ADVERTISEMENT

OT...Tennessee Titans Part ways with Mike Mularkey...

Rumor is he would not part ways with coaches.
Rumor for last year or so down here is that Nick Saban would covet this job, just added his second Mercedes dealership in Nashville, Son in law is GM of dealership. Wife has said she would like to live in Nashville and grandkids. Been rumors, could be UT fans hoping but apparently Ms Terry has told people that she loves Nashville and can retire here. No state income tax.
Most feel like Bud Adams would have paid the max to get him, his daughter who is now the one who oversees it probably not savvy enough or wants to pay out since they are selling to offset tax burden.
Saban would have to look and ask, Marcus Mariota, Franchise QB? Under the cap etc..
Young team. A longshot with what he has going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Rumor is he would not part ways with coaches.
Rumor for last year or so down here is that Nick Saban would covet this job, just added his second Mercedes dealership in Nashville, Son in law is GM of dealership. Wife has said she would like to live in Nashville and grandkids. Been rumors, could be UT fans hoping but apparently Ms Terry has told people that she loves Nashville and can retire here. No state income tax.
Most feel like Bud Adams would pay the max to get him, his daughter who is now the one who oversees it probably not savvy enough or wants to pay out since they are selling to offset tax burden.
Saban would have to look and ask, Marcus Mariota, Franchise QB? Under the cap etc..
Young team. A longshot with what he has going on.

How good is Saban when he doesn’t have an overwhelming talent advantage 95% of the time? He is a really good coach but I am not sure his antics would equate to success at the NFL level.

It’s the same situation Pitino faced in Boston. You can’t demean grown men who make more than you and expect them to play hard for you.

Reactions: law1127
Bud Adams died in 2013. I am sure though the family and organization would pay Saban whatever to come.

I’d say schools bag men would move money from illegal recruiting slush funds towards a Saban to NFL move.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Bud Adams died in 2013. I am sure though the family and organization would pay Saban whatever to come.

I’d say schools bag men would move money from illegal recruiting slush funds towards a Saban to NFL move.
Bud Adams would make the hire if he was alive is what some have said, his kids are not very FB savvy and most feel like they are trying to sell due to the major tax burden. Robinson who was a Belichick disciple is running the FB operation.

Reactions: bigbluemist
Saban and NFL players would be like oil and water. I just do not see NFL players wanting to adhere to his strict policies. Plus the Media would destroy him if he has mediocre success. Not that he would not take the job but I think his personality is better suited for college game.

Reactions: bigbluemist
Saban and NFL players would be like oil and water. I just do not see NFL players wanting to adhere to his strict policies. Plus the Media would destroy him if he has mediocre success. Not that he would not take the job but I think his personality is better suited for college game.

Tom Coughlin had no issues and he is way more strict than Saban...and Example is The Hoodie...everything Saban learned came from him...Remember Saban was a Hoodie Assistant

Reactions: fabcat
You only have to look at the issues Saban had at Miami to see that the NFL may not be a good fit for him.

You only have to look at the issues Saban had at Miami to see that the NFL may not be a good fit for him.
What issues other than the way he left and the fact he did not have a franchise QB which dooms any coach.
Players may have bad mouthed him a bit on how he left but not Bobby Petrino diss when he left ATL. Mostly did a good job, playoffs one year.
Nick would have never gone to Alabama unless the Miami team Dr. told management not to sign Drew Brees. He may have left by now and gone to college but the fact the team DR.'s did not sign off on Drew Brees being back 100%. Dr. James Andrews told them he would be better than before.

Work for Crazy Jim Irsay or Bud Adams daughter who knows nothing about FB. John Robinson is a Belichick guy so McDaniels is probably guy. I would call Nick to see.
Franchise QB or close to one and a good salary cap deal.

He is my number one choice.

https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee...ial-Titans-head-coaching-candidates-113735665

First, you have to wonder......do you want Lebeau and would he want to come back?

1. I like McDaniels and think he’d do well to get the offense up and running. His hiring nag could allow Lebeau to stay if you desire. He’d have great chemistry with J-Rob.

2. Shurmur is ok and he’s done very well with Keenum (a mobile QB). And Lebeau is in play. I’d probably favor McDaniels.

3. I really like Schwartz and he did a good job in Detroit given what he had to work with. But what would the offense look like and who would run it? Jim’s also a 4-3 guy.....would he let Lebeau go and would he want to change schemes? I’d be ok with letting Lebeau go but I WOULD NOT be in favor of spending 3-4 yrs to change the roster over.

4. I’m not in favor of guys like Vrabel and Defillipo who don’t have quite enough experience.

I’d like to hear other candidates.

It’s all bull malarkey about saban. Not happening

Maybe Jeff fisher?? Thatd be a unique hire

^Agree. I don’t believe any of the Saban talk.

There were reports back in 2015-2016 that McDaniels wanted the Titans’ job because of Mariota. And that was pre-Jon Robinson. Now that J-Rob is the GM, McDaniels is easily the obvious choice. My only reservations I have is what’s he gonna do with the defense and how will he build the offense around Mariota.

How good is Saban when he doesn’t have an overwhelming talent advantage 95% of the time? He is a really good coach but I am not sure his antics would equate to success at the NFL level.

It’s the same situation Pitino faced in Boston. You can’t demean grown men who make more than you and expect them to play hard for you.

They probably won't be making as much as him but you have a good point. Meanwhile, if the Mercedes is 1/2 as good a car as he is a coach I know what my next car will be.

Reactions: RonEJones
They are going to want to hire someone who can expand the Marcus Mariota experiment a little deeper. Terry Robiskie is not a QB guru or whisperer. They wanted a change on this and this is why coach is gone, he wanted to keep same offense.
Saban if he goes to NFL, this is closest thing he can get to a good fit, Franchise QB, youth, great salary cap, wife wants to move to Nashville, no state income tax.
Titans are probably going to hire a QB coach type.

Josh McDaniels will be the next titans coach
He is more likely to go to the Colts. I think getting McDaniels is what the Titan's GM is hoping. I doubt they get him. They'd have been better off to let Malarkey keep his staff in place, imho.

Exactly. All these posts are acting like it's a hypothetical. We've seen what he could do at Miami. He was ok at best.

I don't see him doing it

I’m now thinking Mike Vrabel for Tennessee...

He scares me. There is no doubt about his ability to play. And he talk about him is very positive. But he retired only 7 yrs ago....and granted he coached LB's at OSU, he has only coached in the NFL for 4 yrs. He has very, very little coaching experience.

If they hire Vrabel I'd be much more at ease if Lebeau stays and controls the defense.....and he better have an OC in mind.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
They have a playoff caliber football team with a young but very good QB. They had better get this right or the people in Nashville will not be happy. They didn't like Mularky (sp) very much or rather his style of football. Will be interesting who they actually get.

it sure would be fun to see Jeff Fisher again, but I doubt they'll look at him.

What a difficult name to carry around this sphere for a lifetime. How does one ever establish credibility? Little wonder he's looking for work.

They have a playoff caliber football team with a young but very good QB. They had better get this right or the people in Nashville will not be happy. They didn't like Mularky (sp) very much or rather his style of football. Will be interesting who they actually get.

The players actually loved Mularkey.

The fans love the physical, smashmouth style of play. What they didn't like was the stubbornness of play and regression of Mariota......not playing Henry over Murray when he clearly had passed him, not playing to Mariota's strengths, etc.

Reactions: Oak_Hill
I would have to look this up, but I believe Belichck is the only Coach that is getting paid more than Saban and I have no doubt that Bama would make him the highest paid coach in sports to keep him. Saban also has total control over the entire program. What in the world could a pro team offer him that would make him want to leave? He retires at Bama as probably the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

Schefter is now reporting that he “wouldn’t be surprised if the Titans enter and take over as favorites for McDaniels...”

I would have to look this up, but I believe Belichck is the only Coach that is getting paid more than Saban and I have no doubt that Bama would make him the highest paid coach in sports to keep him. Saban also has total control over the entire program. What in the world could a pro team offer him that would make him want to leave? He retires at Bama as probably the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

Just don’t see Saban leaving Bama for another job. Why end his career in the NFL with a possible poor showing when you can continue to compete at the highest level and further solidify your status as the GOAT?

ADVERTISEMENT