ADVERTISEMENT

OT: how well will Shaka do at Texas

WeWant9

Senior
Dec 18, 2013
I saw an article about Shaka getting ready at Texas during this summer and got to thinking about what his realistic expectations should/could be. I've been a big fan of his, and those VCU teams were fun to watch during March.

Now that he is in a power 5 conference he won't be sneaking up on any teams. Will his recruiting translate well into the Big 12? Any chance he can dethrone KU from their decade of Big 12 championships? More importantly, will he still have success in March? There's seems to be some great talent coming out of TX, but will he be able to keep the big time recruits from leaving the state?

Thoughts from fellow BBN fans?

I think he will do well. He is an energetic young coach with good coaching abilities and strategies. Seems like he can recruit as well. I like him.

I hope he builds a team that will give Kansas some competition every year, they got the conference in a stranglehold, conference champs every year, WHAT:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: brianpoe
I think he's a pretty good coach with a fun system. Considering Texas's wealth of talent, I think he'll do very well.

I think Shaka is a good coach so I think he will do well at Texas. If he can recruit well which I think he will he may give Kansas fits. It may take him a few years to get the players that he wants. Hope he takes B12 titles away from Kansas so we can hear them cry.

I'm curious to see how he works out. I think he's a very good in-game coach. I don't think he is the chance to recruit in an elite level at vcu. At Texas we'll get to see how good that part of his job really is. If he starts snagging 5* players, I could see him on the short list for when and if Cal finally calls it quits.

Smart would have a top 5 class and off to the races if he could keep Bolden, Ferguson, De'Aaron Fox and Allen home. I'm hoping he does not.

Should be able to do really well. Texas has enough talent that if he can just get one of the top three players from that state each year and add some help around them he should stay in the top 25 and have a top ten team once every few years or so.

Be interesting if he stays with his style, seems some coaches think that if u r getting the top talent these kids dont want to press all the time....idk...has anyone else read about coaches at the top tier not pressing...at least not as a primary defense for entire game....i know huggins just atarted doing it last year and he was going against conventional strategy...thi k i read he studied kevin mackey system, who coached mid major cleveland state and mouse mcfaddin back in the day.

I expect him to do well. Class guy, fun style of basketball, and more talent than he had at VCU.

Unfortunately I dont see Shaka turning Texas into anything more than it is now a first weekend and out team with the occasional sweet sixteen run. This is all based on me not thinking he will be able to recruit the OAD out of Texas. Especially after Miles Turner somehow was a 6th man and yes I know that was Barnes but that decision still baffles me.

I like Shaka Smart as well. I think he should do pretty well in Texas. Definitely better than Barnes, that's without question.

Will be interesting to see how well he recruits the state and if he can keep most of the in-state talent.

It will be interesting to see if he is the next "it" coach or was he a flash in the pan. He has the stage and resources now. Get a couple keys wins against Kansas and top notch recruits and sky s the limit.

Not sure if he recruits as well as Barnes but his teams will be better coached and have more tournament success than Barnes did .

I think he'll do pretty well. He will have plenty of in state talent to recruit from which will help him to succeed.

I agree with most of the posters that he will do a great job with the longhorns.

Going to have to change the system, gimmick styles are not sustainable in big boy ball

Assuming you're talking about the defense, why would he change a system that has been very successful? This system is not a gimmick and has been around forever...basically the same as Pitino and Donovan, just with the catchy name 'Havoc'. And fans love it because it's exciting to watch and 'speeds up' the game (see the thousand threads at the beginning of each UK season asking if Cal will press more)...

ADVERTISEMENT