ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is the thrill of riding a motorcycle worth the risk to you?

kyjeff1

All-American
Sep 8, 2012
How do you feel about riding motorcycles?
Me, I don't think it's worth it.
I'm posting this now because yesterday at 2:30 one of my best field guys and his gf were killed up in Michigan because a van pulled out in front of them and he couldn't bail or stop. He was 28, she was 31.
I used to go RVing with a bunch of bikers and every time we would go on a trip, they had another story of someone who was killed or severely injured while riding.
4 years ago I had a 2 man crew out in Oklahoma driving down the interstate (80mph zone) and there was a dodge charger racing a crotch rocket. The guy on the bike lost control, he was going at least 150mph. He and the bike slammed into the back of my guys's truck and caved it in. Bent the frame horns. That guy was in pieces.
Even if you're the safest rider in the world it just doesn't matter. One mistake and you're gone. It's just not worth it to me.

I'm posting this now because yesterday at 2:30 one of my best field guys and his gf were killed up in Michigan because a van pulled out in front of them and he couldn't bail or stop. He was 28, she was 31.
I used to go RVing with a bunch of bikers and every time we would go on a trip, they had another story of someone who was killed or severely injured while riding.
4 years ago I had a 2 man crew out in Oklahoma driving down the interstate (80mph zone) and there was a dodge charger racing a crotch rocket. The guy on the bike lost control, he was going at least 150mph. He and the bike slammed into the back of my guys's truck and caved it in. Bent the frame horns. That guy was in pieces.
Even if you're the safest rider in the world it just doesn't matter. One mistake and you're gone. It's just not worth it to me.
I don't own a motorcycle and have never been on one. I have no clue on the stats of motorcycle/car safety so I am not gonna act like I do. But, it seems that if you drive a motorcycle responsibly and follow the driving laws like you should, I understand why people like to ride them. If you are going 150 driving a motorcycle or a car, I would assume if you crash, you are going to die either way. It's all about being responsible and not being a maniac driving 150 mph.

I don't own a motorcycle and have never been on one. I have no clue on the stats of motorcycle/car safety so I am not gonna act like I do. But, it seems that if you drive a motorcycle responsibly and follow the driving laws like you should, I understand why people like to ride them. If you are going 150 driving a motorcycle or a car, I would assume if you crash, you are going to die either way. It's all about being responsible and not being a maniac driving 150 mph.
But even if you ride responsibly, as my field worker was doing yesterday, you are still in danger everytime you ride amongst cars and trucks. One wrong move by anyone else, you are toast.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
But even if you ride responsibly, as my field worker was doing yesterday, you are still in danger everytime you ride amongst cars and trucks. One wrong move by anyone else, you are toast.
Agree, but you could say that about anything. Anytime you drive any car/motorcycle/RV, you are always putting yourself in danger because you can't predict what other drivers will do. I am sure the risk is higher as far as fatalities on riding a motorcycle compared to a car. Does the reward of riding outweigh the risk you may be putting yourself in if you crash? I guess it's all up to the rider.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
I have 2 friends that ride almost weekly, one of them is currently on his way to Sturges. I do not ride but they have ridden for years without incident.

I used to ride but shortly after my youngest daughter was born I laid one down, nothing too serious, messed up my ankle and some road rash, but the thing is, I was not riding unsafe. Not my fault but unavoidable.

Decided then and there that I could not ride anymore, could not add that additional risk to my not being there for my family.

I worked for 4 years as an auto claims adjuster. In my estimation about 80% of accidents involving a motorcycle were not the motorcycle riders fault and the motorcycle rider was operating the motorcycle safely and within the parameters of the law. Guess what? Many of those folks were still killed or seriously maimed and injured. It doesn’t matter how safe you are when you get on the road with the rest of us and you are unrestrained on the smallest vehicle on the highway you’re still taking a huge risk. Many people that ride motorcycles would look at a fiat and say “I would never use on the highway in that thing”, yet they voluntarily get on something that is multiple times less protective.

Agree, but you could say that about anything. Anytime you drive any car/motorcycle/RV, you are always putting yourself in danger because you can't predict what other drivers will do. I am sure the risk is higher as far as fatalities on riding a motorcycle compared to a car. Does the reward of riding outweigh the risk you may be putting yourself in if you crash? I guess it's all up to the rider.
Yup, it's definitely up to the rider. So many that I know are fully aware of the risk they are taking and are okay with it.
I'm just not okay with it.I love life too much to take thst kind of chance, It's one of many reasons why I drive an F350 crew cab with an 8' box. Yeah it's got aluminum skin, but it's still big, heavy and loaded with safety features.

Reactions: MWes11
July 4th-5th, my niece hit a M-cycle in Meade Cty and killed the 2 riders-husband and wife who had been married only a week. They turned in front of her car and she couldn't avoid the collision Tragedy..

Reactions: homeytheclown
No but I ride a bike in town (Not on narrow country roads) and jog all the time as well. I guess one difference is that I can't kill or maim myself on a bike or jogging ( always wear a helmet though)

I used to ride but shortly after my youngest daughter was born I laid one down, nothing too serious, messed up my ankle and some road rash, but the thing is, I was not riding unsafe. Not my fault but unavoidable.

Decided then and there that I could not ride anymore, could not add that additional risk to my not being there for my family.
One thing that crosses my mind alot is the many times I fell off my bike or simply ran into stuff when I was a kid. It's too easy to have a mishap when you're only on 2 wheels.

I worked for 4 years as an auto claims adjuster. In my estimation about 80% of accidents involving a motorcycle were not the motorcycle riders fault and the motorcycle rider was operating the motorcycle safely and within the parameters of the law. Guess what? Many of those folks were still killed or seriously maimed and injured. It doesn’t matter how safe you are when you get on the road with the rest of us and you are unrestrained on the smallest vehicle on the highway you’re still taking a huge risk. Many people that ride motorcycles would look at a fiat and say “I would never use on the highway in that thing”, yet they voluntarily get on something that is multiple times less protective.
THIS!

Yeah, I rode one for a while. Ended up selling it to help on a down payment on a house. Never bought another one. They are extremely dangerous. Had too many close calls, people pull right out in front of you, ride your a$$, etc. Someone slammed on their brakes in front of me one time and the road was wet. I had to break so hard, with the wet road, the back of the bike whipped around and I nearly face planted. After a while, I just felt it was stressing me out to ride(at least here in the city) because I was always nervous and hyper vigilant watching what drivers were going to do around me, and it just became unenjoyable for me. And just like a car, it's just a matter of time before you have a wreck. Difference being, what would amount to a little fender bender in a car, may seriously mess you up (or worse) on a bike.

The small size makes it more difficult to see and estimate its speed. They get lost in blind spots, like your windshield post, much easier. Gravel, oil, rain and other debris are a much greater risk for a motorcycle. The fatality rate is around 6 times higher than automobiles per crash, the safest place in a wreck is INSIDE a vehicle. The fatality rate per mile traveled is over 25 times higher when on a motor cycle. Sorry for the mini rant, when I left broadcasting I went to work for the state and ran a safety program for a while.

My nephew died in a motorcycle accident 2 weeks ago. He hit a curve at night going too fast an drove off into a tree & barbed wire fence. Damn near decapitated him, died on the scene.
I used to ride myself but i'll never get back on one now.

This. I ride and one of the biggest issues that makes it dangerous is the lack of understanding from non riders.

Most non riders will ask "do you get nervous when someone is behind you" because to them, that's when they get nervous thinking they are going to run over you if you fall. My answer is, "No, bc I'm not going to fall off or lay it down riding 55-80 on a relatively straight road. I get nervous when someone is driving ahead of me and is acting unpredictable bc 90% of drivers don't understand you can't just slam your breaks on and lock it up as easy and safely as in a car."

The only time I've ever scared myself a little is when reacting to a car that pulled in front of me and was forced to lock up my rear wheel while front breaking heavily; it got squirrely but stayed upright. Forced hard breaking is the most dangerous thing you can do (excluding illegal/reckless riding); it's what usually leads to the decision to lay it down intentionally. To the person in the car, they likely just thought they were going to squeeze in and cut someone off per usual not understanding the difference in how cars and bikes react.

But yeah, I've heavily considered giving up street bikes and going back to recreational dirt bikes on multiple occasions.

This is absolutely correct.

Also, for anyone who rides a motorcycle, GET PIP on it. And if you don't get PIP, please, for the love of God, make sure your rejection is filed with the Dept. of Insurance.

This. I ride and one of the biggest issues that makes it dangerous is the lack of understanding from non riders.

Most non riders will ask "do you get nervous when someone is behind you" because to them, that's when they get nervous thinking they are going to run over you if you fall. My answer is, "No, bc I'm not going to fall off or lay it down riding 55-80 on a relatively straight road. I get nervous when someone is driving ahead of me and is acting unpredictable bc 90% of drivers don't understand you can't just slam your breaks on and lock it up as easy and safely as in a car."

The only time I've ever scared myself a little is when reacting to a car that pulled in front of me and was forced to lock up my rear wheel while front breaking heavily; it got squirrely but stayed upright. Forced hard breaking is the most dangerous thing you can do (excluding illegal/reckless riding); it's what usually leads to the decision to lay it down intentionally. To the person in the car, they likely just thought they were going to squeeze in and cut someone off per usual not understanding the difference in how cars and bikes react.

But yeah, I've heavily considered giving up street bikes and going back to recreational dirt bikes on multiple occasions.
Admittedly, I become a lot more alert when a motorcycle is in front of me on any road. I don't want to react too late or not see the bike slow down and be the reason that guy or woman is killed. All it would take is a tap and that bike is going flying and whoever is on it is either dead or close to it.

I bet that rear wheel had a nice flatspot on it after you locked it up. Probably rattled your teeth pretty good for the rest of that ride.

Reactions: homeytheclown
No but I ride a bike in town (Not on narrow country roads) and jog all the time as well. I guess one difference is that I can't kill or maim myself on a bike or jogging ( always wear a helmet though)

Meant to add that my neighbor was paralyzed several years ago on a trip where he hit a patch of gravel on the highway and flipped over the front of the motorcyle breaking his back. Would not ride one if you paid my $500 per hour.

I owned 3 rockets in my early 20's. Wrecked once when riding on a country road and come up on some loose gravel in the middle of a curve. Wasn't hurt because I had my gear on. I was only going around 30-35mph. That was on my first bike shortly after I bought it. My last bike was stolen while I was working out of town. I took it as a sign and never rode again. Now I've had time to reflect I'll never own another one. Same goes for dirt bikes.

My neighbor's son was killed riding to school one evening on one. He was a very experienced and skilled rider. So much that he competed in several Motocross type of events. Teenager was performing an illegal Uturn and pulled right in front of him. He was going the speed limit but had no time to avoid the car.

Golfing buddy is an ER doctor and we have talked about this subject before and he said he rarely ever sees patients involved in motorcycle accidents because the majority are killed on scene. He sees more ATV related injuries. He uses the "Donorcycle" reference as well.

Used to ride dirt bikes back in the day but never had any interest in riding on roads. Wife is very laxed about what I do, but motorcycle riding is a deal breaker issue with her.

Had a motorcycle when I was in HS. Rode it everywhere. Would not get on one now.

There are two types of riders. Those that have wrecked, and those that will wreck. Odds of serious injury or death are just a tad too high for my liking. I much prefer to be strapped inside my SUV with four wheels on the road.

I don't ride anymore but my brother still does and he is nearing 70. He started when he was about 15. He lives in a rural part of the Florida panhandle and there is little traffic and the roads are wide and open.

I can certainly understand someone being afraid of riding in today's world.

July 4th-5th, my niece hit a M-cycle in Meade Cty and killed the 2 riders-husband and wife who had been married only a week. They turned in front of her car and she couldn't avoid the collision Tragedy..
It ain’t worth it IMO becuz u can be as safe as you like but it takes one idiot to kill u. Screw that

Reactions: kyjeff1
-Had one of our technicians killed on one about 3 years ago. An old man pulled out in front of him and another of our techs. One laid his bike down fast enough and the other got crunched.

-oldest daughter’s boyfriend was going to fast and a car pulled out in front of him. Dead.

I do not see the appeal at all

Riding wooded trails or through an open field on a dirt bike is a fantastic time. I was lucky to have one and have those experiences as a young lad.

Even with that, I have never had a desire to own a motorcycle or even drive one.

I have motorcycles since I was 16. Been across this country 4 times on a motorcycle, been in every state except New England states and HI and AK. Sold my last Goldwing 6 years ago, too many people texting and driving, not paying attention for me to get on the road on 2 wheels any more.

Guy I worked with lost his left foot and severe back injury because a woman was not paying attention and ran stop sign broad siding him.

Last edited:
Get on backroads with very little traffic and couple good friends and it’s a great way to spend the day. You’re going to lay your ride down - just are - so making sure to control your surroundings as best as possible is only way for me anymore.

As for the idiots who drive thru real traffic they take too many risks.

Meant to add that my neighbor was paralyzed several years ago on a trip where he hit a patch of gravel on the highway and flipped over the front of the motorcyle breaking his back. Would not ride one if you paid my $500 per hour.
The gravel brings up another good point about things people don't understand. Not that I expect non-riders to know automatically but spreading awareness is always good.

Leaving your cut grass all over the road or intentionally blowing it off your driveway and in the road reacts like ice to a motorcycle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT