ADVERTISEMENT

Our new Offense..

Horhay961

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, having never played football, but I have watched enough for a basic understanding. I've played enough madden through my years to know how to run a good offense though (kidding).

I have been recently watching the offensive breakdown on the Rams and do find it very interesting. Sean McVay is a great offensive mind, I hope Coen has been a sponge. I know Coen was a great player so I'm sure he has a great offensive mind as well.

My main pickup from watching breakdowns has been that the Rams seem to play a lot under center or at least what I've seen (haven't watched a great deal of games). This is becoming more and more rare. Do you think that this will transfer over to our offense?

Also seems like they rely on an athletic Oline, which I think we have. Good running backs, another check for us. Good blocking WR which over the last few years ours should be. So, the next question is who is our under center QB? Do you think that they all would be affective under center? Will it hurt the more athletic running QB? Looking forward to hearing from you all!

The little I've checked into it, here are my thoughts:

UNDER CENTER: yes, more than most other NFL teams by a good %, but there's a reason. The offense is SERIES-based -- most plays look the same for the first 1-2 seconds whether you're running wide, off-tackle, backside, or passing. To get the back downhill and--more importantly--to give the TIME it takes for the defense to react like you want, there needs to be a good amount of time between snap and hand-off/fake.

This also pays off when you must run for short yardage and you need your backs to have a good, running start at the LOS -- much better chance of this under center than in the pistol (back behind QB in gun) or even worse, the side-pocket gun.

CAN IT WORK FOR "OUR" OFFENSE? Yes -- just as it could work anywhere; the key is that the offense BUILDS AROUND THAT PREMISE and stays true to it. It can't just be a play here or there out of under-center. It works because it's essential to the foundation of pretty much EVERY play you run.

WHO WILL OUR UNDER-CENTER QB BE? Beauty of this is that with this system, it could be a stationary, pocket passer type (like the Bama kid) or an athletic, dual-threat type. With the less-mobile guy, you run more Dropback action and your Play-Action sets up more behind the OL. With a Dual Threat, you have more options in terms of moving the pocket after fakes or on Sprint Outs (not a big part of what they do currently with J. Goff).

MORE IMPORTANT, I'D SAY, THAN FINDING A QB TO 'FIT' THE SYSTEM is finding 1) a Jet-Sweep threat (many of the runs and play-action passes start with the eye-candy of a Jet Sweep threat) and 2) guys who can sell that they're going deep maybe and then suddenly stick a route stem to create separation on Sail Routes and Comebacks -- routes off that Play-Action that get you between 12 and 20 yards. Explosive plays are the key to winning football today, especially at the college level.

Most of the offensive plays looking the same in the beginning is one thing I did like about it. Do you think we have that jet sweep threat currently, maybe Ali or someone else or is that the intrigue of possibly getting Robinson?

My guesses on the jet sweep will be, Dreenen, Robinson?, and Ali. Selling the play fakes is key, we will need to get better at that, we half hearted them a lot this year.

UNDER CENTER: yes, more than most other NFL teams by a good %, but there's a reason. The offense is SERIES-based -- most plays look the same for the first 1-2 seconds whether you're running wide, off-tackle, backside, or passing. To get the back downhill and--more importantly--to give the TIME it takes for the defense to react like you want, there needs to be a good amount of time between snap and hand-off/fake.

This also pays off when you must run for short yardage and you need your backs to have a good, running start at the LOS -- much better chance of this under center than in the pistol (back behind QB in gun) or even worse, the side-pocket gun.

CAN IT WORK FOR "OUR" OFFENSE? Yes -- just as it could work anywhere; the key is that the offense BUILDS AROUND THAT PREMISE and stays true to it. It can't just be a play here or there out of under-center. It works because it's essential to the foundation of pretty much EVERY play you run.

WHO WILL OUR UNDER-CENTER QB BE? Beauty of this is that with this system, it could be a stationary, pocket passer type (like the Bama kid) or an athletic, dual-threat type. With the less-mobile guy, you run more Dropback action and your Play-Action sets up more behind the OL. With a Dual Threat, you have more options in terms of moving the pocket after fakes or on Sprint Outs (not a big part of what they do currently with J. Goff).

MORE IMPORTANT, I'D SAY, THAN FINDING A QB TO 'FIT' THE SYSTEM is finding 1) a Jet-Sweep threat (many of the runs and play-action passes start with the eye-candy of a Jet Sweep threat) and 2) guys who can sell that they're going deep maybe and then suddenly stick a route stem to create separation on Sail Routes and Comebacks -- routes off that Play-Action that get you between 12 and 20 yards. Explosive plays are the key to winning football today, especially at the college level.

Well said.

It's harder to find information about what Coen will do in any offense, but it's fairly easy to find information about McVay's offense. Over the last few yrs, the Rams tended to set up very similarly with most plays.

You'll see this formation quite a bit.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-01-at-8.28.05-PM.png

The casual observer will be frustrated thinking that we'll be running the same play over and over. But that's not the case. The base formation may be the same, but then it quickly changes from there.

First the Rams tend to line up very condensed.....meaning that you won't often see WR's line up very wide but rather close to the LOS. What this does is hopes to cause confusion with coverages. Think about it. If you are a CB and there's a WR lined up 10-15 yds away from the line.......you know who you're gonna cover. But if you are a CB and standing in front of you are 2-3 bunched up WR's and a TE....who are you going to take? Any confusion is going to lead to hesitation.....and in a game of inches/seconds, this can be huge. Also, the defense doesn't want to trip over each other because they to are going to be bunched together......which means that they won't disguise their coverage as much.....they'll play fairly straight forward.

Second, there'll be lots of motion. As others have said they'll often motion a Jet Sweep through many plays....whether they use them or not. And there'll be a lot of play action to the RB's. Soooo, it's basically a double play action on many plays. The defense must respect the Jet play action/motion, the RB play action, and the pass on a lot of the plays.

Third, the routes tend to be easier for a QB. Sometimes you think of a play action play as being pretty slow. The QB gets the snap, fakes the hand off, sells it by drifting back from the line, then tries to go long........but that's not the case the majority of the time. In this offense, as soon as the fake is made, the QB is looking to chuck it right now. The QB can do this because he should know where his target will be. Often they'll run comeback or sit routes. Hitting a fairly static target is easier for a QB than hitting someone on a full sprint or changing directions. WR's will run a lot of digs/drags, slants, comebacks.......designed to be high percentage and gets ball out of the QB hands quickly.

Plays will often involve flood concepts as well. Meaning to flood one side or area of the field with options. It's harder for QB's to have to scan the entire field.......but if they only have to pay attention to one side of the field, things get easier. Sooo, on one play you might a WR route short, one medium, one long......and the QB just has to make the right decision while watching all his options in the same field of view.

Last edited:
Like the OP know nothing about fb Xs and Os other than what I’ve gained basically thru fan osmosis.

Love the QB under center with exception of 3rd and very long. Always hated the 3rd and long under center with the QB faking a handoff.

Well said.

It's harder to find information about what Coen will do in any offense, but it's fairly easy to find information about McVay's offense. Over the last few yrs, the Rams tended to set up very similarly with most plays.

The casual observer will be frustrated thinking that we'll be running the same play over and over. But that's not the case. The base formation may be the same, but then it quickly changes from there.

First the Rams tend to line up very condensed.....meaning that you won't often see WR's line up very wide but rather close to the sidelines. What this does is hopes to cause confusion with coverages. Think about it. If you are a CB and there's a WR lined up 10-15 yds away from the line.......you know who you're gonna cover. But if you are a CB and standing in front of you are 2-3 bunched up WR's and a TE....who are you going to take? Any confusion is going to lead to hesitation.....and in a game of inches/seconds, this can be huge. Also, the defense doesn't want to trip over each other because they to are going to be bunched together......which means that they won't disguise their coverage as much.....they'll play fairly straight forward.

Second, there'll be lots of motion. As others have said they'll often motion a Jet Sweep through many plays....whether they use them or not. And there'll be a lot of play action to the RB's. Soooo, it's basically a double play action on many plays. The defense must respect the Jet play action/motion, the RB play action, and the pass on a lot of the plays.

Third, the routes tend to be easier for a QB. Sometimes you think of a play action play as being pretty slow. The QB gets the snap, fakes the hand off, sells it by drifting back from the line, then tries to go long........but that's not the case the majority of the time. In this offense, as soon as the fake is made, the QB is looking to chuck it right now. The QB can do this because he should know where his target will be. Often they'll run comeback or sit routes. Hitting a fairly static target is easier for a QB than hitting someone on a full sprint or changing directions. WR's will run a lot of digs/drags, slants, comebacks.......designed to be high percentage and gets ball out of the QB hands quickly.

Plays will often involve flood concepts as well. Meaning to flood one side or area of the field with options. It's harder for QB's to have to scan the entire field.......but if they only have to pay attention to one side of the field, things get easier. Sooo, on one play you might a WR route short, one medium, one long......and the QB just has to make the right decision while watching all his options in the same field of view.

Thank you for this breakdown. I LOVE stuff like this. There used to be a guy on sea of blue that would go over videos of the previous games plays and show why they worked and why they didn’t. He would replay them in slow motion and describe what each player was supposed to do and what they did . He doesn’t do anymore but I would absolutely pay a subscription for someone to do that .

Like the OP know nothing about fb Xs and Os other than what I’ve gained basically thru fan osmosis.

Love the QB under center with exception of 3rd and very long. Always hated the 3rd and long under center with the QB faking a handoff.
Yeah , play actions don’t fool anyone when it’s 3rd and long .

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do on offense. Everything seems to make sense and people make offensive schemes sound so easy, I know it's much easier said than done though. You can have great concepts and wrong personnel and I guess that's what I was originally getting at, do we have the correct personnel to take an offense like the Rams and run from day one?

Last edited:
Well said.

First the Rams tend to line up very condensed.....meaning that you won't often see WR's line up very wide but rather close to the sidelines. What this does is hopes to cause confusion with coverages. Think about it. If you are a CB and there's a WR lined up 10-15 yds away from the line.......you know who you're gonna cover. But if you are a CB and standing in front of you are 2-3 bunched up WR's and a TE....who are you going to take? Any confusion is going to lead to hesitation.....and in a game of inches/seconds, this can be huge. Also, the defense doesn't want to trip over each other because they to are going to be bunched together......which means that they won't disguise their coverage as much.....they'll play fairly straight forward.

One thing to point out is the reason the receivers are bunched up is twofold. One they are creating picks. Second is they are creating space toward the sideline. That gives the roll out passes and naked bootlegs more room to work with than they would have if they were near the sideline. When you see teams line up like that they are picking at the edges.

I do like the fact that they do things in series. That was the most frustrating part of Gran. Everything was done in isolation. We had counters but we seemed to never join them together. For example we had that counter toss and there was a counter toss fake and pass to the TE. However we either ran one or the other. I can't think of a single game that we ran both of them in the same game.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, having never played football, but I have watched enough for a basic understanding. I've played enough madden through my years to know how to run a good offense though (kidding).

I have been recently watching the offensive breakdown on the Rams and do find it very interesting. Sean McVay is a great offensive mind, I hope Coen has been a sponge. I know Coen was a great player so I'm sure he has a great offensive mind as well.

My main pickup from watching breakdowns has been that the Rams seem to play a lot under center or at least what I've seen (haven't watched a great deal of games). This is becoming more and more rare. Do you think that this will transfer over to our offense?

Also seems like they rely on an athletic Oline, which I think we have. Good running backs, another check for us. Good blocking WR which over the last few years ours should be. So, the next question is who is our under center QB? Do you think that they all would be affective under center? Will it hurt the more athletic running QB? Looking forward to hearing from you all!
Well since the new OC isn't even on campus working yet, I don't believe we really know what the new Offense will look like

Reactions: Cobb4uk
Well since the new OC isn't even on campus working yet, I don't believe we really know what the new Offense will look like
Really?

Did you hear him when he interviewed after being announced when asked what the offense would look like and he said, "watch the Rams."

Do you think he'd come here and go from being instrumental in that offense (one of the main reasons Stoops hired him) and run the Wishbone or the Wing-T?

I’ll be curious if Coen will be in the booth or on the field. Being that he is also Quarterback coach, who will be in the booth if he stays on the field ?

Really?

Did you hear him when he interviewed after being announced when asked what the offense would look like and he said, "watch the Rams."

Do you think he'd come here and go from being instrumental in that offense (one of the main reasons Stoops hired him) and run the Wishbone or the Wing-T?
Id love to watch some wing t though.

I think Beau Allen will be more like Goff than Joey but Joey is a little taller and may be able to see over the big linemen a little better . Will be an interesting competition

CRod will really benefit from this offense !

CRod will really benefit from this offense

Totally agree. His vision is incredible which is how he makes the wildcat work. The zone blocking scheme is basically drawing on that same skill. He will kill it for sure. But he would've killed it had we not made a change.

Tight ends and at least one slot guy will really benefit from the new system. QB too.

As always, Coach Cohen will have to Coach to the talent available, therefore the offense may not look just like the Rams his first year. If the talent really fits his style then we could be in for a exciting year. I know I'm looking forward for 2021 season. I truly believe we will be a player in the SEC East if our offense improves.

Totally agree. His vision is incredible which is how he makes the wildcat work. The zone blocking scheme is basically drawing on that same skill. He will kill it for sure. But he would've killed it had we not made a change.

Tight ends and at least one slot guy will really benefit from the new system. QB too.
I also think Smoke has good vision, which I think is the most underrated skill a back can have . Run to daylight!

As always, Coach Cohen will have to Coach to the talent available, therefore the offense may not look just like the Rams his first year. If the talent really fits his style then we could be in for a exciting year. I know I'm looking forward for 2021 season. I truly believe we will be a player in the SEC East if our offense improves.
True . There will be a learning curve too .

Really?

Yeah...it's like saying. Maybe Stoops might transition to wide tackle 6 defensive front vs. 3-4 that he's run and recruited for last 5 years. Some people just take a contrarian stance just for the sake of being that way.

My guesses on the jet sweep will be, Dreenen, Robinson?, and Ali. Selling the play fakes is key, we will need to get better at that, we half hearted them a lot this year.
Ball handling and play faking are as important as anything to making an offense effective. So important but most OC's seem to be okay with letting their QB just go through motions watching games all over. Sarkisian is a master at using those this and other actions to gain the one step they need to make a play work.

No clue on QB but under center it’s amazing how their running plays and passing plays look exactly the same. Really have a shot to win a lot of games if Stoops will stay out of the offense and we find a QB to run this system.

Everyone is missing a big he said in the interview, basically he will adjust the offense to the strength of the personnel. Based on that I’m sure we will still be run heavy with 2 TE sets and moving the slot guys around getting them in space. He could also use Gatewood in certain packages. You can’t just assume he will run the Rams offense lol.

Not having the option of plays run from under center has been one of my biggest disappointments with our previous offenses. Play-action fakes has been the other. Our efforts to have all of Terry's reads be easier, we sacrificed some better scheming in the passing game.

I want to see a scheme that can go hurry-up whenever advantageous, rather than EITHER hurry-up or no-huddle stall ball. If we can flex in and out of hurry-up AND simple no-huddle, our snap count will become a real weapon on 3rd or 4th and under 5 to go.

Play fakes and pump fakes are critical to slowing down the freaky fast SEC defenses, and more importantly the LB and S positions to open up the mid to deep middle of the field and corners that Alabama enjoyed the use of in the title game. I just want to see us less restricted in our offensive package as a whole. Sounds great to master just a few plays to the point no one can stop them, but there's always a way to stop a given play, even when facing superior talent.

And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF COUCH, OPEN UP SPRING PRACTICES!! I want to watch the practices!

Everyone is missing a big he said in the interview, basically he will adjust the offense to the strength of the personnel. Based on that I’m sure we will still be run heavy with 2 TE sets and moving the slot guys around getting them in space. He could also use Gatewood in certain packages. You can’t just assume he will run the Rams offense lol.
No doubt about what you're saying -- any OC worth his salt, at any level, would take his OVERALL package and create an "ATTACK" for that season based mainly on what his personnel strengths/weaknesses are.

In saying it would be like the Rams, the gist is that will provide the OVERALL structure for the offense.

Whether the returning personnel strengths are at TE (likely), RB (likely), OL (still in question), QB (still in question), or WR (unlikely, but maybe based on WRobinson's addition) I'd bet dollars to donuts you still are >60% under center, series based, and that your base plays will be mid-zone run and boot/naked off that action with LOTS of pre- and on-snap motion.

I hear that a lot on here, but I don't buy it. I don't think Gran turns down UGA if Stoops is meddling in his offense more than most other head coaches.
You are probably right . Some people say Gran was never seriously offered the job at Georgia. I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT