ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Justin Thomas first Kentuckian since Gay Brewer to win major

Bobby Nichols and another St X man Frank Beard also won majors IIRC. Can't remember when.

I surfed when I got home and never stick on a golf channel except today when Thomas had the lead. Saw the last several holes and glad I did. A great champion with an amazing support system. Seems like a such a fine kid.

Nichols won the 1964 PGA. Frank Beard was the leading money winner on the PGA Tour in 1969, but he never won a major.

How about Jodie Mudd? Wasn't he from St X?

He won the Player's Championship, but never a major. Justin won the AJGA event, at Bellefonte CC in Ashland, several years ago. You could tell he was going to be special. Shame he went to Bama, instead of UK. Seemed like a really nice kid, and his parents were likeable, too. His Dad was a club pro. May still be.

Justin won the AJGA event, at Bellefonte CC in Ashland, several years ago. You could tell he was going to be special.
Funny...my Mom was the Tee host at the 15th hole. She drove a cart carrying one of the players to the green (to speed up play). She fell in love with Justin and called me to say: "Justin will be the next Jack Nicklaus."

Kenny Perry came about as close as possible. Leading by 1 with 1 left in the 96 PGA, and leading by 2 with 2 to play in the 09 Masters (bogeyed the last 2 to lose in a playoff). At least he has won 4 majors on the senior tour.

Congrats to Justin! So proud of him. His mom was obviously proud, as well:sunglasses:

Kenny Perry came about as close as possible. Leading by 1 with 1 left in the 96 PGA, and leading by 2 with 2 to play in the 09 Masters (bogeyed the last 2 to lose in a playoff). At least he has won 4 majors on the senior tour.
Good guy. Wish he got one.

Reactions: ThePhoenix
I heard a radio interview with him today.
The host asked him which team he pulls for and
he replied "Louisville".

I'm no longer a fan...

I heard a radio interview with him today.
The host asked him which team he pulls for and
he replied "Louisville".

I'm no longer a fan...

I don't think he's a big fan of U of L. He's a big Bama fan, I know that. I don't even think he's in to basketball that much. Regardless, I wasn't even cheering for him but am cool with him winning. I was wanting GODZILLA (Hideki) to win the first ever for Japan. Would have been crazy.

I don't think he's a big fan of U of L. He's a big Bama fan, I know that. I don't even think he's in to basketball that much. Regardless, I wasn't even cheering for him but am cool with him winning. I was wanting GODZILLA (Hideki) to win the first ever for Japan. Would have been crazy.
The host said " you went to Alabama and you are from Ky, so who do you root for in basketball?" JT " Louisville"

The host said " you went to Alabama and you are from Ky, so who do you root for in basketball?" JT " Louisville"
JT grew up in Louisville. He's 24...
Pitino went to UL in 2001...
JT was 11...
I think we can forgive his indiscretion and celebrate that the next golf superstar hails from the Bluegrass State.

Reactions: Cardsstink
JT grew up in Louisville. He's 24...
Pitino went to UL in 2001...
JT was 11...
I think we can forgive his indiscretion and celebrate that the next golf superstar hails from the Bluegrass State.

Hell no. Rooting for UofL is an unforgivable sin. I could overlook him going to Bama but not rooting for the Cards. He should be rooting for Bama in hoops anyway.

I'll still root for the kid but not like I did before I saw he was a Tard.

Hell no. Rooting for UofL is an unforgivable sin. I could overlook him going to Bama but not rooting for the Cards. He should be rooting for Bama in hoops anyway.

I'll still root for the kid but not like I did before I saw he was a Tard.
I respect that. But (living in Tarhell/Dookie territory) if I adopted that position, I would be more lonely than the Maytag repairman.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Funny...my Mom was the Tee host at the 15th hole. She drove a cart carrying one of the players to the green (to speed up play). She fell in love with Justin and called me to say: "Justin will be the next Jack Nicklaus."

So, you're parents are members, too? The club has been in pretty good shape, this year. As far as the next Nicklaus, I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon just yet. There have been many "next Nicklaus' " over the years, and none have panned out yet. While there are several really good, young golfers out on tour, I'm afraid there is only one Jack Nicklaus. I was privileged to see him play, in person, in his prime, several times. Just the best of all time.

So, you're parents are members, too? The club has been in pretty good shape, this year. As far as the next Nicklaus, I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon just yet. There have been many "next Nicklaus' " over the years, and none have panned out yet. While there are several really good, young golfers out on tour, I'm afraid there is only one Jack Nicklaus. I was privileged to see him play, in person, in his prime, several times. Just the best of all time.
I'm 100% with you on Jack. I'm his age...and grew up near Columbus on a country club. So Jack was my guy when he played for the Buckeyes and won the US Am.

Walked Augusta with him several times (that's easy to do if you go to a Tuesday practice round...cheap scalper tickets everywhere on Washington Ave).

Dad is in Heaven and Mom is old old old. But my sis said she smiled Sunday when 'her boy' Justin lifted the Wanamaker!

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT