ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele predictions

Safe, predictable picks re SECE. UK can't rise above 4th until they show they can beat the three teams in front of them.

Safe, predictable picks re SECE. UK can't rise above 4th until they show they can beat the three teams in front of them.

Until someonne shows they can beat UF with any consistency they have to be the top team in the East. I don't think they are the best or most talented, but I am sure they are in our heads, most likely UK's too because they have had so much success against us. This year the schedule has a funny twist, UT and UF both play LSU and Bama from the west, That leads me to think they will each have 2 conference losses unless LSU performs like OM did for Coach O.

Until someonne shows they can beat UF with any consistency they have to be the top team in the East. I don't think they are the best or most talented, but I am sure they are in our heads, most likely UK's too because they have had so much success against us. This year the schedule has a funny twist, UT and UF both play LSU and Bama from the west, That leads me to think they will each have 2 conference losses unless LSU performs like OM did for Coach O.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if LSU ends up like last year's OM. While LSU finished strong in '16 and I very much like their OC/DC, I have very little confidence in Orgeron. If their good RB were to get hurt they'd be screwed.

That's about as safe a prediction as possible. Until uk can consistently compete and start to beat Florida Tennessee and Georgia hard to move up the ladder.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don't remember seeing too many bold predictions over the years. Most are premised solely off last season. Some teams will shock the college football world this year, but I don't expect any publication to predict them.

I'm sure in Bayou land the natives are tickled that Ed Orgeron is the new coach of their LS an a U Tigars. Ed the the last kid of a big family and known along the South Bayous as "Bebe". Ed has always been a relentless recruiter. Imo he will get the best of the best in Louisiana. Still remain's to be proven if he's a head coach success.
Not surprised that Phil has THE CATS a 4th pick. Till we beat Gators, Vols, and Dawags a couple years back to back before he'll change his prediction.
Coach Stoops recruiting is best in my WILDCAT memory. Finally great expectation for UK football!

I always enjoy WC's informed opinions on Steele's predictions-------I hope he isn't mad at us, after all the NCAA hasn't even touched their football program-----yet.

I always enjoy WC's informed opinions on Steele's predictions-------I hope he isn't mad at us, after all the NCAA hasn't even touched their football program-----yet.
I'm usually a first day buyer but medical treatments and imminent vacation crept up on me. Forgot it was mid-June. Going out looking for a copy tomorrow. [winking]

Peace

I'm usually a first day buyer but medical treatments and imminent vacation crept up on me. Forgot it was mid-June. Going out looking for a copy tomorrow. [winking]\

Come on, get your priorities straight, but we are getting to the age where medical treatments do enter into the picture, hope it's the routine things.

UT plays LSU and Bama.

UF plays LSU and A&M (both at home, b/c of the LSU debacle last year)

Grumpy - regarding the UF schedule, the Gators don't play Alabama from the West this year. UF plays LSU and Texas A&M, both in Gainesville. The Gators also get Tennessee and Vandy at home, as well as FSU. The only SEC road trips for UF in 2017 are Mizzou, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

Actually saw a lot of positives in PS magazine. First and foremost, he picks Kentucky to have the 4th most improved rush defense in the country. Naturally, because we were so God Awful last year, almost have to improve, but he also picks UK to have the 22nd best LB corps and 27th best secondary, so if those predictions pan out, should be a lot better defense which should equal more wins. He picks us 7-5 with a Music City Bowl bid, probably about right, although I hope for better.

Interesting that he picked UK as only the 10th best offensive line in the SEC and our RB corps was way down the list as well (#51 in the US, IIRC). But to be fair to PS and in reality, we have one proven RB, and with 12 or 13 games, there are a lot of 1000 yard rushers out there, just like Benny Snell was.

Reactions: JasonS. and jauk11
Actually saw a lot of positives in PS magazine. First and foremost, he picks Kentucky to have the 4th most improved rush defense in the country. Naturally, because we were so God Awful last year, almost have to improve, but he also picks UK to have the 22nd best LB corps and 27th best secondary, so if those predictions pan out, should be a lot better defense which should equal more wins. He picks us 7-5 with a Music City Bowl bid, probably about right, although I hope for better.

Interesting that he picked UK as only the 10th best offensive line in the SEC and our RB corps was way down the list as well (#51 in the US, IIRC). But to be fair to PS and in reality, we have one proven RB, and with 12 or 13 games, there are a lot of 1000 yard rushers out there, just like Benny Snell was.

Bennie wasn't a 12 or 13 game rusher.

Bennie wasn't a 12 or 13 game rusher.

Understood, and I love Benny, but my point was his stats just don't pop off the page, lots of teams have good running backs, especially in the SEC, damn, you should check out the rosters of some of the top teams, unbelievable what they have stockpiled. I did not know that Chubb was back plus Michel at UGA, for one. Alabama is just a joke at RB, really amazing.

Grumpy - regarding the UF schedule, the Gators don't play Alabama from the West this year. UF plays LSU and Texas A&M, both in Gainesville. The Gators also get Tennessee and Vandy at home, as well as FSU. The only SEC road trips for UF in 2017 are Mizzou, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

Sorry, my mistake, eyes probably crossed or after too much rum and saw double when I looked at schedules.

UT plays LSU and Bama.

UF plays LSU and A&M (both at home, b/c of the LSU debacle last year)

At least we get them later in the year giving our OL time to come around, I don't really know what to expect from either of UF's western opponents, A&M is a real puzzle, from what I read, Sumlin has to win this year and I think it has to be 10+ games, will be tough. Who knows what to expect from LSU, the guys will play for O and they have some talent everywhere other than qb. We have to step up and beat UF, can't expect the west to help us. I don't think they are world beaters, maybe the lowest talent level they have been in 10 years overall, but they are just in our heads.

At least we get them later in the year giving our OL time to come around, I don't really know what to expect from either of UF's western opponents, A&M is a real puzzle, from what I read, Sumlin has to win this year and I think it has to be 10+ games, will be tough. Who knows what to expect from LSU, the guys will play for O and they have some talent everywhere other than qb. We have to step up and beat UF, can't expect the west to help us. I don't think they are world beaters, maybe the lowest talent level they have been in 10 years overall, but they are just in our heads.

I just don't get the hype over UF this year. I don't see anything to suggest that they are going to be a world beater (Phil Steele thinks they are his top dark horse national title contender). Their SEC schedule is favorable thanks to LSU's antics last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to both A&M and LSU at home. To me, if Zaire comes in there and takes over the QB job, that is more of a negative than a positive (remember when the guy from ND went to FSU, it wasn't exactly a smashing success).

With that said, the one thing that UF has consistently been able to do is own the SEC east. They are woeful against the west (even the mississippi schools and Arkansas), they can't beat FSU, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to Michigan, but until Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, and UK can figure out a way to beat them, they'll continue to go to Atlanta.

I just don't get the hype over UF this year. I don't see anything to suggest that they are going to be a world beater (Phil Steele thinks they are his top dark horse national title contender). Their SEC schedule is favorable thanks to LSU's antics last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to both A&M and LSU at home. To me, if Zaire comes in there and takes over the QB job, that is more of a negative than a positive (remember when the guy from ND went to FSU, it wasn't exactly a smashing success).

With that said, the one thing that UF has consistently been able to do is own the SEC east. They are woeful against the west (even the mississippi schools and Arkansas), they can't beat FSU, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to Michigan, but until Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, and UK can figure out a way to beat them, they'll continue to go to Atlanta.

That's the sad part. The East and UF have been there for the taking the past few years and none of the teams you mentioned can seem to do a dang thing about it. Hoping this is the year for a breakthrough and changing of the guard. Missouri made a little noise when they first came into the SEC but have settled nicely towards the bottom. Hoping this is finally a start to a rise for UK. We've waited long enough!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT