ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody see this? Field goal is blocked, kicker makes it on 2nd try.

Yeah it counted. I've seen some debate over whether that was the right call but I think it was. A blocked kick is a live ball and it's legal to attempt a place kick on the bounce (even though it's almost never done anymore.)

Reactions: GhostVol
I think you can drop kick anywhere anytime. That rebound off the ground effectively creates a dk imo.

Oh yes, insane.

Reactions: kritikalcat
They claim it's illegal because of this:

"A ball that is not in a player’s possession is a loose ball: in-flight forward passes, fumbles, kicks, and backward passes are all loose balls."

But that ball was none of these. It was a blocked kick.

Reactions: kritikalcat
Should not count by rule,that is an illegal kick. Now if the holder had held it, or the kicker had picked it up and then dropped kicked it, it should count.

Reactions: jauk11
On second thought the holder cant recover it without it being dead if his knees are on the ground. Only a drop kick is legal there.

This should be an illegal kick, as the ball is live and not in possession of the kicking team at the time of the kick.

I believe the signal is the same as illegal touching with both hands being placed on each shoulder...

Dave

This should be an illegal kick, as the ball is live and not in possession of the kicking team at the time of the kick.

I believe the signal is the same as illegal touching with both hands being placed on each shoulder...

Dave

It's still the kicking teams possession until the defending team takes over possession. Like a fumble out of bounds. The team that fumbles gets the balk back if defense doesn't gain possession. Kicking team technically still had possession so it's a good kick.

The most similar thing I've seen to this is when a quarterback attempted a pass but the ball was batted back to him and he attempted to throw again, it was ruled an illegal forward pass. Not really sure how it applies to kicking tough.

It's still the kicking teams possession until the defending team takes over possession. Like a fumble out of bounds. The team that fumbles gets the balk back if defense doesn't gain possession. Kicking team technically still had possession so it's a good kick.

Interesting take, and since the ball was behind the line of scrimmage then the kick attempt is good regardless if the player actually held the ball in his possession before dropping it to the ground to kick it....I can go with that.

Dave

ADVERTISEMENT