ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kennedy's Book Store closing

By my third semester at UK, I was basically done with selling books back to the book store.

Sold to classmates/friends, gave away, or occasionally kept.

By the time I attended grad school the next decade, I bought and sold every textbook on the Internet. On occasion, I would sell it for more than I paid for it.

More or less, the process was like renting the book, which I understand has become the norm for many students today.

That “sell used books back to the bookstore “ process was a racket. And it’s a shame that so many students were taken advantage or allowed it to happen for so many decades.

By my third semester at UK, I was basically done with selling books back to the book store.

Sold to classmates/friends, gave away, or occasionally kept.

By the time I attended grad school the next decade, I bought and sold every textbook on the Internet. On occasion, I would sell it for more than I paid for it.

More or less, the process was like renting the book, which I understand has become the norm for many students today.

That “sell used books back to the bookstore “ process was a racket. And it’s a shame that so many students were taken advantage or allowed it to happen for so many decades.

Uh, for many decades? For most of those decades, there was no internet, or at least it was nothing like it is now. You couldn't sell your books online. You could either keep them, find another student to sell them directly to, or sell them back to the bookstore. So it was certainly better than keeping them and getting nothing for them.

Kennedys did not adapt well to the internet age....
giphy.gif

Reactions: notelvis and UKUGA
Uh, for many decades? For most of those decades, there was no internet, or at least it was nothing like it is now. You couldn't sell your books online. You could either keep them, find another student to sell them directly to, or sell them back to the bookstore. So it was certainly better than keeping them and getting nothing for them.

Uh . . .

By my third semester, which was mid-90's, I had found a palatable alternative to selling back to the bookstore, which was primarily selling to other students.

I did this by looking people in the eye and asking, "Are you taking Finance 300 next semester? If so, I can sell you the textbook. Just confirm that the professor is using the same book, and I will sell it to you at a discount from the bookstore price."

I did that without using the Internet. Somehow.

Hate that. I went each year I go to a basketball game. Any other UK stores in Lex?
There is a big UK store at Hamburg Pavilion may be called Wildcat Wearhouse also Fan Outfiters both in Lexington and Louisville and online

Last edited:
When I read this yesterday I remembered this thread from July 2017 and wondered how much this new rule going into effect next month might have to do with them closing.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/new-upcoming-rule-regarding-uk-gear.238527/
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/new-upcoming-rule-regarding-uk-gear.238527/
original post by @ORCAT
I was at Kennedy's Bookstore yesterday on campus and was told something rather interesting by the store manager. She said, starting in January, that all stores in Kentucky will only be able to sell the same exact UK gear and only by two vendors. Those two vendors are to be Nike, of course, and JAmerica. She was pretty unhappy about the arrangement and I asked her what it would mean for local merchants such as Wildcat Wearhouse and others that print their own UK shirt/sweatshirt designs, etc. She just said it would probably be very bad news for such places. She did say it is still possible that JAmerica may connect with some other companies such as Champion and others but there is nothing known about that at all right now. What I came away with was that it could mean the end of some local companies and maybe even some larger ones such as Fan Ourfitters and Alumni Hall as those places carry many other vendors other than Nike. For the fans, it is really bad news as we will all be limited to the exact same products being made by these two vendors, if it stays as is. Plus, not all UK fans can afford Nike prices. Just sounds like a very greedy deal UK has worked out with no concern for local companies or the fans. Any of you have some thoughts about this? Am I overreacting or do you see some of the same concerns that I do. We all buy a great deal of UK stuff as we have seen people discuss on this board in the past. I have no idea if this affects out of state online purchases at all and I didn't think to ask her about that until I had left Kennedy's. She did say it was in Kentucky that this would be happening, whatever that might mean. Thoughts?

I went to Memphis. There wasn't really a point in trying to sell textbooks, instead we were filing up to 4 police reports by the end of the semester because by that time they were all stolen.

College is where I learned to just leave the car doors unlocked. If not you'd be replacing glass plus the stolen item.

When I read this yesterday I remembered this thread from July 2017 and wondered how much this new rule going into effect next month might have to do with them closing.

original post by @ORCAT
I was at Kennedy's Bookstore yesterday on campus and was told something rather interesting by the store manager. She said, starting in January, that all stores in Kentucky will only be able to sell the same exact UK gear and only by two vendors. Those two vendors are to be Nike, of course, and JAmerica. She was pretty unhappy about the arrangement and I asked her what it would mean for local merchants such as Wildcat Wearhouse and others that print their own UK shirt/sweatshirt designs, etc. She just said it would probably be very bad news for such places. She did say it is still possible that JAmerica may connect with some other companies such as Champion and others but there is nothing known about that at all right now. What I came away with was that it could mean the end of some local companies and maybe even some larger ones such as Fan Ourfitters and Alumni Hall as those places carry many other vendors other than Nike. For the fans, it is really bad news as we will all be limited to the exact same products being made by these two vendors, if it stays as is. Plus, not all UK fans can afford Nike prices. Just sounds like a very greedy deal UK has worked out with no concern for local companies or the fans. Any of you have some thoughts about this? Am I overreacting or do you see some of the same concerns that I do. We all buy a great deal of UK stuff as we have seen people discuss on this board in the past. I have no idea if this affects out of state online purchases at all and I didn't think to ask her about that until I had left Kennedy's. She did say it was in Kentucky that this would be happening, whatever that might mean. Thoughts?

It's terrible, and I'm sure it played a huge role. But hey, since the mid 2,000's, Kentucky's hatchetmen think they own everything from the state name to the color blue.

I absolutely detest these people.

I went to Memphis. There wasn't really a point in trying to sell textbooks, instead we were filing up to 4 police reports by the end of the semester because by that time they were all stolen.

College is where I learned to just leave the car doors unlocked. If not you'd be replacing glass plus the stolen item.[/QUOTEWhoa..college campus.... how much of that is true?

All good things come to an end.

My guess it's a combination of things, but I'm sure online ordering has a part to play in it.

Agreed along with the astronomical amount of $$ these book stores scam out of students.

Spend $247 on a textbook and get $13 when you sell it back lol

I loved going there when i was at UK. It was def fun and is absolutely a Kentucky tradition but along with their insane amounts they charge for textbooks their UK gear is also overpriced. I can find the exact stuff/ equal or better quality online for much cheaper.

Still sad to see it go

If I had a dollar for every text book stolen, I'd be able to buy at least 10 items from McDonald's dollar menu.

A few times I had my windows busted out. Especially parking near the rust
bowl.

To this day I leave nothing important in my ride, and never lock the doors. If you want to steal it, steal it. If not, go through an empty car; just make sure to shut the door when you're done.

When you're raised near Memphis it's basically an understood concept.

If I had a dollar for every text book stolen, I'd be able to buy at least 10 items from McDonald's dollar menu.

A few times I had my windows busted out. Especially parking near the rust
bowl.

To this day I leave nothing important in my ride, and never lock the doors. If you want to steal it, steal it. If not, go through an empty car; just make sure to shut the door when you're done.

When you're raised near Memphis it's basically an understood concept.

A friend of mine lived in Memphis 2-3 years after graduating from Arkansas. He had his Mustang stolen at gunpoint one morning. IIRC, he was planning to go to the airport.

He called the cops, who didn't seem to understand that the robbery had just happened. He said several minutes later, a cop rode up on a bicycle and was shocked to learn that my friend had just been robbed at gunpoint.

Reactions: morgousky
Hey, me too!
I started there in fall of '74 and lived in Haggin Hall.
But I believe it was Tolly Ho that was originally behind Kennedys.
I lived in Haggin Hall on the baseball floor. Do you remember that 7 or 8 foot dick somebody made out of snow in the Courtyard?

This is a shocker to me. I bought all of my books at that store from 1961-1965. I always went there when I returned to Lexington. I remember one day I was in there and Leonard Hamilton was showing Darryl Dawkins around. Great memories at Kennedy. So sorry to see it come to an end

2 names that don't get mentioned much here; I'm sure Hamilton could write one heck of a book about his time here.

Sounds like most got nothing anyway.

A friend of mine lived in Memphis 2-3 years after graduating from Arkansas. He had his Mustang stolen at gunpoint one morning. IIRC, he was planning to go to the airport.

He called the cops, who didn't seem to understand that the robbery had just happened. He said several minutes later, a cop rode up on a bicycle and was shocked to learn that my friend had just been robbed at gunpoint.

And that's the second thing my college taught me.

Take your glock around Mtown.

Reactions: UKUGA
Man, this sucks so bad.

I wonder how Kennedy's going out will affect the Cats Pause magazine and yearbooks? Seems like they were a pretty big part of TCP.

I lived in Haggin Hall on the baseball floor. Do you remember that 7 or 8 foot dick somebody made out of snow in the Courtyard?
I DO remember that!
I had nothing to do with building it, but I do remember. LOL

I lived in B3. There were swimmers and wrestlers on our floor.

I DO remember that!
I had nothing to do with building it, but I do remember. LOL

I lived in B3. There were swimmers and wrestlers on our floor.
I guess it was the snow here in Alabama that made me think of that. My funniest memory from that year was Ramsey and some the other football guys used to play basketball on the court at the head of Fraternity Row. Well 3 guys from the dorm had a egg thrower and would shoot eggs out of the Courtyard at that basketball Court and the people playing could not figure where in hell they were coming from. No chance you lived in Blanding 3 the Co-Ed dorm the following year?

I'm sad to hear this. I would always stop by for a look and to buy some UK gear every time I passed through Lexington. I liked still being able to shop in the same store my Dad did when he was a student at UK 50 years ago........... kind of like when the last of my Dad's favorite restaurants on the drive between Western North Carolina and Lexington closed down and got replaced by a Taco Bell. Nothing lasts forever, does it?

I guess it was the snow here in Alabama that made me think of that. My funniest memory from that year was Ramsey and some the other football guys used to play basketball on the court at the head of Fraternity Row. Well 3 guys from the dorm had a egg thrower and would shoot eggs out of the Courtyard at that basketball Court and the people playing could not figure where in hell they were coming from. No chance you lived in Blanding 3 the Co-Ed dorm the following year?
Close. I was in Kirwin Tower 8th floor.
The egg thrower thing is hilarious. Somebody on our floor at Haggin made a "Funnelator". It was basically a huge sling shot made from a funnel and some rubber tubing from a science lab. We made a bunch of water balloons and went to the top of the parking structure that was across from K-Lair. We bombarded a group of girls sunbathing all the way over at Donovan Hall. They had no idea where the balloons were coming from. Boy, those were the days...

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Anyone remember the lithograph hanging over the front door in the mid seventies?Rupps Runts.

Close. I was in Kirwin Tower 8th floor.
The egg thrower thing is hilarious. Somebody on our floor at Haggin made a "Funnelator". It was basically a huge sling shot made from a funnel and some rubber tubing from a science lab. We made a bunch of water balloons and went to the top of the parking structure that was across from K-Lair. We bombarded a group of girls sunbathing all the way over at Donovan Hall. They had no idea where the balloons were coming from. Boy, those were the days...
That's what they we're shooting the eggs with was one of the funnellrator things. Funny stuff.

Reactions: On-On-UK
So they are closing the 22nd?

Hope I can make one last visit.

When we drove by when we were in town for Madness, I think the Fazolis is already closed. I too loved the Den but hated getting ripped for book sell backs. Barely could afford Mad Dog 2020 after those days.

I ate at KLair daily, I can remember where it was but I cannot remember where the Cafeteria was, just shows how many times I ate there.

It was allllll the way across campus from what i remember. I only ate there a handful of times. If i was gonna walk that far i just went to McDonald’s or Tolly Ho Lol

I've never understood people having reverence to a business that's making money off them. Especially one that's taking advantage of people to do so. Screw Kennedys, screw blockbuster, screw cable companies. I'm glad they're all going away. Next to fall, car dealerships. Drain the swamp.

I've never understood people having reverence to a business that's making money off them. Especially one that's taking advantage of people to do so. Screw Kennedys, screw blockbuster, screw cable companies. I'm glad they're all going away. Next to fall, car dealerships. Drain the swamp.

Well, when you have to pay for brick and mortar, plus employees, plus insane taxes, what do you expect them to do? That's how business works.

The internet will adjust and be just as high or close. Just wait until the Feds get ahold of eBay and amazon, they'll sky rocket too.

As someone who's owned businesses, failed, and did it again, I can tell ya, these businesses aren't making huge profits. I owned a men's clothing store, southern tide southern marsh fraternity collection etc. it's nearly impossible to make it work today. Then there's people like you who basically want it free (come on, admit it).

I get your animosity toward cable / phone companies / big cooperate business to an extent, but Kennedy's?

Well, when you have to pay for brick and mortar, plus employees, plus insane taxes, what do you expect them to do? That's how business works.

The internet will adjust and be just as high or close. Just wait until the Feds get ahold of eBay and amazon, they'll sky rocket too.

As someone who's owned businesses, failed, and did it again, I can tell ya, these businesses aren't making huge profits. I owned a men's clothing store, southern tide southern marsh fraternity collection etc. it's nearly impossible to make it work today. Then there's people like you who basically want it free (come on, admit it).

I get your animosity toward cable / phone companies / big cooperate business to an extent, but Kennedy's?

I know how business works. I manage a business that does over 12 million in sales under my umbrella. I have a problem with any business where the model is forced purchase and the companies then take advantage of that fact. Kennedy’s benefited off that system for 50 years. Now competition has changed and they’re dying. It’s not hard to make money with no competition.

I know how business works. I manage a business that does over 12 million in sales under my umbrella. I have a problem with any business where the model is forced purchase and the companies then take advantage of that fact. Kennedy’s benefited off that system for 50 years. Now competition has changed and they’re dying. It’s not hard to make money with no competition.

I hear ya.

I'm sure we both hate the banking system with passion.

Reactions: robman181
Best place for UK gear.... stuff you just don't see up here in N. KY. Gonna have to make one last visit.

ADVERTISEMENT