ADVERTISEMENT

Original thought on Cal's recruiting...

Thompkins4uk

Freshman
Feb 1, 2011
I love Cal. I love his recruiting. My only criticism is that he sometimes recruits on potential much like the NBA Draft. He recruits big time athletes with huge wing spans or great quickness/verticals. The problem is...they end up being OAD or even a 2-year player and they end up not helping us much at UK. If you have too many guys like that on the roster then it hurts you. One or two are fine as long as you have basketball players and shooters around them (2012). Eventually, these guys get better and end up being decent pros but they weren't good college players. Why not take the very best players who can help us at Ky?

Prime example of the players that I'm talking about is Gabriel, Diallo, Skal, Goodwin, even MKG (difference with MKG was that he has shooters and basketball players around him). I love MKG, im just saying he's the type of player I'm talking about.

Auburn doesn't turn the ball over and they make shots (they struggled last night and they still won).

Conclusion: basketball players/shooters > NBA potential

Agree?

I love Cal. I love his recruiting. My only criticism is that he sometimes recruits on potential much like the NBA Draft. He recruits big time athletes with huge wing spans or great quickness/verticals. The problem is...they end up being OAD or even a 2-year player and they end up not helping us much at UK. If you have too many guys like that on the roster then it hurts you. One or two are fine as long as you have basketball players and shooters around them (2012). Eventually, these guys get better and end up being decent pros but they weren't good college players. Why not take the very best players who can help us at Ky?

Prime example of the players that I'm talking about is Gabriel, Diallo, Skal, Goodwin, even MKG (difference with MKG was that he has shooters and basketball players around him). I love MKG, im just saying he's the type of player I'm talking about.

Auburn doesn't turn the ball over and they make shots (they struggled last night and they still won).

Agree?
Yeah, the Brandon Knight team for example was really a perfect college team. They had a great mix of skill and athletic ability and had some upperclassmen on that team as well. That team basically only played 7 people the whole year. This team was just not put together very well at all, it is a shame the Baker kid got hurt, maybe he was the shooter this team needed.

Reactions: jace2012
All 9 of these guys are lacking in skill across the board.

It isn't just shooting. We could get by with this level of shooting if more of these guys could keep the ball moving with handling and passing. My diagnosis of what has gone wrong this season is that while the lack of shooting was a given, the lack of handling and passing was underestimated.

Should get a 4 star 4 year player every year, that knows his place as a multi year guy, and preferably from ky...to go along with the 1anddoners. Guarantees there is upper class leadership to steady the ship.

Agree?

Agree?
Spot on.

Reactions: crpoore
Should get a 4 star 4 year player every year, that knows his place as a multi year guy, and preferably from ky...to go along with the 1anddoners. Guarantees there is upper class leadership to steady the ship.
Green and Baker this year
Herro next year.
They'll play 3-4 years And be quality pieces.

Don't agree on the ky kid. Just get the best players

Green and Baker this year
Herro next year.
They'll play 3-4 years And be quality pieces.

Don't agree on the ky kid. Just get the best players
I hope they stick around but recent history says unless you're from the state of KY then you will transfer out or declare for the Draft anyway after your first or second year once you realize you're not a OAD. See Briscoe, Humphries, Matthews, Wiltjer, Poole, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT