ADVERTISEMENT

pepperdine kicking Zags

I truly do not get the Gonzaga hate. "They play in a shitty conference." OK, well Cal coached at Memphis. He boatraced really shitty teams for years, then comes to UK, he is OMG Coach Cal. And i know he did wonders at UMASS, and is a great coach. But Gonzaga is a legit team year in and year out no matter what the conference is. Even at UK, the SEC was a joke for most years, now not WCC bad, but pretty damn bad. Say what you want, but Mark Few knows talent, and he reloads, not rebuild.
The reason this thread turned into what it did is because of thespywhozaggedme. Before someone apparently pulled his string, it was just UK fans talking. Pepperdine, by the way, is pure garbage. I don't think the spy would deny that.

Last edited:
Gonzaga is starting to feel like the UCF of college basketball

Except we actually have a tournament to decide what’s what in college basketball. A tournament that Gonzaga has done fairly well in. Played for the title just 2 years ago. Made it as far or farther than us each of the last 3 years. Gonzaga posters here poking you guys with a stick notwithstanding I don’t understand the need to hate on them here. It’s unbecoming, really.

Reactions: sefus12
Duke is likely overall #1 or #2 seed even despite their losses. Everyone concedes what they are with Zion.

Similarly, everyone with any basketball sense knows the Zags are a 1 seed despite the weakness of their conference.

St Marys is not great but are ranked higher in the Net than half a dozen or more SEC teams.

The poster who said Gonzaga as a 1 seed will lose in the Sweet 16 just has no credibility.

Pretty sure this is false.

Except we actually have a tournament to decide what’s what in college basketball. A tournament that Gonzaga has done fairly well in. Played for the title just 2 years ago. Made it as far or farther than us each of the last 3 years. Gonzaga posters here poking you guys with a stick notwithstanding I don’t understand the need to hate on them here. It’s unbecoming, really.

Not saying it's exactly the same, just drawing a parallel from my limited experience with Zags and UCF fans, like the guy on here.

Not saying it's exactly the same, just drawing a parallel from my limited experience with Zags and UCF fans, like the guy on here.

I’m more turned off by this board’s collective obsession with shitting on Gonzaga than one of their fans being here obnoxiously defending them. Why do we care so much? They’re actually pretty good. Just let the games decide what’s what.

I’m more turned off by this board’s collective obsession with shitting on Gonzaga than one of their fans being here obnoxiously defending them. Why do we care so much? They’re actually pretty good. Just let the games decide what’s what.

Because it's a discussion board. That's what this communication space is for. I think it's a relevant discussion.

And? Theres 20 new threads a day? Crazy to believe 6 different people (out of hundreds of members here) thought to create a thread how weak the zags schedule is and how they dont deserve a 1. I know there may be a whopping 12 people on the zags board so threads dont get buried. No one started 6 different threads bc they care, they started 6 different bc they got buried and ppl had to remind others how trash Gonzaga competition is. Do i think Gonzaga deserves a 1? Yes i do. But to pretend they earned a 1 by stiffling tough competition is just ignorant. And to hang around a kentucky board seeking validation and counting threads makes it sound like you care a whole lot what we think.

Who is pretending that we have played tough competition? We cannot control our conference, despite what some of your posters claim. That is why we play a tough out of conference schedule every year. I like to read several different message boards because I like to see different Fanbase’s perspectives. When I see a pattern, i.e. six separate dedicated threads about us on your board over the past two weeks, that piques my curiosity. The thing is, facts do not care about our feelings. And that’s true for everyone in this world.

We beat a full strength Duke, you lost to them by 30. You conveniently left that out of your narrative. OK, let’s say that both are embarrassing, this boards obsession with us as evidenced by six dedicated threads about us in the last two weeks and our conference affiliation schedule. One of them is a choice, the other one is not. We cannot choose our conference affiliation, despite what a few posters think. You guys can choose whether or not you wish to be petty and jealous.
Here are a few reasons you're getting poor reactions on this board, including negative reactions from me. You use these words in this post, which are based on a false assumption: "obsession" "petty" and "jealous"

Now, let me explain this to you.
#1 Are we obsessed? No, we are UK fans. We talk about college basketball. If UK isn't playing basketball that day, we STILL talk about basketball. You get that? Whatever is happening in the world of college basketball that day often becomes a topic. Recently, Gonzaga has been playing on days/nights that UK hasn't. Therefore, you become a topic of conversation. It's not obsession, unless you think it's a bad quality to enjoy talking about your favorite sport with like-minded people.

#2 Are we being petty? I don't think so. Gonzaga is being treated like a top 4 team. Are they? Some here believe so. Others do not. I do not believe that is the case. We can certainly discuss it without accusing people of obsession, or of being petty, or being jealous. I get it that you think have to attack to be heard here, but that is not the case. Who is being petty?

#3 Are we jealous? Here is where you have made an assumption that does not even follow. I don't think you've even thought it through. I've explained why we have been talking about Gonzaga. It was a slow night in college basketball. The only teams playing were mid-majors. You follow? It's not your fault you're in that conference, but that's where you are- playing your semifinal against a nobody on a Monday night. Listen, there is not even an OUNCE of Gonzaga jealousy here. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, nobody here cares about Gonzaga. Kentucky has been playing basketball for a long time and has many championships. The only reason Gonzaga is getting any negative reaction here is because you're ranked #1 and you're in line for a 1-seed (which you could possibly take from UK), and some of us don't think you deserve it. It's really that simple.

Now, I posted elsewhere in this thread where I think Gonzaga belongs. They should be ranked 8-10 and they should be a 2-3 seed. That's where you were after the losses to Tennessee and UNC back when you played actual good teams back in December. That's the only legitimate way to measure you guys since you're playing in such a garbage conference.

You want some respect? Maybe this will help. I think Gonzaga is an excellent program. What Mark Few has done with Gonzaga, turning it into an elite program that is in the national conversation every year, is very impressive. I think this year's team is a very good team, a top 10 team. You will likely make the Sweet 16 this season and, depending on the match-ups you could even make a Final Four. There you go. That's what I think of your program.

Geez -

-Gonzaga is a legitimate national championship contender
-The WCC sucks
-I'm sure the AAC would welcome them with open arms(they did just add non-football school Wichita St after all)

Reactions: STL_Cat
The reason it turned into what it did is because of thespywhozaggedme. Just go back and read it for yourself. He came in hot and heavy. Read my last post just above. If not for his accusing us all of obsession, this thread ends at 1 page. He's the guy laughing right now, most likely.

Hey Spy, did you inform these guys that said St. Mary's is garbage, that they played Mississippi State to within 4 points. The Cats only beat State by 4. St. Mary's also played LSU to within 4. Oh and didn't the Cats get beat by the Tigers. Mabe, just mabe some of these wcc teams are better than what these guys on here realize. If the Cats are as much better than Gonzaga as these guys think, why don't they just schedule a game with them ? Coach Few will play anyone anywhere, so just schedule a game with them. I have been a Kentucky fan ever since I started watching basketball, but this stupid obsession with Gonzaga is making it harder and harder to remain so.

The reason this thread turned into what it did is because of thespywhozaggedme. Before someone apparently pulled his string, it was just UK fans talking. Pepperdine, by the way, is pure garbage. I don't think the spy would deny that.

:cheers2:

I agree. He should discuss or defend his team with facts. Name calling is childish. It makes you look like you are losing the discussing and using name calling to deflect the situation. I agree :100points:. I watch the games and pay attention to what Gonzaga does, not what their opponent is. They have a 7 footer that just returned and he is deadly from 3. They go 9 deep, and have everything. Inside, outside, rebounding, defense, scoring. The fact that Tillie (sp) was wide open or not, he knocked down the shots. How many times has Herro, Johnson, others been open by a good 4 or 5 feet and missed ? Open or not, making the shot is all that really matters. He is a added weapon to a all ready dangerous team. They will be a factor, and deserve a 1 seed. Memphis got 1 seeds for years playing the exact same type schedule.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Hey Spy, did you inform these guys that said St. Mary's is garbage, that they played Mississippi State to within 4 points. The Cats only beat State by 4. St. Mary's also played LSU to within 4. Oh and didn't the Cats get beat by the Tigers. Mabe, just mabe some of these wcc teams are better than what these guys on here realize. If the Cats are as much better than Gonzaga as these guys think, why don't they just schedule a game with them ? Coach Few will play anyone anywhere, so just schedule a game with them. I have been a Kentucky fan ever since I started watching basketball, but this stupid obsession with Gonzaga is making it harder and harder to remain so.

Kentucky ran MSU out of the gym in their first matchup, then were blowing them out in the second matchup (at MSU) before MSU made a late run. Cherry picking your facts? If we're going transitive property, UT beat the Zags, the same UT who lost to LSU who played without its star point guard.

Most here said the exact same thing about UT before we played them "they have not played a decent team in 2 months", we beat them, and everyone thumped their chest. Then we got rag dolled at UT and that went away. Point being, you play your schedule, beat who you are suppose to, and beat some top teams. Maybe the reason Gonzaga has so few "Big" game wins is nobody will schedule them. Few seems to be the type of guy who is scared of no one and play anybody. Remember, he lost a lot the year they went to the final game. He reloaded and they are a very fun team to watch. Funny, when Kyle Wiltjer played for them, nobody said shit bad about them.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
Most here said the exact same thing about UT before we played them "they have not played a decent team in 2 months", we beat them, and everyone thumped their chest. Then we got rag dolled at UT and that went away. Point being, you play your schedule, beat who you are suppose to, and beat some top teams. Maybe the reason Gonzaga has so few "Big" game wins is nobody will schedule them. Few seems to be the type of guy who is scared of no one and play anybody. Remember, he lost a lot the year they went to the final game. He reloaded and they are a very fun team to watch. Funny, when Kyle Wiltjer played for them, nobody said shit bad about them.

Your post doesn't make sense.

All the talk about UT not playing decent teams was validated once UK blew them out at home. UK losing to them at UT was two weeks later - different context, in which no one was arguing that UK would win because UT hadn't played a decent team lately. That was only discussed for the first game.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Murray St a very good team. Ja Morant is special, a likely Top 3 pick in the Draft.

Murray & Morant could make some noise, watch out for them to sneak into the 2nd wkend.

A fun team to watch, yet not in Zags league. Gonzaga bigs would be way too much to handle over 40 mins. No team has been able to slow down our frontcourt. A couple teams have been able to contain our guards or wings, & beaten us, yet our bigs are too active and can score at every level. Even in our losses, they have been very efficient, and they can run the fastbreak themselves .

Both our bigs will be drafted in 1st Round this year (Tillie won't be, but Rui a lottery lock, and Clarke mid to late 1st).

Actually very similar to Kentucky's terrific frontcourt. Kentucky & Zags probably are the Top 2 frontcourts in all of college hoops this season.
No team has been able to slow down your front court because you're playing a bunch of high school teams.

In your two losses, the opposition's frontcourt's outperformed yours. I mean, you let a caveman drop 30 on you.

Also, how in the hell did Pepperdine score 74 points last night? Pepperdine wouldn't get out of the 40's against UK.

So yeah, Clark and Hushimaura can score, they are fun to watch. I like Norvel and Tillie too, but defense is going to be your downfall this year.

Really ? OK, then explain how the same UT team has pretty much dominated UK the last couple years ? With Reid Travis (if that is what you are referring to), UK was not winning that game. UT is just like Gonzaga, facing lesser talent for a span or not, they are legit. Travis being there would not have changed how PJ, Keldon, or Tyler played. They went into a hornets nest and got boatraced. So, for arguments sake, with Reid, they might have ONLY lost by 12 or 14. There comes a time when UK fans need to look at the situation and understand, we are not as good as we thought we where, and there are teams who are just as good, and better than UK. On any given night, it only takes one bad night, so any team can go home and that will not prove any bodies point if a top team losses. remember 2015 ? I do.

Hate to break up the Gonzaga hate party here boys, but they have made it at least as far or farther than we have in the NCAA tournament in each of the last 3 years.
Nobody is hating on Gonzaga.

We have a Gonzaga fan here that is butthurt because he doesn't like to read that his team plays in an awful conference.

But here's the deal, Gonzaga is a heck of a program that has played to seed in the NCAAT.

But have they made a FF as an 8 seed? 4 seed?

See, UK has had to battle in a legit conference each year and thus has been seeded per their wins and losses.

If our 2011, 14, 16, 17 and 18 teams played in that conference, they would have been 1 seeds too and the 16, 17 and 18 teams might have made it further than they did.

If Gonzaga had to play in a legit conference, they would certainly have several more losses and might be looking at a 3 seed instead of a 1.

They're still FF capable, but I don't see how those metrics can accurately tell us how good Gonzaga is when they're playing nothing but creampuffs.

Ha! That's hilarious. You've always been a UK fan but our Gonzaga "obsession" may make you defect? Go ahead bro. Have you read the thread? The guy who is stirring the pot is a Gonzaga fan. Nobody here is obsessed with Gonzaga. We talk college basketball and the #1 team in the nation was playing in its conference semifinal last night. That is going to get UK fans' attention. They were playing that semifinal against a Pepperdine team with an under .500 record on the season. That is going to get some jokes thrown in. But hey, if this thread is about to make you throw away your UK fandom, I gotta laugh. "Don't make fun of the poor Zags, you big meanie!" Haha!

Really ? OK, then explain how the same UT team has pretty much dominated UK the last couple years ? With Reid Travis (if that is what you are referring to), UK was not winning that game. UT is just like Gonzaga, facing lesser talent for a span or not, they are legit. Travis being there would not have changed how PJ, Keldon, or Tyler played. They went into a hornets nest and got boatraced. So, for arguments sake, with Reid, they might have ONLY lost by 12 or 14. There comes a time when UK fans need to look at the situation and understand, we are not as good as we thought we where, and there are teams who are just as good, and better than UK. On any given night, it only takes one bad night, so any team can go home and that will not prove any bodies point if a top team losses. remember 2015 ? I do.

I assume you are responding to me. Your posts are all over the place, so I can't respond to everything. Strictly regarding UT vs. UK, it's hard to imagine that UT having played no one for about 2 months played no role in how they were blitzed by UK the first time around.

I get what you're saying but disagree, and I don't understand the extreme negativity/pessimism. You are making claims based on the worst possible conceptions and assumptions about this UK team, while giving the benefit of the doubt to everyone else.

You do realize this is the most active college basketball board on rivals, right? You do realize we (UK fans) talk hoops 24/7 365, right? You do realize the Zags are the number 1 team in America, right?

If you realize all those things then it should come as no surprise we are going to talk about the Zags. Along with Duke, UNC, KU, IU, Louisville, UT, and any other team that is a rival or threat to win it all.

I suppose you just want us to ignore your program like they are some irrelevant mid-major?

If you are going to run with the big dogs...........grow some thicker skin.
This.

I love how these Johnny come lately's find our board and are stunned to see their team being talked about.

They don't understand that this is probably the most active board in all of sports and everything is on the table.

Dude wants to call US pathetic, but he's the one surfing our board while his team is playing. o_O

Ha! That's hilarious. You've always been a UK fan but our Gonzaga "obsession" may make you defect? Go ahead bro. Have you read the thread? The guy who is stirring the pot is a Gonzaga fan. Nobody here is obsessed with Gonzaga. We talk college basketball and the #1 team in the nation was playing in its conference semifinal last night. That is going to get UK fans' attention. They were playing that semifinal against a Pepperdine team with an under .500 record on the season. That is going to get some jokes thrown in. But hey, if this thread is about to make you throw away your UK fandom, I gotta laugh. "Don't make fun of the poor Zags, you big meanie!" Haha!

I am astounded by how many "UK fans" on here would seemingly take a bullet for the Zags but throw UK under the bus in a heartbeat.

Excellent post and points. Despite what a few of your posters have said, we cannot choose our conference affiliation. So all we can do is what we do do, play a tough out of conference schedule and beat our in conference opponents by an average of 28 points per game. Yeah it sucks, but it is what it is. As I mentioned in one of the other six dedicated threads on this board about us, there were rumors that the big East was going to add a western division with us, BYU and St. Mary’s to join Creighton, Marquette DePaul and Butler. But thus far that has not come to fruition so we are stuck in the WCC.
But you let Pepperdine score 74 points. That's a problem and the reason why some here think you're about to be over seeded.

I think Gonzaga is a FF team, but their defense might be a bit of an issue.

Put them in the big 12. That conference needs 2 more members. Gonzaga West Virginia home & homes would be epic.

Once again, you can't "put them" in a conference that won't take them. And the Big 12 would NEVER take Gonzaga.

Power conferences today are only interested in adding schools whose football programs add to the money pile. Surprised there are people who still don't seem to realize that.

Gonzaga's stuck between a rock and hard place. They have a big time hoops power, but NO big time conferences want them. The only one that fits their profile is the Big East, which was set up for schools like Gonzaga (private big time basketball but not football schools), but problem is they're so geographically isolated from the rest of the Big East that it doesn't want them either.

Last edited:
I truly do not get the Gonzaga hate. "They play in a shitty conference." OK, well Cal coached at Memphis. He boatraced really shitty teams for years, then comes to UK, he is OMG Coach Cal. And i know he did wonders at UMASS, and is a great coach. But Gonzaga is a legit team year in and year out no matter what the conference is. Even at UK, the SEC was a joke for most years, now not WCC bad, but pretty damn bad. Say what you want, but Mark Few knows talent, and he reloads, not rebuild.

LOL, you don't get the Gonzaga hate, but you posted the exact same "hate" fact that most are talking about.

And what does Calipari at Memphis and UMass have to do with this? I think we would all agree that those conferences were crap, but still miles better than the WCC.

Fair enough. lol I guess I meant the s**t-slinging. Gonzaga fans should have NO reason to want to come in here to try to rightfully defend their program. They're legit. They're good. Anyone who says that they couldn't beat UK on a neutral floor...with or without Reid Travis...are either lying or deluding themselves.

But yeah. Fair enough.
Did anyone actually say this? If so, I missed it.

Ok, all things equal, let's be comparative for comparative sake --

-- We beat a team you lost you (Duke). Both played on neutral courts.

-- You beat a team we lost to (UNC). You played on neutral court, we played 'em @Chapel Hill.

-- We both lost to same team (Tenn). We lost by 3 giving up a 9 pt lead with 4 mins to go on neutral court. You beat them on your home court, and were blown out by 19 on their court.

-- We both beat the same team (A&M). We beat them by 23 pts on our home court. You beat them by 11 pts on your home court.

Kentucky has more wins vs better teams than GU...yet also more losses vs worse teams than GU.

Why does Kentucky deserve a higher seed? IF Gonzaga got the same # of opportunities, say, playing Tennessee on OUR home court...don't think we'd win too? The metrics & past result indicates yes. We had the lead for 36+ mins of that game, and a 9 pt with 4 mins to go without Killian Tillie or our back-up PG, Geno Crandal (20 mpg).

Gonzaga would accumulate more overall wins, and likely losses as well, but as it stands, we have won 21 in a row vs a Conference WCC (the highest rated conference outside the Power 6 and tied w/Pac 12 in RPI). Over half the teams in WCC rank/rate higher than half the teams in SEC. That isn't because they get to play other Top-25 teams.

San Diego was neck and neck vs Ole Miss. St Mary's lead for much of the LSU and Miss St games, before losing by 4 pts each game. We beat SMC by 50. Those are teams you have lost to or barely beat.

Gonzaga average margin of victory this season is 25 ppg. The next closest is Virginia at 17 ppg, and Kentucky is 11 ppg. Kentucky has played a better schedule, but talk about relativity here. You can't make that up.
Stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Look, UK played Duke in the very first game of the season before anyone knew just how good they were. UK got blindsided.

As far as the other games, this is what you don't get. When you have to play legit P5 conference teams every game, you can't just load up and put all your preparation into one team like Gonzaga can.

UK has to bring it every night, Gonzaga hasn't had to man up since 12/15. If Gonzaga had to play a p5 opponent twice a week, their results would be different.

Oh, and I also like how you said UK beat UT on their home floor, but were blown out in Knoxville. Ha ha. UK smacked UT by 17 in Rupp and we're classy enough to not pile on. UT scored a last second bucket like a bunch of assholes. Both games were blowouts, only UK was missing Reid Travis. Still would have lost, but playing on the road without a key player in a P5 conference will get you blown out.

But you let Pepperdine score 74 points. That's a problem and the reason why some here think you're about to be over seeded.

I think Gonzaga is a FF team, but their defense might be a bit of an issue.

They where up 45 points late. You think maybe they let up a bit ? It was 47-26 at the half. i think most teams when they have a 45 point lead, may take the gas off just a bit.

The point i was trying to make in the other post was, you can be a Elite team capable of winning it all even if you play in a weak conference. Which is why i mentioned Cal at Memphis. But i do like the civil discussions and no threats or name calling. That is exactly what message boards are for. :cheers2:

Also, how in the hell did Pepperdine score 74 points last night? Pepperdine wouldn't get out of the 40's against UK.

So yeah, Clark and Hushimaura can score, they are fun to watch. I like Norvel and Tillie too, but defense is going to be your downfall this year.

I do agree with this. We can score on anyone, yet defensively have not been very good.

For instance, we scored 90 on UNC, yet let them score a 100. That's not a winning formula. (although, the game was AT Chapel Hill and we were missing Tillie & our back-up PG), but still, defense has been sub par for much of the season. We let Tennessee go

While we lead the Nation in 2pt FG defense, we used to be near dead last in 3pt FG defense. Zags let Tennessee go 6-9 from 3pt land in final 3 mins of the game to give up a 9 pt lead during final mins. That's terrible perimeter defense. Also, we are top 3 in blocked shot % and blocked shots per game, yet give up a sh!t ton of offensive rebounds, even vs bad teams so again, not great. Duke had 22 offensive rebounds, Tennessee had 16! Talk about 2nd chance points.

What makes no sense is the fact we lead the Nation in 2pt FG defense and blocked shots, so you'd think we'd be willing to extend our defense along perimeter....but we do not. This is clearly coached to 'allow' the opponent to shoot, maybe law of averages perhaps? But every loss this season we have given up 12 or more 3's. Its a problem, for certain.

ps. to be fair regarding Pepperdine scoring 74, the score was 88-44 with 6:13 to play and when we pulled the entire starting 5. Pepperdine scored 30 pts in 6 minutes vs end of bench, but otherwise, I agree with you.

Reactions: IL Wildcat and Aike
One thing i will say, teams when they play UK, good or bad teams, when they come out and see the KENTUCKY across the jersey it gives that little bit of extra motivation. Gonzaga has not reached that level of superiority. So yes, lesser teams will play UK close from time to time. And even the Elite teams we play will have a little extra pep in their step. We are the team everyone hates and would love to beat.

They where up 45 points late. You think maybe they let up a bit ? It was 47-26 at the half. i think most teams when they have a 45 point lead, may take the gas off just a bit.

The point i was trying to make in the other post was, you can be a Elite team capable of winning it all even if you play in a weak conference. Which is why i mentioned Cal at Memphis. But i do like the civil discussions and no threats or name calling. That is exactly what message boards are for. :cheers2:
Oh, so I'm supposed to give Gonzaga credit for being up by 45, but the Zag fans in here want to talk about the final scores in UK's games against Tennessee, UNC, Mississippi State, LSU and a&m?

Got it.

I too don't really understand the dislike/severe dislike some on here have for Gonzaga. They play who they can in the preseason. They do pretty well in the tourney. They beat Duke.

I've watched them play a few times this year and I've come away very impressed. MUCH better than anything else out west and someone I'd expect will do well in the tourney again this year. I have more faith in Gonzaga than I do Virginia.

Oh, so I'm supposed to give Gonzaga credit for being up by 45, but the Zag fans in here want to talk about the final scores in UK's games against Tennessee, UNC, Mississippi State, LSU and a&m?

Got it.

Nah brother i am not siding myself with the Zag fan, i give my own opinions, i could give a shit less what he says. My opinion is MINE. They got up 45, take the foot off the gas. UK has done the same, and read my post above where i stated why some lesser teams may play us close.

Now you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Don't mix my opinion based on what a Zag poster has.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT