ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jon Jones at it again

Mark Schultz says hello, along with at least 5 other guys
I said "probably" to indicate that it is certainly debatable, but Cormier is a former Olympic Wrestling team captain, a bronze medalist, and a huge favorite to win gold until his health crashed while he was cutting weight. There are a half dozen or so guys you can make a solid case for but Cormier is certainly in that conversation. FWIW, Cain Velazquez is one of the top wrestlers out there right now and reportedly Cormier dominates him on the mat in training.

Virtually no ground game in his repertoire? Sherdog considers Jones the best wrestler in MMA with Cormier a close 2nd. Jones is a spectacular wrestler and unquestionably has the most brutal GNP ever with those elbows of his. Have to completely disagree with you on that.
Jones has the best wrestling defense in the game. Jones rarely ever actually "wrestles" his opponent to a defeat. His submission game is top notch, but Jon Jones is not a wrestler. Daniel Cormier is not even close to the beat in the history of the UFC as you claimed either. That is entirely based (even by sherdog) due to his wrestling background. He has not proven that during his tenure in the UFC.

Jones has the best wrestling defense in the game. Jones rarely ever actually "wrestles" his opponent to a defeat. His submission game is top notch, but Jon Jones is not a wrestler. Daniel Cormier is not even close to the beat in the history of the UFC as you claimed either. That is entirely based (even by sherdog) due to his wrestling background. He has not proven that during his tenure in the UFC.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The fact that you don't realize Jon Jones is a spectacular wrestler (he comes from a wrestling background which is the basis/backbone of his MMA skillset) tells me you simply are not a very knowledgeable fan of the sport. Sherdog calls him the best wrestler in all of MMA right now with Cormier a close 2nd: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/11/Sherdogs-Top-10-MMA-Wrestlers-85413

For you to also not consider Cormier in the discussion for the best wrestler to ever step into the UFC cage is also not an opinion that would be shared by any MMA publication just as your take on Jon Jones' wrestling ability would not.

So, you are welcome to your opinion but they are strikingly uninformed/novice level opinions at best.

Enjoy the show.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The fact that you don't realize Jon Jones is a spectacular wrestler (he comes from a wrestling background which is the basis/backbone of his MMA skillset) tells me you simply are not a very knowledgeable fan of the sport. Sherdog calls him the best wrestler in all of MMA right now with Cormier a close 2nd: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/11/Sherdogs-Top-10-MMA-Wrestlers-85413

For you to also not consider Cormier in the discussion for the best wrestler to ever step into the UFC cage is also not an opinion that would be shared by any MMA publication just as your take on Jon Jones' wrestling ability would not.

So, you are welcome to your opinion but they are strikingly uninformed/novice level opinions at best.

Enjoy the show.
Novice? I'm guessing your user name is more of a mind set for you regarding yourself. I've watched every Bones fight from his debut against Andre Gusmao to his DQ against Hamill to his dominating win against Matyushenko that let everyone know he was the real deal to now. If there's one cat I know in the UFC backward and forward it is Jon Jones. Yes he came from a wrestling background and won state titles and maybe saying he has no ground game was the wrong way to put it, but Jones does not "wrestle" his way to victory in most matches. I don't understand ranking someone as a top wrestler when they never wrestle. Jones is known 100 time over more for his unique striking ability and his takedown defense than his wrestling in the UFC.

I may not be an expert, but am far from a novice on the subject. You on the other hand, I believe, don't know as much as you put on and are the guy who runs to mma stat and ranking sites to find your information. Try watching the actual fights to learn what you're talking about junior.

Been watching MMA since UFC 1 when I had to go down to the local video store and rent them on VHS tape and waited excruciatingly for the next one to come out. Pride, too, when it came along later. I am not interested in a pissing match. You are entitled to your views but again, they are not generally the views of folks that watch MMA and cover it professionally.

To doubt Jon Jones' wrestling ability is something I have never heard someone do before. It would be like somebody claiming GSP couldn't wrestle. Cormier, because he came from Strikeforce, did not initially get near the credit he deserved but was and is easily one of the most decorated wrestlers ever to fight in the UFC. Cain Velasquez considers Cormier his wrestling coach and thus those two will not fight. Which is why Cormier is at 205 instead of HW.

If you have two people with completely differing views and one person's view is shared by virtually the entire MMA community while the other person's view is out of left field then that does say something. Doesn't mean the other person is not entitled to their view, but they do need to have more than "I watched him" to backup a startlingly unsupported opinion like that.

Enjoy the show.

best wrestler in the ufc, best "mma wrestler", ok, open for debate. best wrestler in ufc history, taking into account all non professional accomplishments, he just cracks the top 10

Last edited:
Where did I say I doubted Jones' wrestling ability? I said he beat Cormier without even having to use any major wrestling from his repertoire and then said he is more known for his striking and defense. Jones' can wrestle, but he doesn't...hasn't had to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT