ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Most hated coach in UK history

I will not use hate but Pitino is the most disgusting coach in UK history. Eddie Sutton had a drinking problem and had demons in his head. But Pitino was Pitino.

He's the most tragic figure in Kentucky basketball history. As Shakespeare, Dickens, Dostyevsky and Faulkner knew, pure evil isn't the stuff of tragedy, or even very interesting. Its a cartoon. But a potentially heroic figure who has the fatal flaw of arrogance or jealousy or hatred (or a combination) who lets that ruin him in a cataclysmic fashion, that's the stuff of tragedy.

Last edited:
Yes, let's alter our historical achievements because Louisville is dirty and corrupt. While we're at it, let's remove the 96 team from our historical record. Let's also self vacate the 96 championships. Since 98 was Ricks players let's self vacate that too. We should also consider removing the final fours as well.

Some of you who live near Louisville have been battered. Rick made you believe our programs are connected, whether you realize it or not. Rick caused enough damage to our traditions and mystique by associating our players and our accomplishments by going to that dump. How about we just stop the nonsense and let Rick's time here stand on its own?

Tubby for me cause HE just flat out sucked! As far as I am concerned he cost of couple titles with his style of play and not getting teams ready for March. Tubby was hot trash and couldn't recruit worth a damn! When Bobby Perry is your best recruit in 3 years you have problems!

Favorite coaches to least:
Joe Hall..was nearly blacklisted by a bitter Rupp but reminded everyone he was a caretaker.
Pitino...took over a demolished program and revitalized the game
Calipari...showman supreme
Tubby....boring, hated to recruit...but maybe the best x and o coach of all.
Giilispie...couldn't control his demons.
Sutton.....almost single handidly destroyed Kentucky basketball.

Reactions: ram1955
Tubby was not a great X's and O's coach. That is a myth. Just because he slowed the game down and micro managed doesn't mean he was great. This mainly stems from one game, Duke, and if he tried that 10 more times he's probably lose.

Remember Tubby going to Sharay Thomas against Uconn in the tournament for the win? That's not good coaching. All of the games we blew because Tubby wouldn't let his teams run or play to their strengths? Not good coaching.

Tubby was an average coach who overachieved. A lot of that is because of UK.

Rick is out of Tubby's league on the floor.

Pitino did nothing but great things at UK. Hate that he went to Louisville but don’t hate him.

Reactions: morgousky
WHAT??? You mean some of you people don't like me?? That hurts...really hurts...
Billy-Gillispie.jpg

Pitino was a scum bag, he was a good coach, it was a great day when he left Ky, if he had not Ky would be in the same situation as the ville is today.. Ky was a great program long before Slick Rick..

I disagree. I graduated from UK in 1996. During that time, RP took us to heights rivaling what Cal’s done. He had us rolling and it was good fun. Echoing the other posters, I think his fall from grace is more tragic than hate worthy. Sutton and Gillispie are definitely worth considering, however.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
When you look the the coaching history of UK basketball, Tubby Smith will always be the black eye. Just a .760 winning percentage and 1 title. I mean sure Eddie Sutton never won a title, had a worse winning %, a losing season, and got us put on devastating probation, but at least he isn't Tubby. Same will Gillispie, sure he never won a title, missed the tournament, had a much worse winning percentage, was a miserable drunk who was abusive to his players, but again, he wasn't Tubby.

I still don't know how Tubby is in the UK HOF and Sutton and Gillispie aren't.

I say add a gold star for his work at UofL. Couldn't turn out any better for us. When people think UK and Pitino they think greatness. His scum is associated with them. I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: deplion
Most hated? That’s crazy. For me, he is the most beloved coach in UK history. This is a coach who turned lOOieville into the pace car of college basketball scandals. He has completely ruined their reputation and, when NCAA sanctions are levied, will have crippled the lOOieville basketball program for years to come. I praise the ground Rick Pitino walks on.

Reactions: deplion
Who is this guy Billy Clyde? His alleged story is a myth that never happened. Totally made up...

Joe Hall..was nearly blacklisted by a bitter Rupp but reminded everyone he was a caretaker.
Tubby was absolutely NOT the best X and O coach. His offensive sets were terrible and he rarely was able to even get off a shot at the end of a half. We all have a lot of dislike for Sutton, however, if you're talking strictly basketball knowledge he was a master at the mental part of the game.

Tubby was not a great X's and O's coach. That is a myth. Just because he slowed the game down and micro managed doesn't mean he was great. This mainly stems from one game, Duke, and if he tried that 10 more times he's probably lose.

Remember Tubby going to Sharay Thomas against Uconn in the tournament for the win? That's not good coaching. All of the games we blew because Tubby wouldn't let his teams run or play to their strengths? Not good coaching.

I remember when "Charade" Thomas was "The Man" that game. Just another indictment of how far our program had slipped under Tubby.

Probably the WORST X and O's coach we ever had. Watching his teams on offense was quite frankly "offensive".

Reactions: morgousky
Tubby for me cause HE just flat out sucked! As far as I am concerned he cost of couple titles with his style of play and not getting teams ready for March. Tubby was hot trash and couldn't recruit worth a damn! When Bobby Perry is your best recruit in 3 years you have problems!
Don't forget Mike Williams.

Reactions: buckkiller
Pitino did nothing but great things at UK. Hate that he went to Louisville but don’t hate him.
The title of the post probably should be reworded to reflect the most hated coach during his tenure at UK. I would have to say that Eddie Sutton wins that title hands down due to the probation.

When you look the the coaching history of UK basketball, Tubby Smith will always be the black eye. Just a .760 winning percentage and 1 title. I mean sure Eddie Sutton never won a title, had a worse winning %, a losing season, and got us put on devastating probation, but at least he isn't Tubby. Same will Gillispie, sure he never won a title, missed the tournament, had a much worse winning percentage, was a miserable drunk who was abusive to his players, but again, he wasn't Tubby.

I still don't know how Tubby is in the UK HOF and Sutton and Gillispie aren't.
Nice post, Keyser.

And I sure haven't said that very often over the years. ;)

Pitino is a pathological liar and sociopath. He banged a bimbo on a restaurant table and paid to kill his unborn child. Then the cheating at UL. That he had a successful run at UK doesn’t change that. Some things transcend success on the court.

Reactions: chevyman 50
Pitino could have been the king of Kentucky. Now he is hated throughout the state by both Kentucky and Louisville fans. He was a phenom during the mid 90s, but his ego ate him alive. By the end, he had transformed into an undignified and sleazy cheater that was kicked out of the Commonwealth under shameful circumstances. One thing I'm certain of is that he will never take responsibility for his downfall. He will blame, deflect, and litigate until the bitter end.

I agree with most of this, but truth be told, Eddie was the best Xs and Os coach we have had since Rupp, followed by Pitino. I do realize what happen in his tenure, but the man could flat out game coach.

Reactions: brianpoe
Pitino is a pathological liar and sociopath. He banged a bimbo on a restaurant table and paid to kill his unborn child. Then the cheating at UL. That he had a successful run at UK doesn’t change that. Some things transcend success on the court.

Pitino is a pathological liar and sociopath. - @ Louisville

He banged a bimbo on a restaurant table - @ Louisville

paid to kill his unborn child. -
So Louisville

Then the cheating at UL. - Yes, @ Louisville

I know you are battered Irish. Living next to those tards for that length of time, hell, you probably think Louisville is just UK's city extension campus. I'm putting your mind at ease, between you and me...........no one outside Kentucky knew who Louisville was until now. Do not attract attention to the situation, don't allow for linkage.

ADVERTISEMENT