ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is the thrill of riding a motorcycle worth the risk to you?

Never been on one and don’t intend to. A huge problem is that most auto drivers don’t see motorcycles as well as they see other autos. Paired with the complete lack of protection and I’ll pass.

Only client I ever had die on me was a motorcycle rider. Had a horrible accident, damn near died and spent months recovering. First night after getting doctor OK, got hit and killed. Did not learn his lesson.

What amazes me is the number of riders I see weaving in and out of traffic, riding on the shoulder and on the white line in heavy traffic between cars. Oblivious to the ridiculous risks they are taking.

Was never interested because all the older riders that I knew said that everyone who rides will lay down their bikes at some point (either to avoid a wreck or because of road hazards like sand). Its just a matter of time. No thanks to road rash or worse.

I had a street bike when I was young before I got married. I went down several times and could have been killed. I was lucky.

If anyone you care about is dependent on you, don't ride a motorcycle. It is selfish and stupid.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Hell no.

Shit, I couldn't keep a bike without a motor upright as a child. I'll stick with my four wheels and a roof.

I hate being near motorcycles as a driver of a car, especially the ones who take crazy risks when "shooting gaps" to make lane changes. I also don't have sympathy for people who ride them shirtless without helmets. Seems idiotic to me.

I try to avoid riding close to motorcycles at all costs because if they hit me, I need some auto body work. If I hit them, they need human body work.

More power to those who enjoy riding, but it's not for me.

Learned to ride a motorcycle before a bicycle. Little Honda Z50. Always had a dirt bike growing up. Got a street bike 6 weeks before my wife told me she was pregnant with our first child. Traded in a couple years later when our second was born.

I’d love to get another one now that I’m getting ready for the empty nest in a few weeks. So far no luck convincing the wife.

I can understand why folks don’t like them but if you like to ride there is just something awesome about being on two wheels and going down the road.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I heard on the news today Harley was going to market an electric motorcycle. Now I see total disaster with that unless they figure out how to make a lot of noise with an electric motor. The one thing that reduces accidents on a bike now is the noise. The noise has saved many a motorcycle from being blind sided by a motorist.

Learned to ride a motorcycle before a bicycle. Little Honda Z50. Always had a dirt bike growing up. Got a street bike 6 weeks before my wife told me she was pregnant with our first child. Traded in a couple years later when our second was born.

I’d love to get another one now that I’m getting ready for the empty nest in a few weeks. So far no luck convincing the wife.

I can understand why folks don’t like them but if you like to ride there is just something awesome about being on two wheels and going down the road.
Oh I totally agree, I think the rush of riding a bike is incredible, but not incredible enough for me to put my life on the line to experience it.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I bought my first motorcycle a Yamaha 250 in 1968. I had never ridden a motorcycle before in my life but always wanted one. The guy that sold it to me an older, wiser rider gave me one piece of advise - "assume you are invisible to every car on the road, and always have a backup plan". I've heeded that advise judiciously and 50 years later I'm still riding accident free (knock on wood) my current bike is a 2015 Harley Road King which I dearly love.

I agree with several members here that pointed out that statistically you are more likely to have a fatal accident on a motor cycle than a car. But actually the odds of a registered motorcyclist getting killed on his bike each year works out to .0005% chance. link

Last edited:
Forced hard breaking is the most dangerous thing you can do (excluding illegal/reckless riding); it's what usually leads to the decision to lay it down intentionally.

Amen brother. A state police officer told me recently that the biggest cause of motorcycle accidents (other than idiots in cars that run into us) is improper breaking. Jaming on the front brake in a panic will cause the bike to fishtail and can result in it going down. My Road King has ABS which was well worth the extra bucks IMO.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Anybody ever driven in California rush hour traffic? Motorcycles don't have to stay in their lane and can zip between cars. I had more than a few scares when a motorcycle whizzed past my window. Often a cyclist ends up in a shouting match with a driver as well.

I just JUST (10 minutes ago) had a deer jump into my convertible. He bounced out and nearly blasted my head.

Deer are fuggin everywhere and all need to be shot dead.

I want a motorcycle, but too much random shit on the roads to cause disaster.

Reactions: buckethead1978
I agree with several members here that pointed out that statistically you are more likely to have a fatal accident on a motor cycle than a car. But actually the odds of a registered motorcyclist getting killed on his bike each year works out to .0005% chance. link

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, D, but the chance is actually 0.05%. You didn't do the math right when you converted to a percentage.

Reactions: homeytheclown
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, D, but the chance is actually 0.05%. You didn't do the math right when you converted to a percentage.

I divided 4,630 motorcycle deaths by 8,500,000 registered motorcycles (from the linked article) and came up with .0005447 deaths/per registered motorcycle.

I divided 4,630 motorcycle deaths by 8,500,000 registered motorcycles (from the linked article) and came up with .0005447 deaths/per registered motorcycle.

Yes, which is the number. Now multiple by 100 to get the percentage.

Here's another example, if Josh Carrier made 1 out of 10 threes in big games, if you divide 1 by 10 you'll get 0.1. But he didn't shoot 0.1%, he shot 10%, which is 100 times higher than just going off the number.

Im 66 and have been riding bikes since I was 16, 50 years and if my health hold out I'll ride another 20 or so. Started out on dirt bikes, raced some motocross, was never a great racer, but liked it. Ive ridden all over the US and Canada. I've road a bike in every state but Rhode Island and Alaska. My wife rides her own bike to, she rode behind me for several years, been riding her own for about 15 years. Is there risks to riding a bike, sure, but it is manageable. Ive always been a bit of a thrill seeker I guess, but some of you guys just dont seem to be enjoying life to me.

Yeah, but you did it for a single year. Multiply it by 40 (as in riding for 40 years). The number goes to 2%. So you have a 1/50 shot of getting killed.

I'll ride a dirt bike on a trail or something but no way interested in riding any type of road bike.

I rode a Honda 929 erion racing edition for many years. I laid it down a couple of times with no real injuries. However, I had several near disasters that wouldn't have been my fault. I sold my bike a couple of years ago after I treated a couple of motorcycle riders who ended up paralyzed.

I will admit there's nothing like blasting down the open road. With that being said, I realized that it's a numbers game and at some point you'll be involved in a major accident of you ride long enough. For those of you still riding, be sure to wear a helmet.

My nephew died in a motorcycle accident 2 weeks ago. He hit a curve at night going too fast an drove off into a tree & barbed wire fence. Damn near decapitated him, died on the scene.
I used to ride myself but i'll never get back on one now.

That's absolutely horrible. Couldn't imagine what his parents are going through. So sorry.

Anybody ever driven in California rush hour traffic? Motorcycles don't have to stay in their lane and can zip between cars. I had more than a few scares when a motorcycle whizzed past my window. Often a cyclist ends up in a shouting match with a driver as well.

I used to do that on LA freeways. Makes me cringe to think about it now.

Just to be clear, are you saying the motorcycle riders are permitted by law to do this or they just do it anyway?

Just to be clear, are you saying the motorcycle riders are permitted by law to do this or they just do it anyway?

California will become the first state in the country to officially legalize motorcycle lane-splitting, although the practice has been allowed for decades.

Assembly Bill 51, signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown late Friday, for the first time legally defines lane-splitting, the practice of motorcyclists riding between lanes to move quickly through traffic.

The law, with specifics still to be hammered out by the California Highway Patrol, goes into effect Jan. 1.
Also called lane-sharing, the practice often sparks tension between motorcyclists who say driving between vehicles keeps them out of danger and helps lessen congestion, and some motorists who say it is reckless and burdens them to be on guard.

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/08/...-light-in-california-but-rules-still-unclear/

I have motorcycles since I was 16. Been across this country 4 times on a motorcycle, been in every state except New England states and HI and AK. Sold my last Goldwing 6 years ago, too many people texting and driving, not paying attention for me to get on the road on 2 wheels any more.

Guy I worked with lost his left foot and severe back injury because a woman was not paying attention and ran stop sign broad siding him.
Damn, I could have written this post. I started out on dirt bikes when I was 18 and moved onto street bikes in my late 20's. I, too, have been cross country and di did the "4 Corners" on a Goldwing. The only time I came close to having an accident was when a mountain goat darted across the road in front of me going by Mt Rushmore.

I sold the Goldwing about 8 years ago due to some heath issues I had at the time, plus the texters and druggies made me feel uncomfortable.

I've always been a thrill seeker, scuba diving, skydiving, married three times, etc. and I miss it, but will never own another one.

California will become the first state in the country to officially legalize motorcycle lane-splitting, although the practice has been allowed for decades.

Assembly Bill 51, signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown late Friday, for the first time legally defines lane-splitting, the practice of motorcyclists riding between lanes to move quickly through traffic.

The law, with specifics still to be hammered out by the California Highway Patrol, goes into effect Jan. 1.
Also called lane-sharing, the practice often sparks tension between motorcyclists who say driving between vehicles keeps them out of danger and helps lessen congestion, and some motorists who say it is reckless and burdens them to be on guard.

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/08/...-light-in-california-but-rules-still-unclear/
You should go any major city in Europe if you want to see lane splitting and half them are women riders. I've rode m/c's most of my life and was amazed how they ride in downtown Rome and London. Their attire is amazing too. Women that look like models (esp. Italy) in fancy dresses and 4" heels and men in suits and dress shoes riding mopeds down the street buzzing in between cars. At least, Italy requires helmets.

Yes. I guess I'm "that guy". I don't wear a helmet and I ride a hardtail bike with no front brakes. 22 years ago, I took a ditch at 120 and wouldn't be here now but at the time Ky had a helmet law. I didn't ride for 10 years but I missed it. It just like UK basketball or any other thing people become attached to, it's just part of you.

I will admit there's nothing like blasting down the open road.

I was waiting for this argument to pop up. Never owned but have ridden several times. Going for joy rides is fun. Though I could get just a much enjoyment if I had a fun car to drive.....a Jeep with the top down, a sporty convertible, etc.

I think for several of my friends who ride it’s the danger that’s part of the appeal. We’re all middle aged family guys who no longer jump off the cliffs at the rock quarry, drag race each other, or engage in Spring Break debauchery. It’s like it’s their way of getting away from the family and connecting back to their youth.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
The only time I came close to having an accident was when a mountain goat darted across the road in front of me going by Mt Rushmore.
In 1996 my buddy and I were at Bryces Canyon in the mountains of Utah, 10,500 feet elevation, and we had motel reservations at St. George Utah, but it got dark on us. That is all open range up there, no fences etc, So I told my buddy we need to get a room there, too dangerous, elk, bears,etc all running around,narrow, crooked road, so we bedded down there. We lost our room deposit, but worth it to be safe.
Mt. Rushmore was a disappointment for me. We pulled into a parking lot,and there it was, I got me camera out, took a picture and we ran on down to the Crazy Horse Memorial, which is amazing to see. I did love Deadwood, tho.

I had many close calls, had I not been paying attention and expecting it. Going into San Jose,and my buddy passed a car, and I said to myself, this car is gonna pull in front of me, I was even with his tail light when I saw the signal come on, so I braked hard and here he come, he then looked in his mirror and saw me, right on his bumper, and it scared him to death.

I was waiting for this argument to pop up. Never owned but have ridden several times. Going for joy rides is fun. Though I could get just a much enjoyment if I had a fun car to drive.....a Jeep with the top down, a sporty convertible, etc.

I think for several of my friends who ride it’s the danger that’s part of the appeal. We’re all middle aged family guys who no longer jump off the cliffs at the rock quarry, drag race each other, or engage in Spring Break debauchery. It’s like it’s their way of getting away from the family and connecting back to their youth.

I don't ride anymore. We are probably around the same age and the danger is what actually keeps me from riding now.

<- - - - Owned my Harley-Davidson Sportster going on 30 years. Same bike. Purchased new in 1988 and took delivery from Erich Kraft Harley-Davidson, Ludwigshafen, Germany. Rode with Bones MC a couple times back in the days. Carb went tits up years ago. I got heavily involved in life (grad school, computer crap, craft beer, yada yada) and neglected the scoot. My extended family (dad's second marriage) has been involved with the H-D brand since the 1950s. I've owned 4 motorcycles over the years, including 2 Harley-Davidson scoots. Wife is against me riding motorcycles again

My thoughts? One must realize their own limits on 2 wheels. Use the 10 second rule.

Back in 2009, two strokes affected my health, so I'm still heavy into the cycling scene, albeit at 10 MPH rather than 60+ MPH. Plan on restoring "Piglet", my Sportster, beginning this coming winter. Yeah, it's dangerous out there. Idiots are distracted more nowadays by their GD smartphones. You must pick your riding times more carefully in populated areas. Nevertheless, total freedom on 2 wheels. And those things still attract the chicks, even at my age.

My beater.

NTw0CK.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT