ADVERTISEMENT

PJ’s dad says son will stay in draft with first round pick promise

Can someone please explain to me how a "written guarantee" works between an NBA team and a potential draft pick?

Since there is no guarantee as to who might end up being available at the time of your pick, any written "guarantee" seems to be absolutely worthless.

lol, thanks PJ’s dad.

He could EASILY secure himself late lottery next year. Everyone wants to be a multi millionaire... sometimes it takes more than 8 months “work”
To achieve that... He’s not securely in the 1st round right now, and it’s hard to imagine him in any NBA rotation next year so what is the harm again in coming back for 1 more season, build hype, work on game while on the biggest stage in college basketball?

Pj's dad also said that Pj might go even if he is not in the 1st round. That tells me all I need to know. I do not expect to see Washington back next year. Lets go get Travis and hopefully keep the other 2 and we'll be set.
Is there any traction to Travis being a grad transfer yet or having any interest from or in UK? Everyone has thrown that name around, but I've not seen anything written besides speculative tweets and message board musings. Genuinely curious if I missed something. He would be a great addition, but I don't want to think someone like Reid is a real possibility if he isn't even planning on leaving Stanford.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Is there any traction to Travis being a grad transfer yet or having any interest from or in UK? Everyone has thrown that name around, but I've not seen anything written besides speculative tweets and message board musings. Genuinely curious if I missed something. He would be a great addition, but I don't want to think someone like Reid is a real possibility if he isn't even planning on leaving Stanford.
For some reason Drew Franklin has wrote in fact many times that Travis will be leaving Stanford. I am not sure if there is any real traction to it or not; although he has seemed sure of it.

6'6" power forward with limited ball skills and no perimeter game. i dont see him ever being more than a 2nd round pick. can see the scenario if you are never going to be more than a 2nd round pick as a JR or SR, might as well go do it as a FR and just figure it out. unless you just like college that much and maybe want a degree.

How will PJ know for sure he will be taken in the first round before the deadline to withdraw his name?

I'm all for guys leaving and getting their money, but this one really makes no sense. I really want PJ back, and think that he'll be a very good college player next season......but he isn't close to contributing in the NBA. Can't shoot, can't handle the ball, not a "great passer", not a great defender. Those guys end up in the G League, and stop developing. Fort Wayne isn't a fun place to live.

Go back to lex, get better, get great coaching, have the time of your life.....then be a 1st round pick.

If I was Washington i would wont that in writing and signed in blood. Like many of you I just do not see him in the 1st round.

I don't think he's going to get a commitment in the first or early second round. Maybe someone will take a chance on him late second. A lot to gamble on IMO.

Think this is where Cal has to earn that paycheck. I trust he'll guide them into making the right decision.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It sounds like he's gone no matter what to me.Must get JV and Gabriel and another big.
If JV and Gabriel come back, we don't necessarily NEED another big. JV, Gabriel, EJ, Richards will play the 4/5, and you can play KJ at the 4 for spot minutes if you wanna go small. But I get what you are saying, it would be nice.

If JV and Gabriel come back, we don't necessarily NEED another big. JV, Gabriel, EJ, Richards will play the 4/5, and you can play KJ at the 4 for spot minutes if you wanna go small. But I get what you are saying, it would be nice.
It's hard to count on JV being able to play a whole season.Pj leaving would be a killer if we can't get someone else and I don't know who it would be.Doubt Reid Travis leaves Stanford.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
It's hard to count on JV being able to play a whole season.Pj leaving would be a killer if we can't get someone else and I don't know who it would be.Doubt Reid Travis leaves Stanford.
Fair point. I am assuming that JV can get back to 100%, but I shouldn't assume that.

JV , Gabriel , EJ , richards and KJ would be an elite front court . We wouldn't need anything else . As long as 2 of the 3 guys come back we are golden. I still think PJ and JV will be the 2 back . PJ will be lucky to be drafted . 1st round is completely out of the question. IMO top 40 is even. If he is drafted he will be one of the last 5 or so picks. I just can't believe he will be this dumb to leave .

Reactions: MWes11
Sounds like his dad blowing off steam and puffing up his son. It doesn't change the reality that PJ is listed at best at the bottom of the second round right now and no GM who covets his job would guarantee him anything beyond a free agent look if he isn't drafted at all.

When its time to put up or shut up, his options are going to be A: Return to Kentucky and try to use another year to alter the perception NBA scouts have now, or B. Head down that long uncertain path of playing for $30,000 a year in the G-League, or heading to Europe, and hope you don't end up like 500 other guys your size and skill set who'll never make the NBA.

Wish he would go ahead and make the leap. It's what he wants to do and with this wishy washy fooling around he is holding Cal and UK hostage in finding another big man.

Put a full court press on a major forward or center and tell them Washington is history then make it stick.

Reactions: mattrudd
6'6" power forward with limited ball skills and no perimeter game. i dont see him ever being more than a 2nd round pick. can see the scenario if you are never going to be more than a 2nd round pick as a JR or SR, might as well go do it as a FR and just figure it out. unless you just like college that much and maybe want a degree.

If he can develop an outside game, he'll be a 1st rounder. His height is an issue in the NBA and that's why he's got to find a way to be effective. Especially in a weak draft, he could definitely be a 1st rounder.

Wish he would go ahead and make the leap. It's what he wants to do and with this wishy washy fooling around he is holding Cal and UK hostage in finding another big man.

Put a full court press on a major forward or center and tell them Washington is history then make it stick.
I think Cal’s got this. No one is holding Cal hostage.

LMAO!! Holding them hostage? That's ridiculous. The combine isn't even until next week. Gimme a break

As limited as his game is - 6'6 power forward that can't shoot in today's NBA? - his athleticism and length are elite. So, I think he's going to cause quite a stir at the combine. When they get his measurements, he'll be one of the guys making headlines. That alone - despite being a 6'6 forward that can't shoot - will cause enough positive momentum that he'll get the idea someone will take a chance on him (whether or not they will is another matter, guarantees aside), and he'll stay in the draft.

As limited as his game is - 6'6 power forward that can't shoot in today's NBA? - his athleticism and length are elite. So, I think he's going to cause quite a stir at the combine. When they get his measurements, he'll be one of the guys making headlines. That alone - despite being a 6'6 forward that can't shoot - will cause enough positive momentum that he'll get the idea someone will take a chance on him (whether or not they will is another matter, guarantees aside), and he'll stay in the draft.

I've mostly been feeling this way too, except I think PJ will shoot it better than most expect when teams get a look at him.

I think he ends up projected in the 40s, we'll see if that's good enough for him to make the leap.

Nobody is giving him a first round promise. Best he can hope for is a promise of a guaranteed contract in the second round, like Jodie Meeks got.

Reactions: ukfan041
Washington is a sure 1st round pick next year if he makes close to normal progression from year 1 to year 2. Seems like an easy choice with no drama involved or needed.As to the three remaining UK players who are yet to make a decision,stay or go,do what you have to do.I don't care to know what your dad,mom,3rd cousin or best friend in the 5th grade has to say about it. Let us know when you make a decision or don't tell us.If you are in a UK uniform when they throw up the ball next season I will care about how you play and what you bring to the team,if not I wish you well and will go about my business of being a UK fan.

Reactions: UKGrad93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT