ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trayce Jackson Davis returning to IU

Good College player who's game likely translates as less than to the NBA. That said - he's in the Grant Williams mold (minus the incessant flopping) - and somehow he is making it. Skilled but not great size.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Race Thompson’s returning too. They’ll have one helluva frontcourt next year with both those guys back as seniors.

The question is whether they’ll have the guards to go with them.

Always been amazed that after following his AAU team for multiple seasons Kentucky went hard after Brooks and never even considered offering Jackson-Davis.
I watched both players in high school. Took a buddy from work to the center grove gym twice. We watched TJD destroy a team. Then went back and watched Romeo destroy Brooks. It is crazy that Brooks was so highly recruited. We both saw some attitude issues back then. He trashed talked Romeo all night. Romeo sat the 4th quarter and had almost 40 points.

Race Thompson’s returning too. They’ll have one helluva frontcourt next year with both those guys back as seniors.

That’s a question for a lot of teams. Guards should be a premium.

They finally have a legit PG coming in Hood-Schifano. He’s pretty good in the games I’ve seen him play in and they grabbed his 5 star team mate as well.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
They finally have a legit PG coming in Hood-Schifano. He’s pretty good in the games I’ve seen him play in and they grabbed his 5 star team mate as well.
I’m not worried about the point. It’s the 2-3 spots. Those are the question marks. X is actually pretty solid. He played as well as any point guard the last 1/4 of the season. JHS is as solid a combo guard as I’ve seen. Will that translate? Hope so.

• Haha
Reactions: WolfTix
I’m not worried about the point. It’s the 2-3 spots. Those are the question marks. X is actually pretty solid. He played as well as any point guard the last 1/4 of the season. JHS is as solid a combo guard as I’ve seen. Will that translate? Hope so.
Is Johnson coming back? What happened with his eluding police charges?

Is Johnson coming back? What happened with his eluding police charges?
Well I know people won’t believe this but if you go to that stretch of road it’s easy to not see a cop with his lights on. They aren’t sure they were on until he lost them. The stop sign he supposedly ran was on private property. He also didn’t resist arrest. The cop contradicts himself. I believe it will be pled down to misdemeanors as most do. I got caught racing in that same spot. A mustang got away.

Well I know people won’t believe this but if you go to that stretch of road it’s easy to not see a cop with his lights on. They aren’t sure they were on until he lost them. The stop sign he supposedly ran was on private property. He also didn’t resist arrest. The cop contradicts himself. I believe it will be pled down to misdemeanors as most do. I got caught racing in that same spot. A mustang got away.
Still the speed he went was dumb even according to all the Hoosier fans I’ve heard talk about it online.

Still the speed he went was dumb even according to all the Hoosier fans I’ve heard talk about it online.
Well yeah. He was racing a mustang. I/we used to race in that spot. Many of us got caught. We’ve all done dumb stuff especially at that age. His hearing is next week. I expect he will get it plead down. They do that to everyone in Monroe county for similar cases.

Basically all the traditional low post players are returning to school except Kofi Cockburn. The NBA simply doesn't value bigs unless they can shoot 3s or they have freakish measurable.

Which is funny because just off the top of my head (I watch almost 0 NBA) Kevon Looney and PJ Tucker are 2 starting big men in the finals. Looney is 6'9 and Tucker is 6'5. Looney was known as an aggressive rebounder with average athleticism (Oscar?) And Tucker, who used to be athletic 10 years ago, is a past his prime woefully undersized 4 who makes it work through experience, effort, and talent. Examples that being 7 foot with a 40" vertical isn't necessary. Which is why I can't fathom how NBA executives aren't salivating over a guy like Oscar.

Which is funny because just off the top of my head (I watch almost 0 NBA) Kevon Looney and PJ Tucker are 2 starting big men in the finals. Looney is 6'9 and Tucker is 6'5. Looney was known as an aggressive rebounder with average athleticism (Oscar?) And Tucker, who used to be athletic 10 years ago, is a past his prime woefully undersized 4 who makes it work through experience, effort, and talent. Examples that being 7 foot with a 40" vertical isn't necessary. Which is why I can't fathom how NBA executives aren't salivating over a guy like Oscar.
Tucker is pretty much automatic from the corner 3. Looney hit a corner 3 last night during the Warriors 4th quarter run.

The NBA loves big men who can shoot.

Reactions: RunninRichie
It is quite a change. The centers in these NBA conference finals are all about 6’9” …and with guys in the 6’5” to 6’7”range playing nearly all the PF minutes.

Quite a difference from the days when it was believed that you needed that big 7 foot post presence in the middle.

Tucker is pretty much automatic from the corner 3. Looney hit a corner 3 last night during the Warriors 4th quarter run.

Hitting one shot does not make one a shooter, and Looney is most definitely NOT one. He’s only a 17% career three shooter …and rarely ever attempts any outside shots.

But he represents the basics of what teams want from the center spot today. They no longer care as much about having that big inside post presence …as long as the 5 can defend the spot, rebound and has the mobility to come out and defend pick and rolls and close out on shooters.

The last part being why so many teams today would rather have the more mobile 6’9”-ish center than the 7 footer stuck in the paint.

Last edited:

Looney is a career 17% shooter from 3. Making 1 in a game doesn't make him a threat from deep. If Looney can make it as a below the rim 6'9 center at 220lbs, Oscar can make it at 6'8 and 250 with the biggest heart on the court.

And I wasn't aware Tucker shoots 36% from 3 but still only an 8 and 6 guy night in and night out. My point is Oscar could 100% give 8 and 6 with starters minutes. And I have no doubt that he will learn to hit a 3 when open. He won't turn into Rasheed Wallace, but he won't be Ben Wallace either.

Hitting one shot does not make one a shooter, and Looney is most definitely NOT one. He’s only a 17% career three shooter …and rarely ever attempts any outside shots.

But he represents the basics of what teams want from the center spot today. They no longer care as much about having that big inside post presence …as long as the 5 can defend the spot, rebound and has the mobility to come out and defend pick and rolls and close out on shooters.

The last part being why so many teams today would rather have the more mobile 6’9”-ish center than the 7 footer stuck in the paint.
That’s why they don’t get drafted though. They wait and get them cheap. It’s easy to get them when nobody else does.

I watched both players in high school. Took a buddy from work to the center grove gym twice. We watched TJD destroy a team. Then went back and watched Romeo destroy Brooks. It is crazy that Brooks was so highly recruited. We both saw some attitude issues back then. He trashed talked Romeo all night. Romeo sat the 4th quarter and had almost 40 points.
Attitude issues? Everything I have ever read on Brooks was he is a great teammate

It is quite a change. The centers in these NBA conference finals are all about 6’9” …and with guys in the 6’5” to 6’7”range playing nearly all the PF minutes.

Quite a difference from the days when it was believed that you needed that big 7 foot post presence in the middle.
It seems the SF now days are 6'10+ and the centers are all under 6'9" lol

Tatum, Durant, Greek freak, lebron is 6'8/6'9,
There are several players with unreal ball skills in the NBA that are 6'9 and taller.

Tatum, Durant, Greek freak, lebron is 6'8/6'9,
There are several players with unreal ball skills in the NBA that are 6'9 and taller.
Durant hasn’t played the 3 in years, he exclusively plays the 4 spot nowadays. The Greek freak is also a 4. And Tatum and LeBron are around 6’8”.

I can’t think of a single starting 3 who’s 6’10+ in today’s NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT