ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UT andMartin?

Rupp'sRunt

All-American
Apr 19, 2008
He seemed to be doing really well there. Why was he pushed out the door with such haste cant really remember the story on that.

He seemed to be doing really well there. Why was he pushed out the door with such haste cant really remember the story on that.
He left on his own volition for unknown reasons. I don't know why. Possibly felt he wasn't getting the AD support he needed to succeed. He certainly is recruiting well at Cal Berkeley. Got both Rabb (a CA kid) and Brown. Very surprised he got Brown.

I know he left on his own accord but UT fans were screaming for him to get fired while he was bringing in big recruits (for a UT team).

I know he left on his own accord but UT fans were screaming for him to get fired while he was bringing in big recruits (for a UT team).

Was he bringing in big recruits though at UT? I know he is at Cal, but I do not remember him doing a great job recruiting at UT. I heard he was not getting AD support, did not like Knoxville and its people, and felt the year after he made it to the Sweet 16 he knew he had an awful team coming back and would be fired the next season (in his mind).

Was he bringing in big recruits though at UT? I know he is at Cal, but I do not remember him doing a great job recruiting at UT. I heard he was not getting AD support, did not like Knoxville and its people, and felt the year after he made it to the Sweet 16 he knew he had an awful team coming back and would be fired the next season (in his mind).
Jarnel Stokes was a monster. And I just don't get why the AD wouldn't help this guy. Is the AD going to bend over backwards for Barnes because he cant coach his way out of a paper bag.

They thought they were going to get Bruce pearl to come back. Then after pearl went to Auburn Martin left them high and dry. I for one don't blame him one bit. Coming off a sweetsixteen and the players played hard for him wasn't good enough for them. I'm sure he felt disrespected after everybody was screaming to fire him to bring back pearl after a decent season. I mean Indiana would've been happy with a sweetsixteen and they are a basketball school not a football school.

UT got a petition with 1,xxx,xxx (very large number) signatures to rehire Bruce, i.e., Martin didn't like and waved Adios Mxxxxers.

Fired by the fans..........kinda like Tubby.
Martin got a better job......Tubby got a job, then another job....
keeps getting paid big money without as much stress.

Before he made that deep tourney run his last year there fans were already talking about who was going to be hired to replace him and begging the AD to fire him. He was doing OK there but not great and had a surprising tourney run.

He was unpopular in Knoxville among the fans and his personality is completely opposite of Bruce Pearl. Fans were spreading a petition to get him fired and most people wanted Pearl to come back to coach the team, since Pearl was free from the three year penalty. UT ended up making the tourney and eventually reaching the sweet 16 and almost the elite eight.
Martin still felt unsupported and ended up bolting to Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT