ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Abby Steiner is insane!

Maybe Cal should get some recruiting tips from the women’s track coach. First Sydney McLaughlin and now Abby Steiner …these are truly world class runners we’re landing.
Cal has recruited and signed plenty of athletes. Cal hasn’t landed a ton of basketball players lately. I’m really hoping Livingston is not one of those ‘only athletes.’ We’ll need all 10 of our scholarship players to produce.

That was fantastic. I don't think I've ever seen a deficit like that turn into a positive so quickly.

I would love to hear the strategy that was used in that race. It has been a LONG time for me since I was involved in track and field but the matchups were interesting, to say the least. The first girl pretty much did what she needed to do by at least keeping it close. The second girl gave up a lot of ground, especially late. Then, Abby was used as the 3rd leg and just overpowered the field. As I recall, wouldn't the 3rd leg traditionally be the weakest leg of the race? I have to say that UK's strategy definitely paid off putting the weakest runner in the 2nd leg. Any thoughts?

BTW, I am not being critical in any way. Congrats to the TEAM!

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
Making up that much ground in one leg of the race was spectacular. Superhuman effort there, incredible.

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Earlier this year, she did something similar over a shorter distance, basically overcoming her own comparatively slow start to crush the field. This is the first Steiner video to blow my mind.

Great stuff! I don’t think some realize just how good she is. She has the opportunity to be one of the biggest stories at the 2024 Olympics.

She has endorsement gold written all over her too.

I would love to hear the strategy that was used in that race. It has been a LONG time for me since I was involved in track and field but the matchups were interesting, to say the least. The first girl pretty much did what she needed to do by at least keeping it close. The second girl gave up a lot of ground, especially late. Then, Abby was used as the 3rd leg and just overpowered the field. As I recall, wouldn't the 3rd leg traditionally be the weakest leg of the race? I have to say that UK's strategy definitely paid off putting the weakest runner in the 2nd leg. Any thoughts?

BTW, I am not being critical in any way. Congrats to the TEAM!
Maybe Abby having to chase down the leader pushes her harder than if she starts out in or near the lead.

Reactions: UK90
Abby is the greatest! Came from way back to grab that lead. Fun to watch that talent and determination! Proud of that group

Reactions: uky8unc5
It's amazing that UK has such a strong track programs. It's like for 20 years UK having one of the world's best vocal programs. "UK and opera?!"

Last edited:
Earlier this year, she did something similar over a shorter distance, basically overcoming her own comparatively slow start to crush the field. This is the first Steiner video to blow my mind.

That reminds me of the amazing horse Buckpasser. Check out his stretch run in the 1966 Flamingo Stakes. (Don't worry that you've probably never heard of Buckpasser.)

That reminds me of the amazing horse Buckpasser. Check out his stretch run in the 1966 Flamingo Stakes. (Don't worry that you've probably never heard of Buckpasser.)
Reminds me of Secretariat. Big Red enjoyed his nonchalant starts, then dropped the hammer. Abbys kick reminded me very much of his Preakness race.

Dang it, now I have to post his race again. Sorry, its a compulsion.
Buck Passer

Secretariat Preakness

Abby is in very special company.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT