ADVERTISEMENT

Paying recruits

Wallins creek Cat

Sophomore
Dec 11, 2007
Who here really believes that this doesn't happen and has been for decades ?
Watch the SMU football special 30 for 30. I talked to a guy that roomed with a ball player and the school got into trouble with the NCAA. The player still got weekly envelopes filled with cash but the bills got smaller. He said the player was told that if someone sees a poor college kid pull a hundo to pay for a shirt it raises all kind of questions but the 10 s don't draw any attenton.

I believe it happens everywhere and this FBI thing is a result of plea bargains to keep people out of jail. I remember our running back in high school getting hundred dollar handshakes after a game and that was in 86.

The AAU circuit and shoe companies have just made this thing way bigger than any of us imagined. I just hope K, Self, Miller,Pearl are on tape and hope no one from our staff is guilty. Please not us.

Why worry over something we have no control over. If that many schools are involved the NCAA would freak out and probably give everyone a mulligan in fear of losing out on money.

Reactions: Wallins creek Cat
Who here really believes that this doesn't happen and has been for decades ?
Watch the SMU football special 30 for 30. I talked to a guy that roomed with a ball player and the school got into trouble with the NCAA. The player still got weekly envelopes filled with cash but the bills got smaller. He said the player was told that if someone sees a poor college kid pull a hundo to pay for a shirt it raises all kind of questions but the 10 s don't draw any attenton.

I believe it happens everywhere and this FBI thing is a result of plea bargains to keep people out of jail. I remember our running back in high school getting hundred dollar handshakes after a game and that was in 86.

The AAU circuit and shoe companies have just made this thing way bigger than any of us imagined. I just hope K, Self, Miller,Pearl are on tape and hope no one from our staff is guilty. Please not us.
Pennies-Logo.jpg

Shh. You're not supposed to talk about it.

Pretend that all of these kids, often from incredible poverty, have people willing to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars at 16-17 years old but they all turn it down because it's the right thing to do according to a completely arbitrary and powerless governing body.

Oh, and that coaches and universities with tens of millions of dollars at stake know that *other* programs are doing it but refuse to engage in that sort of behavior yet still land the players anyway because, again, the kids are more worried about potential ineligibility for 8 months than their family going hungry, so they commit to the honest coaches and schools.

It honestly doesn't even bother me. It's in the unwritten rules of how things operate and the kids deserve the money anyway. It's a lot like steriods. Everyone is doing them, so the Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriquez of the world are still the greats. It's a re-leveling of the playing field. If everyone is guilty, no one is guilty. The speed limit isn't 55 if everyone is driving 80.

ADVERTISEMENT