ADVERTISEMENT

Only one minor "concern" I have about the WVU game

UKWildcats#8

All-American
Jun 25, 2011
I feel extremely confident that not only will UK win, but by double digits, and perhaps upwards to 15-20 points as long as they shoot a good percentage, take care of the ball, and continue to excel at FTs.

That said, sometimes when UK gets a lead they tend to rest on their laurels (Blocking out image of idiot Christian Laettner on that commercial as I type!), and play lax at times. That is my one minor concern...say UK jumps out 24-12 in the first 10-11 minutes, and dominates the press as I expect. If UK starts being lazy and complacent, that double digit lead will be erased in no time against a team that presses all the time. We have all seen UK come out complacent with decent leads to start the 2nd half this year...but it all works out in the end so who cares right?

I guess I am just hoping the guys can avoid these mental lapses against WVU, and attack, attack, attack for near 40 minutes, as I believe doing that will net a somewhat easy win. WVU's lone chance is to get a ton of easy baskets off turnovers. They have no chance otherwise IMO.

I digress, and everyone focus on my first paragraph if you want to jump my ass and remember I said we will win by double digits. I am just bored, and thinking out loud.

I firmly believe we will beat wvu. That said. The end of games and not keeping the pedal on the gas is on Cal. He has always done this and I don't know why. It's almost like playing not to lose Its my only pet peeve of his

Originally posted by W2R:
I firmly believe we will beat wvu. That said. The end of games and not keeping the pedal on the gas is on Cal. He has always done this and I don't know why. It's almost like playing not to lose Its my only pet peeve of his
It happens but I remember no game where he did that and UK actually lost

He's not going to be able to utilize that style against WVU IMO. They are not going to let our guys just stand out near half court and dribble the ball and the clock down to 5-8 seconds on the shot clock to shoot it. They will run out and trap and pressure our guys if we do that...and we had better take the easy layups and dunks it results in when they do it.

I know Huggins and Cal are friends, but the style Huggins employs pretty much throws the Cal mercy stall ball rule out of bounds if you ask me. I could be wrong though as I am every day on here and in "real" life.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

He's not going to be able to utilize that style against WVU IMO. They are not going to let our guys just stand out near half court and dribble the ball and the clock down to 5-8 seconds on the shot clock to shoot it. They will run out and trap and pressure our guys if we do that...and we had better take the easy layups and dunks it results in when they do it.

I know Huggins and Cal are friends, but the style Huggins employs pretty much throws the Cal mercy stall ball rule out of bounds if you ask me. I could be wrong though as I am every day on here and in "real" life.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
You just answered your own question. WVU pressing will keep UK pushing.

I just hope Willie and Dakari dunk all those easy looks they're going to get when UK beats the press instead of trying to lay it in.

Every game we play comes down to only one thing and that is our intensity level. Allow us to be honest here. Which teams in the country comes close to our talent and depth? If we just match their intensity level, how could they win?

Hampton and Cincy came out of the gates with a much higher intensity level. Had we matched it from beginning to end, a 30 to 40 point win. Why allow this? The thing some of these players came back for. The goal all these players want at the most important time with the tournament.

We have learned it is the kind of mood the players are in as to what kind of game it will be. It could be a UCLA or a Texas A @ M game. Nobody can match the talent and depth. We come to play, it won't matter who or what it is. We come out with a ho hum attitude, a lot of teams can hang with us.

The players for West Virginia thinking and saying they can play with us and possibly beat us is at the mercy of what kind of mood our guys are in. We know it but they don't. So as fans we can only hope our guys are in the mood to obliterate WV or whoever else we might play because we know when they are in that other mood we are in danger of getting upset.

IMO one of the best posts I have read this week. You are right on target.

Our guys will want this one bad. They hear the talk just like we do.

They will not look past WVU.

Plus, WVU might come into this game a little too confident. I know that sounds crazy, but they did play above themselves against Maryland.

Originally posted by CatOnRockyTop:

My concern is injury due to the WVU "style" or that one of our players gets baited into a fight.
I've read several comments such as this about Arkansas, Cincy, and now WVU. I don't think people get "baited" into fights. They can be invited to fight, but should decline. A good top level team of future pros should be able to keep their heads if pushed around a little.

Will have to do 2 things in this game...keep the WVU offensive rebounds to a minimum and not turn the ball over where it leads to free baskets.

That is the only way WVU can win is a ton of offensive rebounds leading to points and a bunch of live ball turnovers leading to points.

They are an awful shooting team but they get so many extra chances then their opponents in games they win.

Rebound and take care of the ball and this game is ours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT