ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How is MLB going to keep a franchise in Miami?

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Saw some of the Reds games this past week in Miami. Could not have been 1500 fans at any game I saw. How in the world does MLB keep a franchise afloat there, or should they even try? Does anyone in Miami really care about baseball enough to keep a team there? I get that live attendance has fallen everywhere, but that stadium was empty save for family and girlfriends

Consistently bad ownership, and its contentment in being bad mixed into whats honestly an awful sports market to begin with, is just as recipe for disaster.

Think this is the 27th year for the Marlins, they have made the playoffs... twice, winning the Series each time. Yet that did little to establish a fanbase, primarily because it was so unsustainable and those big trophies became engulfed by 25 years of purposefully designed ineptitude.

Don't think MLB wants the black eye of moving / contracting a team so soon after getting that boondoggle of a stadium, so the franchise is probably anchored there to take their lumps. But if they were so dead set on having baseball in Florida (with no data to justify even maintaining 1 team much less two) then they should have moved either the Rays to Marlins to Orlando and the other out of the state to a market that has some chance for sustainable fandom.

Montreal, Portland, Vancouver, Charlotte...take your pick.

The Rays are never getting a new stadium, the Marlins / MLB should never have swindled the county and state for the one they have now simply to host as you said....scouts, family and girlfriends. :)

They had a staggering 6 thousand tonight which is total bs. You could hear echos in there

Jeter knew this going in...I am sure he has a game plan, and no one better to put it in action.

The Miami Marlins present an interesting situation for a team that has won 2 world series in a relatively short history.

It seems odd that, with such rich high school and college talent all around that area, and with a baseball crazy, Latin American population, that this team isn't more supported. I've heard of two possible reasons for this:

1. With such a large transplant population in south Florida, many people are fans of the teams from the cities/areas in which they moved from

2. A large portion of their would-be fan base is basically in revolt from the previous ownership, who sold off mega All-Stars and MVP talent such as Christian Yelich and Giancarlo Stanton among others. Can you image how good they "could have been" with all that talent still there? They fans are furious over this.

3. That hideous new stadium where they play and how the community basically got screwed in trying to come up with the funds to pay for that place.

The Miami Marlins present an interesting situation for a team that has won 2 world series in a relatively short history.

It seems odd that, with such rich high school and college talent all around that area, and with a baseball crazy, Latin American population, that this team isn't more supported. I've heard of two possible reasons for this:

1. With such a large transplant population in south Florida, many people are fans of the teams from the cities/areas in which they moved from

2. A large portion of their would-be fan base is basically in revolt from the previous ownership, who sold off mega All-Stars and MVP talent such as Christian Yelich and Giancarlo Stanton among others. Can you image how good they "could have been" with all that talent still there? They fans are furious over this.

3. That hideous new stadium where they play and how the community basically got screwed in trying to come up with the funds to pay for that place.

And a terrible W/L record.

Jeter’s plan apparently, is similar to how the Astros built their team a few years ago before they started to make their run. Obviously remains to be seen how successful that’s going to be. Maybe he should just take some notes from the Rays first.

The Stanton contract was f’d from the start. No way that was ever going to work out in the long run. Apparently they were actually going to try to keep Yelich and/or Realmuto and build around them but those guys didn’t want any part of a rebuild and wanted out.

As for the stadium itself, Marlins Park is unreal, you’d be hard pressed to find a nicer park. Not sure I would call it hideous really. Especially now that they took down that ridiculous home run sculpture/fountain. Now that was indeed hideous.

Orlando? :joy:

Neither team would do any better there.

If the Marlins finally get a good team together that can compete and keep it somewhat intact for more than just one f’n season and also maybe not change the uniforms/ team colors every other year I do believe fans will come out there, it’s happened before.

Last edited:
There must not be any baseball fans at all in Florida, Rays have an excellent team, first time in playoffs since 2013, but still had tons of empty seats last night, drew maybe 30,000 or so. Just pitiful for a playoff game.

Marlins scouts deserve some credit...their management was awful:

“WHAT IF of the day: What if the #Marlins didn’t make bad trades & still had: 1. Chris Paddack (for Fernando Rodney) 2. Luis Castillo (for Dan Straily) 3. Domingo German (for Martin Prado) 4. Anthony Desclafani (for Mat Latos) and had kept some combo of Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon & J.T. Realmuto WHAT IF.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article235337447.html#storylink=cpy

Play the games in the winter when it's not too hot & there are more people in town.

The Marlins franchise has won 2 World Series since the sorry ass Reds have done anything. It amazes me with that attendance how that was possible they won in 97 & 03. One would think Miami would be a free agent paradise for the good temperatures and city life for young athletes to soak up. Especially during winter time.

ADVERTISEMENT