ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Being Fired?

Yes, he would.

Donovan turned down UK twice, can just about hand pick his team when he returns (UNC, Duke, Syracuse, etc all will be opening) and they are better jobs than the other team in the state of Kentucky. He's got no connections to louisville, it's small time compared to other options, and they have a terrible rep.

No, he wouldn't.

Man, it's crazy how different louisville looks to people in the other 49 states. Some of you think they've got a status that outside kentucky, they dont have.

Hell, they barely have one in Kentucky.

I am not saying he would take the job- a lot of that depends on timing and a myriad of other factors. But there are very few college positions Donovan would even consider. UL is among those few.
This isn't meant to be a "troll" post or designed to kick the hornets nest.
I'll disengage.

There has never been one shred of evidence that Donovan would be interested in Louisville. Turning down UK twice is more evidence he wouldn't than anything you've got.

Again, he's a former assistant under Pitino at UK. He has absolutely no connection to Louisville, aside from his former boss coaching there. Billy seems like the type that would rather stay away from the little brother shadow.

Also don't forget that not only did Billy coach at UK, He coached against UK for a long time. He knows the state, the passion, and the love for UK basketball and has the respect of this program. He also knows if he wanted it after Cal, he could get it.

But naa, he wants UL because??? What?

Billy should stick in the NBA and wait for either UNC or UK. he matches those programs, and both would want him if Cal left for the pros or Roy retired.

And I think thats exactly what he'll do unless something crazy happens, and he wants a job immediately.

All coaches for the future will take note of Pitino. You dont think Billy knows UL (and having to compete against UK) basically ruined him? But he will be thrilled to tske that risk, why? Because Rick coached there?

Some of you need to stop and think, and get the idea that louisville is a big time program out of your head. Living in Kentucky makes them appear more important than they are. No one else discusses them at all.

Reactions: jedwar and brianpoe
Also don't forget that not only did Billy coach at UK, He coached against UK for a long time. He knows the state, the passion, and the love for UK basketball and has the respect of this program. He also knows if he wanted it after Cal, he could get it.

But naa, he wants UL because??? What?

Billy should stick in the NBA and wait for either UNC or UK. he matches those programs, and both would want him if Cal left for the pros or Roy retired.

And I think thats exactly what he'll do unless something crazy happens, and he wants a job immediately.

All coaches for the future will take note of Pitino. You dont think Billy knows UL (and having to compete against UK) basically ruined him? But he will be thrilled to tske that risk, why? Because Rick coached there?

Some of you need to stop and think, and get the idea that louisville is a big time program out of your head. Living in Kentucky makes them appear more important than they are. No one else discusses them at all.

Yeah that Billy Clyde...

Billy seems like the type that would rather stay away from the little brother shadow.

.... but for the fact that he opted to coach in the shadows of Ben Hill Griffen Stadium for 19 years, during which he could have opted for most any other job.
Donovan likes building or resurrecting, which is exactly why he stayed at Florida for as long as he did. And so while you are correct in your assessment of the UL program, that analysis is not a deterrent to Donovan. Maybe the opposite.
Again, I am not saying he would take the job -- that depends on timing and many other factors.
But your valid points aside, it is one of the few positions he would consider.
I very much doubt Donovan will ever again be a candidate for UK. He has very deep feelings for his legacy at Florida, and maintains very close ties. It would be very hard for him to coach at a rival program.

Last edited:
Donovan turned down UK twice, can just about hand pick his team when he returns (UNC, Duke, Syracuse, etc all will be opening) and they are better jobs than the other team in the state of Kentucky. He's got no connections to louisville, it's small time compared to other options, and they have a terrible rep.

No, he wouldn't.

Man, it's crazy how different louisville looks to people in the other 49 states. Some of you think they've got a status that outside kentucky, they dont have.

Hell, they barely have one in Kentucky.
Totally agree. People in other states, particularly in large cities, look at the city in general as a hick town. As far as UL, it's now a national joke and punchline. It has a terrible reputation from coast to coast.

Reactions: morgousky

Fwiw, I do not live in Kentucky. And my basketball role has never been region specific.
Though I am sure you are right- that being in Kentucky provides greater UL exposure, and alters perceptions - I haven't been so afflicted! :)

He is not leaving the NBA now, but this is a college position he'd consider leaving for.

I agree..The great lawn, Ohio river beaches, mixed in with the aromatics generated ONLY by Jeffersonville Indiana and West Louisville will seal the deal..Lock it in!

Plus , Who wouldn't want to be Zipps neighbor?

Last edited:
Gregg Marshall is the type of guy they will get. A proven commodity with a bit of an outsider persona. Someone who might be overlooked at Duke and UNC that will get to play them every year.

I don't think I want Rick fired from UL. It is not like Rick wins many games with Cal coaching Kentucky. With Rick and friends at UL, it has been a lot of fun to watch the crazy stuff happen at UL. With the dude's latest happenings, does anyone really think Rick or UL will win another title anytime soon? The dude is getting really old and his recruiting is most likely not going to improve anytime soon. Let him stay as UL coach. They really do deserve each other.
I agree with you

Gregg Marshall is the type of guy they will get. A proven commodity with a bit of an outsider persona. Someone who might be overlooked at Duke and UNC that will get to play them every year.

I don't see Gregg at UL. His rep as a huge jerk with Jurich's ego?

Could be combustible.

Although we would have a lot of fun with Mrs. Marshall's alcoholism antics.

.... but for the fact that he opted to coach in the shadows of Ben Hill Griffen Stadium for 19 years, during which he could have opted for most any other job.
Donovan likes building or resurrecting, which is exactly why he stayed at Florida for as long as he did. And so while you are correct in your assessment of the UL program, that analysis is not a deterrent to Donovan. Maybe the opposite.
Again, I am not saying he would take the job -- that depends on timing and many other factors.
But your valid points aside, it is one of the few positions he would consider.
I very much doubt Donovan will ever again be a candidate for UK. He has very deep feelings for his legacy at Florida, and maintains very close ties. It would be very hard for him to coach at a rival program.
I agree with the building and resurrecting, which he did not take him long at Florida (coincidentally Rick told him not to take the Florida job years ago, because it was a dead in job). The reason he stayed was personal, his parents moved there with him, he wanted to wait till all his children were out of school, his wife didnt want to move, and they had a young child that passed years ago and is buried in Gainsville. So he and his family had roots there, that's why he stayed. That chapter in his life has sailed. As long as he is successful in the NBA, he is not going to UL or UK, or any other college position.

Ahhhh screw it...I will be the one...Let me introduce you to the next leader of the tard circus....

Rick+Barnes+Maui+Invitational+IO5_vOPhQVvl.jpg

I don't for a second think Pitino is about to quit or get fired. But he's older now than Denny Crum was when he left, so the end isn't that far off. And while Jurich has been able in the past to offer something attractive - an up and coming sports program, a basketball program with history and tradition, more money than most others would pay, and mostly a "sports runs things in this town, so we get to do what we please and no one will question us, including the local sycophantic media" kind of thing. But all that has changed drastically. The university, the athletics department, and the people who run it all (including Jurich himself) have been under pretty constant criticism for several years now, nationally. It was always an urban school with a particular set of limitations. For a while, they could push that narrative aside and focus on the positives. Now it's an urban school with a particular set of limitations and a decade long history of one scandal after another. The future is in doubt, and Jurich has been crippled at least to an extent. In short, the story he can tell to lure a big name here isn't the same as it was before.

Last edited:
I truly want Pitino to stay there and continue to drown his legacy on his own. His narratives about Ted Kennedy, Mashburn comparisons, and his Colonel Sanders suit just oozes out with disdain.

It's Jurich who needs to be held accountable for allowing these guys to get away with their 'leader of young men' hogwash.

I'm waiting to hear about more coaches who knew about Minardi, and watch Pitino deflect and blame everyone but himself and his nephews.

Where's Wayne Turner in all this?

If RP is fired...and "fired" being the key word, UL will go after someone with a squeaky clean reputation. They will have to at least put on the appearance of trying to clean up that cesspool.

Reactions: brianpoe
I agree with the building and resurrecting, which he did not take him long at Florida (coincidentally Rick told him not to take the Florida job years ago, because it was a dead in job). The reason he stayed was personal, his parents moved there with him, he wanted to wait till all his children were out of school, his wife didnt want to move, and they had a young child that passed years ago and is buried in Gainsville. So he and his family had roots there, that's why he stayed. That chapter in his life has sailed. As long as he is successful in the NBA, he is not going to UL or UK, or any other college position.

I think this is right. I just cannot figure out why anyone believes ge'd have interest in Louisville.

Turns down UK, stays at Florida
Turns down UK again, stays at Florida
Could have had Indiana, stays in OKC

Louisville opens, Donovan takes, what, his dream job? Because his former college coach was there?

Completely ridiculous.

You dont turn down UK and Indiana a combined 3 times to end up at a program like louisville unless it's your home school and alma mater.

I think this is right. I just cannot figure out why anyone believes ge'd have interest in Louisville.

Turns down UK, stays at Florida
Turns down UK again, stays at Florida
Could have had Indiana, stays in OKC

Louisville opens, Donovan takes, what, his dream job? Because his former college coach was there?

Completely ridiculous.

You dont turn down UK and Indiana a combined 3 times to end up at a program like louisville unless it's your home school and alma mater.

As to the reasons "why".,. You would have to take it up with Donovan.

As to the reasons "why".,. You would have to take it up with Donovan.

I wouldnt ask him because he would agree with me. Those rumors started in Louisville. All because 40 years ago Rick coached him, at providence?

Since it was your claim, can you list any good reasons at all?

Certainly a lot of this is true. Christine miscarried very late in her pregnancy. It was a very, very tough time for the family.
And though the factors you mentioned played a big role in his staying at Florida, the bigger factors were his relationship with Foley and a passion for what he was building.
Donovan is a guy, who as I said, likes building and resurrecting. But he is also a huge relationship guy. He only left for the NBA when lured by Sam Presti -- a friend he inherently trusted, and a guy who had already hired a couple Florida staffers.
If Donovan ever does return to the college game, the same significance will be placed on trust and relationships when picking his landing spot.
Anyway, I've kicked the hornets nest with my suggestion and didn't mean to do that.
So I'll bow out.

Last edited:
Certainly a lot of this is true. Christine miscarried very late in her pregnancy. It was a very, very tough time for the family.
And though the factors you mentioned played a big role in his staying at Florida, the bigger factors were his relationship with Foley and a passion for what he was building.
Donovan is a guy, who as I said, likes building and resurrecting. But he is also a huge relationship guy. He only left for the NBA when lured by Sam Presti -- a friend he inherently trusted.
If Donovan ever does return to the college game, the same significance will be placed on trust and relationships when picking his landing spot.
Anyway, I've locked the hornets nest with my suggestion and didn't mean to do that.
So I'll bow out.

So he'll find that same trust at Louisville with a man like Jurich? Does his name and rep mean anytbing to him?

I dont think you kicked a hornets nest, I just dont think you're thinking it through and have bought into louisville's dream that they can attract top notch coaches. Rick only went there to be back in the state. It had nothing to do with UL.

Reactions: BoxterS
So he'll find that same trust at Louisville with a man like Jurich? Does his name and rep mean anytbing to him?

I dont think you kicked a hornets nest, I just dont think you're thinking it through and have bought into louisville's dream that they can attract top notch coaches. Rick only went there to be back in the state. It had nothing to do with UL.

My comments here are not originated at the UL rumor mill.

They must be because that's where the nonsense started. What are you basing this on, quick summary?

I don't live in Kentucky nor read louisville rumors. In fact, I didn't know this one was prevelant. Quite frankly, I think the whole "pitino being fired" thing is rubbish, so I would be inclined to discount the entire premise.

I don't live in Kentucky nor read louisville rumors. In fact, I didn't know this one was prevelant. Quite frankly, I think the whole "pitino being fired" thing is rubbish, so I would be inclined to discount the entire premise.

So you've avoided answering my question twice now. I take it you thinking Donovan would head to Louisvillle is based on gut?

So you've avoided answering my question twice now. I take it you thinking Donovan would head to Louisvillle is based on gut?

Lol.
As you've deduced, it's not a question I'll answer.
Don't make me avoid it a third time! I feel like mayweather over here- slipping, ducking and dodging.

ADVERTISEMENT