ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Twitter in Absolute Shambles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon walked into a viper den. He may be the the owner, but he has been considered an enemy of a particular political faction that held power over the platform. The platform just so happened to be one of the primary vehicles to disseminate information in accordance to that classes views. Taking it over is a direct assault to them.

Firing hostile employees is a necessity to wrest control the company. Otherwise the indignant labor would obstruct his vision. The cases of employees expressing open animosity on the very platform he now controls is an example of that.

-
Musk isn’t showing his vision or giving employees a reason to buy into it. Abysmal attention seeking tactics are overriding his ability to lead. Hard to get people to buy in when you publicly call out employees or alienate the exact people you need on your side.

Twitter is not going to shutdown by losing engineers, but losing the people with the most experience with the systems 100% sets back timelines and leads to higher investment in time and money.

This thing that Twitter “is not that complicated” is neither here nor there. You’re talking about a huge codebase with many features and it often takes developers months to really understand systems and have the ability to make updates of value. If you have a really green team working on a legacy codebase, it typically leads to anarchy and higher tech debt until team gets battle hardened

Last edited:
Musk isn’t showing his vision or giving employees a reason to buy into it. Abysmal attention seeking tactics are overriding his ability to lead. Hard to get people to buy in when you publicly call out employees or alienate the exact people you need on your side.

Twitter is not going to shutdown by losing engineers, but losing the people with the most experience with the systems 100% sets back timelines and leads to higher investment in time and money.

This thing that Twitter “is not that complicated” is neither here nor there. You’re talking about a huge codebase with many features and it often takes developers months to really understand systems and have the ability to make updates of value. If you have a really green team working on a legacy codebase, it typically leads to anarchy and higher tech debt until team gets battle hardened

Yea, looks awful.

Apparently, he fired all the whipepo. No wonder racist Dems are in shambles.

Yea, looks awful.

Apparently, he fired all the whipepo. No wonder racist Dems are in shambles.
I don’t wtf dems have to do with anything. You people are nuts. That’s a good pic and it’s the image Elon should be pushing. Could be a photo op, but even still, that’s the right image to push. Certainly better than firing people on social media.

Musk is an engineer. Most people laid off weren’t engineers. The engineers might even like him better. If I was there, I would’ve stayed. It has nothing to do with your politics and I honestly don’t think Musk cares about politics

Last edited:
Reactions: Col. Angus
😂

FngFwspL5PCA.jpeg

As someone whose entire life revolves around software development and who has worked in some capacity in most roles in the world of enterprise development… I find the civilian takes on software engineering to be entertaining.

Its best when they start projecting their politics on developers. You know what most developers care about? Money and tech. It’s not much deeper
Wow. The one industry politics has not influenced. Virtuous.

Pretty sure this all boils down to

1- do you not want to work at Twitter for the new boss? Okay great quit and get another job.

2- do you want to work for the new boss at Twitter? Okay great do what he says.

Pretty simple. No one is on the internet crying about it if it’s your business or job.

I don’t wtf dems have to do with anything. You people are nuts. That’s a good pic and it’s the image Elon should be pushing. Could be a photo op, but even still, that’s the right image to push. Certainly better than firing people on social media.

Musk is an engineer. Most people laid off weren’t engineers. The engineers might even like him better. If I was there, I would’ve stayed. It has nothing to do with your politics and I honestly don’t think Musk cares about politics
Who did he lay off then (if not “engineers”).

Who did he lay off then (if not “engineers”).
Admin, product, support staff, HR. Here’s the thing about hiring software engineers. Typically they are the last thing to go in acquisitions because there aren’t enough of them. So if you have them, you typically try to keep them.

Admin, product, support staff, HR. Here’s the thing about hiring software engineers. Typically they are the last thing to go in acquisitions because there aren’t enough of them. So if you have them, you typically try to keep them.
I’ve seen engineers swept up in layoff waves lots of times.

Reactions: Girthang
I’ve seen engineers swept up in layoff waves lots of times.
Oh it happens. Don’t get me wrong. Typically that happens when there are synergies with existing departments. Tesla has a completely different type of engineering. I think the engineers laid off are likely feature teams that don’t match what his vision is.

But the guy is talking about building Twitter 2.0 and to build Twitter 2.0 you need people to build it.

I think there is the perception that Twitter engineers aren’t among the best and brightest, but they are. No doubt he’s cutting fat there, but I don’t believe for a second he wants to axe those guys.

The guy literally sends rockets into space everyday. I’m not a software engineer or anything but I get the feeling Twitter will be just fine. These “reports” I keep seeing from disgruntled former employees that Twitter will be dead in a week are laughable.

No question cutting the fat and making it profitable will be a daunting task considering the reports of how bloated and mismanaged it was before Musk’s purchase. I wouldn’t bet against the guy personally, but i guess we will see what happens.

Yeah, that is Twitter.
I’d bet a large amount there are plenty of “liberals” in that pic with Elon Musk. And I’d bet an even more amount of money that many were ecstatic to meet the dude. And I’d bet even more that he never asked their opinion about Joe Biden.

But in your world your team took over Twitter and you’re getting even with “the libs”.

It’s fantasyland.

Also, Musk owns Twitter. He can do what he wants with Twitter. Same principle applied to Dorsey. You see how that works? Freedom of enterprise. It’s beautiful.

I’d bet a large amount there are plenty of “liberals” in that pic with Elon Musk. And I’d bet an even more amount of money that many were ecstatic to meet the dude. And I’d bet even more that he never asked their opinion about Joe Biden.

But in your world your team took over Twitter and you’re getting even with “the libs”.

It’s fantasyland.

Also, Musk owns Twitter. He can do what he wants with Twitter. Same principle applied to Dorsey. You see how that works? Freedom of enterprise. It’s beautiful.
You know what's not fantasyland? Twitter was a huge leftist propaganda machine for years and it provided a huge channel for pushing lies and forcing the destructive goals of the regressive movement on the world. The left (including political leadership and former staff) have demonized Musk for his vision of free speech and fairness.

Now that the reality of this change is starting to sink in, you're scrambling to find ways to save face and adjust to the new rules. It's going to be painful going from a coddled baby to just another human being. Tough shit.

Pretty sure this all boils down to

1- do you not want to work at Twitter for the new boss? Okay great quit and get another job.

2- do you want to work for the new boss at Twitter? Okay great do what he says.

Pretty simple. No one is on the internet crying about it if it’s your business or job.
Dang that is what my employer told me the first day on the job. The choice was mine and he signed the check.

It’s fantasyland.

Dude, stick to telling people about “your world” and stop acting the fool. My world doesn’t own a Twitter account and does not define Musk’s politics or ambitions. But, it does not take a rocket scientist or a computer engineer to see politics in the fabric of Twitter. You have to be blind to deny that. And, I guarantee you there are liberals in that picture. Who gives a frick but you and your sorry politically defensive butt? Classic liberals are fans of free speech. It’s the woke extremists who cannot stand it.

What twitter and other social media showed everyone is that there is a vast portion of our society that can be controlled/manipulated by what they see on a consistent basis. Not everyone understood that that was what was shown.

What it also showed us is that the left cares the least for those who don't share their viewpoints and will become fascist more quickly than the right, who is more likely to defend the rights of people to think and express themselves differently than they do. The left sees everything else as extreme and dangerous. The right knows the difference between extreme, dangerous, and delusional. The right would prefer the left be more private with their personal lives and fetishes, but understands some people will be the way they are. The left prefers to force their personal lives upon the world and silence anyone who doesn't like or want to live the same way.

It also showed us that freely speaking is not the danger so much as controlling speech and the language itself. Changing the language to change the law and rights is the danger. Defining choices in religion, politics, science, and education as dangerous and using tech to crush dissent is itself the most dangerous.

Look at how skewed the perspective has been crafted regarding the 99% destructive riots of just a few years ago when compared to the 99% benign protests at the capital. Look at how each was either prosecuted or ignored after the fact. The justice system has been entirely corrupted by monetary and political bias, just like the legislative system has been by lobbying, insider trading, and influence peddling/money laundering, the latter of which is shared by the executive branch. All of this corruption has been crafted and made possible through the medias (social, print, and video), who are now lawfully able to push gov propaganda without recourse to them regardless of the truthfulness of it or the harm it may cause the public.

Twitter has revealed the hearts of people and their desires, and the outlook isn't pretty

Seems like issues that would be the result of such a big organization change. This can happen to any company and I've seen it happen, when big org changes or mergers happen. Maybe this 3rd party doesn't want to deal.. but their issues should be expected when a big change happens.. especially something like SSO which *could* be a problem with the 3rd party company. And further, if they were worth their salt.. they'd be using an SSO platform for their agency like Okta.

But.. I am still skeptical of the # of folks leaving. Software devs and tech workers are EXTREMELY liberal.. I can say first hand that at my last three companies, I've found fellow conservatives and we all just keep our views hidden. I mean, my team right now is 20% gay and 10% trans.. believe it or not. So it's gonna be tough to retain workers but also find replacements when needed, do long as Musk has this perception. He's also never going to win this "return to work" battle until every other tech company does it. The good workers will find another company that pays the same and allows them to WFH.

Does Twitter need 7500 workers? Probably not. But as departments get pinched, service begins to falter, at least from what the customer expects.

Hard to say as a tech worker if this winds up working in the long run. I LOVE seeing these pretentious devs get pushed out.. but will this work? Idk.

Last edited:
There’s a Tesla charging station next to my office. Always full and they all usually have California or Texas plates. There’s also a Starbucks over there so sometimes I duck out and go get a coffee and return emails on my phone for like forty five minutes. Or I just dick around on the Cayuts Internet WebSite with all you winners.

So anyway I’m sitting there and I look out the window and there’s a Tesla pulling a little ass camper. Like the kind my grandad use to keep for deer hunting season.

And at that very moment I was unsure if human civilization should continue on.

I guess Trump has yet to tweet? I would love to see Biden tweet “at” Trump:

“Welcome back. Good timing. Now, get busy destroying the GOP’s chances to retake the presidency!”

That would be an awesome gauntlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT