ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino/UofL on Donovan Mitchell is sickening

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
Yesterday, Donovan Mitchell led UofL in points, rebounds, and assists in their loss. He was a dominant scorer all year and has elite athleticism to go along with a good jump shot.

But after hearing and reading crap from Rick and those fans pick apart those kids..it just makes you realize that Cal really does care about the kids on his team and wants what is best for them.

However, Pitino said he discouraged Mitchell, a 6-foot-3 All-ACC first-teamer, from attending the NBA draft combine May 9-14 in Chicago. Mitchell suggested he wanted to go head-to-head with some of the top point guards projected to be in this year's draft, according to Pitino, but the coach told him those particular players likely wouldn't participate in the five-on-five scrimmages that take place at the combine.

Instead, Pitino said he recommended going through the interviews and private workouts with NBA teams. If Mitchell gets the sense that he might be drafted in somewhere from 13th to 20th, then he should consider staying in the draft pool, Pitino said.

"Never say never with any of this," Pitino said. "We thought (former U of L center Chinanu Onuaku) would come back. ... I think (Mitchell) will go out there and try out. And if he can move into the post-lottery area, anywhere from 13-20, it's something we'll talk about, but if it's not there he'll come back."

Go on their message boards and see what they say about their best player. They go on an on about how he is not ready and would be lucky to make the D-League, even though he average 19 PPG this year. Rick told him to go and hear what they say so he can come back and work on some skills for next year...at UofL. That seems like it benefits Rick more having him back than the kid who is a top 25 pick on every draft board.

It doesn't make financial sense to come back if you're projected high 20s and gamble trying to get into the mid teens the next year. The difference in money over the 3 years is less than your first year salary will be. Grab the money and get working towards the 4th year where the money starts to even out, and then play for the extension that will set you and your family up for life. There is a much better chance you don't move at all or move down the follow year than there is that you make a huge jump from 21 to 10.

Yesterday, Donovan Mitchell led UofL in points, rebounds, and assists in their loss. He was a dominant scorer all year and has elite athleticism to go along with a good jump shot.

But after hearing and reading crap from Rick and those fans pick apart those kids..it just makes you realize that Cal really does care about the kids on his team and wants what is best for them.

Go on their message boards and see what they say about their best player. They go on an on about how he is not ready and would be lucky to make the D-League, even though he average 19 PPG this year. Rick told him to go and hear what they say so he can come back and work on some skills for next year...at UofL. That seems like it benefits Rick more having him back than the kid who is a top 25 pick on every draft board.
SEXtino is a despicable piece of garbage..

This year is guard heavy, next yr would be a better draft for Mitchell. He will be phenomenal next year, may be best guard in ACC. So yes, it makes sense for him to return. Like with Briscoe this draft, he should stay at UK another year. When we win #9 at the beginning of next month, Briscoe may reassess. Love these Cats!!!Go Big Blue!!!

Reactions: midniter
I'm surprised that VJ King stuck around. That kid would have started for any other team in the country. But Pitino buried him on the bench, convinced him that he wasn't ready. The same thing he did to Donovan last year. Every time I saw Mitchell play in 2016 he looked like the best player on UofL's roster.

Reactions: midniter
He is 6'3" that's borderline for a 2 guard in the NBA that isn't a great shooter, nothing surprising at all if he returns

He's not good at all. Rick knows he doesn't have talent on his team and he will try to get him back (because he's a ok 2 guard). But my god if a GM takes him at 27 then he better go, because he won't get that high again.

Well if he wants to go back to that crap of a team, then I guess so.

With him they'll be a top 34-40 team next season just like they where finished this season..
Lol...ok. Look, I hate Louisville as much as anyone, but if he comes back Louisville is a Top 5 preseason ranked team.

This year is guard heavy, next yr would be a better draft for Mitchell. He will be phenomenal next year, may be best guard in ACC. So yes, it makes sense for him to return. Like with Briscoe this draft, he should stay at UK another year. When we win #9 at the beginning of next month, Briscoe may reassess. Love these Cats!!!Go Big Blue!!!

Briscoe is NOT coming back. Write it down..I doubt Donovan does either.

Believe it or not, sometimes going pro is not the best thing for a kid. Even if he's a first rounder.
That would be an extremely rare case. There are a ton of examples where a kid lost millions by not striking will the iron was hot, whereas there are very few cases where it helped coming back.

Reactions: floatingyou
Just read the story on this in the Courier. These two sentences together made me chuckle, although I'm sure that wasn't intended:

"If Mitchell gets the sense that he might be drafted in somewhere from 13th to 20th, then he should consider staying in the draft pool, Pitino said.

DraftExpress.com projects Mitchell as the 21st pick in its latest mock draft."

heh.

Reactions: csrupp
Pitino and K operate the same way.

That's why both will have nearly everyone back and be top 5 teams next year.

Probably bad for the players, good for the basketball team.

Honestly, not sure which side I'm on.

Reactions: SkydogWildcat
Just read the story on this in the Courier. These two sentences together made me chuckle, although I'm sure that wasn't intended:

"If Mitchell gets the sense that he might be drafted in somewhere from 13th to 20th, then he should consider staying in the draft pool, Pitino said.

DraftExpress.com projects Mitchell as the 21st pick in its latest mock draft."

heh.
Followed by this quote: "And if he can move into the post-lottery area, anywhere from 13-20, it's something we'll talk about, but if it's not there he'll come back."

Truly sickening.

Lol...ok. Look, I hate Louisville as much as anyone, but if he comes back Louisville is a Top 5 preseason ranked team.

You said that this year, last year and every year. Look I told you they sucked and they'll suck next year.

Same story with you. Every damn time and you agreed with Seth in saying we'd be out on the first weekend.

Also got ya on USC beating Duke, the same ul football sucked you said they would run the table after beating Fl St.

Your a troll or suck at this

I'm surprised that VJ King stuck around. That kid would have started for any other team in the country. But Pitino buried him on the bench, convinced him that he wasn't ready. The same thing he did to Donovan last year. Every time I saw Mitchell play in 2016 he looked like the best player on UofL's roster.
Meh. I don't follow HS players that much; but couldn't same be said of skj? Or is king really that good?

Yeah because always the best thing for a 19 year old is to get 5 million dollars.
I'm confused why that would be a bad thing. Athleticism is a perishable asset, gotta get the money when you can. And if he projects into the first round that's 3 years of guaranteed money.

No sense in performing the exact same work for free in college.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Meh. I don't follow HS players that much; but couldn't same be said of skj? Or is king really that good?
Maybe. I'm don't really know. The only thing I can say is that Calipari has shown an extreme amount of patience with other players like Skal and Gabriel. I'll admit it's strange that SKJ can't even get in the game, but he hasn't made any comments to indicate he's unhappy about the situation.

No sense in performing the exact same work for free in college.

It's Sentiment that only exists where college athletics are involved. A computer science major gets a job offer from Microsoft or IBM before he's finished school, nobody would say anything except "good for you". But as soon as "athlete" is put after "student", staying in school for no good reason is suddenly what you should do.

It's Sentiment that only exists where college athletics are involved. A computer science major gets a job offer from Microsoft or IBM before he's finished school, nobody would say anything except "good for you". But as soon as "athlete" is put after "student", staying in school for no good reason is suddenly what you should do.
What?

And even worse the C.S. major might have 40+ years where they could be a valuable assest. There is a reason players over 35 are a novelty in the NBA; because there aren't many of them. Even less of them are guards because once you lose a half step it's usually the end unless you can become a prolific 3 point shooter or passer. Most of these athletes have their 20s to set themselves up for the rest of their lives, gambling as much as 20% of that time away playing for free and chasing what might turn out to be a small portion of potential earnings is foolish. A millionaire coach telling a kid with a limited shelf life to come back to selfish, the kind of money at stake could change an entire family.

Yeah because always the best thing for a 19 year old is to get 5 million dollars.
Not about "best." It is relative to the high risk of getting substantially less money as a 20-22 year old (and beyond). I really hope you aren't being serious here. Would you really advise someone not to take a lot of money because there is a chance that it may cause problems in their life?

That would be an extremely rare case. There are a ton of examples where a kid lost millions by not striking will the iron was hot, whereas there are very few cases where it helped coming back.

Of course. 100%. To think otherwise is just silly

ADVERTISEMENT