ADVERTISEMENT

PJ’s comment about staying or going after today’s scrimmage

Interesting thread but it seems I've read the same comments from the same people somewhere before.

For him, I hope He gets to chase his dream. For me as a selfish fan, I hope he's back next year. Him and EJ could an awesome duo down low.

Folks, I said it before he even declared. He will not be returning to Kentucky.

I kind of agree....when i heard his Dad on Leach show i know what i heard and it wasnt a case where PJ just wanted to test the waters and get feed back....PJ is making a big run at NBA and that bothers me for reasons i wont share

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Regardless of what PJ actually decides, this comment should make a lot of people happy. Contrary to popular RR opinion, it confirms that Cal is not running these guys out or telling them to dive headlong at the first paycheck they see.
I respect your opinion, but you are stating this as fact, and I disagree.

For him, I hope He gets to chase his dream. For me as a selfish fan, I hope he's back next year. Him and EJ could an awesome duo down low.
Why can't "his dream" be to win a National Championship first, and then move on to play professionally.

Let's just call it the way it actually is. He wants to make money now. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but let's stop the "chasing their dreams" crap.

Reactions: seccats04
Why can't "his dream" be to win a National Championship first, and then move on to play professionally.

Let's just call it the way it actually is. He wants to make money now. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but let's stop the "chasing their dreams" crap.
Kids care less about the name front of the jersey or to win championships, they want to make nba fast as possible. Honestly don't blame them, the colleges and coaches get all the money.

I respect your opinion, but you are stating this as fact, and I disagree.

So, in your “opinion “ Cal DOES tell all his guys to dive headfirst into the first possible paycheck they can get ?

Despite quotes from Cal and actual players saying/ insinuating otherwise your opinion is still that ... what? Cal , PJ and others are lying ?

I think he’s saying that his dream is to play in the NBA

That isn’t what it sounds like to me. And all due respect, but you have no idea what exactly teams tell him or Cal.

True, NO ONE on this board knows what teams tell Cal or players, what Cal tells teams or players, or what players tell Cal or teams.

But it's common sense. Teams are looking out for their own best interest. If they don't think you are a 1st round guy, they would be thrilled if another team picked you in the 1st, since that would bump up by one player the quality of your next pick. They aren't going to commit to a player, even if they like him a lot, because what if a guy they like even more falls to them unexpectedly.

I understand, I just don't understand why so many guys are in such a hurry. What's wrong with maturing, developing, and improving your game another year?Especially at a place like Kentucky, where you're treated like a God.

Oh yeah, 100% agreed. I mean I totally understand a guy wanting to bolt if hes guaranteed millions of $ but I don't* understand wanting to bolt when not even guaranteed a contract whatsoever when its entirely feasible to return to UK, build your brand, hype, work with amazing coaches, make even more connections and go 1st round the following year (or year after)

True, NO ONE on this board knows what teams tell Cal or players, what Cal tells teams or players, or what players tell Cal or teams.

But it's common sense. Teams are looking out for their own best interest. If they don't think you are a 1st round guy, they would be thrilled if another team picked you in the 1st, since that would bump up by one player the quality of your next pick. They aren't going to commit to a player, even if they like him a lot, because what if a guy they like even more falls to them unexpectedly.

Stuff happens, no doubt. But it also isn’t in a team’s interest to burn a guy like Cal, and he has alluded to this in the past.

So I’m saying enough information is gathered to reasonably surmise whether a player will be picked and where. Judging from the success rate of Cal’s players in the draft, I believe this is a fairly safe assumption.

So, in your “opinion “ Cal DOES tell all his guys to dive headfirst into the first possible paycheck they can get ?

Despite quotes from Cal and actual players saying/ insinuating otherwise your opinion is still that ... what? Cal , PJ and others are lying ?
When Cal tells all ofBBN that his goal is to put as many in the NBA as he can and he don’t care about nattys, you guys say it is coach speak. Is that the same thing as lying? My point is you apologists on this board spin what Cal says in ways that defend him.

In the course of human communication. What one say is either a lie or the truth. There is no middle ground. So you tell me, does Cal always speaks the truth, or does he occasionally tell a lie to fit a certain situation?

I submit that Cal has created a culture here that makes players feel they have to a OAD or they are a failure, plus they see Cal out there recruiting over them and simply don’t want to fight for their spot.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Sounds rationale and positive. Nothing more or less. I will just relax and wait to see who is in the 18/19 team. I think we are good to great depending on the answer and I am good with that.

He's not going to get a guaranteed first round pick or anything close to it. I'm guessing he feels the same about an early second round pick too and he won't get that either.

Even though he says in this scenario, that he will return. He will not return, he will be told that he's late second round at best material, and that'll be enough for him to leave. He knows he's not going to sniff the first round, he also knows going back to school for millions next season isn't worth it when he could be making 35k a year in the Gleague eating peanut butter sandwiches, at least in his mind. And that's what is going to happen when he keeps his name in.

With his words you'd think well he's forsure coming back because there's no way in hell that scenario even comes close to playing out, a GM will get fired on the spot if they pick him in the first round, but his words are not truth. He's going to hear late second round at best. Let's be real, he's a 6'7 post up center, no perimeter skills at all, same for ball handling, with a 27 inch vertical (that's very VERY bad), I'm willing to bet that no one even guarantees him a late second round pick. He's a traditional center who is the size of your average NBA small forward, with a very bad vertical in which doesn't make up for his size. And he's going to leave regardless, IMO, as long as someone says to him that they might be willing to take him 60th depending on what's available.

Last edited:
If quoted accurately PJ is such a liar...[eyeroll]
I have no idea what he or the others will do, nor do I care. It will be what it will be. It is hard for some of us to understand the thinking of PJ and JV. Like one more year of school will kill you? Something deeper is going on at UK. Kids can’t be this stupid, can they?

For him, I hope He gets to chase his dream. For me as a selfish fan, I hope he's back next year. JV and EJ could an awesome duo down low.
Fixed!

If healthy, JV will be our teams superstar next season and make a run at NPOY even if Washington returns IMO. If healthy I'd definitely much rather have JV if I had to pick one. But even if we have both the combo of those 3 or reid instead of Washington will make up the best frontcourt in the country to go along with the best backcourt in the country,

Last edited:
I have no idea what he or the others will do, nor do I care. It will be what it will be. It is hard for some of us to understand the thinking of PJ and JV. Like one more year of school will kill you? Something deeper is going on at UK. Kids can’t be this stupid, can they?

From my outside looking in opinion it is a combination of things. Peer pressure (Social media is included in that as nothing is secret anymore) to be one and done, young ego's (Older ego's realize a little that it doesn't matter much what other's think so the ego is at least tempered with a little reality (sometimes)), outside influences wanting a quick buck and doing anything they can to get it including giving the wrong advice (This does include some parents), and the idea of a quick dollar. It amazes me still how everything is centered around getting rich quick. (For very few it works that way.)
I stated all that to state this too; I do not blame it on Cal or UK.

You guys need to take off the tinted glasses and look at this from a business perspective. Coming out this year PJ is borderline draftable. But he (they) decided to test the waters anyway and are trying to create whatever leverage they can in the hopes that some GM sees something in the way of potential that others arent ready to bite on and rolls the dice on him. His chances of pulling off a 1st round pick are slim to none. NBA exec's are not going to guarantee a 1st round pick for a guy so far outside the lottery. If it doesn't work he waltzes back into the BBN as a returning hero. He has nothing to lose. What would you do?

I do think he'll stay in the draft if he believes he's a low-mid second round pick. This would be a mistake.

Last edited:
To those insinuating PJ is lying: Why?

Why would he bother to lie? It'd be just as easy, if in fact he was staying in the draft regardless of what happens, to say, "I'm still gathering information, and then I'll make a final decision with my family. I appreciate everyone's support..." Or something like that. It makes no sense to lay out a precise scenario of when you'd leave if you really are strongly leaning toward leaving under any and all circumstances.

The words he said, the clarity with which he said it, and his body language, strongly suggest he's given in a lot of thought, and this is his plan.

I hope you saw the eye roll when I stated that.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
To those insinuating PJ is lying: Why?

Why would he bother to lie? It'd be just as easy, if in fact he was staying in the draft regardless of what happens, to say, "I'm still gathering information, and then I'll make a final decision with my family. I appreciate everyone's support..." Or something like that. It makes no sense to lay out a precise scenario of when you'd leave if you really are strongly leaning toward leaving under any and all circumstances.

The words he said, the clarity with which he said it, and his body language, strongly suggest he's given in a lot of thought, and this is his plan.

Fair enough. But, if he is not a lock for first round and stays anyway, what will your feeling be then?

Just saw were athletic scholarships at Uk were worth 84,000 per year! Do the math with food, board, school versus the possible outcomes! G league 30,000 Cal could stop all our speculation in a heartbeat by telling the press / athlete that we are recruiting over you! I am sure this is happening as we speak in private with each one of them! Cal will not be left not knowing!

Unless they are being fed filet mignon and Maine lobster every night, those figures are way too high. My daughter is a senior in HS and the UK costs were around 25k a year, room and meal plan. Even Vandy is approx 63k. 84k a year for Princeton maybe lol.

Fair enough. But, if he is not a lock for first round and stays anyway, what will your feeling be then?

I'm not 55 but at that point there is nothing "we" can do but like "I think it was Knox's Dad" did some trolling that was totally un-called for stating Knox could stay knowing he wouldn't, that is not good. IF that is what happens all you can do is call the person a liar. No way to hold them accountable...

Jesus, dude. Pop some uppers, get some sunshine. Or, at the very least, wait for the players to actually declare before indicting the entire UK basketball program and teenage generation.

The Ringer's mock draft (not by any means a be-all-end-all, but quality writers anyways), don't have PJ in their mock. They do have SGA(14), Knox(15), DIallo(29), and JV (40).

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.136712249.801639424.1526664998-122605103.1526664998

Pretty good read, tbh. I imagine these guys know the game much better than some of the dolts at ESPN. Make sure to select (Deep Dive) for an insane amount of analysis on every pick.

Whatever makes him happy is what he should do, then live with results.

Reactions: BBUK
Did someone post that Cal has never had a OAD that was not taken first round?

So Kyle tucker goes out and finds “a scout” to try and paint Washington as wishy washy or a liar. The dude should be fired. I mean if it’s “multiple sources “ that’s a story, “a source” is a troll job pure and simple. “Despite what PJ says”. You make a statement like this he better be right or get this guy out of the UK media business.

ADVERTISEMENT