ADVERTISEMENT

OT WVU’s Grier will skip bowl game

Yep, pretty big named right there. I
But they have an ACC team so maybe can compete, but I am sure the bowl people are thrilled

Wow.

What a blow, bet there are some hard feelings there. He is the heart of that team.

I've been very vocal about my absolute, complete hatred for this trend.

However, I can't really say I blame Grier… When his starting left tackle abandoned him (skipping bowl as well) I'm sure he was thinking "no way I am playing with some seconds string freshman tackle watching my blindside… I'm out too coach, sorry."

TheCamping World Bowl just went from one of the most interesting Bowl games to watch to something nobody will want to watch… Be interesting to see how much money these bowls (and TV folks) start losing when all bowl games outside ofthe CFP are just completely second-rate affairs.

Thanks Christian McCaffrey…

Reactions: DTDcatfan
There are about 6-8 bowl games that matter. Everything else is basically spring ball in terms of significance.

I can see both sides.

The fan and little kid who played sports in me say you don't leave your team. However, if I were worn out after a P5 season, had some draft potential, and in the case of Grier as well as others a kid to think about...probably think long and hard about whether or not I want to get banged up vs Syracuse in the camper bowl...

Even minus the kid, Grier getting combine and draft ready could make a difference in whether he goes 2nd round, 25, or in the top 15...millions of dollars difference there...

Hell, I almost don't want to see Snell and Allen play. I know what they can do. Let me see Rose and Oates...I'd rather them get most of the snaps anyway...

There are about 6-8 bowl games that matter. Everything else is basically spring ball in terms of significance.

Really?

If that is your attitude, why do any of them matter?

If you are not in one of the two bowls that lead to a championship, does it matter?

Do regular season games matter?

Once we lost to Texas A&M, we were out of the National Championship picture. Did the remaining games matter?

In the bigger picture, football doesn't cure cancer or create world peace, does the sport even matter?

Do your teammates matter?

Does commitment matter? (not in recruiting anyway)

Does character matter?

Why the hell do we even play the game in the first place?

Really?

If that is your attitude, why do any of them matter?

If you are not in one of the two bowls that lead to a championship, does it matter?

Do regular season games matter?

Once we lost to Texas A&M, we were out of the National Championship picture. Did the remaining games matter?

In the bigger picture, football doesn't cure cancer or create world peace, does the sport even matter?

Do your teammates matter?

Does commitment matter? (not in recruiting anyway)

Does character matter?

Why the hell do we even play the game in the first place?

is-in-san-die-thatescalated-quickly-memes-com-14029890.png

I can see both sides.

The fan and little kid who played sports in me say you don't leave your team. However, if I were worn out after a P5 season, had some draft potential, and in the case of Grier as well as others a kid to think about...probably think long and hard about whether or not I want to get banged up vs Syracuse in the camper bowl...

Even minus the kid, Grier getting combine and draft ready could make a difference in whether he goes 2nd round, 25, or in the top 15...millions of dollars difference there...

Hell, I almost don't want to see Snell and Allen play. I know what they can do. Let me see Rose and Oates...I'd rather them get most of the snaps anyway...
I largely agree. If we are not playing for a NC, I'm fine previewing next year's stars in a bowl. It lends added interest to it, actually. However, I'll be more than happy to see everyone play if they want to put on their hats one last time. That also has its appeal.

Makes you wonder, as this trend continues (and more players skip the bowls), what if anything the bowls and TV people will do. If they can do anything. I'm sure the bowl people and networks are paying close attention to how this is affecting attendance and TV ratings/revenue.

If there wasn't so much time between bowl games and end of season it might make things better. I know it's tradition, but well over a month between last game and bowl game.

Thankfully this doesn't happen yet, but could you imagine Anthony Davis or KAT skipping the NCAA tournament ? And they were both overall # 1 picks in the draft. Disturbing trend indeed !

there should be a penalty for setting out. pay back your tuition.

Unfortunately, I think that this trend is really a broader statement about our society at large. 10, 15, 20 years ago I don't think this would've been tolerated by the "court of public opinion"

Players would've been slammed unmercifully, as they should be, and this selfish, disgusting trend would've been nipped in the bud early

The court of public opinion did not deal with this harshly when it began and now it's on a slippery slope to nowheresville… And I don't think that the horse can be put back in the barn.

I noticed that coaches and teammates don't say anything negative about this trend… Although you know they hate and resent it. They're too worried about being all inclusive and not hurting anyone's feelings, making everyone feel welcome; and coaches are probably terrified to alienate their players and/or recruits if they came out and said anything negative.

The inmates are now running the asylum

One thing that would help would be a change in terminology… If the media would stop calling it "electing to sit out the bowl game" and started calling it what it is "Quitting" or "abandoning" your teammates that would put a seriously negative connotation on it and perhaps change things

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
not sure how much they should pay. but without the university they couldn't show how good they are and there for would not be drafted that high.

i do not get the outrage
it is their lively hood on the line, not mine or yours

i see so many say they are not being a good teammate by skipping a minor bowl game
how do you all know that their teammates are not encouraging them to sit out and protect their future
i am willing to bet most of their teammates would do the same thing

Reactions: dvillecatfan
It kind of is, thought Grier isn’t the level of prospect that Simmons was. Basically no one in college football is as valuable money wise as top college basketball players.

I can tell you this… If I was a WVa. Fan and had already locked myself in to the bowl game (financially) for a family of 4 I'd be one ripped off m'fer.

I think it would be absolutely great to see 90% of the WVA fans who have already committed start demanding the money back… They paid for one thing and they're going to get something very different

Definitely a complex topic. I’ve been pondering that, along with the debate of whether the “other” bowls have any meaning. I could honestly see a trend towards non-playoff bowls being a time in which coaches try to get a jumpstart on the next year. For seniors and early entry juniors, play or doht play. For coaches, set your roster based on next year and get a month of practice with a different two deep. When you couple it with the new redshirt rules, there are some interesting possibilities.

Reactions: 167Hike
i do not get the outrage
it is their lively hood on the line, not mine or yours

i see so many say they are not being a good teammate by skipping a minor bowl game
how do you all know that their teammates are not encouraging them to sit out and protect their future
i am willing to bet most of their teammates would do the same thing
This attitude is the reason for the outrage. Not many years ago, nobody would even have considered this and if they did, everybody would been outraged and everybody would have understood the outrage. The traditional "team over me" mantra has become a joke in this "me first" society. "Eff you, I'm looking out for me." We officially suck as humans.

Reactions: JABJRS
This attitude is the reason for the outrage. Not many years ago, nobody would even have considered this and if they did, everybody would been outraged and everybody would have understood the outrage. The traditional "team over me" mantra has become a joke in this "me first" society. "Eff you, I'm looking out for me." We officially suck as humans.

Well said.

I don't know what surprises me more…that players would even consider doing this or the fact that some people seem to accept it; I think it's the people's acceptance of it that surprises me the most.

Sad commentary on where our society is.

Quitting used to be the ultimate shame, now we employ situational ethics to deem it acceptable if there's enough money involved.

Well said.

I don't know what surprises me more…that players would even consider doing this or the fact that some people seem to accept it; I think it's the people's acceptance of it that surprises me the most.

Sad commentary on where our society is.

Quitting used to be the ultimate shame, now we employ situational ethics to deem it acceptable if there's enough money involved.

This may have not been happening in college but this has been going on the nfl for decades so stop making this a generation issue.

Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith, Bo Jackson all timers held out to get pay more than they were and it freakin work.

And also why don’t you slam those coaches and coordinators who walk out on there team before these bowl games to take another job?

ADVERTISEMENT