranteed money just by being drafted in the second round.
They may go on to get contracts but first round picks are the only ones that get guaranteed money just by draft position.

Anybody else read this stuff and go, "well doh!"

Let me translate: 'If someone offers 7 figures, we're gone. If not, we'll be cats.'

Well, Doh!!

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Well if he leaves he won't have to work on his FTs, so there's that.

So, you wouldn’t want an undersized PF that can't shoot, handle the ball or play defense back at UK right ?

I think it’s a terrible decision if he ends up declaring as he can literally get a guaranteed $5-$8 million dollars most likely by returning but I never understood the immediately ripping a guy down if he elects not to return ?
Isn't fandom amazing? The moment a player or recruit scorns your school suddenly all his attributes decrease.

Oh well, another delusional, can’t wait to leave, the world owes me something millennial.
What’s new?
tenor.gif

Ok, I can see that aspect but if he returns, he WILL improve his draft stock which means more money and likely a guaranteed contract. For someone with his size and skill, do you really want to take a chance on not getting that contract? Next year's draft will be much different than this year and if he can develop at least some outside skill, ala Patterson, he will greatly increase his chances of making a NBA team. Not sure how you can argue with that

Ok, I can see that aspect but if he returns, he WILL improve his draft stock which means more money and likely a guaranteed contract. For someone with his size and skill, do you really want to take a chance on not getting that contract? Next year's draft will be much different than this year and if he can develop at least some outside skill, ala Patterson, he will greatly increase his chances of making a NBA team. Not sure how you can argue with that
I don’t think he develops Patterson’s outside game, but I agree with everything else you said.

I could see a scenario where PJ and his dad may have been a little upset that he spent more time at the 5 in the paint than the 3 playering on the perimeter than he was likely sold on in recruiting and looking for any reason to leave.

If that’s the case, don’t be mad at Cal. Be mad at Nick Richards for being not very good about all season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT