ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar's defense

CatsnRoses

Senior
May 13, 2007
Obviously everyone has seen the pick and roll coverage stuff with Oscar and how much he struggles with that action but has anyone else noticed he'll often leave his man with the ball a split second too soon because he's more concerned with chasing rebounds than contesting the shot? Not sure if it has gotten more egregious recently or if I'm just starting to notice it more.

He's let the notoriety from last season and the pre-season get to him a bit. He doesn't seem to be putting forth as much effort as he did last season. Still obviously putting up good numbers, but he could be a good bit higher if the effort was consistent. He just seems to give up on defense often.

I think Cal has also gone too far in scaring Oscar about foul trouble. It’s true that he’s indispensable and we can’t have him fouling out, but there are now a half dozen layups in every game that Oscar is in a perfect position to defend but he doesn’t even try to contest. Hands stay at the hips and he just watches it happen. Sometimes it’s so bad that it looks like he’s playing for the other team and sealing off the lane while the ballhandler goes in to score.

There is a middle ground between high-risk and no-risk defense that Oscar needs to discover.

He's let the notoriety from last season and the pre-season get to him a bit. He doesn't seem to be putting forth as much effort as he did last season. Still obviously putting up good numbers, but he could be a good bit higher if the effort was consistent. He just seems to give up on defense often.
I think alot of it is Cal not wanting him to get into foul trouble by playing super tight and contesting every thing.
Its paying off too as Oscar has been scoring in double digits in 10 of his last 12 games.

I think Cal has also gone too far in scaring Oscar about foul trouble. It’s true that he’s indispensable and we can’t have him fouling out, but there are now a half dozen layups in every game that Oscar is in a perfect position to defend but he doesn’t even try to contest. Hands stay at the hips and he just watches it happen. Sometimes it’s so bad that it looks like he’s playing for the other team and sealing off the lane while the ballhandler goes in to score.

There is a middle ground between high-risk and no-risk defense that Oscar needs to discover.
And Cal needs to help him find it. My Grandparent’s lived off a street in Valley Station Ky called Middleground (1950 Derby winner) thats where its at for O and his D.

Last edited:
Obviously everyone has seen the pick and roll coverage stuff with Oscar and how much he struggles with that action but has anyone else noticed he'll often leave his man with the ball a split second too soon because he's more concerned with chasing rebounds than contesting the shot? Not sure if it has gotten more egregious recently or if I'm just starting to notice it more.
Yes I said this on a game thread a few games back. Especially on 3 pointers. He will barely get his hand up and runs toward basket.

Reactions: CatsnRoses
90% of it is Oscar being scared of getting in foul trouble.

In a few recent games, Oscar has picked up 2 dumb fouls for hand checking or falling for a shot fake, and then he a) sits the rest of the first half and b) fakes defensive presence without really guarding, usually leading to multiple layups.

Between him and Wheeler on defense, it's surprising that teams don't shoot a better %.

He also plays dead behind his man all the time allowing his man to catch the ball anywhere he wants which is not how most are coached to play defense.

Our entire team struggles with the pick and roll. Oscar takes the blame because it’s usually his initial man that ends up with the ball but it’s not solely his fault. He does a better job defending it with Wallace than any other guard. Mostly because Wallace recovers faster, fights through the action, or tries to put a body in the roll man to help Oscar recover. Wheeler makes the correct reads a lot of times, he’s just too small and easy to pass or drive around.

Watch him against Bacot 14 months ago. He used to know how to play. Not sure what happened, other than he hasn’t repeated a super human season.

Another thing, all of CCC’s teams here have struggled with pick and roll defense. It’s just that some of them had guys who could erase the breakdowns at the rim. But that’s been a while ago.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Yes!!! But it won’t happen because our coach doesn’t have the ability to teach it. Or he’s just too lazy. It’s one of the other.
Oscar has been ‘taught ‘ defense at every level he’s played …Bob Huggins included taught him . He’s also taught to score , rebound , enter and exit games . He’s likely watched 100 hours of pick and roll. Sometimes people aren’t good something , don’t react well enough or whatever . Cj has been taught to make threes , but he’s in a slump right now .

Oscar has been ‘taught ‘ defense at every level he’s played …Bob Huggins included taught him . He’s also taught to score , rebound , enter and exit games . He’s likely watched 100 hours of pick and roll. Sometimes people aren’t good something , don’t react well enough or whatever . Cj has been taught to make threes , but he’s in a slump right now .
If you think it’s just that simple I don’t know what else to say. If it’s that simple then CCC should just yell “2-3 zone” or “1-3-1 zone” and the guys should just play it. I’m sure they’ve all been taught it and played it at some point in their life.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
If you think it’s just that simple I don’t know what else to say. If it’s that simple then CCC should just yell “2-3 zone” or “1-3-1 zone” and the guys should just play it. I’m sure they’ve all been taught it and played it at some point in their life.
I’m saying his shortcomings defensively may not be because of a lack of effort or ability to coach him . Some people aren’t good at things for myriad of reasons

Oscar has his shortcomings, but there are some systemic issues defensively. We haven't had a top 30 kenpom defense since 2019.

Reactions: crestcat and ck-2
Knee surgeries or cleanups, whatever you want to call them take time to come back from mentally. Quick turns and trust of that joint is not 100% in Oscars head. It cannot be... I give him a pass in that area. (Not that it matters what I do but that is only fair.)

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I dread watching him try and defend Saturday. He basically plays no resistance defense. And Florida's center is taller and that alone has given OT trouble all year. But also their center can put the ball in the basket. I know we have to have OT layups and rebounds but wish there was some way we could put Ugo on Castleton a bunch of the time. Not sure he would be quick enough but least he is the same height and has a chance to alter or block some of Castleton's shots.

I’m saying his shortcomings defensively may not be because of a lack of effort or ability to coach him . Some people aren’t good at things for myriad of reasons
I get what you’re saying, but what I’m saying is all of CCC’s teams struggle with the high pick and roll and the side pick and roll. Then there’s the out of bounds underneath. Seems like it always leads to an easy bucket for the opponent. Offensively they struggle with screens to get guys open looks, with a lot of standing around.
Now with all that happening over a 10 year span and countless players it has to be attributed to the coach of the program.
There’s a reason you see teams in sports excel in certain aspects of the game annually. Like special teams at VT when Beamer was there, Mumme’s teams alway put points on the board. There’s a reason under Pete Carril Princeton was able to execute the same offense for 29 years.
CCC is a recruiter who has slipped. When left to this coaching and teaching he’s toast. And so are we.

His defense last year was atrocious as well. We just did not notice because of his great personality and the way our other players around him were playing. I believe we were the best team in the country before Wheeler and the other guard(?) were hurt

I also his defense was directly responsible for the St Peter loss last year. He allowed too many straight line drives to the basket

He did that last year as well. He does not play good defense, especially when he gets past the foul line. He cannot recover when a faster player gets a straight line drive to the basket

Reactions: bigbluedon
At times Oscar seems to sleep walk through parts of the game..agree his defense needs some work..

I get what you’re saying, but what I’m saying is all of CCC’s teams struggle with the high pick and roll and the side pick and roll. Then there’s the out of bounds underneath. Seems like it always leads to an easy bucket for the opponent. Offensively they struggle with screens to get guys open looks, with a lot of standing around.
Now with all that happening over a 10 year span and countless players it has to be attributed to the coach of the program.
There’s a reason you see teams in sports excel in certain aspects of the game annually. Like special teams at VT when Beamer was there, Mumme’s teams alway put points on the board. There’s a reason under Pete Carril Princeton was able to execute the same offense for 29 years.
CCC is a recruiter who has slipped. When left to this coaching and teaching he’s toast. And so are we.
I think we were good defensive efficiency last year for the most part

Won’t last in NBA

Doesn’t elevate very good
Doesn’t have range on 3 point shot
Doesn’t play good defense
NBA has many tall players that will negate his rebounding
He will not play in the paint in the NBA.
Few players ever do in the current NBA.

His defense last year was atrocious as well. We just did not notice because of his great personality and the way our other players around him were playing. I believe we were the best team in the country before Wheeler and the other guard(?) were hurt

I also his defense was directly responsible for the St Peter loss last year. He allowed too many straight line drives to the basket
From reading this board, it had to be Cal and Wheeler who were at fault for the St. PETER loss. They have been colluding to destroy UK basketball since last season.

From reading this board, it had to be Cal and Wheeler who were at fault for the St. PETER loss. They have been colluding to destroy UK basketball since last season.
Oscar had the same problem last year that he has this year. He gets burned on defense repeatedly. That’s why opposing teams are targeting Oscar on defense. Wheeler being too small to fight through screens is also a big issue. Cal only instructs and players have to execute.

Reactions: PreMadonna
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT