ADVERTISEMENT

ot: Celtics have general electric path on front of jerseys

PhattyJ4UK

All-American
Nov 7, 2008
Expect to see more of this. Don't really like it as I think they would sell ad space on players foreheads if they could but more is coming.

celtics-1.jpg
Reminds me of the international team unis. Some are covered in ads. Not a good look in my opinion.

Overdoing it is a few years away. Baby steps.

Kills some of the tradition and mystique about the organizations. Definitely not a fan and yes I know exactly where it’s going.

The Wendy’s Warriors.

The Home Depot Hornets.

The Kroger and Partners Kentucky Wildcats.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
Kills some of the tradition and mystique about the organizations. Definitely not a fan and yes I know exactly where it’s going.

The Wendy’s Warriors.

The Home Depot Hornets.

Kills tradition? Most of the early professional teams were underwritten by companies and used their trade names & industries for nicknames (the Akron Firestone Non-Skids for example).

If anything corporate sponsorship of individual teams is a return to a very old tradition in sports.

Kills tradition? Most of the early professional teams were underwritten by companies and used their trade names & industries for nicknames (the Akron Firestone Non-Skids for example).

If anything corporate sponsorship of individual teams is a return to a very old tradition in sports.

Tradition isn't something from the past.I see your point, though.

Good catch to the good year, which admittedly doesn't look terrible. But that's in part to the logo, which unless people are familiar with the brand wouldn't even know what it is.

If they keep it as a small patch, it's not a big deal to me..but I just know the greed involved will lead to soccer type sponsors.

Tradition isn't something from the past.I see your point, though.

Good catch to the good year, which admittedly doesn't look terrible. But that's in part to the logo, which unless people are familiar with the brand wouldn't even know what it is.

If they keep it as a small patch, it's not a big deal to me..but I just know the greed involved will lead to soccer type sponsors.

You see them everywhere, and clearly they're noticeable (although not unappealing to the eye), as we have a thread on it and it's completely unapplicable to anything involving UK.

It's getting the message out there just fine.

Reactions: Blueaz

The Wendy’s Warriors.

The Home Depot Hornets.

You think a company is going to actually buy a sports team and name it after the company instead of just advertising on the jersey?

I wouldn't be opposed to a single company sponsoring a jersey and putting a logo on it. That Celtics jersey above isn't terrible. But when you start making jerseys look like Soccer jerseys or Nascar gear (two things we should never ever ever emulate) the jerseys look awful.

Well the Kroger and partner Kentucky Wildcats here we come!

You think a company is going to actually buy a sports team and name it after the company instead of just advertising on the jersey?

Whew, that would be so terrible.

Could it lead there? 2100? Wouldn’t doubt anything really.

Whew, that would be so terrible.

Could it lead there? 2100? Wouldn’t doubt anything really.

I think a slippery slope argument with no evidence is a pretty terrible reason not to do something logical and that doesn't harm anything.

It hasn't happened in the major sports around the world and they've been using jersey ads for a long time. Besides the logistical nightmare of a team being owned by a company somehow, it's a poor investment.

Teams are going for outrageous sums. Finding 30 companies to buy a team and shell out hundreds of millions for simple advertising purposes is insane when you can just slap a logo on the jersey.

I think a slippery slope argument with no evidence is a pretty terrible reason not to do something logical and that doesn't harm anything.

It hasn't happened in the major sports around the world and they've been using jersey ads for a long time. Besides the logistical nightmare of a team being owned by a company somehow, it's a poor investment.

Teams are going for outrageous sums. Finding 30 companies to buy a team and shell out hundreds of millions for simple advertising purposes is insane when you can just slap a logo on the jersey.

modern humans live on a slippery slope. The evidence is the past, it’s been going on for a long time. Usually disguised as being “progressive”. One thing to the next, to the next, to the next. I don’t think it’s totally out of the realm of possibility that it could happen again.

Regardless of my toungue and cheek comment, this is just the beginning. They’ll have multiple sponsors all over the jersey just give it time. I think a poll on this would show the majority of fans would rather not.

If the teams and owners can make a good profit, I know that’s all that matters. I just wish at some point they’d settle and leave some things be.

Last edited:

Ever hear of the New York Rens? Or the Phillips 66 Oilers?

Again it's been awhile but there's precedent in companies doing just that.

I think the issue now preventing it is not that the concept is so foreign, but that companies change their name & location so often (and the teams themselves move) that it's a risk to stake your company's name & reputation on something that may change in the future. (Or if the team is terrible). Far less of a risk just to sponsor the team without buying them outright.

Ever hear of the New York Rens? Or the Phillips 66 Oilers?

Again it's been awhile but there's precedent in companies doing just that.

I think the issue now preventing it is not that the concept is so foreign, but that companies change their name & location so often (and the teams themselves move) that it's a risk to stake your company's name & reputation on something that may change in the future. (Or if the team is terrible). Far less of a risk just to sponsor the team without buying them outright.

Right, but that existed in an entirely different economic climate with regard to sports. The investment of actually buying a team is insane, especially with minimal benefit in return. To buy a franchise for hundreds of millions as an advertising method would be criminally stupid financially.

Like i said, it hasn't happened in any of the places I'm aware of around the world where this currently happens. It happened in the past, but it's no longer a feasible idea, which is why it doesn't happen now and wont happen here.

modern humans live on a slippery slope. The evidence is the past, it’s been going on for a long time. Usually disguised as being “progressive”. One thing to the next, to the next, to the next. I don’t think it’s totally out of the realm of possibility that it could happen again.

Regardless of my toungue and cheek comment, this is just the beginning. They’ll have multiple sponsors all over the jersey just give it time. I think a poll on this would show the majority of fans would rather not.

If the teams and owners can make a good profit, I know that’s all that matters. I just wish at some point they’d settle and leave some things be.

I just don't see it getting to the point that companies own the teams just for naming rights. There are clearly going to be logos on the jerseys, but there have already been logos on the jerseys for years (Nike, adidas, etc) and those became invisible to us pretty quickly.

One or two more as patches like the GE that Boston has aren't really ugly or all that eyecatching. I also think teams will consider that jersey sales are part of their revenue and won't go too far in making the jersey "ugly."

Besides, it's not like you really "see" it while watching the game. It's just in team pictures and things like that.

Well I don't watch basketball for the jerseys and I don't buy jerseys since I am a 33-year-old man so I don't really care. However, the way the NBA is doing the jersey logo patches is very tasteful.

They don't look bad now, but the path this is going down may not end up with pretty unis. But I don't watch the NBA, so I really couldn't care less

ADVERTISEMENT