ADVERTISEMENT

Perfect Examples

TheBlueMax

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Kentucky
This is a bit of a follow up to an earlier, recent discussion about Matt Jones and the KSR call-in radio show.

Matt comes on the air this morning (Friday, Feb 4) and almost immediately reveals that he doesn't know when or even if Kentucky left for Alabama, and can only speculate on that issue (fairly important and newsworthy since it's a big game that could be moved to Sunday), and then wonders aloud how Kentucky has done recently at Alabama (also a fact worth knowing), but in neither case, none of them on the air know these things. That's because they do no research or homework, make no preparations for the show, and don't work (hard enough) for you and me to inform.

Again, I applaud their success, which is also a perfect example of this great country giving all of us the opportunity to do what we want in life, to fill a void by providing this call-in show centering on all things UK. That's great that they have made this show and that it is so popular, but you cannot rest and thereby forget to do your best to entertain and inform. How hard is it to find out those two things and more to prepare for a radio show? If you're happy with the effort they make to find out and get you the information, fine, but one of the reasons we listen (and I will continue to listen) is to get some news...when they do that, they are more credible and trusted, and are more apt to gain more listeners.

Taking things one step further, I know that I too can do better in the things in which I am involved, namely golf, skiing, my business, and my part-time jobs. Time management and discipline could be better, among other things. So, this becomes a reminder of those things for me also. Maybe we all can and should strive to be better at what we do. What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smashcat and chroix
giphy.gif

Sorry, had to do it……

Reactions: BigKari
This is a bit of a follow up to an earlier, recent discussion about Matt Jones and the KSR call-in radio show.

Matt comes on the air this morning (Friday, Feb 4) and almost immediately reveals that he doesn't know when or even if Kentucky left for Alabama, and can only speculate on that issue (fairly important and newsworthy since it's a big game that could be moved to Sunday), and then wonders aloud how Kentucky has done recently at Alabama (also a fact worth knowing), but in neither case, not of them on the air know these things. That's because they do no research or homework, make no preparations for the show, and don't work (hard enough) for you and me to inform.

Again, I applaud their success, which is also a perfect example of this great country giving all of us the opportunity to do what we want in life, to fill a void by providing this call-in show centering on all things UK. That's great that they have made this show and that it is so popular, but you cannot rest and thereby forget to do your best to entertain and inform. How hard is it to find out those two things and more to prepare for a radio show? If you're happy with the effort they make to find out and get you the information, fine, but one of the reasons we listen (and I will continue to listen) is to get some news...when they do that, they are more credible and trusted, and are more apt to gain more listeners.

Taking things one step further, I know that I too can do better in the things in which I am involved, namely golf, skiing, my business, and my part-time jobs. Time management and discipline could be better, among other things. So, this becomes a reminder of those things for me also. Maybe we all can and should strive to be better at what we do. What do you think?
They could and should do a better job. Or at least have producers that keep them from looking so sloppy.

Reactions: TheBlueMax
Perhaps don't listen or complain to someone that can change something. I appreciate your pointless vent though, thanks.

I agree someone on the show should have researched these things and had an answer once they came on the air. His show is the talk show on UK athletics and has a huge following so I agree with you that is laziness on their part. That said, from what I gather listening years ago and from on here, the show is not exactly highly intelligent sports talk and more of non-sports nonsense (I get this to an extent as you can only talk about UK sports so much, especially in the off-season of basketball/football) and gossip and just average sports knowledge at best.

Reactions: catben
I mean, they got the info and updated during the show that the team was in Alabama now. I don't get the urge to constantly complain about KSR when they've been doing the same thing for years like you didn't know it's like 80% off the cuff improvised as they go.

Reactions: bfawns
I mean, they got the info and updated during the show that the team was in Alabama now. I don't get the urge to constantly complain about KSR when they've been doing the same thing for years like you didn't know it's like 80% off the cuff improvised as they go.
"HOW DARE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT A SHOW THAT'S ALWAYS BAD!" :rolleyes:

Simple answer is don't listen. Matt's motto has ALWAYS been "Facts are optional" with KSR. Knowing this upfront, should keep you or anyone else from being upset with their show.

If you want specific info, I suggest you listen to Tom Leach's show at 8 AM or Dick Gabriel's show at 6 PM, both on 630 WLAP Lexington.

Matt comes on the air this morning (Friday, Feb 4) and almost immediately reveals that he doesn't know when or even if Kentucky left for Alabama, and can only speculate on that issue (fairly important and newsworthy since it's a big game that could be moved to Sunday), and then wonders aloud how Kentucky has done recently at Alabama (also a fact worth knowing), but in neither case, not of them on the air know these things. That's because they do no research or homework, make no preparations for the show, and don't work (hard enough) for you and me to inform.

Jones never did his 'homework.' Just lifted info from folks who did.

Stupid leftist, demomat, Marxist, he should stop listening to cnn, killing babies and running false flag operations while running his cancel culture, woke narrative propagated by critical race theory and maybe he'd get it. Am I Right? Oh, and Hillary.

Last edited:
Even funnier was when Matt was hired to do a weekly national NFL pre-game radio show. He admitted he knew nothing about football and still got the job. You just need to know how to talk and interest people to be successful.

Reactions: bbncal02
HAHA! He tweeted out your post.

LO FREAKING L.

In all seriousness, it’s a sports radio show for entertainment. Listen or don’t. I personally like most of the banter and hearing odd stories from around the Commonwealth.

Im a nerd. I love numbers and facts. Even I don’t want two hours of statistical break down. That’s not my idea of good radio.

Now, sometimes UK sports radio programs drive me nuts to. We will literally start talking about football in the middle of basketball season. When it’s something minor like, “so and so cut his list down to five choices today. Let# spend FIFTEEN MINUTES talking about that after a big basketball win”. Makes no sense. I also rember one night in early December as basketball was really ramping up, another radio program took fifteen minute to talk to the baseball coach. In December. Yeeeah.

Point being is they do what they can to fill air time and that’s hard. You think you can do a better job? Start your own stuff. It’s exactly what Matt did. This is Murica, land of endless opportunity right? Go make something if it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Even funnier was when Matt was hired to do a weekly national NFL pre-game radio show. He admitted he knew nothing about football and still got the job. You just need to know how to talk and interest people to be successful.
Because anyone can look up and read stats. Absolutely anyone with basic game knowledge. You have to be entertaining or it’s going to sound like listening to oat bran crackle.

I don't listen more than once or so a week but if you are tuning in for 2 hours of UK info or a professional show, that's just not what it is.

They could and should do a better job. Or at least have producers that keep them from looking so sloppy.
Never have listened. But your you are right… producer could make better.
I wonder if this is why I haven’t heard him fill in on ESPN in a while

Reactions: chroix
Stupid leftist, demomat, Marxist, he should stop listening to cnn, killing babies and running false flag operations while running his cancel culture, woke narrative propagated by critical race theory and maybe he'd get it. Am I Right? Oh, and Hillary.
You hit most of the get you angry and scared talking points. China was all that you left out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT