ADVERTISEMENT

pitch / strike zone video calls

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
We see them all the time now, a visual rectangle where the strike zone is thought to be on a batter and the pitch hitting/missing that rectangle creating outrage.
I have thought for years they could automate balls and strikes with multiple camera views.
However what these videos we often see are ignoring is that what matters is where is the ball when it crosses the plate (front or back), and NOT where the ball is when the catcher catches it.

I am sure that it could be done, and maybe it is something that would be great, but the traditionalist in me is against it. Humans are a part of the game, and umpires with unique strike zones and such are a part of that. I think umpires get it right a large portion of the time and it really isn’t necessary to replace them. The only reason I can see to replace them might be for a lack of umpires to begin with. Which, does seem to be happening, especially as we see the sport become competitive for kids at even younger ages. So, maybe it is a good idea to develop the technology and use it if needed, but would prefer us to continue to have the human element of ball and strike callers.

I could be wrong but didnt the minor leagues go to a computerized strike zone a few years ago? Or maybe it was an independent league.

Problem is, I think the current computerized ones go on where the ball is caught, not where it is when it crosses the plate.

ADVERTISEMENT