ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Devin Booker at Kentucky

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I saw a stat today that Devin is tied with LeBron for most 30-plus point games in the NBA. And of course he had 46 last night. He's become one of the most explosive offensive basketball players in the world.

It's an oddity that he never broke the 20-point barrier at Kentucky, despite playing as many as 35 minutes. He had 19 in that fantastic blow-out of UCLA, which was also the game he played 35 minutes. He also had 19 in one other cupcake game.

He's the best example of guys maturing physically a bit later, and why the OAD rule can be so frustrating for college coaches and fans.

By the way, I don't think Cal could have or should have used him differently. He was just too young to make the kind of impact he was ready to make a couple years later. In fact, he was a liability on defense against Wisconsin and maybe should have played less, if anything.

Last edited:
He was inconsistent.

But that's what you get in college.

Not to mention he was one of the star on the team. Now he is the star on Suns.

I think Booker benefited from the platoon as much as anyone. He got to come in, do what he did best while surrounded by monster defenders, and then have his flaws masked while he grew and developed and matured.

It's easy to look back and say "wow they had Devin Booker he should have played more," but he was young for a freshman and not ready for 34 minutes a night. He obviously could have played it, but not as efficiently and effectively as he did.

There's a reason every one of our numbers was off the charts that year. We just ran into a great team and a bad whistle. Single elimination randomness.

You're right. Devin started first half of SEC blistering the nets. Cooled off significantly in the latter half. Tired legs on a frosh hurts the jump shot.

Reactions: KY Long Rifle
The story about Cal watching him work out once and Booker's dad telling Cal they were looking for a place that could get him to the NBA in 3 years and Cal telling him he'd be there next year is pretty incredible.

It's one thing to see John Wall and know that's a pro in 9 months. To recognize that in a slight-framed, above average athlete at 17 years old in one workout is tremendous.

I don't know why I have kept these numbers, but they just fascinate me for some reason. But from February on Booker was ice-cold. He shot 15/52 from Feb - until the end of the regular season so 28.8%. He shot 3/9 in the SEC tournament. Then shot 4/15 in the NCAA tournament for 26.6% from 3.

This was on the heels of being red-hot from 3 for 6 weeks. I think he shot in the mid 60% for 6 weeks prior to his prolonged slump.

I never thought the poor shooting made Booker a bad player. He was young and just got in a shooting slump. To some extent the platoon may have hurt him and kept him from getting out of the slump. As they say, shooters gotta shoot. He is in a great situation right now with a team that is not expected to win, but is willing to let their young stars work through their issues. Booker has taken full advantage of this and should be a star in the league once the Suns put together a decent roster.

Reactions: Saven
dont know if we would have gotten murray if booker had stayed but i do know ulis, murray, and booker would have been one sick ass perimeter. wouldnt be able to guard anyone but that team would score a ton of points.

The story about Cal watching him work out once and Booker's dad telling Cal they were looking for a place that could get him to the NBA in 3 years and Cal telling him he'd be there next year is pretty incredible.

It's one thing to see John Wall and know that's a pro in 9 months. To recognize that in a slight-framed, above average athlete at 17 years old in one workout is tremendous.

And makes this all the more weird that Duke has been able to recruit with Cal while selling none of these situations.

Hello Nike, we appreciate the push - K

If anyone on here says they thought Booker would be an NBA star -- I'll call you a liar!

What an unexpected success story.
to me he looked like a future nba starter but not a star, because of his lack of athleticism. he's just an elite scorer and finds ways to get his shot off consistently. didn't see that coming. didn't think he'd be a 20ppg kind of player. he's surprised a lot of folks for sure.

If anyone on here says they thought Booker would be an NBA star -- I'll call you a liar!

What an unexpected success story.

I knew he had potential to be a star. And he and Ulis should’ve been starting ahead of the twins. If they had started, we’d probably have won it all. Even Cal admitted he should’ve played Booker and Ulis more than the Harrisons. The next star UK will have will be Fox.

Booker, Murray and Monk all going cold in March will forever haunt me.

And I think that might be the value of guys like Baker and Herro. Experienced guys are less likely to go cold/be tired come tournament time. Look at the jump in Lamb's tournament numbers from 11 to 12. Having a great shooting sophomore will be nice.

Reactions: morgousky
The stupid ass platoon prevented us from seeing his full potential, as Murray and Monk showed us you need to play 2 halves if you're a shooter. With the platoon he basically either had to start off hot or he wasn't going to get there as he was only playing one half.

I'll tell you this.. If you draft Booker in fantasy, be prepared to win and lose weeks by his performance alone. One night he gets you 3 points, the next night you got 59. Craziness.

I imagine he irons that out in the next year or two. He's an absolute assassin for such a young age.

Philly fans sure were impressed last night! And the Sixers have J.J. Redick! Booker made him look ordinary. The Sixers announcers were incredulous at his performance. Bummed that I didn't go to this game.

One of the announcers said that if you did the 2015 draft again, Booker would be third behind Towns and Porzingis. Meaning the Sixers would have taken him instead of Okafor. He was a steal at 13. There are 10 other teams kicking themselves now for sure.

Booker said after the game that the Suns were mad they let one get away in Boston and were determined to win in Philly. I like that determination and fight, this Suns team is starting to make strides in this area. So many previous games they all seemed to just quit early and watch Booker.

It's why I've never liked depending on freshman shooters in March. I can deal with it in other positions, but freshman shooters typically won't cut it on the biggest stage.

Aaron Harrison must be as cold blooded as a serial killer.

Reactions: thebluestripes
Booker's legs were dead in March as it was. That's why his shooting percentage over his last dozen games or so was atrocious -- around 27 percent. And he was a liability on defense. Arguably, he should have played FEWER minutes in the NCAA tournament. He was ineffective against both Notre Dame and Wisconsin. Not sure making him the full-time starter and playing him 30-35 minutes every night would have changed that. He was just too young in his year at Kentucky to be more than he was, as I said in the OP.

I don't agree, I think if Booker played more in the beginning of the year he would have been in better shape, then again Murray and Monk shit the bed in march so what do I know. Either way Booker looks like one of the best scorers we've ever had and I really don't think we got to see much of it in his time here, which will always be a shame.

I don't agree, I think if Booker played more in the beginning of the year he would have been in better shape, then again Murray and Monk shit the bed in march so what do I know. Either way Booker looks like one of the best scorers we've ever had and I really don't think we got to see much of it in his time here, which will always be a shame.
Well, I respect your opinion. And there is simply no way to argue the point that something MIGHT have happened but didn't. All I can say is by every statistical measure - points scored per minute, assists, shooting percentage -- sophomore Aaron Harrison was the more effective player throughout March of 2015, including in the NCAA tournament. That confirms what my eyes told me then -- Devin, who was just barely past his 18th birthday and not overly robust at that age -- had hit a wall in March, and that would have been true had he been the starter from the first minute of the season.

Not to hijack my own thread, but everyone wants to look at 2-3 plays in the last few minutes of the Wisconsin game and eternally discredit the Harrisons. But they helped keep Kentucky in the game. And they were hugely important to winning the previous game against Notre Dame that easily could have been a shocking upset. I doubt Ulis and Booker as freshmen guards would have performed as well as the Harrisons against those experienced, tough Notre Dame guards.

Last edited:
It's why I've never liked depending on freshman shooters in March. I can deal with it in other positions, but freshman shooters typically won't cut it on the biggest stage.

Aaron Harrison must be as cold blooded as a serial killer.

elite 8 game vs UNC last year.

SR willis: 0-3 from 3FG, 6 points
FR monk: 3-6 from 3FG, 12 points

sweet 16 game vs UCLA
SR willis: 2-7 from 3FG, 8 points
FR monk: 4-9 3FG, 21 points

senior, 6/21, 28% from 3 in march. not cutting it on the big stage.

I was pi$$ed when Booker committed to us because I wanted Blackmon jr. Worked out ok though.

The best thing for Booker was getting an opportunity to grow as a player. He’s had no pressure in PHX. When Bledsoe went down, all the offense was him and everyone was fine with that win or lose.

sweet 16 game vs UCLA

Why are you comparing Willis to Monk? Willis isn't half of the player or shooter monk was.

Break down freshman 3 point percentages since Cal has been at UK using the NCAA tournament, namely the final four. That's what I'm getting at.

I think it's shaky to rely on freshman shooters in domes and final fours. There's plenty of sample size to look through without comparing guys like Monk and Willis during one elite 8 game.

Or do you believe age makes no difference in college basketball final fours when it comes to shooting long balls? That's absurd.

And I think that might be the value of guys like Baker and Herro. Experienced guys are less likely to go cold/be tired come tournament time. Look at the jump in Lamb's tournament numbers from 11 to 12. Having a great shooting sophomore will be nice.

exactly. Not to mention, by the time the final four rolls around, Lamb was essentially a basketball junior. Makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Why are you comparing Willis to Monk? Willis isn't half of the player or shooter monk was.

Break down freshman 3 point percentages since Cal has been at UK using the NCAA tournament, namely the final four. That's what I'm getting at.

I think it's shaky to rely on freshman shooters in domes and final fours. There's plenty of sample size to look through without comparing guys like Monk and Willis during one elite 8 game.

Or do you believe age makes no difference in college basketball final fours when it comes to shooting long balls? That's absurd.

i dont believe in hard and fast rules to fit a narrative. you really think it would be that hard to find sweet 16 and elite 8 teams with many upper classman that lose games where they shot the ball poorly?

i dont believe in hard and fast rules to fit a narrative. you really think it would be that hard to find sweet 16 and elite 8 teams with many upper classman that lose games where they shot the ball poorly?

Hard and fast rules to fit a narrative? I've been open, for years, that I don't like relying on freshman shooters in final fours / domes etc. And if you think that's not a logical position, you're so deep in the minority it would be tough to change your mind, so I wont try.

It's not about how many average teams have some guys who shoot the ball well or not well.. If they can't rebound, its wont matter. If they don't have any athleticism, they'll probably get clipped. I'm talking about teams like UK, who have it all but rely on freshman in shooting guard roles deep into NCAA tournaments, namely the final four. Sometimes it works, as in the case of Aaron Harrison, and it gave me some faith in young guys shooting from deep in those situations, but it didn't totally change my fear of it.

If you would rather have (majority of the time) freshman shooters taking important shots from deep in the final four over a solid 2nd or 3rd year player with experience and a record of hitting big shots, we wont find agreement.

Pretty sure Booker was the #28 guy in his class (Rivals? can't recall), and the guy right in front of or beyond was Shaquan Aaron. So remember that next time a Louisville fan - or any fan - says "that guy is so good he could have played for any coach and gotten where he is."

I'm wrong about player projections more than I'm right - but Booker is one I did get right. Loved him from the first minute, thought he'd be a good pro. Never thought he'd get 70+ in a game, have to confess that....

Booker was the one player I was wrong about. I thought he should've stayed another year, but leaving that year was the best choice he could make.

Booker, Bledsoe, and Orton were the ones I thought were crazy to leave early and each was very correct in their decision.

I saw a stat today that Devin is tied with LeBron for most 30-plus point games in the NBA. And of course he had 46 last night. He's become one of the most explosive offensive basketball players in the world.

It's an oddity that he never broke the 20-point barrier at Kentucky, despite playing as many as 35 minutes. He had 19 in that fantastic blow-out of UCLA, which was also the game he played 35 minutes. He also had 19 in one other cupcake game.

He's the best example of guys maturing physically a bit later, and why the OAD rule can be so frustrating for college coaches and fans.

By the way, I don't think Cal could have or should have used him differently. He was just too young to make the kind of impact he was ready to make a couple years later. In fact, he was a liability on defense against Wisconsin and maybe should have played less, if anything.
Then we should have zoned Wisconsin and let him play more along with Tyler. That would have enabled the twins to get more rest and they would have been fresh for the final minutes instead of dead tired! But that is hindsight which is most always 20/20 !

sweet 16 game vs UCLA

Rack for some truth in this thread.

Everyone saying Monk and even Murray ghosted in march is lunacy. They both shot the hall fine.

Ulis and Murray had anabetqge team with a huge hole in the middle.

Monk had to carry the offense early in the year so he was aggressive and put up some crazy performances. Once the team offense picked up and Fox found his grove we didn't need Monk to drop 30 a night. He shit well in the tournament and almost saved the UNC game despite corrupt officiating limiting his minutes (and all our starters other than Briscoes min)

ADVERTISEMENT