ADVERTISEMENT

pepperdine kicking Zags

What does that even mean? I don’t understand the hostility and venom towards us on your board. I wish nothing but success for your team until you face us. The only teams that I hate are Duke Carolina and Arizona but the animus and hostility towards us on your board is truly bizarre.
Dont take it personally, there are a dedicated group of jerks on this board who hate mostly everyone. Kentucky fans as a whole dont really care about you guys.

I do agree with this. We can score on anyone, yet defensively have not been very good.

For instance, we scored 90 on UNC, yet let them score a 100. That's not a winning formula. (although, the game was AT Chapel Hill and we were missing Tillie & our back-up PG), but still, defense has been sub par for much of the season. We let Tennessee go

While we lead the Nation in 2pt FG defense, we used to be near dead last in 3pt FG defense. Zags let Tennessee go 6-9 from 3pt land in final 3 mins of the game to give up a 9 pt lead during final mins. That's terrible perimeter defense. Also, we are top 3 in blocked shot % and blocked shots per game, yet give up a sh!t ton of offensive rebounds, even vs bad teams so again, not great. Duke had 22 offensive rebounds, Tennessee had 16! Talk about 2nd chance points.

What makes no sense is the fact we lead the Nation in 2pt FG defense and blocked shots, so you'd think we'd be willing to extend our defense along perimeter....but we do not. This is clearly coached to 'allow' the opponent to shoot, maybe law of averages perhaps? But every loss this season we have given up 12 or more 3's. Its a problem, for certain.

ps. to be fair regarding Pepperdine scoring 74, the score was 88-44 with 6:13 to play and when we pulled the entire starting 5. Pepperdine scored 30 pts in 6 minutes vs end of bench, but otherwise, I agree with you.
I'm not sure how it's possible that the metrics can accurately compare a team that is playing subpar opponents to teams that are playing legit P5 competition every game.

I know these metrics are supposed to account for opponent strength, but I don't see how that can be accurate.

I have to believe that being up by 40+ points, but winning by 26 and giving up 74 will skew the formulas.

Gonzaga could have won that game 120 - 55, but the metrics aren't going to know that.

Again, I just don't see how those metrics can be accurate

But you let Pepperdine score 74 points. That's a problem and the reason why some here think you're about to be over seeded.

I think Gonzaga is a FF team, but their defense might be a bit of an issue.
We were up by 44 in the second half and put in the deep bench including walk ones and took our foot off of the gas with 10 minutes left. There is literally zero to take away from a 26 point win over Pepp except that Tillie is back and healthy.

What does that even mean? I don’t understand the hostility and venom towards us on your board. I wish nothing but success for your team until you face us. The only teams that I hate are Duke Carolina and Arizona but the animus and hostility towards us on your board is truly bizarre.

I don’t think there is any animosity toward the Zags.

You on the other hand....

We were up by 44 in the second half and put in the deep bench including walk ones and took our foot off of the gas with 10 minutes left. There is literally zero to take away from a 26 point win over Pepp except that Tillie is back and healthy.
Yeah, I didn't expect Tillie to be back at all this year. I was watching the first half last night and saw he was playing. Had to do a double take.

No doubt, Gonzaga is FF good this year and I agree, the final score doesn't always tell the true story of how the game actually was, so keep that in mind when you're judging UK.

Reactions: kl40504
Yeah, I didn't expect Tillie to be back at all this year. I was watching the first half last night and saw he was playing. Had to do a double take.

No doubt, Gonzaga is FF good this year and I agree, the final score doesn't always tell the true story of how the game actually was, so keep that in mind when you're judging UK.
No doubt!? There is nothing but doubt! It amazes me how long these Zags threads get when anyone dares to question Gonzaga's greatness. They played 3 ranked teams and lost twice, then they went out west and started playing nobody! They'll have their chance to prove their worth soon enough, but to say they are "no doubt" FF good is ridiculous. They are completely unproven.

No doubt!? There is nothing but doubt! It amazes me how long these Zags threads get when anyone dares to question Gonzaga's greatness. They played 3 ranked teams and lost twice, then they went out west and started playing nobody! They'll have their chance to prove their worth soon enough, but to say they are "no doubt" FF good is ridiculous. They are completely unproven.
They're good enough to get to a final four. They are one of 6 teams that can win it all this year. You don't have to believe that, but it looks to me like they're easily good enough to get to a FF.

I still think they would have several more losses if they played in a legit conference though. I don't know if that means they wouldn't be a 1 seed, but they have 4 dudes that are NBA players on their roster.

“Final four good” doesn’t mean that we are guaranteed to make the final four but it does mean that we are good enough to get there. We are the number one team in the nation, to think that we are not good enough to get there is folly. Now can we get upset along the way? Absolutely, that’s why we play the games. But of course the number one team in the country is “final four good”

They're good enough to get to a final four. They are one of 6 teams that can win it all this year. You don't have to believe that, but it looks to me like they're easily good enough to get to a FF.

I still think they would have several more losses if they played in a legit conference though. I don't know if that means they wouldn't be a 1 seed, but they have 4 dudes that are NBA players on their roster.
All I'm saying is is that's your opinion, and it's based on absolutely nothing. The Zags look like pro's playing bottom feeders just like every High School kid who can dunk over average kids looks like a 5*. They are unproven.

All I'm saying is is that's your opinion, and it's based on absolutely nothing. The Zags look like pro's playing bottom feeders just like every High School kid who can dunk over average kids looks like a 5*. They are unproven.
Hmm, yup, it's my opinion and for some reason you seem angry about that.

I could be way off, but they look pretty good to me.

It’s 2019.

We have ways to tell if a team is very good even if they play in a crappy conference.

That unproven team was the only one to knock off Duke at full strength this season.

Reactions: kl40504 and STL_Cat
Hmm, yup, it's my opinion and for some reason you seem angry about that.

I could be way off, but they look pretty good to me.
Nahh, I'm truly not angry, I'm sorry if I came off that way. I was only questioning the "no doubt" part of your statement. You could be proven right, but I think there's ample reason for doubt.

Reactions: kyjeff1
“Final four good” doesn’t mean that we are guaranteed to make the final four but it does mean that we are good enough to get there. We are the number one team in the nation, to think that we are not good enough to get there is folly. Now can we get upset along the way? Absolutely, that’s why we play the games. But of course the number one team in the country is “final four good”
Ha! And there it is- why are you the #1 team? You were #8 after back to back losses to Tennessee and UNC. Why are you #1 now? Because you BEAT the 7 teams ahead of you? No. Because the 7 teams ahead of you had to play tough schedules and you got to go on a blowout run of "Little Sisters of the Poor," "Nowhere U," and "Mama Johnson's School for the Blind."

You can't use "Number one team in the country" as ANY kind of evidence or basis for any argument. We all know how polls work. Here's a ratings system you'd like... http://www.compughterratings.com/CBB/rankings

UVA.png
Virginia ACC 3.860 28 2 1 2 80 1
DUKE.png
Duke ACC 3.481 26 5 2 1 2 30
UNC.png
North Carolina ACC 3.467 26 5 5 2 5 1 89
UK.png
Kentucky SEC 3.441 26 5 4 10 33 8
TENN.png
Tennessee SEC 3.390 26 4 3 2 7 7 38
LSU.png
LSU SEC 3.206 26 5 9 3 17 4 122
HOU.png
Houston AAC 3.202 28 2 8 1 20 74 14
TTU.png
Texas Tech Big 12 3.195 26 5 10 2 6 69 4
MICH.png
Michigan Big 10 3.194 26 5 6 3 8 77 3
GONZ.png
Gonzaga WCC 3.186 29 2 7 3 3 3 29
MSU.png
Michigan St Big 10 3.140 25 6 12 1 4 6 19
KU.png
Kansas Big 12 3.098 23 8 11 1 13 13 52

It's called the Pugh Ratings. He takes into account the garbage teams you've played and doesn't give credit for beating up on elementary kids during recess. I actually like this rating system to some degree, especially in the way he rates Gonzaga.

And yet the facts say the exact opposite. This thread is embarrassing

I think the number one team in the nation would be too much for them to handle. They should play the number four team in the nation, they are after all an in-state rival.
Murray State a rival? lol..

Ha! And there it is- why are you the #1 team? You were #8 after back to back losses to Tennessee and UNC. Why are you #1 now? Because you BEAT the 7 teams ahead of you? No. Because the 7 teams ahead of you had to play tough schedules and you got to go on a blowout run of "Little Sisters of the Poor," "Nowhere U," and "Mama Johnson's School for the Blind."

You can't use "Number one team in the country" as ANY kind of evidence or basis for any argument. We all know how polls work. Here's a ratings system you'd like... http://www.compughterratings.com/CBB/rankings

UVA.png
DUKE.png
UNC.png
UK.png
TENN.png
LSU.png
HOU.png
TTU.png
MICH.png
GONZ.png
MSU.png
KU.png

It's called the Pugh Ratings. He takes into account the garbage teams you've played and doesn't give credit for beating up on elementary kids during recess. I actually like this rating system to some degree, especially in the way he rates Gonzaga.

Looks like a version of the Massey Rating System...which is a good system. More than one way to skin a cat.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

UVA.png
DUKE.png
UNC.png
UK.png
TENN.png
LSU.png
HOU.png
TTU.png
MICH.png
GONZ.png
MSU.png
KU.png

Tho that's just one system.

in the composite they are 3rd.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

If I had to guess IMO, they are somewhere in the top 5.

UVA.png
DUKE.png
UNC.png
UK.png
TENN.png
LSU.png
HOU.png
TTU.png
MICH.png
GONZ.png
MSU.png
KU.png

So just to be clear you like someone who validates your bias? Is there anyone that doesn’t like that? I like the rankings where we’re number one. See how that works, my bias has been confirmed. lol At the end of the day unlike college football it will all be decided on the court. You are way too angry about all this.

So just to be clear you like someone who validates your bias? Is there anyone that doesn’t like that? I like the rankings where we’re number one. See how that works, my bias has been confirmed. lol At the end of the day unlike college football it will all be decided on the court. You are way too angry about all this.
Sure, don't we all. But what you CAN'T do is just tell what the AP and Coaches poll says. Those polls mean very little, and they especially have no meaning for a team that happens to be a dominant team in a conference filled with nobodies. I've already explained this ad nauseum. You were #8 in December and everyone ahead of you lost at least a couple games. If Gonzaga had beaten ANY of those teams ahead of them to get there, I'd be giving credit, OR even a team in the top 50 would be nice.

Here's my suggestion. Just drop this nonsense. I told you earlier what I thought of Gonzaga. But it's not enough, is it? What shall we say? That Gonzaga is the most dominant team this season? That's what being #1 means according to you. Shall I say for the record that Gonzaga will beat all comers in the NCAA-T? Crown them now! I already said above that, with the right opponents and the right breaks, I think Gonzaga could make a Final Four. If they get that 1 seed it will surely help that cause. What more do you want? I'm thinking you're just arguing for argument's sake now, and about to wear out your welcome. Just stirring the pot. :D

Ha! I missed that last little jab. I'm angry now, eh? You're a riot man.

Sure, don't we all. But what you CAN'T do is just tell what the AP and Coaches poll says. Those polls mean very little, and they especially have no meaning for a team that happens to be a dominant team in a conference filled with nobodies. I've already explained this ad nauseum. You were #8 in December and everyone ahead of you lost at least a couple games. If Gonzaga had beaten ANY of those teams ahead of them to get there, I'd be giving credit, OR even a team in the top 50 would be nice.

Here's my suggestion. Just drop this nonsense. I told you earlier what I thought of Gonzaga. But it's not enough, is it? What shall we say? That Gonzaga is the most dominant team this season? That's what being #1 means according to you. Shall I say for the record that Gonzaga will beat all comers in the NCAA-T? Crown them now! I already said above that, with the right opponents and the right breaks, I think Gonzaga could make a Final Four. If they get that 1 seed it will surely help that cause. What more do you want? I'm thinking you're just arguing for argument's sake now, and about to wear out your welcome. Just stirring the pot. :D

Why do you keep bringing up December? Because it confirms your bias. I bring up today’s rankings because it confirms mine. But again, unlike cfb, it is determined on the court. Anyway relax man, you’re gonna give yourself a heart attack; we’re grown men talking about teenagers and young men trying to put a ball through a hoop in the grand scheme of things it ain’t that important.

Not this stupid crap again. How can you be “forced” into a conference? You can’t just “join” a conference. Do you think we enjoy playing in the WCC and hearing nonsense like this thread? I swear every time I read this stuff in this board I feel like I’ve been time warped back to 2001. This is like the sixth dedicated thread on your board about us in the last two weeks, it’s really embarrassing for you guys. Honestly.
This isn’t a homer board. This is a CBB board with a Kentucky lean. Kentucky fans in general are students of the sport.

You can come here at any point of the season and find game threads for any game that’s on tv that impacts the landscape of college basketball that year. You’ll find threads discussing the majority of the top 10 all year long as that is our direct competition. You’ll also find a multitude of other teams fans that are regulars here.

Fans of basketball, talking basketball...imagine that.

The only thing embarrassing is you having to come to a “Kentucky Basketball” message board to talk about your team bc your board has minimum traffic....which in itself proves the above point.

Why do you keep bringing up December? Because it confirms your bias. I bring up today’s rankings because it confirms mine. But again, unlike cfb, it is determined on the court. Anyway relax man, you’re gonna give yourself a heart attack; we’re grown men talking about teenagers and young men trying to put a ball through a hoop in the grand scheme of things it ain’t that important.
No, in this case it's not about confirming my bias. And really, the computer rating I brought up early isn't JUST about confirming my bias. That guy has likely spent a huge amount of time perfecting his system and much more time thinking about this season and the teams than either of us. But back to December...

The reason I keep bringing up December (you know why, by the way) is because that is when Gonzaga was playing some good teams. Gonzaga's pre-conference schedule is similar to these other teams' conference schedule. Here is Gonzaga's pre-conference schedule, including opponent ratings, according to kenpom...

327 Idaho St. W, 120-79
213 Texas Southern W, 104-67
92 Texas A&M W, 94-71
78 Illinois W, 84-78
94 Arizona W, 91-74
3 Duke W, 89-87
207 North Dakota St. W, 102-60
49 Creighton W, 103-92
47 Washington W, 81-79
7 Tennessee L, 76-73
5 North Carolina L, 103-90
153 UT Arlington W, 89-55
312 Denver W, 101-40
285 North Alabama W, 96-51
211 Cal St. Bakersfield W, 89-54

Compare to UNC's conference schedule...
99 Pittsburgh W, 85-60
31 North Carolina St. W, 90-82
20 Louisville L, 83-62
86 Notre Dame W, 75-69
66 Miami FL W, 85-76
11 Virginia Tech W, 103-82
105 Georgia Tech W, 77-54
20 Louisville W, 79-69
31 North Carolina St. W, 113-96
66 Miami FL W, 88-85
1 Virginia L, 69-61
164 Wake Forest W, 95-57
3 Duke W, 88-72
15 Florida St. W, 77-59
38 Syracuse W, 93-85
28 Clemson W, 81-79
110 Boston College W, 79-66
3 Duke W, 79-70

I've underlined the rating of each opponent. As you can see, Gonzaga's pre-conference schedule is SIMILAR to UNC's conference schedule. I would note, just to be fair, UNC played NO team rated lower than 164 in the conference. Gonzaga played 7 teams rated lower than 164. UNC played only 3 teams rated lower than 100. Now, compare to Gonzaga's conference schedule...

184 Santa Clara W, 91-48
216 Pacific W, 67-36
67 San Francisco W, 96-83
135 Loyola Marymount W, 73-55
326 Portland W, 89-66
184 Santa Clara W, 98-39
89 BYU W, 93-63
88 San Diego W, 85-69
67 San Francisco W, 92-62
33 Saint Mary's W, 94-46
135 Loyola Marymount W, 73-60
88 San Diego W, 79-67
152 Pepperdine W, 92-64
89 BYU W, 102-68
216 Pacific W, 86-66
33 Saint Mary's W, 69-55

Gonzaga played ONE (1) team rated in the top 50 in conference play- 2 games. And the irony here is that the ratings of all these teams goes up when they play (get crushed by) Gonzaga. But even so, the ratings speak for themselves. All but 2 games are against opponents outside the top 50. UNC played 11 games against top 50 teams.

So, with all this in mind, how shall we judge Gonzaga against these other top 10 teams/programs? Is it fair to judge Gonzaga in their conference with a team like UNC in their conference? Of course not. It's not apples to apples. Even though Gonzaga's nonconference has several cupcakes, it is STILL much more telling than the conference schedule. THAT is why I keep bringing up December. If we're comparing apples to apples, the best way to determine how strong Gonzaga is would be to look at their pre-conference rating and ranking.

Last edited:
Just for kicks, here is UK's conference schedule to compare the numbers...
60 Alabama L, 77-75 78 Away 10-3 0-1
92 Texas A&M W, 85-74 73 Home 11-3 1-1
149 Vanderbilt W, 56-47 56 Home 12-3 2-1
125 Georgia W, 69-49 65 Away 13-3 3-1
14 Auburn W, 82-80 69 Away 14-3 4-1
24 Mississippi St. W, 76-55 70 Home 15-3 5-1
17 Kansas W, 71-63 68 Home 16-3
149 Vanderbilt W, 87-52 66 Away 17-3 6-1
30 Florida W, 65-54 63 Away 18-3 7-1
73 South Carolina W, 76-48 68 Home 19-3 8-1
24 Mississippi St. W, 71-67 63 Away 20-3 9-1
16 LSU L, 73-71 65 Home 20-4 9-2
7 Tennessee W, 86-69 68 Home 21-4 10-2
76 Missouri W, 66-58 59 Away 22-4 11-2
14 Auburn W, 80-53 63 Home 23-4 12-2
51 Arkansas W, 70-66 64 Home 24-4 13-2
7 Tennessee L, 71-52 66 Away 24-5 13-3
43 Mississippi W, 80-76 68 Away 25-5 14-3
30 Florida W, 66-57 61 Home 26-5 15-3

In conference, UK had 11 games against top 50 opponents. Gonzaga had 2.
Kentucky had 8 games against top 25 opponents. Gonzaga had 0.

Yeah, I spent all that time answering the first part of your question and I missed the jabs that followed. I find it hilarious that you've retreated so far in this discussion to the point that you're trying to get me to shut up by claiming this topic is irrelevant to the grand scheme. That's your best line yet. But it begs the question: why are you here? I'm here because I post here regularly. Why are you here if this doesn't matter? And why try to silence us with your passive aggressive rants and these kinds of ad hominem arguments if it doesn't matter? You just argued yourself out of the argument. Good job! I think we're done. :D

Reactions: SophiesDad
Yeah, I spent all that time answering the first part of your question and I missed the jabs that followed. I find it hilarious that you've retreated so far in this discussion to the point that you're trying to get me to shut up by claiming this topic is irrelevant to the grand scheme. That's your best line yet. But it begs the question: why are you here? I'm here because I post here regularly. Why are you here if this doesn't matter? And why try to silence us with your passive aggressive rants and these kinds of ad hominem arguments if it doesn't matter? You just argued yourself out of the argument. Good job! I think we're done. :D
None of it matters because it will all play out on the court. We are #1 in the country and that really bothers you, let it go my friend, let it go.

Probably makes better sense to stop now but you keep going. You seem to be on a roll...[eyeroll]

Is folly?

Remind me never to experience the language of Washington State. What’s next, anecdotal folly?

Let’s sound as ridiculous as possible.

Few is such a puss. Not easily motivated, scared, and afraid. No real competitors want to play out there days with a gift wrapped schedule and home games in no mans land West Idaho Falls. He’s comfortable and that’s cute. Hope his wife is happy with Spokane women’s club.

Great people. Puss’s, but great people. I’d go to Church with Few all day.

Anytime I want to be reminded that Kentucky's education system is a dumpster fire, a visit to a thread like this does the job.

Here are a few reasons you're getting poor reactions on this board, including negative reactions from me. You use these words in this post, which are based on a false assumption: "obsession" "petty" and "jealous"

Now, let me explain this to you.
#1 Are we obsessed? No, we are UK fans. We talk about college basketball. If UK isn't playing basketball that day, we STILL talk about basketball. You get that? Whatever is happening in the world of college basketball that day often becomes a topic. Recently, Gonzaga has been playing on days/nights that UK hasn't. Therefore, you become a topic of conversation. It's not obsession, unless you think it's a bad quality to enjoy talking about your favorite sport with like-minded people.

#2 Are we being petty? I don't think so. Gonzaga is being treated like a top 4 team. Are they? Some here believe so. Others do not. I do not believe that is the case. We can certainly discuss it without accusing people of obsession, or of being petty, or being jealous. I get it that you think have to attack to be heard here, but that is not the case. Who is being petty?

#3 Are we jealous? Here is where you have made an assumption that does not even follow. I don't think you've even thought it through. I've explained why we have been talking about Gonzaga. It was a slow night in college basketball. The only teams playing were mid-majors. You follow? It's not your fault you're in that conference, but that's where you are- playing your semifinal against a nobody on a Monday night. Listen, there is not even an OUNCE of Gonzaga jealousy here. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, nobody here cares about Gonzaga. Kentucky has been playing basketball for a long time and has many championships. The only reason Gonzaga is getting any negative reaction here is because you're ranked #1 and you're in line for a 1-seed (which you could possibly take from UK), and some of us don't think you deserve it. It's really that simple.

Now, I posted elsewhere in this thread where I think Gonzaga belongs. They should be ranked 8-10 and they should be a 2-3 seed. That's where you were after the losses to Tennessee and UNC back when you played actual good teams back in December. That's the only legitimate way to measure you guys since you're playing in such a garbage conference.

You want some respect? Maybe this will help. I think Gonzaga is an excellent program. What Mark Few has done with Gonzaga, turning it into an elite program that is in the national conversation every year, is very impressive. I think this year's team is a very good team, a top 10 team. You will likely make the Sweet 16 this season and, depending on the match-ups you could even make a Final Four. There you go. That's what I think of your program.
This is sad. A Zags fan comes here looking for respect and vindication for the Zags, and when he doesn't get enough of it, he starts insulting people. He even criticised writing style. I'm surprised he didn't indulge in grammer [sic] and mispelling [sic] corrections. From all appearances, he seems like the one who is "obsessive," "petty" and "jealous." His obsessive and petty jealousy of UK forced him to post on this board. I guess many mid-major fans have the "childrens' table" syndrome. Just like most wannabes, they are so insecure that if a UK fan went to their board and called people "obsessive" "petty" and "jealous," the UK fan would be banned immediately. I think it is nice that we are not so insecure. My vote is to keep letting him have his little temper tantrum and not ban him. It is amusing.
Few has had a good run there for 20 years. The Zags are less of a basketball program and more of a good coach putting on a good show. .Like most mid-majors, I guess they might have put players in the D League. Can you imagine the party they will have when they get their 500th all-time win? I suppose I shouldn't discuss specifics about the Zags, because for me, like most mid-majors, I know almost nothing about them, which is exactly how much I want to know.

None of it matters because it will all play out on the court. We are #1 in the country and that really bothers you, let it go my friend, let it go.
Now you're just flaming my friend. All that righteous indignation you were spouting off about earlier has dissolved into a little playground rant. All your honor gone... and this is all you've got left. You said one thing correctly. It will all be decided on the court. I'm sure you'll come over and let us know if Gonzaga wins. If they lose, I'm sure your silence will be deafening. Good day to you. You've embarrassed yourself enough here.

Reactions: ftp000 and UKEE
Now you're just flaming my friend. All that righteous indignation you were spouting off about earlier has dissolved into a little playground rant. All your honor gone... and this is all you've got left. You said one thing correctly. It will all be decided on the court. I'm sure you'll come over and let us know if Gonzaga wins. If they lose, I'm sure your silence will be deafening. Good day to you. You've embarrassed yourself enough here.
He's probably NOT having a good day, and is doubtless quite embarrassed.

What do you mean “want” to be respected? We’re the # 1 team in the nation and a lock for a 1 seed. How much more “respect” do we need? lol

Getting beat by St. Marys while not even scoring 50 points. Where are you at come run your mouth some more. Exactly what everyone here was trying to tell you but you seem to ignore everyone here. Get in a real conference then go and have a great season then everyone may start to respect what they are doing. Until then you are a mid major trying to play with the big boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT