1f48e.png
1f48e.png
#WeAreUK

C9snRViXkAAStHe.jpg

C9snRViWAAArYPk.jpg

C9snRXGWAAAld2J.jpg

C9snRcvWAAApddG.jpg

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
Exactly, UK gets rings for losing a bowl game? Gotta say, not sure I would ever wear it if I were a player, maybe just stick it in a drawer somewhere. Not saying the kids shouldn't be proud of getting to a bowl game after 5 or 6 years, but rings for losing, just strange.

C9iOtZ7U0AAbHw0.jpg:large

Previous

I can't say I am a fan of this at all. Call me a debbie downer, but the fact of the matter is that we got a ring just for going to a bowl game and then to make it even more strange and ridiculous, we make one entire side to commemorate our win in the Governor's Cup against Louisville. I can almost guarantee you that if Louisville had done this very thing that most of us would be laughing about how they are still and always will be Little Brother. I will say that I think it is great for the players to have something to be proud of, but a ring to commemorate it is a bit much IMO.

I can't say I am a fan of this at all. Call me a debbie downer, but the fact of the matter is that we got a ring just for going to a bowl game and then to make it even more strange and ridiculous, we make one entire side to commemorate our win in the Governor's Cup against Louisville. I can almost guarantee you that if Louisville had done this very thing that most of us would be laughing about how they are still and always will be Little Brother. I will say that I think it is great for the players to have something to be proud of, but a ring to commemorate it is a bit much IMO.

Bowl runner ups have been getting rings for years, no decades. This is much ado about nothing.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Bowl runner ups have been getting rings for years, no decades. This is much ado about nothing.

Do they always put the win against their rival on the ring?

Maybe your right... if that is the case then the practice itself seems corny to me and it isn't on us.

Reactions: Jbapp1978
This is a participation ring! Thanks for playing... here everyone gets a ring.

These guys shouldn't wear that ring with pride. This should be something they are ashamed of. Its a reminder of failure against Georgia Tech. There are times the basketball team didn't cut down the nets after winning because they aspired to win bigger games AND they WON!! UK Lost and shouldn't be happy about a participation award.

Pictures should have never been posted, the staff shouldn't have made a fuss about it. It gives more ammo for teams who are recruiting against us. "Did you see UK's participation rings?? Why go there when you can come here and wear a winners ring". ---Get the point??

check out the link

http://www.secrant.com/kentucky-spo...ay-for-losing-in-the-taxslayer-bowl/69704494/

It doesn't matter what either team does, if Louisville does it, we'll mock them. If we do it, they'll mock us. Doesn't matter how petty or legit it is. See how many of the players are proud to have gotten something for their work over the last few years. Yeah we all wanted to win the game and don't want to be satisfied with just getting to a bowl. But let's not be worried they got a ring to commemorate making a bowl game.

Some of these guys had multiple 2 win seasons and 0 wins over their rival...I doubt the will be embarrassed leaving with a commemorative ring for the bowl game that they made it to (after 4-5 years of nothing)...I also doubt they are embarrassed that the side panel shows the Governors Cup win. (the largest underdog winner of the season, on the road to break a 5 year streak.)

I'm not for participation trophies but if this will motivate our guys to win our bowl game this year. I'm all for it.

Giving out rings for losing is quite pathetic and sad. But this is the society we live in. Rewarded for being adequate.

Reactions: ky8335
No more embarrassing than coming here and showing your ass.
Less sunshine, more reality. Its silly to get rings for a loss. That means had GT blown us out 60-0 would you still be ok with a ring? Putting things into proper perspective makes taking rings look desperate.

Despite the reluctance of some to admit it the program made progress in '16 and they want to celebrate that. It's amusing that this ring stuff that has been going on for decades...decades...and happens about everywhere but some are just now reacting to it.

I don't have a problem with having a bowl ring, and I'm surprised most bowls don't give these out to both teams pregame anyway as part of the swag.

Initially, it does seem a little strange for the school to put the Bowl game on the ring since it was a loss. However, when you compare it to Final Four or National Runner-up banners, it's really the same thing..."Hey, we made it but didn't win!"

ADVERTISEMENT