ADVERTISEMENT

pepperdine kicking Zags

Not this stupid crap again. How can you be “forced” into a conference? You can’t just “join” a conference. Do you think we enjoy playing in the WCC and hearing nonsense like this thread? I swear every time I read this stuff in this board I feel like I’ve been time warped back to 2001. This is like the sixth dedicated thread on your board about us in the last two weeks, it’s really embarrassing for you guys. Honestly.

No your conference is embarrassing. You all want to be respected but you want to stay in a conference that is a joke. No major conference wants you not because you will beat their established teams but because you don't play football which in case you haven't noticed or checked on is where the money is in college sports. I will give you credit this year at least you did try to schedule better teams but guess what you lost 2 out of the 3 games to what I would call top level teams.. The Zags will probably make it to the elite 8 but because they haven't been in these wars all year they will get beat. So go cry and whine for your respect somewhere else.

Duke is likely overall #1 or #2 seed even despite their losses. Everyone concedes what they are with Zion.

Similarly, everyone with any basketball sense knows the Zags are a 1 seed despite the weakness of their conference.

St Marys is not great but are ranked higher in the Net than half a dozen or more SEC teams.

The poster who said Gonzaga as a 1 seed will lose in the Sweet 16 just has no credibility.

Reactions: YaySports
No your conference is embarrassing. You all want to be respected but you want to stay in a conference that is a joke. No major conference wants you not because you will beat their established teams but because you don't play football which in case you haven't noticed or checked on is where the money is in college sports. I will give you credit this year at least you did try to schedule better teams but guess what you lost 2 out of the 3 games to what I would call top level teams.. The Zags will probably make it to the elite 8 but because they haven't been in these wars all year they will get beat. So go cry and whine for your respect somewhere else.
What do you mean “want” to be respected? We’re the # 1 team in the nation and a lock for a 1 seed. How much more “respect” do we need? lol

Reactions: susan2361
Not this stupid crap again. How can you be “forced” into a conference? You can’t just “join” a conference. Do you think we enjoy playing in the WCC and hearing nonsense like this thread? I swear every time I read this stuff in this board I feel like I’ve been time warped back to 2001. This is like the sixth dedicated thread on your board about us in the last two weeks, it’s really embarrassing for you guys. Honestly.
No, the embarrassing part here is that you have to go on an apology tour on our board. I don't blame you. I'd be ashamed of it, too.

But look, nobody cares about Gonzaga except that you boys have the edge every season once the new year rolls around. Wherever you boys are ranked at the end of December is where you should stay. Of course other teams are going to lose. They actually play Division 1 teams all season. They actually play good competition all season. This semifinal game today against a team with an under .500 record is a sham. They couldn't even manage to break even against the WCC.

But the real reason anyone cares is because you guys are probably stealing a 1 seed from a much more deserving team.

Here you go: you lost by 13 to UNC, who came in 2nd in their league. You also lost by 3 on a neutral floor to Tennessee, who finished 3rd in the SEC. Where would Gonzaga have finished in the ACC or the SEC, or even the B12 or the B10? Not 1st in ANY of those leagues, trust me. But you are probably getting a 1 seed.

Murray St a very good team. Ja Morant is special, a likely Top 3 pick in the Draft.

Murray & Morant could make some noise, watch out for them to sneak into the 2nd wkend.

A fun team to watch, yet not in Zags league. Gonzaga bigs would be way too much to handle over 40 mins. No team has been able to slow down our frontcourt. A couple teams have been able to contain our guards or wings, & beaten us, yet our bigs are too active and can score at every level. Even in our losses, they have been very efficient, and they can run the fastbreak themselves .

Both our bigs will be drafted in 1st Round this year (Tillie won't be, but Rui a lottery lock, and Clarke mid to late 1st).

Actually very similar to Kentucky's terrific frontcourt. Kentucky & Zags probably are the Top 2 frontcourts in all of college hoops this season.
Ha! I love the arrogance. Not in the Zags' league? North Carolina and Tennessee both have undersized front courts and both beat Gonzaga. They must have done something right.

But here is the thing that probably keeps you up at night. Playing these cupcakes for 3 months is bound to make you soft. December 15 was the last decent team you played, and you got drilled by 13. Today is March 11 and the Dance won't start until March 21. That's over 3 months since you played anyone. What happens when a team that has been through the conference battles hits you in the mouth and actually has the ability to fight back? That's when we'll find out.

What are they supposed to do, just join another conference?

At this point and with what they have done the last 5 seasons I think they have proven they more than belong with the big boys in college basketball.
Yeah JF Cats, I truly wouldn't care at all if they weren't ranked #1 and likely getting a 1-seed. What were they ranked at the end of December after losing back to back to Tennessee and North Carolina? That's where they should be now. We have no other way of evaluating them.

Ok, I looked it up. They were ranked #8 back in December after those losses. That's actually about right for them. I'd put them around #10 or so. They deserve a low 2 or high 3-seed. Bear in mind, Washington nearly beat them, too, it was a 2pt game, and it was a home game for Gonzaga. Washington finished with 7 losses in a weak PAC12. Illinois played to within 6 of them. But once their conference play started, as with every season, they slowly climbed the rankings.

Nobody thinks they're a bad team, just not #1 (by a long shot) and not a 1 seed.

No, the embarrassing part here is that you have to go on an apology tour on our board. I don't blame you. I'd be ashamed of it, too.

But look, nobody cares about Gonzaga except that you boys have the edge every season once the new year rolls around. Wherever you boys are ranked at the end of December is where you should stay. Of course other teams are going to lose. They actually play Division 1 teams all season. They actually play good competition all season. This semifinal game today against a team with an under .500 record is a sham. They couldn't even manage to break even against the WCC.

But the real reason anyone cares is because you guys are probably stealing a 1 seed from a much more deserving team.

Here you go: you lost by 13 to UNC, who came in 2nd in their league. You also lost by 3 on a neutral floor to Tennessee, who finished 3rd in the SEC. Where would Gonzaga have finished in the ACC or the SEC, or even the B12 or the B10? Not 1st in ANY of those leagues, trust me. But you are probably getting a 1 seed.
We beat a full strength Duke, you lost to them by 30. You conveniently left that out of your narrative. OK, let’s say that both are embarrassing, this boards obsession with us as evidenced by six dedicated threads about us in the last two weeks and our conference affiliation schedule. One of them is a choice, the other one is not. We cannot choose our conference affiliation, despite what a few posters think. You guys can choose whether or not you wish to be petty and jealous.

Hate to break up the Gonzaga hate party here boys, but they have made it at least as far or farther than we have in the NCAA tournament in each of the last 3 years.

Facts??? All the facts or just cherry picked ones? LOL.

Lost in the first or second rounds every year but 1 from 2008 through 2014. In 2 of the 4 years you mention, you went down in the third round. The only 2 years the Zags kinda earned their stripes were 15 and 17.

Don’t get me wrong. Nice run for a mid major. But that is all the Zags are. The media and the NCAA have been giving them soft serve for years and they crap the bed. If they had been in a power conference, the seeds would have been more balanced due to the worse performance. This would have put their NCAA performance in a much more realistic light.

We have made the tournament for 20 straight years, this is will make it 21. Only three times in 20 years have we lost to a lower seeded team:

1999-00...10 seed...Sweet 16...(L) Purdue (#6)
2000-01...12 seed...Sweet 16...(L) Michigan St (#1)
2001-02...6 seed...1st round (ie lost in 1st round)..Wyoming
2002-03...9 seed...2nd round (ie lost in 2nd round)... (L) Arizona (#1)
2003-04...2 seed...2nd round...(L) Nevada (#10)
2004-05...3 seed...2nd round...(L) Texas Tech (#6)
2005-06...3 seed...Sweet 16...(L) UCLA (#2)
2006-07...10 seed..1st round...(L) Indiana (#7)
2007-08...7 seed...1st round...(L) Davidson (#10)
2008-09...4 seed...Sweet 16...(L) UNC (#1)
2009-10...8 seed...2nd round...(L) Syracuse (#1)
**Play-in game added for 2011 tournament**
2010-11...11 seed..3rd round (ie lost their second game)...(L) BYU (#3)
2011-12...7 seed...3rd round...(L) Ohio St (#2)
2012-13...1 seed...3rd round...(L) Wichita St (#9)
2013-14...8 seed...3rd round...(L) Arizona (#1)
2014-15...2 seed...Elite 8...……(L) Duke (#1)
2015-16...11 seed..Sweet 16...(L) Syracuse (#10)
2016-17...1 seed...Runner Up.(L) UNC (#1)
2017-18...4 seed...Sweet 16..(L) FSU (#9)

In 20 years of tournaments, we've had only 4 years of a #2 or #1 seed. Our average tournament seed is 6.45. We've won 2 or 3 tourney games as a double digit seed 5 times. That's more years than the total number of seasons we've had a #1 or #2 seed.

6th seeded teams average 1.08 wins per year, Gonzaga has averaged 1.55 wins/year with an average seed of 6.45. That is more wins than the average for all 4 seed teams all time, Gonzaga doing it despite being seeded between 6 and 7. So we are playing harder teams than 4 seeds, and winning more games than 4 seeds, but being given (treated by the NCAA?) a 6/7 seed.

The gold standard for evaluating a team's NCAA record relative to how they are seeding (evaluated by the NCAA) is here.

In 20 years of tournaments, we've had only 4 years of a #2 or #1 seed. Our average tournament seed is 6.45. We've won 2 or 3 tourney games as a double digit seed 5 times. That's more years than the total number of seasons we've had a #1 or #2 seed.

6th seeded teams average 1.08 wins per year, Gonzaga has averaged 1.55 wins/year with an average seed of 6.45. That is more wins than the average for all 4 seed teams all time, Gonzaga doing it despite being seeded between 6 and 7. So we are playing harder teams than 4 seeds, and winning more games than 4 seeds, but being given (treated by the NCAA?) a 6/7 seed.

The gold standard for evaluating a team's NCAA record relative to how they are seeding (evaluated by the NCAA) is here.

The gold standard for evaluating team performance in the NCAA is championships. Everyone else is a loser.

We have 8. And you?

Reactions: UKEE
Duke is likely overall #1 or #2 seed even despite their losses. Everyone concedes what they are with Zion.

Similarly, everyone with any basketball sense knows the Zags are a 1 seed despite the weakness of their conference.

St Marys is not great but are ranked higher in the Net than half a dozen or more SEC teams.

The poster who said Gonzaga as a 1 seed will lose in the Sweet 16 just has no credibility.

I agree with all but the 1st one. If they win in the ACC then yeah maybe but currently now..........no. The consensus doesn't think this at all.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Right now the average has us at 4th Overall and Duke at 5th overall.

Forget overall 1 or 2, they might not even be a 1 seed if Zion can't get back on the court.

This is literally the sixth thread dedicated to us on your board in the last two weeks. That is embarrassing.
You do realize this is the most active college basketball board on rivals, right? You do realize we (UK fans) talk hoops 24/7 365, right? You do realize the Zags are the number 1 team in America, right?

If you realize all those things then it should come as no surprise we are going to talk about the Zags. Along with Duke, UNC, KU, IU, Louisville, UT, and any other team that is a rival or threat to win it all.

I suppose you just want us to ignore your program like they are some irrelevant mid-major?

If you are going to run with the big dogs...........grow some thicker skin.

Reactions: kyjeff1

The two times -- in history -- we earned a #1 seed, we:

-- went to the National Championship game (tied game with 1:32 remaining), National Runner-up

-- lost in Rd of 32 to Wichita St (who made the Final 4 that yr & hit 14 3's vs us)

The one time -- in history -- we earned a #2 seed, we:

-- went to an Elite 8 and lost to Duke (who won the National Championship that yr)

We have made the Sweet 16 or beyond the last 4 consecutive yrs (longest current streak in NCAA), yet 2 of those 4 yrs we were an 11 & 4 seed. We overachieved as an 11 seed, and performed as expected as a 4 seed.

7 of Zags' 9 Sweet 16 appearances in past 20 yrs have come as 4 seeds or lower -- no team can come close to 'overachieving' at that clip.

Meanwhile, Duke was losing to Lehigh and Mercer in the 1st Round during that same time frame.

I think that link and your information about the Zags history speaks to a bigger point and something I've always felt...............the NCAA committee has a tough time properly rating teams from mid major conferences.

When you base things on resume, it's easy when you are a team with several opportunities. Less so when it's the Zags or another team with far fewer ones.

This season and a few others it's clear cut with them..........but in seasons where it's not so clear cut, it seems like they have been massively misseeded.

We beat a full strength Duke, you lost to them by 30. You conveniently left that out of your narrative. OK, let’s say that both are embarrassing, this boards obsession with us as evidenced by six dedicated threads about us in the last two weeks and our conference affiliation schedule. One of them is a choice, the other one is not. We cannot choose our conference affiliation, despite what a few posters think. You guys can choose whether or not you wish to be petty and jealous.
Yes we will see what happens if UK and Gonzaga play. You still don't deserve a 1 seed with your schedule. It's a joke

Yes we will see what happens if UK and Gonzaga play. You still don't deserve a 1 seed with your schedule. It's a joke
And yet here we are, not only as a number one seed but the number one team in the entire nation. Six dedicated threats about us on your board in the last two weeks.

I think that link and your information about the Zags history speaks to a bigger point and something I've always felt...............the NCAA committee has a tough time properly rating teams from mid major conferences.

When you base things on resume, it's easy when you are a team with several opportunities. Less so when it's the Zags or another team with far fewer ones.

This season and a few others it's clear cut with them..........but in seasons where it's not so clear cut, it seems like they have been massively misseeded.

Excellent post and points. Despite what a few of your posters have said, we cannot choose our conference affiliation. So all we can do is what we do do, play a tough out of conference schedule and beat our in conference opponents by an average of 28 points per game. Yeah it sucks, but it is what it is. As I mentioned in one of the other six dedicated threads on this board about us, there were rumors that the big East was going to add a western division with us, BYU and St. Mary’s to join Creighton, Marquette DePaul and Butler. But thus far that has not come to fruition so we are stuck in the WCC.

We have made the tournament for 20 straight years, this is will make it 21. Only three times in 20 years have we lost to a lower seeded team:

Yes, we are quite aware of the Zags struggle to achieve any demonstrable success in the tournament. These numbers you provide are rather pedestrian by our standards. They are typical of a mid major type program trying to spin a success story. Out of respect for a decent mid major, I won’t dive into contrasting you raw loss numbers out of conference, versus in. Nor will I get into your results pre-Few.

Be advised, a big dog lives here. Quite arguably the biggest dog. Don’t expect to come here with a spun story of success and expect to get anything but laughed at. I would advise you stick to the merits of any potential matchup this year. Your history at this school would get a coach fired.

that's a lot of championships you guys have one in there....

Congratulations. We have zero. You really should not be so lazy and look it up, Google is your friend.

LOL. You honestly think I didn’t realize that? I was making a point. The proper response from you was no response. Instead you chose you publicly emphasize the lack of tangible success by your program. C’est la vie.

Seriously, don’t embarrass yourself or your program.

Look, I'm a UK fan. Have been for well over 30 years. I remember watching Rob Lock, Roger Harden, Ed Davender, Winston Bennett, all those 80s guys. I remember the days of tape delayed games at 11:30pm. I'm no fair weather guy. That said...this whole thread is stupid. The entire thing. It shouldn't exist. Questioning Gonzaga's legitimacy? Seriously? You play who you play. Even then, they defeated Duke this year, when Duke was at full strength, VERY shortly after that same Duke team embarrassed UK on a national stage.

Seriously. I mean, they're good. They're really freaking good. So is UK. Plus I don't see them on our schedule any time soon, and the absolute soonest any sort of UK-Gonzaga game would appear this season would be in the elite 8 or FF. What's the point?

Look, I'm a UK fan. Have been for well over 30 years. I remember watching Rob Lock, Roger Harden, Ed Davender, Winston Bennett, all those 80s guys. I remember the days of tape delayed games at 11:30pm. I'm no fair weather guy. That said...this whole thread is stupid. The entire thing. It shouldn't exist. Questioning Gonzaga's legitimacy? Seriously? You play who you play. Even then, they defeated Duke this year, when Duke was at full strength, VERY shortly after that same Duke team embarrassed UK on a national stage.

Seriously. I mean, they're good. They're really freaking good. So is UK. Plus I don't see them on our schedule any time soon, and the absolute soonest any sort of UK-Gonzaga game would appear this season would be in the elite 8 or FF. What's the point?

Well not the entire thread.........initially it was ok........talking about the game.

Then it got off topic like most long threads do here lol

Reactions: MachineHead1
And yet here we are, not only as a number one seed but the number one team in the entire nation. Six dedicated threats about us on your board in the last two weeks.
And? Theres 20 new threads a day? Crazy to believe 6 different people (out of hundreds of members here) thought to create a thread how weak the zags schedule is and how they dont deserve a 1. I know there may be a whopping 12 people on the zags board so threads dont get buried. No one started 6 different threads bc they care, they started 6 different bc they got buried and ppl had to remind others how trash Gonzaga competition is. Do i think Gonzaga deserves a 1? Yes i do. But to pretend they earned a 1 by stiffling tough competition is just ignorant. And to hang around a kentucky board seeking validation and counting threads makes it sound like you care a whole lot what we think.

I truly do not get the Gonzaga hate. "They play in a shitty conference." OK, well Cal coached at Memphis. He boatraced really shitty teams for years, then comes to UK, he is OMG Coach Cal. And i know he did wonders at UMASS, and is a great coach. But Gonzaga is a legit team year in and year out no matter what the conference is. Even at UK, the SEC was a joke for most years, now not WCC bad, but pretty damn bad. Say what you want, but Mark Few knows talent, and he reloads, not rebuild.

Well not the entire thread.........initially it was ok........talking about the game.

Then it got off topic like most long threads do here lol

Fair enough. lol I guess I meant the s**t-slinging. Gonzaga fans should have NO reason to want to come in here to try to rightfully defend their program. They're legit. They're good. Anyone who says that they couldn't beat UK on a neutral floor...with or without Reid Travis...are either lying or deluding themselves.

But yeah. Fair enough.

Ok, all things equal, let's be comparative for comparative sake --

-- We beat a team you lost you (Duke). Both played on neutral courts.

-- You beat a team we lost to (UNC). You played on neutral court, we played 'em @Chapel Hill.

-- We both lost to same team (Tenn). We lost by 3 giving up a 9 pt lead with 4 mins to go on neutral court. You beat them on your home court, and were blown out by 19 on their court.

-- We both beat the same team (A&M). We beat them by 23 pts on our home court. You beat them by 11 pts on your home court.

Kentucky has more wins vs better teams than GU...yet also more losses vs worse teams than GU.

Why does Kentucky deserve a higher seed? IF Gonzaga got the same # of opportunities, say, playing Tennessee on OUR home court...don't think we'd win too? The metrics & past result indicates yes. We had the lead for 36+ mins of that game, and a 9 pt with 4 mins to go without Killian Tillie or our back-up PG, Geno Crandal (20 mpg).

Gonzaga would accumulate more overall wins, and likely losses as well, but as it stands, we have won 21 in a row vs a Conference WCC (the highest rated conference outside the Power 6 and tied w/Pac 12 in RPI). Over half the teams in WCC rank/rate higher than half the teams in SEC. That isn't because they get to play other Top-25 teams.

San Diego was neck and neck vs Ole Miss. St Mary's lead for much of the LSU and Miss St games, before losing by 4 pts each game. We beat SMC by 50. Those are teams you have lost to or barely beat.

Gonzaga average margin of victory this season is 25 ppg. The next closest is Virginia at 17 ppg, and Kentucky is 11 ppg. Kentucky has played a better schedule, but talk about relativity here. You can't make that up.

Last edited:
So of all boards for you to visit and complain, you visit this one?

Why is that?

Could it be because it's the board with the most action? Might that explain why there are so many Gonzaga threads?

If you're fed up about it, then don't come here, it's that simple man.

Also, if you're a Gonzaga fan, you can't really complain when opposing fans knock your SOS, if it bothers you, find another team to cheer for because as long as Gonzaga is in that high school conference, you're going to read these comments everywhere you go.

Gonzaga would also get more credit if they didn't go 1-2 in the only 3 games they played against ranked teams.

Nobody is saying Gonzaga sucks, but you can't deny that they would have several more losses if they were in a legit conference.

Look my man, 6 threads in two weeks out of 200 isn’t that crazy, you keep belaboring that point but dont seem to realize a new thread is made every minute. You would blush at the amount of Duke, UNC, Tennessee (this year), and Louisville threads made here. Consider it a compliment. I’ve also been posting here for like 20 years and never seen a Gonzaga fan - welcome to the craziness. Either way don’t get offended, like I told the Villanova fan last year - we are all huge Gonzaga fans if we lose. Every single person here cheered on Gonzaga till they were red in the face against UNC in 2017. That I can guarantee you. Good luck in the tourney, you have probably your best ever team this year.

Yes, we are quite aware of the Zags struggle to achieve any demonstrable success in the tournament. These numbers you provide are rather pedestrian by our standards. They are typical of a mid major type program trying to spin a success story. Out of respect for a decent mid major, I won’t dive into contrasting you raw loss numbers out of conference, versus in. Nor will I get into your results pre-Few.

Be advised, a big dog lives here. Quite arguably the biggest dog. Don’t expect to come here with a spun story of success and expect to get anything but laughed at. I would advise you stick to the merits of any potential matchup this year. Your history at this school would get a coach fired.
Good Lord, you are a walking, talking cliché. Utterly embarrassing.

LOL. You honestly think I didn’t realize that? I was making a point. The proper response from you was no response. Instead you chose you publicly emphasize the lack of tangible success by your program. C’est la vie.

Seriously, don’t embarrass yourself or your program.
Facetious sarcasm went over your head.

This is literally the sixth thread dedicated to us on your board in the last two weeks. That is embarrassing.
No, what's pathetic is you posting/complaining on a UK board during the Gonzaga game.

Do you not know how message boards work? We talk about everything here and in case you didn't know, in real life, everyone has a different view on things.

Deal with it or go to your own board. Coming here to complain about what's being said is pretty stupid.

Reactions: UKEE
ADVERTISEMENT