ADVERTISEMENT

Our defense is better

PikeCat15

Gold Member
Nov 3, 2016
I’ve had time to rant, cuss and start an extremely questionable, controversial thread while mad and partially intoxicated.

Now that I’ve had time to reflect, I think there is a sliver of room for optimism. I truly think we are steadily improving on defense. We are nearing the top 15 on KenPom in defensive efficiency. I thought last night besides the last 6 minutes or so we really played good defense.

Our offense is terrible. If we could hit 3 more jumpshots a game I truly think we could be dangerous.

I don’t know why but I just don’t see Kentucky losing any of these final home games against unranked teams. Alabama is key. They are a strong NCAA tourney team.

Something tells me if we beat Bama, we could win the rest at home, steal one on the road, and then one or two wins in the SEC tourney could put at a decent 6 seed.

Last night, I gave up. Tonight, I’m back hanging on by a thread. It all starts with Alabama. Cats must beat the Tide. If they do, I think better days are ahead.

GBB

They just need to take care of the home games and that should get us in at least

If we are being honest with ourselves @auburn was gonna be tough even with a good UK team this season They are top 10 for a reason

I honestly don’t think that they played a bad game at Auburn. I thought it was a huge improvement over the last few games. There were some offensive sets executed decently and our defense was really good for about 80% of the game.

I’ve had time to rant, cuss and start an extremely questionable, controversial thread while mad and partially intoxicated.

Now that I’ve had time to reflect, I think there is a sliver of room for optimism. I truly think we are steadily improving on defense. We are nearing the top 15 on KenPom in defensive efficiency. I thought last night besides the last 6 minutes or so we really played good defense.

Our offense is terrible. If we could hit 3 more jumpshots a game I truly think we could be dangerous.

I don’t know why but I just don’t see Kentucky losing any of these final home games against unranked teams. Alabama is key. They are a strong NCAA tourney team.

Something tells me if we beat Bama, we could win the rest at home, steal one on the road, and then one or two wins in the SEC tourney could put at a decent 6 seed.

Last night, I gave up. Tonight, I’m back hanging on by a thread. It all starts with Alabama. Cats must beat the Tide. If they do, I think better days are ahead.

GBB

Only way to go is up!!!

They just need to take care of the home games and that should get us in at least

If we are being honest with ourselves @auburn was gonna be tough even with a good UK team this season They are top 10 for a reason

The reason being this is a down year in overall top ten teams. That team in most any season would not be a top ten team. (Top 25 yes.) I still think they get exposed this season, heck UK playing a horrible horrible game had them until about the last about 8 minutes. A smarter UK team (basketball IQ-wise) in basketball and Auburn was beat handily.

I agree defense has been good enough to win. Offense including turnovers 3point % and free throws...has to improve,,,,
And that no charge where they got the miss and put back followed by the charge on the flop at halfcourt that changed it from a 1 point game w the ball to a 5 point game with 2 minutes left. Back breaking series.

Last edited:
Reactions: GonzoCat90
The reason being this is a down year in overall top ten teams. That team in most any season would not be a top ten team. (Top 25 yes.) I still think they get exposed this season, heck UK playing a horrible horrible game had them until about the last about 8 minutes. A smarter UK team (basketball IQ-wise) in basketball and Auburn was beat handily.

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with you about the top 10 being down this year.

I mean if I just look at the efficiency margin of the 10th ranked team
2018 - UNC 23.18
2017 - Oregon 25.02
2016 - Oklahoma 23.78
2015 - UNC 23.85
2014 - Tenn 23.69
2013 - Michigan St. 24.17
2012 - Florida 22.47

I don't really see any major differences other than maybe the top 10 was stronger last year but I don't see an overall trend this is a down year.

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with you about the top 10 being down this year.

I mean if I just look at the efficiency margin of the 10th ranked team
2018 - UNC 23.18
2017 - Oregon 25.02
2016 - Oklahoma 23.78
2015 - UNC 23.85
2014 - Tenn 23.69
2013 - Michigan St. 24.17
2012 - Florida 22.47

I don't really see any major differences other than maybe the top 10 was stronger last year but I don't see an overall trend this is a down year.

Yes, but you are not comparing apples to apples. IF this seasons WVU team were to compete against the 2015 slate of opponents or 2012 I'd dare say without hesitation this WVU team may not even be ranked. (That is how I am looking at it to give perspective.)

Yes, but you are not comparing apples to apples. IF this seasons WVU team were to compete against the 2015 slate of opponents or 2012 I'd dare say without hesitation this WVU team may not even be ranked. (That is how I am looking at it to give perspective.)

Possibly. You could be right. I mean that would mean that as a whole those years were better than these years.

I don't know tho. I look at shooting percentages going up and I think teams on average are getting better, not worse.

But who knows.

Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT