ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kennedy's Book Store closing

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
heraldleader‏Verified account@heraldleader 4m4 minutes ago
Photos of Kennedy's Book Store in the 1950s and 1960s. The store, a fixture near UK's campus since 1950, announced tonight that it is closing. http://www.kentucky.com/news/business/article189088329.html… @tomeblen @KYPhotoArchive

DQurN-MUMAAIO0R.jpg

DQurPWNVAAE7aGh.jpg

Bummer.... why are they closing?? I hope UK didn’t pull some power play to squeeze them out of business.
My guess is students got tired of getting ripped off and over-paying for books. I would try and go there and get the ISBN number and then order books online for 90% less. And that was over 10 years ago. I have to think that trend has only gotten worse.

Best UK gear is in Kennedy's Den. Hate to see it go. Kennedys and Wallaces were two bookstores when I was at UK along with the Student Center Bookstore. Tolly Ho was a staple and behind Kennedys. The one armed cook and Radioman. 2 eggs toast and coffee .59. Wow.

This is sad. Kennedy's is a fixture on campus, and to me, a special part of UK history. My dad and I are both UK alumni. He is a class of '74 grad, and I'm class of '96. I hope they commemorate it somehow. Major bummer for me. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: HICATFAN
Gonna be a new development there. Will probably tear down the old fazolis building too. Put up some housing and retail at the bottom.

I haven't been there in a while but I loved Kennedy's also!!! Great UK gear and wonderful memories for me!

I ordered my Catspause yearbook from there in October and was surprised how quick it was shipped.

Sad to see it close as it was an icon but with internet shopping and a multitude of other stores selling UK gear it's easy to see why it's happening. Books for college level course are outrageously expensive everywhere these days but Kennedy's was always a bit higher than most, as I recall.

Bought my first UK shirt there my Freshman year 1974. If I remember correctly Ollies Trolley was just outside.
Hey, me too!
I started there in fall of '74 and lived in Haggin Hall.
But I believe it was Tolly Ho that was originally behind Kennedys.

This is a shocker to me. I bought all of my books at that store from 1961-1965. I always went there when I returned to Lexington. I remember one day I was in there and Leonard Hamilton was showing Darryl Dawkins around. Great memories at Kennedy. So sorry to see it come to an end
Sixty-one to 65???
Is that where you bought ink for your quill? :smiley:

Just kidding, Sawnee. Time really files. I took each of my 3 sons there on their first day at UK.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
It is sad for me too, I've been going there since the early 70's, that's one of the first places I went as soon as I got to Lexington. I can't imagine it not being there anymore.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Went back to UK this past October for my annual college reunion trip and we drove by Kennedys and we all said how that's one of the only places on campus that hasn't changed. Man, time is flying.

Wow! Whenever I come home, I make a trip to Kennedy's to browse around for UK gear to bring back to NC. Hate to hear this.

Same here. We just were there a few weeks ago. Had to re-stock our UK gear supply during the UT game, to bring back here to NC.

ADVERTISEMENT