ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Deadspin Article on Zion

A reminder to everyone that even if he can’t make a damn jumper (he can), this is about to be the Season of Zion. Good lord, I can’t wait.
LMAO

Reactions: HICATFAN
I’m looking forward to watching him play honestly, seems like a new and improved Charles barkeley. Hopefully he loses to UK like Barkeley too.

I’m not sure if it’s wishful thinking or willful ignorance but the idea that Duke is going to implode that permeates on this board is probably not going to happen. Despite not having the best roster balance, that in itself doesn’t spell impending doom and nor does players that think they’re the best.

I’m not saying they will gel and be great but you would think they’d finish last in the ACC if you read this board. They will win a lot of games and be a threat in March, there’s more to base that opinion on (talent with hof coach) than not (3 sf and a video being arrogant).

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it’s wishful thinking or willful ignorance but the idea that Duke is going to implode that permeates on this board is probably not going to happen. Despite not having the best roster balance, that in itself doesn’t spell impending doom and nor does players that think they’re the best.

I’m not saying they will gel and be great but you would think they’d finish last in the ACC I’d you read this board. They will win a lot of games and be a threat in March, there’s more to base that opinion on (talent with hof coach) than not (3 sf and a video being arrogant).
They need to show me. It isn’t impossible for them to win it all next year, but they are going to have to play way different than they have in recent years. They’ll mostly have one shooter on the floor instead of four and they’ll be led by freshman instead of one or more seniors.

And if they aren’t able to play man to man defense, they won’t be much of a threat. That’s a team built for rebounding and transition. If they’re stuck playing zone, it will diminish their best attributes.

What if he adds 15?
Then I get the hell out of his way if he’s gets his head down and charges.

I hate duke but I’ll remaik objective in my opinions of their players and performances.

Zion is an effinn beast. Case closed. He can develop a shot later. But you take off from the free throw line... that’s top 10 in the draft no questions asked.

Who can guard him? Have to double him up down low every time.

Is he a rebounder? No clue
Block shots? Don’t know
Is he an absolute athletic freak. No doubt.
He develops an outside game, goodnight. That’s franchise player ceiling this kid potentially has.

Is he close to that, I have zero clue. I h a t e d u k e. But the kid is a stud.

He is also so damn cute

Reactions: BlueBomb
They need to show me. It isn’t impossible for them to win it all next year, but they are going to have to play way different than they have in recent years. They’ll mostly have one shooter on the floor instead of four and they’ll be led by freshman instead of one or more seniors.

And if they aren’t able to play man to man defense, they won’t be much of a threat. That’s a team built for rebounding and transition. If they’re stuck playing zone, it will diminish their best attributes.
It is so odd of X to “go against the grain”

Reactions: kartmd
Who knows what will happen. Zion could be a monster and lead Duke to another NC. Or could just be mediocre and moves on to the nba while the devils lose in sweet 16.

I just want #9. Still pissed at the Wisconsin game.

Duke won’t be as good as last year and will likely struggle early in the year, been saying that forever but I have no doubt Zion will have a Julius Randle type year. Those thinking he all of a sudden isn’t that good is just sour grapes like when KU ,Duke, UNC fans said Randle won’t be able to overpower people in college like he did in H.S. Their are certain players who are elite athletes and elite strength no matter what level they play on (Barkley,Larry Johnson) and Zion is another one.

He has flaws like every freshman (shooting) it it won’t stop him from having an impact because there isn’t another post player who combines what he does while being a good defender (not saying Zion is a good defender but no big in college is a good defender while also being a elite athlete and super strong)

Reactions: kartmd

I hate duke but I’ll remaik objective in my opinions of their players and performances.

Zion is an effinn beast. Case closed. He can develop a shot later. But you take off from the free throw line... that’s top 10 in the draft no questions asked.

Block shots? Don’t know
He develops an outside game, goodnight. That’s franchise player ceiling this kid potentially has.

Is he close to that, I have zero clue. I h a t e d u k e. But the kid is a stud.

He is also so damn cute
He is 6'6.

We played Jared Sullinger straight up with Josh Harrellson.

He won't be half the post player Sullinger was in College. Nobody HAS to double in the post a 6'6 freshman who's game is penetration oriented.

Duke won’t be as good as last year and will likely struggle early in the year, been saying that forever but I have no doubt Zion will have a Julius Randle type year. Those thinking he all of a sudden isn’t that good is just sour grapes like when KU ,Duke, UNC fans said Randle won’t be able to overpower people in college like he did in H.S. Their are certain players who are elite athletes and elite strength no matter what level they play on (Barkley,Larry Johnson) and Zion is another one.

He has flaws like every freshman (shooting) it it won’t stop him from having an impact because there isn’t another post player who combines what he does while being a good defender (not saying Zion is a good defender but no big in college is a good defender while also being a elite athlete and super strong)
Randle was 6'9 with a 7' wingspan so he had that in his favor when finishing in traffic as well.

You can point to Zions vertical as something to negate the extra height and wingspan but jumping in open space to dunk is one thing. Vertical becomes much less when in traffic and finessing a floater/baby hook/jump shot and the extra height/wingspan helps when amongst the trees and through contact. We saw this as recent as last year w Diallo.

Zion will be a solid/good college player but I don't think he will be as effective as JR unless it's via being untouchable and shooting tons of fts.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I’m looking forward to watching him play honestly, seems like a new and improved Charles barkeley. Hopefully he loses to UK like Barkeley too.

lol, Charles Barkley was HOF. I'm pretty sure Zion will get a great NBA first contract and end up dead 8 years later due to consumption not from Tuberculosis

He is 6'6.

We played Jared Sullinger straight up with Josh Harrellson.

He won't be half the post player Sullinger was in College. Nobody HAS to double in the post a 6'6 freshman who's game is penetration oriented.
Time will tell my friend. If you think anyone other than a 4 or 5 can guard Zion in the post alone.... I’d like to know who. He’s a beast

Duke will be zoned by most teams anyways but Zion has a hell of a ceiling. And if he was in Kentucky blue and that video came out, most here would be adjusting their shorts.

But he is cute

Time will tell my friend. If you think anyone other than a 4 or 5 can guard Zion in the post alone.... I’d like to know who. He’s a beast

Duke will be zoned by most teams anyways but Zion has a hell of a ceiling. And if he was in Kentucky blue and that video came out, most here would be adjusting their shorts.

But he is cute
And he will be guarded by 4s and 5s if he is in the post.

He also has shown zero ability operating back to the basket with established post moves. His game is based around face up and attacking. A reliable post game isn't learned over night and K isn't the type to push players out of their comfort zone and develop that.

If he is being defended by a 2 or 3 then it'll be defended as any other attacking forward is.

Jumping in open space to dunk is one thing. Your vertical is significantly less when in a crowd, playing through contact, and/or elevating for a finesse finish as in a floater/jumpshot/babyhook. Diallo had a 40" vertical. Very rarely did you see it on display unless it was a break away dunk.

He will be a solid player and he will have some highlight dunks on the break but he isn't going to produce to the level of his YouTube hype.

Zion might be a freak athlete with incredible musculature in his legs, but he’s got the same old knee construction as anybody, and 290 lbs jumping 42 inches on those knees just doesn’t compute.

Can’t help but think his career is going to be dogged by injuries if he doesn’t figure out some way to slim down - instead, he just keeps getting bigger.

Reactions: Hoskins21 and JC43

I’m not saying they will gel and be great but you would think they’d finish last in the ACC I’d you read this board. They will win a lot of games and be a threat in March, there’s more to base that opinion on (talent with hof coach) than not (3 sf and a video being arrogant).
Every year for probably the last 10 years someone says something very similar in defending Gonzaga. And every year, nada.

Going to enjoy watching Duke look pedestrian and K feign another back problem around late January.

Every year for probably the last 10 years someone says something very similar in defending Gonzaga. And every year, nada.

Going to enjoy watching Duke look pedestrian and K feign another back problem around late January.
Duke has won titles and Gonzaga has not. How you came to the conclusion that predictions for Gonzaga is proof Duke will fail is a medical mystery.

But he is cute
Look duke fan. We are gonna forcefully penetrate you guys in November. No way around it

Sir Charles? Really? Call Charles whatever you want but that man was a baller's baller. Let Zion at least play a college game before anointing him as some sort of nba hall of famer... he can't carry Charles' strap OR Charles' plate... The Round Mound is safely ensconced in history....for now.

Block shots? Don’t know

He is also so damn cute

I am not being smart in this response but I don't think Reid needs assistance from anyone guarding anyone. Not sure PJ does either. Zion may get his points, but, he will earn them.

No need to double team him if you are Kentucky, this season. No need for a double team at all...

Last edited:
Giving up 62% shooting from inside the arc in Bahamas is one way around it.

Keep holding onto that thought. It may allow you to suffer through....the season.

I do confess though, Cal has no history with drastically improving the teams defense to at least a top three defense...[eyeroll]

Reactions: Cat in ga
I just want #9. Still pissed at the Wisconsin game.

I'm not over it yet either. My wife gave me a dvd of that season for Christmas and I've yet to take it out of its cellophane wrapping.

I assured her that I love the gift and will keep it forever but I might be a very old man before I'm able to relive that season

Reactions: MethodUK and BBUK

Duke has gotten past the Sweet 16 four times in the last 14 years (two titles and two E8s), so betting on them underachieving isn’t as far out there as the media and some insecure UK fans would siggest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT