ADVERTISEMENT

Photos of bowl rings. Nice.

I don't have a problem with having a bowl ring, and I'm surprised most bowls don't give these out to both teams pregame anyway as part of the swag.

Initially, it does seem a little strange for the school to put the Bowl game on the ring since it was a loss. However, when you compare it to Final Four or National Runner-up banners, it's really the same thing..."Hey, we made it but didn't win!"
Not the same at all. Maybe if they had made the college football playoff championship. A final four or runner up is means you were in the top 4 of 300+ teams. Losing in a bowl game means you are 41-80 place.

Even a S16 net in basketball is more legit than these rings.

This is for the players, not the fans. These players, especially the seniors have been through years of hell to get UK football back to respectability. If you want to call it a "participation trophy" go right ahead but if I was a player, it would be a keepsake to show my kids and grandkids someday and know that I was part of a team that helped turn (hopefully) UK football around! They have worked hard and they earned it.

This is for the players, not the fans. These players, especially the seniors have been through years of hell to get UK football back to respectability. If you want to call it a "participation trophy" go right ahead but if I was a player, it would be a keepsake to show my kids and grandkids someday and know that I was part of a team that helped turn (hopefully) UK football around! They have worked hard and they earned it.

Again, they accomplished some things in '16 that hasn't been done in awhile. More to do for sure. Let them enjoy it.

I'm not going to indict anyone for ordering them, but I have to admit that after a little reflection, I find myself pretty ambivalent about the practice. Were I a player, I'd not be rocking my Gator Bowl loss ring as daily equipment.

I'm not going to indict anyone for ordering them, but I have to admit that after a little reflection, I find myself pretty ambivalent about the practice. Were I a player, I'd not be rocking my Gator Bowl loss ring as daily equipment.
I can kinda see both sides but I don't look at it as a Gator Bowl "loss" ring as much as just a Gator Bowl ring. Maybe not in future years but since it has been a long time since we went bowling, a way of saying, yeah, we made it back to a bowl! Personally, this is the type of stuff you need to do to have a "players first" program. They may not "rock" it but they will always know they got it. This is a lot of something about nothing.....

Despite the reluctance of some to admit it the program made progress in '16 and they want to celebrate that. It's amusing that this ring stuff that has been going on for decades...decades...and happens about everywhere but some are just now reacting to it.
We go to bowls so infrequently some of our fans are surprised about the rings.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT