ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar T to announce within 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because Cal don't sugarcoat shit. These handlers and elite players want money and to be guaranteed things. The ones who are willingly to compete end up at UK.

It's a little bit more than that but, is true. Cal's results have not been matched. It used to be the result, not the intent or good intentions. Good intentions won't by you anything... Cal provides results...

That's because Cal don't sugarcoat shit. These handlers and elite players want money and to be guaranteed things. The ones who are willingly to compete end up at UK.
I seriously doubt any of these major college bb programs are outright paying to play in this current climate. No need to make grandiose statements simply because we may miss out on a player.

this is pretty funny, in a "I have no idea what is actually happening but I'll post anyways" kind of way..

Would love to have Oscar at UK but may be hard to get because of his host or who ever he is staying with pushing him to WV. Wish people would just let player make up their own minds.

Would love to have Oscar at UK but may be hard to get because of his host or who ever he is staying with pushing him to WV. Wish people would just let player make up their own minds.
For some reason we seem to run into this type of situation on a regular basis.Why do you think these parents,handlers,etc all seem to be anti UK,with our history of NBA success with these kids it would seem the opposite would be true.

This rumor needs to die....

First off, Oscar's "ties" with WVU started when his older teammate, Maciej Bender, at Mountain Mission Academy committed to WVU. Oscar started taking trips with Bender to WVU in 9th grade, and then again in 10th grade to visit Bender at WVU. That's where he met Bender's roommate, Sagaba Konate.

Konate and Oscar became instantly close and when the coaching staff at Mountain Mission changed, Oscar wanted to leave so Konate introduced Oscar to Konate's host family in PA............ which soon became Oscar's host family for his 11th grade and now Senior year at Kennedy Catholic. At the time, WVU was heavily involved with Kennedy Catholic PG Maceo Austin, and those two met on campus and hit it off, so they wanted to play HS ball together (since I believe they had started playing AAU together already)

Oscar has been on WVU's campus in legal, unofficial capacities countless times over the last few years..... coming into town in the summers to stay with Konate and work out with him, other players and former players/current pro's like Kevin Jones in open gym settings.

Oscar's HC at Kennedy Catholic has ties to the Huggins coaching tree in Ohio. His host family's ties to WVU exist via Sagaba Konate and the experiences Sags had during his own recruiting process.

If Oscar chooses WVU, it's because it was his decision, not anyone else's. He's been around WVU far too long to have anyone "pushing" him to go there.

Last edited:

First off, Oscar's "ties" with WVU started when his older teammate, Maciej Bender, at Mountain Mission Academy committed to WVU. Oscar started taking trips with Bender to WVU in 9th grade, and then again in 10th grade to visit Bender at WVU. That's where he met Bender's roommate, Sagaba Konate.

Konate and Oscar became instantly close and when the coaching staff at Mountain Mission changed, Oscar wanted to leave so Konate introduced Oscar to Konate's host family in PA............ which soon became Oscar's host family for his 11th grade and now Senior year at Kennedy Catholic.

Oscar has been on WVU's campus in legal, unofficial capacities countless times over the last few years..... coming into town in the summers to stay with Konate and work out with him, other players and former players/current pro's like Kevin Jones in open gym settings.

Oscar's HC at Kennedy Catholic has ties to the Huggins coaching tree in Ohio. His host family's ties to WVU exist via Sagaba Konate and the experiences Sags had during his own recruiting process.

If Oscar chooses WVU, it's because it was his decision, not anyone else's. He's been around WVU far too long to have anyone "pushing" him to go there.

Will be great to have him at Kentucky either way, just see him going to West Virginia..

For some reason we seem to run into this type of situation on a regular basis.Why do you think these parents,handlers,etc all seem to be anti UK,with our history of NBA success with these kids it would seem the opposite would be true.
Our success placing kids in the NBA puts money in the kids' pockets...it doesn't make any bank for the parents/handlers.

Our success placing kids in the NBA puts money in the kids' pockets...it doesn't make any bank for the parents/handlers.

3QeZ.gif

Konate and Oscar became instantly close and when the coaching staff at Mountain Mission changed, Oscar wanted to leave so Konate introduced Oscar to Konate's host family in PA............ which soon became Oscar's host family for his 11th grade and now Senior year at Kennedy Catholic. At the time, WVU was heavily involved with Kennedy Catholic PG Maceo Austin, and those two met on campus and hit it off, so they wanted to play HS ball together (since I believe they had started playing AAU together already)

That all sounds great, but what I will never understand about recruitments like this is if he does have such deep and abiding ties to WVa, why didn’t he commit a year ago? Or at least, why didn’t he commit right out of the visit?

He doesn’t seem like the type of kid who wants a lot of attention or hype. I don’t doubt he’ll pick WVa, I just don’t understand why he hasn’t already done so if he’s such a lock.

That all sounds great, but what I will never understand about recruitments like this is if he does have such deep and abiding ties to WVa, why didn’t he commit a year ago? Or at least, why didn’t he commit right out of the visit?

He doesn’t seem like the type of kid who wants a lot of attention or hype. I don’t doubt he’ll pick WVa, I just don’t understand why he hasn’t already done so if he’s such a lock.

He was actually ready and willing to commit to WVU when he was an unheralded recruit, but was convinced by his AAU program coaches and mentors to let it all play out. This was when he was still with Team Loaded VA........... a program that has always pushed kids to stay on the East Coast (A10, ACC).

H was playing up a year with them I believe, alongside Mac McClung of Georgetown, and the coaches said "Look at Mac. This time last year, he was ready to commit to a MAC school, now he's getting Power Conference offers"

He since moved to ITPS, a combo of WV and Pittsburgh area players.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

You seem really eager to try to persuade us.

Consider me converted.

I dub Huggins and West Virginia relevant now.

I seriously doubt any of these major college bb programs are outright paying to play in this current climate. No need to make grandiose statements simply because we may miss out on a player.

Have you been ignoring the FBI scandal? WVU isn't paying, but others are.

He was actually ready and willing to commit to WVU when he was an unheralded recruit, but was convinced by his AAU program coaches and mentors to let it all play out. This was when he was still with Team Loaded VA........... a program that has always pushed kids to stay on the East Coast (A10, ACC).

H was playing up a year with them I believe, alongside Mac McClung of Georgetown, and the coaches said "Look at Mac. This time last year, he was ready to commit to a MAC school, now he's getting Power Conference offers"

He since moved to ITPS, a combo of WV and Pittsburgh area players.

Appreciate all the info. Sounds like you're dialed in to this recruitment.

Appreciate all the info. Sounds like you're dialed in to this recruitment.

not so much, Oscar has just been a common topic to WVU basketball fans for 3 years and his recruitment has been pretty visible.

When Huggins offered him, he was in 9th grade....... was a soccer player trying to learn how to dribble, and just had a massive wingspan and good coordination.

not so much, Oscar has just been a common topic to WVU basketball fans for 3 years and his recruitment has been pretty visible.

When Huggins offered him, he was in 9th grade....... was a soccer player trying to learn how to dribble, and just had a massive wingspan and good coordination.

How do you like you chances in landing him? Seems like you're the heavy leaders for the kid.

He's only been on our radar for about a year now, so I wasn't aware of all that background.

He's a tremendous player and seems like a great kid, so if he's not a fit here with us I'm glad he's playing for Huggins and volleyball spiking shot attempts from Kansas' adidas employees.

How do you like you chances in landing him? Seems like you're the heavy leaders for the kid.

For WVU to lose Oscar Tshiebwe, even to UK................ it would be the biggest recruiting failure of Bob Huggins' career.

He's spent 3 years keeping Oscar close to the hip............ we even considered bringing on fellow Mountain Mission player and ASU washout Jethro Tshisumpa to WVU as a transfer simply as a means to sweeten the deal for Oscar (he and Jethro are friends)

Tshisumpa is at Miss St now after a JUCO season.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Of course I'm serious. But since you seem to disagree Cousin Eddie, why don't you share why you think parents/handlers seem to be anti-UK, w/ all of the success we've had placing kids in the league?

that's just it. I don't think that............... my jif was about your statement that UK's ability to place freshmen in the NBA doesn't financially benefit parents or handlers...

No, I'm not accusing UK of paying anybody anything, but as far as assets........... a parent to a Kentucky freshman whose names are all over mock drafts can easily acquire loans and such based on the collateral that is future earning potential.

And it's just silly to think kids don't "take care" of those close to them.

that's just it. I don't think that............... my jif was about your statement that UK's ability to place freshmen in the NBA doesn't financially benefit parents or handlers...

I was talking more short term, which seems more apropos to the microwave society we currently live in. 1 or 2 years can seem like a long time to a family that's living hand to mouth. You think your kid's good enough to make it on their own merit, w/out the benefit of Cal's proven to work tutelage, you're willing to take the 100K and let your kid go to, say Kansas or maybe Arizona, instead of the established star maker. You're thinking, "Why not take the handout, the nba money will still be there" and you make a decision that's ultimately not in the best interests of your kid.

As far as kids "taking care" of those close to them, parents may feel assured of this, but for the handlers, not so much. If they felt like they'd be "taken care of" in any meaningful way once the NBA money starts coming in, there'd never be a kid in America getting any advice other than "hold out for the UK offer".

Reactions: BBUK
I was talking more short term, which seems more apropos to the microwave society we currently live in. 1 or 2 years can seem like a long time to a family that's living hand to mouth. You think your kid's good enough to make it on their own merit, w/out the benefit of Cal's proven to work tutelage, you're willing to take the 100K and let your kid go to, say Kansas or maybe Arizona, instead of the established star maker. You're thinking, "Why not take the handout, the nba money will still be there" and you make a decision that's ultimately not in the best interests of your kid.

As far as kids "taking care" of those close to them, parents may feel assured of this, but for the handlers, not so much. If they felt like they'd be "taken care of" in any meaningful way once the NBA money starts coming in, there'd never be a kid in America getting any advice other than "hold out for the UK offer".

Men still ought nought wear aprons! (Ouch in advance)

@Cindog28
@Bkocats

Last edited:

No, I'm not accusing UK of paying anybody anything, but as far as assets........... a parent to a Kentucky freshman whose names are all over mock drafts can easily acquire loans and such based on the collateral that is future earning potential.

That's against NCAA rules. I'm an expert here as a KU fan - see Cliff Alexander's mom.

And also, UL would never pay players right after getting busted with hookers.

Some people are sociopaths. Some people are always ready to go double or nothing. Also explains Bruce Pearl still having a high paying, high profile gig.

Have you been ignoring the FBI scandal? WVU isn't paying, but others are.
Have you been reading comments on this thread? Apparently not. Go back and do so and you'll find someone suggesting WVU is doing something "illegal" here in this recruitment. My reply was to that false suggestion and my reasoning was due to the current climate involving the FBI probe. Try and keep up before running off at the keyboard as you typically do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT