ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Dogs and Epilepsy

The single thing I wouldn’t do is use Valium everyday. Only as needed after a seizure. benzodiazepines not only cause seizures after discontinued use, but can kill you. I came off Xanax bars and Opana at the same time and almost died from a seizure.
What’s your doctors name again?

I've posted on here a few times here and there regarding our husky dog and how he's epileptic and has seizures. I'm just seeking advice that hopefully helps us in preventing him from having seizures. We love him dearly and my wife becomes a complete wreck every time he has one, and rightfully so.

He had his first seizure in December of 2016, the same month he turned one year old. Then, a couple weeks later, he started having cluster seizures on the eve of New Years Eve. We rushed him to the vet the next morning, where they put him on phenobarbital. The phenobarbital worked great and he didn't have another one for two or three months after that. He would only have one every couple months or so in 2017 and part of 2018.

From the second half of 2018 up until now he's been having them more frequently. He was having one or two a month, so we added another medicine called Keppra in October last year. So now we have him on the Phenobarbital and Keppra, along with Valium, which is strictly to avoid cluster seizures.

He's had four in one months time now. We're thinking about adding even one more medicine to help manage them, potassium bromide. Hopefully that'll work, I don't know. Again, any advice one could give would be beneficial and greatly appreciated. TIA.

Edit: I believe it was @Ocornett that offered advice to me a long time ago but can't remember what it was now.
I have an Australian Shepherd and she also has cluster seizures. She's been pretty well controlled on just Keppra, where she has only 1 or so a month now and they last for 30-60 seconds and she snaps back to it with a very short postictal period.

Unfortunately the breeds we have are fairly prone to epilepsy. The phenobarbital and potassium bromide can be pretty stressful on their bodies compared to keppra so we removed the phenobarbital from her regiment and she's been doing fairly well on it.

The other thing we've been looking at is CBD, a study just finished up showing reduction in seizures in dogs for 89% of test subjects. Finding the dose here is the hard part.

I wish you and your pup the best, it's been a rough go with our pup so I can definitely sympathize with you.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Has anyone used 1800petmeds to get their meds? Kroger had generic Keppra on back order(it finally came in) and I was tempted to try online. Anyone try them?

I have an Australian Shepherd and she also has cluster seizures. She's been pretty well controlled on just Keppra, where she has only 1 or so a month now and they last for 30-60 seconds and she snaps back to it with a very short postictal period.

Unfortunately the breeds we have are fairly prone to epilepsy. The phenobarbital and potassium bromide can be pretty stressful on their bodies compared to keppra so we removed the phenobarbital from her regiment and she's been doing fairly well on it.

The other thing we've been looking at is CBD, a study just finished up showing reduction in seizures in dogs for 89% of test subjects. Finding the dose here is the hard part.

I wish you and your pup the best, it's been a rough go with our pup so I can definitely sympathize with you.
Thank you, I appreciate it. Sounds like you're in the exact same boat as us, or pretty close to it. I wish you and yours the best as well.

Has anyone used 1800petmeds to get their meds? Kroger had generic Keppra on back order(it finally came in) and I was tempted to try online. Anyone try them?
I've used 'em all including Joes overseas. No problem with any of them except the delivery time got longer and longer with Joes. Negated the cost savings.

I love the Mods for allowing off-season threads like this to stay in RR. Interesting read and discussion among the community.

I have epilepsy, myself. Keppra seemed to only make things worse for me. I went to the Mayo Clinic and was switched to Depakote. In August I will be seizure-sober for 12 years. If that medication is available for dogs I would definitely look into it.

Also epileptic here, actually just had another one Monday morning. Keppra was what i was first prescribed when i started having seizures about 5ish years ago. The main effect of Keppra was that it made me a complete a$$hole and horrible to be around. I have switched to Depakote with much better results (at least to my personality). Still on Depakote with Aptiom added in earlier this year, and have to say I am very jealous of you Austin. 12 years is a heck of a stretch and still going! Strongly agree that if depakote is available look into that.

Reactions: Austin Wyatt
Also epileptic here, actually just had another one Monday morning. Keppra was what i was first prescribed when i started having seizures about 5ish years ago. The main effect of Keppra was that it made me a complete a$$hole and horrible to be around. I have switched to Depakote with much better results (at least to my personality). Still on Depakote with Aptiom added in earlier this year, and have to say I am very jealous of you Austin. 12 years is a heck of a stretch and still going! Strongly agree that if depakote is available look into that.

I have zero effects from Keppra except it makes me relax lol.

Was bummed to hear about someone else with a epileptic dog and then come to find so many of our posters also struggle with seizures... it’s brutal to watch any living thing have a seizure. I wish everyone well!

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
So the wife had a sit down with the vet the other day when we picked up potassium bromide. I reckon he told her that our dog would have a relatively short lifespan due to seizure activity. I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. I've read several stories about dogs with epilepsy having a perfectly normal lifespan.

Just here recently the seizures have picked up more than normal. He's having around three a month, which I don't believe is too terribly high. I try to stay positive and tell her that it's gonna all work out. She's been an absolute basket case of late. I hope things change and his seizures get further apart, or she's gonna drive me bat shit crazy. Thoughts?

So the wife had a sit down with the vet the other day when we picked up potassium bromide. I reckon he told her that our dog would have a relatively short lifespan due to seizure activity. I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. I've read several stories about dogs with epilepsy having a perfectly normal lifespan.

Just here recently the seizures have picked up more than normal. He's having around three a month, which I don't believe is too terribly high. I try to stay positive and tell her that it's gonna all work out. She's been an absolute basket case of late. I hope things change and his seizures get further apart, or she's gonna drive me bat shit crazy. Thoughts?
They definitely can live a normal life span with seizures, some of the medicines can have adverse affects on the kidneys or liver and shorten life spans that way but so long as the seizures don’t go status then they cause little harm to the animal.

They definitely can live a normal life span with seizures, some of the medicines can have adverse affects on the kidneys or liver and shorten life spans that way but so long as the seizures don’t go status then they cause little harm to the animal.
What do you mean by, "status"? He has to have bloodwork done three times a year to check organ function and all that, so we should be in the clear there.

I've posted on here a few times here and there regarding our husky dog and how he's epileptic and has seizures. I'm just seeking advice that hopefully helps us in preventing him from having seizures. We love him dearly and my wife becomes a complete wreck every time he has one, and rightfully so.

He had his first seizure in December of 2016, the same month he turned one year old. Then, a couple weeks later, he started having cluster seizures on the eve of New Years Eve. We rushed him to the vet the next morning, where they put him on phenobarbital. The phenobarbital worked great and he didn't have another one for two or three months after that. He would only have one every couple months or so in 2017 and part of 2018.

From the second half of 2018 up until now he's been having them more frequently. He was having one or two a month, so we added another medicine called Keppra in October last year. So now we have him on the Phenobarbital and Keppra, along with Valium, which is strictly to avoid cluster seizures.

He's had four in one months time now. We're thinking about adding even one more medicine to help manage them, potassium bromide. Hopefully that'll work, I don't know. Again, any advice one could give would be beneficial and greatly appreciated. TIA.

Edit: I believe it was @Ocornett that offered advice to me a long time ago but can't remember what it was now.
Good luck Cowtown. I'm big on Huskies and Malamute's. I had 2 Huskies and a malamute all at one time. They shed like crazy, but they were a trip.

Had a red and white female that I had to put down on her 17th birthday. Worst day of my life.

She had one seizure, but she was really old and had eaten something spicey that day. Who knows, maybe it's the food your giving yours?.?. It's a thought.

Sorry, that's a bummer about the seizure. I'm also on Lamictal. Have you ever given that a try?

What do you mean by, "status"? He has to have bloodwork done three times a year to check organ function and all that, so we should be in the clear there.
Status Epilepticus is when seizures continue from one to another without regaining consciousness. A bit different than cluster seizures because there is no recovery period. These will cause the creature to overheat and die if not treated promptly.

Status Epilepticus is when seizures continue from one to another without regaining consciousness. A bit different than cluster seizures because there is no recovery period. These will cause the creature to overheat and die if not treated promptly.
Yes. This is exactly what happened the other night. He went into one, then it stopped for a few seconds and then went right into another one. Can't remember if he went into a third one or not. I was busy trying to hold his head, to keep it from banging on the side of his crib. Just horrible.

Good luck Cowtown. I'm big on Huskies and Malamute's. I had 2 Huskies and a malamute all at one time. They shed like crazy, but they were a trip.

Had a red and white female that I had to put down on her 17th birthday. Worst day of my life.

She had one seizure, but she was really old and had eaten something spicey that day. Who knows, maybe it's the food your giving yours?.?. It's a thought.
I don't know. He's done really good on his food, as the seizures have only increased here recently.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don't know. He's done really good on his food, as the seizures have only increased here recently.
Have you been feeding him the same food since you've had him? Any table food? Spicey stuff?

I only read the first few posts in this thread, this thing is 5 pages long, so I'm sure all this has already been brought up.

Have you been feeding him the same food since you've had him? Any table food? Spicey stuff?

I only read the first few posts in this thread, this thing is 5 pages long, so I'm sure all this has already been brought up.
No we haven't fed him the same food his whole life. We fed him puppy chow when he was a pup, which is grain, and is a big no no with huskies. Of course we didn't know that then. We've fed him good, grain free ever since he was one. Been using Southern States for a long time now.

Last edited:
No we haven't fed him the same food his whole life. We fed him puppy chow when he was a pup, which is grain, and is a big no no with huskies. Of course we didn't know that then. We've fed him good, grain free ever since he was one. Been using Southern States for a long time now.
What’s weird is all the dogs I've had in my life have been fed table food almost daily and they all lived long lives. One lived to 20, another to 17.

Good luck with yours, I'm all out of ideas. Hate to hear about a SH, or any dog for that matter, having issues.

It turned you into a ul fan?

See, in the Keppra days I may have committed a violent act if i were to be insulted in such a way... #kepprage

Sorry, that's a bummer about the seizure. I'm also on Lamictal. Have you ever given that a try?
No, the neuro just told me they are going to up the Aptiom dosage. Going to ask about Lamictal on my next appt, thanks!.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Anyone know a good, trusted internet or regular pharmacy where we can get the phenobarbital and potassium bromide cheap? The vet charges a little over $50 for 60 phenobarbital and Wal Mart charges $32 for 60 of the potassium bromide. If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

We're getting 60 Keppra 500 for $16. I really don't foresee us finding them any cheaper, but am open to suggestions. Any info, again, would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Last edited:
CTC, are you in the 41129 area? Sure you have a good vet, but Gary Duncan at Martin Veterinary Clinic is amazing. He's been my go to for 14 years. I live 5+ hours away now but I bring my Lab to him when we need help. Just my two cents.

CTC, are you in the 41129 area? Sure you have a good vet, but Gary Duncan at Martin Veterinary Clinic is amazing. He's been my go to for 14 years. I live 5+ hours away now but I bring my Lab to him when we need help. Just my two cents.
I sure am. If I'm not mistaken, my neighbor suggested him to me a while back. The wife is researching now. We will look into it.

Actually, she just said she took her previous dog there and they were very good, if it's on Grandview. Thank you very much.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
I sure am. If I'm not mistaken, my neighbor suggested him to me a while back. The wife is researching now. We will look into it.

Actually, she just said she took her previous dog there and they were very good, if it's on Grandview. Thank you very much.

Brought my Lab from S Carolina for Gary to look at. You won't be sorry. Best wishes brother.

Last edited:
I figured I would bump this thread to give those interested an update. We, of course, added the potassium bromide to his meds and increased his Keppra dosage from two a day to three a day. It's been almost two months and he hasn't had a seizure since. This may be something some of y'all might wanna look into. I'm interested in hearing any and all suggestions and updates on y'all's beloved dogs. Yes, I said "y'all's". [laughing]

Last edited:
Glad to hear Cowtown!! My dog just had her first seizure in 3 months this morning. If you can keep them to a few a year you’re doing well. Mine would have several a day until we worked out the medicine and dosage. We’re planning to try some CBD since the recent studies showed a high percentage of dogs had reduced occurrences with it.

I suggested using the Phenobarbital. I use to hold my do when when he had a seizure and calling out his name. That seemed to bring him around faster.

I figured I would bump this thread to give those interested an update. We, of course, added the potassium bromide to his meds and increased his Keppra dosage from two a day to three a day. It's been almost two months and he hasn't had a seizure since. This may be something some of y'all might wanna look into. I'm interested in hearing any and all suggestions and updates on y'all's beloved dogs. Yes, I said "y'all's". [laughing]
Good.

Glad to hear Cowtown!! My dog just had her first seizure in 3 months this morning. If you can keep them to a few a year you’re doing well. Mine would have several a day until we worked out the medicine and dosage. We’re planning to try some CBD since the recent studies showed a high percentage of dogs had reduced occurrences with it.
You seem to be doing fine on your end. If we can get him down to one every 3-6 months or so, we'll be ecstatic. Of course, we're hoping for none at all, but realize that's probably not realistic. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: flacat22
My boy has been doing well (that we know of) on the Keppra 3x a day. We’re both teachers so we’re guessing he’s ok when we’re gone. Good for you Cowtown, my best to you and your dog.

My little guy Vin is like my son. He's a diabetic and has some other issues and about every other week something pops up like poor appetite or something. I have been researching the CBD oil and think I am going to try it for him. It lists a lot of benefits and I do believe in the FB support group page I read they listed it for seizures also. I figured it would be worth a try I'm just trying to figure which one now.

ADVERTISEMENT