ADVERTISEMENT

One-time Transfer rule idea

I like it…as long as the agreement is reciprocal. Currently, athletic scholarships are year-to-year, and the school chooses whether or not to renew. If the athlete is effectively bound to the school for two years, then the school should also be bound for two. Make the athletic scholarship guaranteed for freshman and sophomore year and go for it.

I think it’s a great idea. Exceptions are easy. Coach gets fired or takes another job, you get an exception (unless you’re following the coach to their new school). It’s ridiculous that as a coach you now take a huge risk by bringing in a Freshman and trying to focus more on their development than their playing time. Like sorry that you may have to pay your freakin dues when you’re a damn freshman.

I’m not one to crush a kid for transferring either, regular students transfer all the time and don’t get grief about it. Make the decision that’s best for you. But for athletics, letting a kid walk with no consequences because they didn’t come right in and start is so stupid. It would be kinda like a normal student transferring after a year because they didn’t get to take classes for their major right away. It puts coaches in a tough situation and it makes it difficult to build/sustain your program. Honestly, a really great idea by Painter that could very easily be implemented. It’s just common sense.

I got no problem with it but then again I think the rule should be like football in that players cant enter the draft till after their junior year once in college but they can go to the NBA out of high school if they choose..Simple fix.

Reactions: westerncat
I like it…as long as the agreement is reciprocal. Currently, athletic scholarships are year-to-year, and the school chooses whether or not to renew. If the athlete is effectively bound to the school for two years, then the school should also be bound for two. Make the athletic scholarship guaranteed for freshman and sophomore year and go for it.
I like the reciprocity. There should be a couple of escape clauses. One for the athlete -- the departure of the coach. And one for the school -- some strict span of malfeasance by the athlete. And possibly -- given the toxic nature of social media -- if the locals are determined to make the athlete's life wretched -- one that recognizes the very public nature of athletic competition.

You just can’t ban the player from transferring when the coach has freedom to leave without repercussions.

I always say the way to handle it is to limit the SCHOOLS not the players. Limit teams to only take in 2 transfers max a year. It will cap the problem and essentially achieve the same result unless guys want to transfer to Transylvania. Plus it will ruin Arkansas basketball, I’m a fan of that too.

Reactions: chroix
How about we go back to the rule you transfer whenever you want...but you sit a year when you do? THere is a good reason the rule was in place...and would lessen a ton of this silliness.

If you want to exempt the sit out for a year for grad transfers...fine. If you want to to revisit the rule when a coach leaves and allow the kids the same freedom...there is some logic in that as well.

But what they've created has no logic to it....it was put on us in the last 2 years when the basketball world was crying that players get treated terribly, etc...which was an overreaction. There is nothing magical about 2 years that Painter is suggesting...just go back to the original rule is best path forward.

Reactions: chroix and Alias44
i would like to see the rule as a one time free transfer rule with no sitting out, after that is you want to transfer then you must sit out a year. no more free transfers every year.
You just described the current rules.

Agreed. Make em at least give it a two year try. I can’t respect any player that quits after one year or less.

What if you show up on campus and find out you are playing for a Bob Knight wannabe, or half the team is involved in selling drugs, or other similar things?

Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Is there a huge issue of players leaving after one year.
Not that it's not happening. But is it a problem?
Is the game much worse now because of it.
Other than, I'm old and we didn't do it this way before, are the players or game worse off.
Johnny Juzang and Charles Matthews wouldn't say so.

Other than, I'm old and we didn't do it this way before, are the players or game worse off.
I kinda agree.I like the new rule but wish kids would give it more time than just 1 season.However,we dont know what kids are told by coaches and their staffs to get them to sign so perhaps those promises made never materialized or wasnt as robust as was led on.

The new rules make me question what former Cats would have left if the instant eligibility was in place 30+ years. Just some of the recent players off the top of my head, I'm thinking:
-Liggins
-Joe Crawford
-Jon Hood
-Derek Willis
-60% of Gillespie's players, even without Cal showing them the door
-Briscoe
-Gabriel
-Definitely not a popular opinion, but I think Jeff Sheppard would have seriously considered it after 96.

You just can’t ban the player from transferring when the coach has freedom to leave without repercussions.

I always say the way to handle it is to limit the SCHOOLS not the players. Limit teams to only take in 2 transfers max a year. It will cap the problem and essentially achieve the same result unless guys want to transfer to Transylvania. Plus it will ruin Arkansas basketball, I’m a fan of that too.

You've hit on an interesting dilemma. Georgia was flattened by players transferring out, and probably something internal to Georgia spurred that. If Georgia had been restricted to 2 incoming players they couldn't have fielded a team, and the NCAA isn't in the business of keeping schools from fielding teams. I'm not sure what the balance might be, but a whirlwind player bazaar doesn't seem optimum.

Last edited:
You've hit on an interesting dilemma. Georgia was flattened by players transferring out, and probably something internal to Georgia spurred that. If Georgia had been restricted to 2 incoming players they couldn't have fielded a team, and the NCAA isn't in the business of keeping schools from fielding teams. I'm not sure what the balance might be, but a whirlwind player bazaar doesn't seem optimum.
That is a very good counter and yeah can’t have that happening either. Maybe there could be an exemption allowed for a school for that circumstance. I’m not sure but somehow it does have to be controlled because as of now, it’s out of control

Nothing wrong with freedom to change schools. The issue is NIL money can't be used to recruit a player AWAY from another school. And THAT is going to be a hard rule to enforce.

There are already coaches saying players not yet in the portal calling them, trying to get a feel for both playing time availability and NIL Potential before they they enter the portal. So the portal is being used as a free agency tool.

College sports is big business for the coaches and schools. Now they're butthurt that its big business for the players too. Imagine that!

Sucks for us fans, but free agency in the pros kinda sucked for us too. But its the right thing to do from a legal perspective. So NCAA, the facade has been lifted from the fake "student-athlete" label you created. How's that tasting now?

Reactions: Zissou87
THe answer is early returns are it''s going to make the game less competitive....and let this play out 5 more years I think the problem grows larger and larger.....so yes there is a problem.

- The Pitt WR basically being bought by USC essentially bottoms out Pitt and helps USC get better quicker and of not anything strategic on part of USC...they just had the biggest bank account.
- Alabama essentially has done the same thing but much less coverage....they filled a WR hole from the UL transfer, OLine hole with Vandy transfer and a RB hole with the Ga Tech transfer. So all three of those teams lose a ton of value and an elite team got more elite by basically tampering with 2 of those players (Steen and w/o question Harrell was tampered with) and a 3rd player in Gibbs probably got enticed with $$$/NIL.

So if you want football to become increasingly more and more like MLB where teams can essentially double and triple payrolls of most teams and buy titles.....the current NIL with immediate playing for transfer portal is essentially free agency every single year in college football...you're going to see smaller schools even less competitive and fans of those schools will care even less and football as a whole will get less and less fans supporting teams.

So yeah....this a big damn problem.

ADVERTISEMENT