ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Tshiebwe at “85% healthy” right now

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...d_KD-UsHXV0UhMph0Fx9vb7L8wXnEGMgEufN9_Xex1BlY

Beginning to think that was more than minor surgery…..

Why does Cal just never quite give the full picture? Again, not asking for complete medical records but he definitely led us to believe that Oscars procedure was no big deal and the bounce back would be relatively quick.

I’m sorry, I’m losing more and more respect for him by the day. I’m really beginning to think he doesn’t like fans.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...d_KD-UsHXV0UhMph0Fx9vb7L8wXnEGMgEufN9_Xex1BlY

Why does Cal just never quite give the full picture? Again, not asking for complete medical records but he definitely led us to believe that Oscars procedure was no big deal and the bounce back would be relatively quick.

I’m sorry, I’m losing more and more respect for him by the day. I’m really beginning to think he doesn’t like fans.

You’re doing this to yourself. Just accept what he is and it’s easier.

No Calipari doesn’t like fans. Never has he thinks we’re all idiots. And really who the hell would stand back and watch him be given a contract like that? Idiots and I was one.

Sounds about right. If he had a minor knee surgery in mid October and was just a regular guy he'd be nearly full health by late November.

Oscar is not a normal guy, he is 6'9" and probably 260 lbs....factoring in condition to play and timing seems like a fair answer.

Take the guy in my avatar as an example...he had a minor procedure, missed camp and exhibitions...threw 4 picks WK one and has thrown 4 picks in the past 11 weeks.

Good news IMHO.

During one of the games(might have been the 2nd one he came back) the announcers let it slip. He was initially supposed to be out 6-8 weeks. We just don't know usually because it's a top level security secret that nobody outside of the UK locker room is supposed to know about.

Anytime cal downplays a injury or says it minor like he did Oscar it’s much worse, I beginning to think it wasn’t a scope and had something to do with his meniscus

Cal is just planting seeds so they can grow into excuses that he can use later

None of you have ever seen an NFL or NBA scouting report? No one is ever healthy or injured it’s like a riddle. The layers are impenetrable.

“Why isn’t he being 1000% honest with a bunch of fans?!”

Because he’s navigating opposing coaches and media. It’s not an excuse it’s the damn truth. He’s not trying to trick fans. That’s so asinine.

None of you have ever seen an NFL or NBA scouting report? No one is ever healthy or injured it’s like a riddle. The layers are impenetrable.

“Why isn’t he being 1000% honest with a bunch of fans?!”

Because he’s navigating opposing coaches and media. It’s not an excuse it’s the damn truth. He’s not trying to trick fans. That’s so asinine.
Yeah, nice try. We’ve played this game before. I’m honestly shocked we haven’t heard “haven’t seen him yet”.

Cl has always been like this on injuries/player readiness. Navigating opposing coaches? Are they stupid? They’re going to prepare to meet the returning NPOY. You’d be stupid not to. If he doesn’t play, you’re in even better shape. I’m always amazed by the folks that think coaches can’t prepare multiple game plans.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Ah, if you had zero respect for him, it can't get any lower. No worries. I'm sure Calipari would be concerned about losing you as a fan, though. You might text him or call him and let him know. So sad.

But seriously, is it possible Calipari actually thought the procedure was minor or maybe that he hoped it was minor? Regardless of what was said, the man isn't clairvoyant. Clearly, the issue was more serious than what was said.

So, if you still supported Cal and gave him the benefit of the doubt, what would you be saying right now? You'd be saying, "Seems we've dodged a bullet here. He's playing this well at 85%? When he gets back to full strength, he will be that much better. So, this is good news. He's got 2 weeks here with not many games, so he should be able to get back during this time." I know, that's crazy thinking, eh?

But for someone who already has ZERO respect for a man, every word is analyzed with a jaundiced eye. Every interview is scoured for reasons to reinforce that opinion. And hey, you'll find them.

Remember when Cal was brought in? Louisville fans hated his guts. Everything he did was dissected. He was almost certainly cheating. He was a liar. He was like a used car dealer, slick and slimy. Every public word was just for show. Every action, even the charitable things he did, was for personal promotion and disingenuous. Now, UK fans are the ones saying these things. This is where we are.

Ah, if you had zero respect for him, it can't get any lower. No worries. I'm sure Calipari would be concerned about losing you as a fan, though. You might text him or call him and let him know. So sad.

But seriously, is it possible Calipari actually thought the procedure was minor or maybe that he hoped it was minor? Regardless of what was said, the man isn't clairvoyant. Clearly, the issue was more serious than what was said.

So, if you still supported Cal and gave him the benefit of the doubt, what would you be saying right now? You'd be saying, "Seems we've dodged a bullet here. He's playing this well at 85%? When he gets back to full strength, he will be that much better. So, this is good news. He's got 2 weeks here with not many games, so he should be able to get back during this time." I know, that's crazy thinking, eh?

But for someone who already has ZERO respect for a man, every word is analyzed with a jaundiced eye. Every interview is scoured for reasons to reinforce that opinion. And hey, you'll find them.

Remember when Cal was brought in? Louisville fans hated his guts. Everything he did was dissected. He was almost certainly cheating. He was a liar. He was like a used car dealer, slick and slimy. Every public word was just for show. Every action, even the charitable things he did, was for personal promotion and disingenuous. Now, UK fans are the ones saying these things. This is where we are.
Go to bed

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat

It’s just cause this isn’t our first go round with injuries that linger. I hope Oscar is 100% soon. But again, we’ve played similar rounds like this.

ke spot me some credit. At least I didn’t go full tinfoil hat and claim this was a Cal led NBA conspiracy as I saw some toss around when my MATB went into surgery.

Hey IL wildcat, seriously... I have have no beef with you. It just an evening where we don't agree.

Cal has been in the business for how many years? 35? and he doesn't KNOW when an injury is a serious one? Seriously? are you saying that? He didn't discuss this injury with the medical teams that did the surgery? Again, that's the mans job, to know these kind of things. Every time one of our players gets injured he gives us little, no or misleading information. That's another pattern. And yeah, we as fans have a right to know what's going on with the players on the team we support with our hearts and money.

And i remember everyone from every fan base including our saying all those things about ole triple c's. Know what? they were all right. We thought we were going to win big with him and we did for awhile, so we sold our souls to the devil and were reaping devil now. I will say that I don't believe cal is a cheater now or at UMASS or Memphis but the rest is true. He just lost his ability to coach.

It’s just cause this isn’t our first go round with injuries that linger. I hope Oscar is 100% soon. But again, we’ve played similar rounds like this.

ke spot me some credit. At least I didn’t go full tinfoil hat and claim this was a Cal led NBA conspiracy as I saw some toss around when my MATB went into surgery.
At least you're still hoping for wins. That's definitely a plus. I really do believe Cal was hoping the procedure wasn't serious and was wanting to downplay it at the time. Perhaps he was just wrong. And when he said that Oscar isn't normal on anything, I agreed. I figured his healing time and recovery would be very short. I figured Cal would have to physically prevent him from playing in the opener. But it's clear the recovery didn't go as expected.

Now, I do understand the frustration with Calipari and injury reports. The "I haven't seen him" comments were almost to the point of being comical. Personally, I want to know everything about everything. I eat, sleep, and breathe UK basketball. So, I get it. Is he spiteful toward fans, just being a jerk? Is he really trying to protect players' futures by hiding injury information? Maybe so.

Hey IL wildcat, seriously... I have have no beef with you. It just an evening where we don't agree.

Cal has been in the business for how many years? 35? and he doesn't KNOW when an injury is a serious one? Seriously? are you saying that? He didn't discuss this injury with the medical teams that did the surgery? Again, that's the mans job, to know these kind of things. Every time one of our players gets injured he gives us little, no or misleading information. That's another pattern. And yeah, we as fans have a right to know what's going on with the players on the team we support with our hearts and money.

And i remember everyone from every fan base including our saying all those things about ole triple c's. Know what? they were all right. We thought we were going to win big with him and we did for awhile, so we sold our souls to the devil and were reaping devil now. I will say that I don't believe cal is a cheater now or at UMASS or Memphis but the rest is true. He just lost his ability to coach.
No worries KENTUCKY FLYER. I totally get you now. Now that I know you've given up on this particular team, I don't need to know anything else. You believe it's for the best that we lose every game. I get that, too. I think you're wrong and I could never go there with you, but I get it. And you think Cal is a snake and want him to leave now. I get that, too. We're crystal clear.

On the other hand if you like Cal you might over look and forgive a lot more than fans like us that are done with what seems like double talk.

It’s not like Oscar was the one telling him how long it would be and how he felt. Cal is likely communicating with an athletic trainer, his medical team at the hospital, or some combination of the two. I play division 3 and whenever one of us had a twisted ankle we had to go to the trainer and the trainer gave the coach a report and the lab to get us back on track that the coach followed to a T. And that wasn’t even a prime time sport like basketball.

Cal isn’t a doctor and he certainly isn’t all knowing. But he definitely has more accurate knowledge to the severity of player injuries than he shown the public. At best he just doesn’t care what the fans think, at worst he doesn’t like us and wants to mislead us. Might be somewhere in the middle too.

On the other hand if you like Cal you might over look and forgive a lot more than fans like us that are done with what seems like double talk.

It’s not like Oscar was the one telling him how long it would be and how he felt. Cal is likely communicating with an athletic trainer, his medical team at the hospital, or some combination of the two. I play division 3 and whenever one of us had a twisted ankle we had to go to the trainer and the trainer gave the coach a report and the lab to get us back on track that the coach followed to a T. And that wasn’t even a prime time sport like basketball.

Cal isn’t a doctor and he certainly isn’t all knowing. But he definitely has more accurate knowledge to the severity of player injuries than he shown the public. At best he just doesn’t care what the fans think, at worst he doesn’t like us and wants to mislead us. Might be somewhere in the middle too.
Yeah, I'd say you may be right about the truth likely being somewhere in the middle. I just see no advantage for Calipari to deceive anyone about this procedure and the recovery time. I think he was just downplaying it and was wrong.

Cal has a lifetime contract, for the first time in his life nobody can knock off the enormous chip he has carried on his shoulder since he started coaching. He's not answerable to anybody and he knows it so he says whatever he wants. Just ignore what he says.

I feel like I have to caveat everything I type on this board now. Is there a way to type a disclaimer to be attached to every post?

Anyhow, Cal needs to win big this year. But he isn't leaving.

That said, is this not pretty much par for the course for all athletes, coaches, etc? I'm being objective here so try and not overanalyze...but when have we had a coach who came out and divulged every detail of an injury or timeline for return?

Also, it has been discussed/thought that Oscar doesn't look like himself. Would it be better if Cal just said he's "100%" and acted like nothing was wrong? How do people want this to play out?

Again, pointing to another sport but as a Bengals fan I've been hearing Mixon was likely to play for two weeks after concussion, but hasn't.

Just seems to me this is another reason for people to complain.

Reactions: AGEE11
I feel like I have to caveat everything I type on this board now. Is there a way to type a disclaimer to be attached to every post?

Anyhow, Cal needs to win big this year. But he isn't leaving.

That said, is this not pretty much par for the course for all athletes, coaches, etc? I'm being objective here so try and not overanalyze...but when have we had a coach who came out and divulged every detail of an injury or timeline for return?

Also, it has been discussed/thought that Oscar doesn't look like himself. Would it be better if Cal just said he's "100%" and acted like nothing was wrong? How do people want this to play out?

Again, pointing to another sport but as a Bengals fan I've been hearing Mixon was likely to play for two weeks after concussion, but hasn't.

Just seems to me this is another reason for people to complain.
He doesn’t have to tell every little thing but saying it’s nothing and he will be 100% when we start playing is no where close to him actually being about 70% and able to play, and maybe not approaching 100% until late January if he doesn’t hurt it again before then. Something like he feels good enough to play but we don’t wanna push him in games we won’t need him as much, he probably won’t practice sometimes to get treatment, ect.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbncal02

I’d hope that Cal would know everything that his star player and NPOY is going thru. Medically, personally, etc. He is our most important piece and now he’s making tons of cash so there are things that go along with that as well. If he doesn’t know these things, it again shows to me at least that he’s not doing all the things a leader of this type of program should be doing. Seeing his results I wouldn’t doubt that most things are on autopilot for him now.

He doesn’t have to tell every little thing but saying it’s nothing and he will be 100% when we start playing is no where close to him actualky being about 70% and able to play, and maybe not approaching 100% until late January if he doesn’t hurt it again before then. Something like he feels good enough to play but we don’t wanna push him in games we won’t need him as much, he probably won’t practice sometimes to get treatment, ect.

I don't recall Calipari saying anything other than it being "no big deal" regarding the surgery. I do recall Oscar saying from the get go that he expected to be back by start of season.

Again, he is playing. If the coach is addressing the question about a player's performance and he responds:

“I think Oscar is about 85 percent right now,” Calipari said. “I know his lift is probably 15, 20 percent off — it’s gonna come back. His conditioning is probably off a little bit, he’s gonna come back.”

1. He is making an excuse for the player to protect them. Meaning Oscar is fine but his play is not what it was last year.

2. He is giving an honest response stating he isn't where they thought he would be now in terms of recovery.

JMHO...

Reactions: ManitouDan
I don't recall Calipari saying anything other than it being "no big deal" regarding the surgery. I do recall Oscar saying from the get go that he expected to be back by start of season.

Again, he is playing. If the coach is addressing the question about a player's performance and he responds:

“I think Oscar is about 85 percent right now,” Calipari said. “I know his lift is probably 15, 20 percent off — it’s gonna come back. His conditioning is probably off a little bit, he’s gonna come back.”

1. He is making an excuse for the player to protect them. Meaning Oscar is fine but his play is not what it was last year.

2. He is giving an honest response stating he isn't where they thought he would be now in terms of recovery.

JMHO...
I believe he did state he would be at 100% when the games started right before the Champions Classic. But regardless if he would have said it will take longer for him to be completely ready no discussion would be taking place about it IMHO. Just a small thing he could nip in the bud early that wouldn’t be any kinda distraction.

I believe he did state he would be at 100% when the games started right before the Champions Classic. But regardless if he would have said it will take longer for him to be completely ready no discussion would be taking place about it IMHO. Just a small thing he could nip in the bud early that wouldn’t be any kinda distraction.

I guess I missed that. I took the fact the he didn't play those first few games to mean he was not ready yet. And even if ready for CC it is reasonable to think he wouldn't be full throttle back to the Oscar we know for a bit.

Hard to know without knowing what the actual procedure was. My guess is whatever it was was less "minor" and that was simply something said to not scare BBN to the core. Either way the reality is it has been less than 2 months since procedure. 6-8 weeks is the reality for a scope recovery.

What is more worrisome is Oscar playing too soon and hurting himself again. By the timeline he came back in roughly 4 weeks.

Reactions: Fox2monk
You’re either playing or not
Don’t give that % crap
I’ve seen players have memorable games when under the radar health wise.
Oscar is and will be fine, that’s just him, it’s the rest of the stuff that needs a mechanic to fix. Cal ain’t that mechanic.
This ! this he's 77.9 % or he 91.4 % is total BS . Cal is laying a little cover for the guy since he's not having the type of year this year as compared to last . Hes very very well , just NPOY type well. But its harder trying to shoot J's and be a scorer in this offense when thats not what your skill set is . Got to impress those NBA scouts , those 17 footers should start falling when he gets 94.3 - 96.7 % healthy .. what a joke .
( and this isnt Oscar's doing , its Cal trying to get him to the league)

This ! this he's 77.9 % or he 91.4 % is total BS . Cal is laying a little cover for the guy since he's not having the type of year this year as compared to last . Hes very very well , just NPOY type well. But its harder trying to shoot J's and be a scorer in this offense when thats not what your skill set is . Got to impress those NBA scouts , those 17 footers should start falling when he gets 94.3 - 96.7 % healthy .. what a joke .
( and this isnt Oscar's doing , its Cal trying to get him to the league)

He’s still leading the country in rebounding last I checked despite missing two games and not being a “100 %”.

I have no problem with him taking those shots in the flow of an offense. He was making them at a decent clip last season.

Now Oscar’s defense? That hasn’t gotten any better and teams are exploiting it more and more. Which is why he won’t be able to stay on the floor in the NBA. Put him in pick and roll coverage he’s going to get abused. He just doesn’t have that lateral quickness you need.

Enes Kanter was a skilled offensive big but he had the same problem: he couldn’t stay on the floor because he couldn’t defend and teams would just go at him over and over again.

ADVERTISEMENT