ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Frank Martin on MJ vs. Lebron

There were two big rules changes at the end of Jordan's career that really differentiate the era Jordan played in from the era Lebron played in. The hand-checking rule and the defensive 3 second rule.

For most (or all) of MJ's career, defenders could use their hands to impede his progress. Defenses could also camp in the lane waiting to hammer Jordan (the Pistons loved doing that.) Lebron has never had to deal with either scenario. Lebron plays in an era where the rules make it easier for perimeter players to get an offensive advantage.

There were two big rules changes at the end of Jordan's career that really differentiate the era Jordan played in from the era Lebron played in. The hand-checking rule and the defensive 3 second rule.

For most (or all) of MJ's career, defenders could use their hands to impede his progress. Defenses could also camp in the lane waiting to hammer Jordan (the Pistons loved doing that.) Lebron has never had to deal with either scenario. Lebron plays in an era where the rules make it easier for perimeter players to get an offensive advantage.
I bet Jordan's career average goes up 10 points if it were that easy for him when he played.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I bet Jordan's career average goes up 10 points if it were that easy for him when he played.

Until you factor in that teams can play quasi zone's now. Jordan was better than Lebron, because of heart and desire, not talent.

And if you haven't paid attention Lebron gets hammered all game long with no calls. He definitely doesn't get the Jordan treatment.

Until you factor in that teams can play quasi zone's now. Jordan was better than Lebron, because of heart and desire, not talent.

And if you haven't paid attention Lebron gets hammered all game long with no calls. He definitely doesn't get the Jordan treatment.
Sooo....we agree??? Don't agree??? You tell me.

If you think Lebron is getting "hammered" then you must be too young to remember NBA basketball in the 80's and 90's.

The NBA in 80s and 90s was more physical in the lane and around the basket. I think LBJ would beable to play with his athleticism physical stature. LBJ is the greatest athlete to play the game.

Give me MJ and Kobe, to dominate a game down the stretch in a game. Both would demand the ball with the game on the line!!

I truly couldn’t imagine MJ or Kobe not getting back on defense during a game like LeBron does. MJ and Kobe, has the Alpha Dog mentally on both ends of the floor!!

LBJ is diffenley the greats Athlete to play the game he’s a absolute athletic beast! He not the G.O.A.T. Just my opinion ...

Jordan would find a way to beat Lebron one on one. I'll never be convinced otherwise. Also, I still do not think on court success can be debated between the two. Lebron is 3-5 in the finals. Enough said.

For those who watched both play every year of their life, I don't see how anyone could Question taking Lebron over Jordan. Lebron is the probably second or third best player I have ever seen and always will be. Jordan is always the best IMO. Kobe even has a better argument for Jordan to me.

Reactions: Bigjoecatfan56
For those who watched both play every year of their life, I don't see how anyone could Question taking Lebron over Jordan. Lebron is the probably second or third best player I have ever seen and always will be. Jordan is always the best IMO. Kobe even has a better argument for Jordan to me.
I agree.

If you think Lebron is getting "hammered" then you must be too young to remember NBA basketball in the 80's and 90's.

Nice try genius, and no the Pistons aren't around any more, but my point stands. Lebron does not get the superstar calls, with the exception of walks. The guy is mugged every time down the court.

What is Frank talking about saying that there are a bunch of 6-6 centers in todays game? I'd be willing to bet that the average NBA player is bigger and longer than the guys in the past. Plus, Jordan had to get by fuggin Jeff Hornacek in the nba finals. Not the most difficult of people guarding him

Reactions: kb22stang
What is Frank talking about saying that there are a bunch of 6-6 centers in todays game? I'd be willing to bet that the average NBA player is bigger and longer than the guys in the past. Plus, Jordan had to get by fuggin Jeff Hornacek in the nba finals. Not the most difficult of people guarding him

Can you imagine Hornacek guarding Lebron? It would be hysterical

Reactions: GParmesan

Or think about this: one of the best PFs in Jordan's days was Karl Malone 6'9" 250.

Lebron 6'8" 250

Love to see any defender in Jordan's era, not named Scottie Pippen, check Bron. No way they could stop him.

Reactions: GParmesan
What is rarely discussed is comparative competition. MJ played in the Eastern Conference's heyday and, in the playoffs, had to compete against the great and tough Celtics teams, the great and very tough Piston teams, the very good and very tough Knicks teams, the Magic with Shaq and Penny, the Pacers, the Cavaliers, and the Heat. He had to battle almost every round just to make it to the Finals before then having to face-off against the Lakers (Magic and Worthy), Trailblazers (Drexler and Porter), Suns (Barkley and Johnson), Sonics (Payton and Kemp), and the Jazz (Malone and Stockton). LJ, since joining up with Wade and Bosh, has had virtually zero competition in the E.C. and has almost waltzed into the Finals. He beat a great Warriors team 2 years ago (and I was thrilled for Cleveland) but also lost to a Mavericks team that he had no business losing to. There really is no comparison. MJ is the greatest of all-time because he combines amazing basketball abilities (both offensive and defensive genius) with a drive to win that is unrivaled. LJ is a great player as well, just not as good as MJ, and there is no slight in that.

Hornacek or not. The person guarding Jordan was not the one who stopped him..the other Players with help defense are the ones who tried to stop him.. and yes seeing Honacek guard him would be laughable because lebron would flop everytime he was hand checked..thats what really pushes jordan over the top, dont believe i ever seen him flop...cant say the same for Lebron.

Jordan couldn't win squat until Bird and Magic got old. Didn't win squat until Pippen came along. LeBron has never had that kind of help.
Kyrie Irving > Scottie Pippen.
Dwayne Wade > Scottie Pippen.
The rest of the Bulls of that era were just role players feeding off those two except, perhaps, Rodman. But MJ had three titles before he ever played with that guy.

The rest of the Bulls of that era were just role players feeding off those two except, perhaps, Rodman. But MJ had three titles before he ever played with that guy.
Pippen and Rodman are both HOFers. So silly to think both Kyrie (in his young days at Cleveland) and Wade were better than both of those guys in their primes.

Pippen and Rodman are both HOFers. So silly to think both Kyrie (in his young days at Cleveland) and Wade were better than both of those guys in their primes.
Kyrie and Wade will both be HOFers. And Kyrie was already an All-Star while LeBron was still playing in Miami. And like I said, Rodman wasn’t even around for MJ’s first three rings.

Kyrie and Wade will both be HOFers. And Kyrie was already an All-Star while LeBron was still playing in Miami. And like I said, Rodman wasn’t even around for MJ’s first three rings.
Hard to quantify which HOFer is better. But here are the facts. Jordan played with 2 other HOFers simultaneously in their primes. Lebron (if both Wade and Kyrie get in) only played with one at a time. Little different

Reactions: kb22stang

Before Lebron came back to Cleveland how good were the Cavs with Kyrie? After MJ left for baseball how good were the Bulls with Pippen?

Please. Pippen was on the original Dream Team. LeBron got the Cavaliers to the NBA Finals his 1st time spent with them. Without looking it up, name the other starters on that team.

After Bird, Magic, and Isaiah got older, then the Bulls started winning. Bird, Thomas, and Magic played each other at the peak of their HOF careers.

I’m a lifelong MJ guy. But, LBJ is clearly better at this point.

I never thought he would pass MJ but he has surpassed him now.

Hard to quantify which HOFer is better. But here are the facts. Jordan played with 2 other HOFers simultaneously in their primes. Lebron (if both Wade and Kyrie get in) only played with one at a time. Little different
We’ll see what happens but there are worse players than Chris Bosh HOF.

Before Lebron came back to Cleveland how good were the Cavs with Kyrie? After MJ left for baseball how good were the Bulls with Pippen?
The Cavs also added Kevin Love and JR Smith among others IIRC. LeBron wasn’t the only variable changing.

The Cavs also added Kevin Love and JR Smith among others IIRC. LeBron wasn’t the only variable changing.

Ease up, you're being too obvious. Yes, Lebron was variable that mattered. Stupid to say otherwise.

Lebron is more talented than Jordan, but Jordan's ticker was so much bigger he's still the GOAT.

While you’re theoretically correct, your entire point is invalidated by the fact that Jordan was by far the most protected player in the league at the time (& perhaps ever.)

Stars today still get favorable calls & the benefit of the doubt, but nothing like Jordan enjoyed. NBA officiating has improved dramatically since the bad old days (prior to Tim Donaghy).

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
At this point in his career LBJ has played about 3,000 more minutes than MJ did has shot about 500 more FTs in that time. So what does it say? IDK LBJ drives a lot and gets fouled a lot and those fouls get called.

Reactions: ObjectivelyModerate
Michael Jordan > Lebron James as a competitor/basketball player and Jordan was much tougher. Lebron James is the best athlete ever though..Jordan had a much bigger will to win though..it was incredible..that's why he's the G.O.A.T....I'd actually even take Kobe over Lebron..I know that's an unpopular thing to say..I just think Kobe is the closest thing we've gotten to Michael Jordan..they were very much alike..both were competitive as all hell, same badass fadaway jumpers..very similar athleticism..Jordan was just a little better in basically every category or at least most categories though.

Lebron could do a decent job of defending MJ, but how would MJ defend Lebron?

Lebron is one of the most criticized top 10 players anywhere. His every move is scrutinized and picked more than any other athlete while Jordan is a memory and we remember the positives more than the negatives. That's why you can't chase a ghost.

Lebron is one of the most criticized top 10 players anywhere. His every move is scrutinized and picked more than any other athlete while Jordan is a memory and we remember the positives more than the negatives. That's why you can't chase a ghost.
I think MJ could defend him.

Man, Jordan could score at will on Lebron..Jordan played with the flu IN UTAH vs. Stockton and Malone and scored 40 of Chicago's 90 points..and he played 45 minutes. Jordan was throwing up on the sidelines with a crazy ass temperature..he was having to make sure he wasn't getting dehydrated. If THAT didn't stop him or even slow him down, Lebron James big ass sure as hell ain't stopping him. Jordan could score and finish at the rim on anybody. The dude was dunking on Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley and Karl Malone and Alonzo Mourning and on and on.

Reactions: crawfords corner
I've recently decided this is an argument that has to be quantified. If you are talking about the best or goat and you mean overall most skilled/statically productive player of all time it has to be Lebron. If you mean the goat is the guy who is the most cut-throat winner and best mentalist to ever step on a basketball court and who I believe is the goat. That would be Michael Jefferey Jordan

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]..........

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]:100points:x

They just did a lot of analytics on this .

Jordan's peak is better than LeBron

Lebron's ability to sustain high performance is better than Jordan's .

LeBron will most likely pass Jordan in all career statistical category...however, Jordan's peak will always be higher than Lebron's .

They both have benefited from their era. Don't be so foolish and be so blinded and argue only one side. It's lame.

Reactions: crawfords corner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT