ADVERTISEMENT

pepperdine kicking Zags

Tillie is back and healthy for Gonzaga.

People here keep downplaying Gonzaga and continue to do so. They will be sorely mistaken, they are legit and a major threat to win it all.
Nobody is saying they suck, but when you don't have to play legit D1 teams twice a week, sometimes in a rowdy gym on the road against top 25 teams, you aren't going to get the same respect as those teams that are in a dogfight every time they step on the court.

Gonzaga is good, but they would have 5 or 6 losses if they had to play in a legit conference.

People here keep downplaying Gonzaga and continue to do so. They will be sorely mistaken, they are legit and a major threat to win it all.
No they are not. They’ll be bounced in the sweet 16.

They certainly are with Tillie. They beat Dook without him.

Nobody is saying they suck, but when you don't have to play legit D1 teams twice a week, sometimes in a rowdy gym on the road against top 25 teams, you aren't going to get the same respect as those teams that are in a dogfight every time they step on the court.

Gonzaga is good, but they would have 5 or 6 losses if they had to play in a legit conference.
This, and it's my fundamental issue with the NCAAT setup.

It's all good fun, it's enjoyable, and we all love it as it is more or less. But if we actually had a playoff with legit teams only (say 8 teams) things like what you're talking about have a HUGE implication on whether a Gonzaga would even get in at all. Football and basketball aren't apples to oranges comparisons, but see UCF. The difference here is Gonzaga did schedule OOC and won, so in that comparison they'd get in, whereas UCF didn't in football and didn't.

My point is that in years past where perhaps they didn't schedule up, they wouldn't be getting this benefit of the doubt in my playoff scenario. It doesn't really hurt anything to put them in now if they hadn't; there's 68 teams. They surely belong. (And again....) before someone quotes me, using this year's Gonzaga team isn't a perfect example because even in my scenario, they would belong in with this years schedule because of their OOC.

But playing in a P5 conference, you just lose games you shouldn't no matter how good you are and theyd be no exception.

Zags are a really good team but its comical they can get a 1 seed when uK and some other teams play 15 to 20 quad 1 games. That's just not fair
By the time the Zags play a Top 35 team, it will have been 3 months plus (Dec. 15th loss to UNC). I know they are good, but I guess SOS, Quad 1 wins just don't mean that much if a school like the Zags can beat Dook and lose to UNC and TN in their 3 big games of the entire year and be a 1 seed. The Zags have 4 Quad 1 wins, Dook, of course, @Creighton 17-13, @SF, but they are 73rd NET so they might lose that one if they drop a few spots and @St Marys 20-11. It is what it is.

It is annoying as they flat are a top 5 team almost every single year but simply having to not play a single good team for 2 months is a crock of shite. They need to be forced to move to a real conference .
Not this stupid crap again. How can you be “forced” into a conference? You can’t just “join” a conference. Do you think we enjoy playing in the WCC and hearing nonsense like this thread? I swear every time I read this stuff in this board I feel like I’ve been time warped back to 2001. This is like the sixth dedicated thread on your board about us in the last two weeks, it’s really embarrassing for you guys. Honestly.

Not this stupid crap again. How can you be “forced” into a conference? You can’t just “join” a conference. Do you think we enjoy playing in the WCC and hearing nonsense like this thread? I swear every time I read this stuff in this board I feel like I’ve been time warped back to 2001. This is like the sixth dedicated thread on your board about us in the last two weeks, it’s really embarrassing for you guys. Honestly.
LOL I didn’t know zags fans knew how to use a message board

By the time the Zags play a Top 35 team, it will have been 3 months plus (Dec. 15th loss to UNC). I know they are good, but I guess SOS, Quad 1 wins just don't mean that much if a school like the Zags can beat Dook and lose to UNC and TN in their 3 big games of the entire year and be a 1 seed. The Zags have 4 Quad 1 wins, Dook, of course, @Creighton 17-13, @SF, but they are 73rd NET so they might lose that one if they drop a few spots and @St Marys 20-11. It is what it is.

Dick Vitale of all people made a good point during the game when talking about someone like Indiana getting in over Belmont. He said that quad one wins are kind of a shame because when every team you’re playing is a “quad one“ team, well then yes you obviously will have some quad one wins. It’s not fair to penalize a team in this case Belmont or North Carolina Greensboro for something that they cannot control. And it seems that many of you here want to do exactly that.

So you're playing in your conference tournament semifinals and you look across the way and notice that the opponent doesn't even have a winning record and they're rated #152. Ah, must be the West Coast Conference. What a friggin joke! Smh

What are they supposed to do, just join another conference?

At this point and with what they have done the last 5 seasons I think they have proven they more than belong with the big boys in college basketball.

Reactions: susan2361
Dick Vitale of all people made a good point during the game when talking about someone like Indiana getting in over Belmont. He said that quad one wins are kind of a shame because when every team you’re playing is a “quad one“ team, well then yes you obviously will have some quad one wins. It’s not fair to penalize a team in this case Belmont or North Carolina Greensboro for something that they cannot control. And it seems that many of you here want to do exactly that.
The issue is the field size. None of those teams belong in any rational discussion about deserving to compete for a national championship.

Reactions: GoZags1
Just curious how JFCats knows about Tillie's game, when he barely knows the game of our own players.. weird.

Reactions: JC CATS

It's kind of ironic that your on our board complaining about our topics. If you dont like it you can gtfo.

What are they supposed to do, just join another conference?

At this point and with what they have done the last 5 seasons I think they have proven they more than belong with the big boys in college basketball.
Since they have a big dog dominating their conference (Similar to UK in SEC) they should put pressure on the other schools in that conference to step it up as they did with the SEC. It worked. It would be on a smaller scale of course with that conference, but they should try to get the other teams to become more competitive to improve the conference.

Not stupid at all, this conversation keeps happening because it has merit.
Forced, as in, join a better confrence of start getting penalized. Zags have a cupcake conference schedule and get rewarded with cupcakes in the first two rounds of the Ncaat.

It is annoying as they flat are a top 5 team almost every single year but simply having to not play a single good team for 2 months is a crock of shite. They need to be forced to move to a real conference .

Boy, this is such a dumb misunderstanding of the situation.

Do you honestly think Gonzaga does not want to be in a major conference? Trust me, they'd love to be in one, but none will take them because they don't have have a revenue producing football program and are too geographically isolated.

You can't "force" someone to join a conference that won't take them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFCats22
Since they have a big dog dominating their conference (Similar to UK in SEC) they should put pressure on the other schools in that conference to step it up as they did with the SEC. It worked. It would be on a smaller scale of course with that conference, but they should try to get the other teams to become more competitive to improve the conference.

You realize who the other teams in their conference are, right?

Well, if Dook Vitale said it, that makes it true. . . .

The thing is that the Zags record speaks for itself. They are simply a medium sized fish in a puddle. Every year, put them in with the big dogs and they crap the bed. This year will be no different. Another bust and an undeserved and wasted seed.

ADVERTISEMENT