ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 10 scale. What’s your interest level in UK basketball now, compared to 5/10/15/20 years ago?

I can remember when Pitino came in and he had that full court press and the 3 point shot

I would be so hyped up after a game I'd have to go jog to burn off energy. Heck I moved back to the Kentucky area because I was living in the middle of SEC football country, and (prior to DTV) you could only watch UK basketball on CBS televised games.

I wasn't quite as excited with Cal, but that was due more to age than anything. I ate it up and towed the Calipari company line about recruiting and setting aside tradition to usher in the one and done. I attended 3 Final Fours - New Orleans, Dallas and Indianapolis.

Now I think we've sold the soul of Kentucky basketball and I"m not certain we'll ever get it back. I never envisioned one and done would go so far that we'd start an entire team of players that didn't even wear a UK uniform the year before.

How can anyone believe that's the way to run a college basketball program.
That run in the 90s was something to behold. I didn't miss a game. Hated it when UK lost. On those teams you felt like you got to know the players and that they actually cared about being at UK.

I think the Wall class had some of that....but they were looking at the nba over their shoulder.

The first couple of years of Cal's tenure had that 90s feeling for different reasons. Last four years have been a little rough.

Why? We can still be interested enough to chat with fellow fans. Just because I don't want to watch the same shitty basketball does not mean I don't care.
Hard to imagine where some people’s thinking comes from isn’t it? I’m beginning to think it’s a cultural thing, but not sure. Damn sure ain’t Marrowbonian. Is that a word?

I don't think we can put ALL the blame on Cal. He's working with the system the nba has forced on the NCAA. Combine this with the sports center mentality and the aau mentality of the kids coming up in high school, along with all of their crew and family telling them they're the next MJ or AD and you have a perfect storm.
it was a conscious decision on his part to go in this direction. It worked great in the beginning, Now its not working any better than a Tubby Smith approach to basketball

10 when Cal was hired and 10 today. My son who is college still text during games we can’t watch together. I don’t understand all the posters saying the joy went away after the Wisconsin loss. Seems like such a lame excuse or “fair weather fan”. I enjoy the growth of most of Cal’s teams and the process to get there. I am a die hard and those that only enjoy seasons like 2015 and 2012 aren’t true fans in my opinion. It’s obnoxious quite honestly.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Wouldn't be surprised to see a significant drop in seating capacity at Rupp in the future.

There just won't be the demand for tickets.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I think you're spot on. A LOT of fans are turned off by the woke culture. Look at the ratings of the nba. You'd think during a pandemic with the bulk of the country forced to be at home sports ratings would be through the roof.

Nope.

The nba, who btw will not condemn China and nike for the exploitation of their own people, will criticize the USA in a heartbeat. Then, colleges moved to do the same.....though not to the degree of the nba or nfl.

Kinda hard to buy the woke argument when you're getting a free ride to school that many struggle to pay for or when multi-millionaires attempt to tell you how racist and bad the USA is. The very country that has a means for them to take their athletic "skills" and make a fortune most of us could only dream about.

Very well said and i thing a lot of people feel that way.

Why? We can still be interested enough to chat with fellow fans. Just because I don't want to watch the same shitty basketball does not mean I don't care.
Because someone who’s interest level in UK basketball is a 2 for example wouldn’t be on a UK basketball forum, in my opinion of course

Because someone who’s interest level in UK basketball is a 2 for example wouldn’t be on a UK basketball forum, in my opinion of course

people have been on this board for 10, some close to 20 years and have built personal relationships beyond basketball. I’ve done art for a few folks on this board, but nahhhh, you’re right.

Probably 3-4. I loathe having a new team every year and draft night being the most important to Cal.

Reactions: katwest
You know, after reading through this thread, I see I'm not alone. I used to listen to Cal's postgame where he talked about the "crazy" fan base and how maybe we needed to settle down. I know he was half-joking, but I think part of him really meant it. Well, he finally got his wish.

I wonder if there will be a time when Cal says, "Man, I remember when the fans used to be crazy. They used to know the stats and players better than I did. Boy, I miss those days."

Or, would he even care? It is all about the players, after all.

2-3 . My hunting has gotten much better because of it. Too old to allow 18-22 year olds put me in bad mood.
From 1969 thru 2015 my interest level was a 10. During the late 70’s early 80’s UK had a game that was played at something like 2:00 am in The Great Alaskan Shootout. I stayed up all night to watch the game. I was a recruiting junkie. UK basketball was at the top of my list….. Now my interest level is probably a 4 or 5. It’s the 1 and done & 2 and run environment that’s been created here. Calipari pushing these players out of here before they have a chance to even know what town they’re in. I understand players like Wall, Big Cuz, A.D., Randall, Towns, Fox, Bam, ect. Leaving after 1 season. They were can’t miss Top-10, Top-15 picks that were ready to be NBA stars from day 1. The problem are the players like Daniel Orton, Marquis Teague, Doran Lamb, Archie Goodwin, James Young ect. Leaving here with 2 or 3 years of eligibility remaining that were darn lucky to be drafted, some late in the 1st round. If that wasn’t bad enough we’ve now got players leaving early that has no chance of even being drafted at all. Around here, it’s like if you’re a 5-Star recruit & if you aren’t out of here before your junior season that you’re some kind of an embarrassing, failure. And I lay the blame 100% at the feet of John Calipari.

Reactions: UK90
10 when Cal was hired and 10 today. My son who is college still text during games we can’t watch together. I don’t understand all the posters saying the joy went away after the Wisconsin loss. Seems like such a lame excuse or “fair weather fan”. I enjoy the growth of most of Cal’s teams and the process to get there. I am a die hard and those that only enjoy seasons like 2015 and 2012 aren’t true fans in my opinion. It’s obnoxious quite honestly.

This guy hit the nail on the head, my only grief that has me down a little bit is all the schools blatant cheating and getting caught and nothing happens, but now a days I just put my blinders on and only watch UK and don't worry about what other teams do/ win / lose etc. If they win 4 titles cheating and pass up UK whoever they are, so be it, good for them.

But I still enjoy the games and watching our new teams grow, Jackson this year reminds me so much of a Dennis Rodman, he will be my favorite player for sure this year, what a motor.

I think People need to take a step back and look at this crummy year with the plandemic and all, and how it's effected everyone mentally... our team missed lots of practice and no exhibitions, really hurts our young team, so instead of 5-7 losses we are probably going to stumble more into 10-12 losses if we get to play enough games lol, if we have to sit out 2-4 weeks due to a player having a cold ya know that will be like 4 games less.

Reactions: meow_cat
10 year ago 11.

Today? About a 3.

I never thought that could happen.

It's not the virus or apathy, I watched every cardinals game this year.

Kentucky is just not fun anymore. It's one of the reasons I'm ready for Cal to move on. He served his purpose, it was a good hire, but I'm tired.

Baseball doesn’t rely on the fans nearly as much as CBB. It is nearly unwatchable with little to no fans.

I am stuck somewhere around 3 or 4. I will try to watch the games, but don’t really care if I have to miss some. That would have been an absurd statement a few years ago.

I've been at a 10 since 1993 through 2015
2017 I was at 8, Fox/Monk/Bam loss really squashed me
Last season I was still at a 7 but the tournament cancelled
Then Cal and team came out supporting that terror organization BLM
Now I'm at a 1
Didn't watch a minute of Richmond or KU

Reactions: awf and KyFaninNC
Mine was 10 before. 10 Now

my wife was 10 before. 1 now.

hard to watch player you don’t know that stink up the court for 4 months before you ever think they have a chance.

watch 1 month of good basketball and hope we make a run.

Game is changing. Cal will too. Fletcher, Askew, Ware hopefully become 3 year stars. Then add 1 or 2OADs. Not a single multi year player hurts the game and the transfers feel like OADs too...

Go Cats!!

I've been at a 10 since 1993 through 2015
2017 I was at 8, Fox/Monk/Bam loss really squashed me
Last season I was still at a 7 but the tournament cancelled
Then Cal and team came out supporting that terror organization BLM
Now I'm at a 1
Didn't watch a minute of Richmond or KU
You are posting here. Interest obviously > 1

Level of excitement is 10 just like it was 40 years ago. If you don’t get excited to watch your favorite team play a sport then you should question your loyalty to to that team or you could be a bandwagon fan. I stick with my team through thick and thin. I have to laugh at the ones putting up polls about your interest in basketball three games into the season. Yes I get upset when they lose but then I’m ready for the next game

Eh, respectfully disagree. Just because the new “culture” of NCAA basketball and particularly Kentucky basketball (and American society as a whole the last several years) is a turnoff to some doesn’t mean they’re “bandwagon”or fake fans man.

I mean scour my post history for example- many called me a sunshine pumper. I’m 36 years old and have been a HUGE fan since I was small boy. I’m sure you know that. I can give various examples and games and traditions I’ve done etc to solidify my fandom but I’m sure you know.

same with @morgousky and @jedwar and @drew_ukfan @kyjeff1 and many others I’m not gonna tag. Like obviously based off their history here on the board we are well aware they’re true and real fans. Deep down you know that too, so it’s not really fair to just dismiss valid criticisms as a fake or bandwagon fan ya know?

Last edited:
I don't even watch anymore.Most of the time I will just check on my phone or maybe listen to Tom for a few minutes.Its not fun for me with constant roster turnover and same Cal speach every year.Rinse and repeat.I like Cal but he is to stubborn to adapt..the one and done is yesterdays news and style of play is yesterdays news.

whether its fair or not, when you don't have a product on the floor worth watching AND you have a team that no one even knows who half the players are, how can you expect enthusiam for the program to be high?

a bunch of kids that don't want to be at my school who I don't know playing a game badly and losing, yea I'll tune in for that, I'll drive 3 hours to see it in person.

What’s my interest? Probably the same as it’s always been. But with kids etc, I don’t live and die with losses like I did when I was in my teens and 20s. Never have attached my self worth to UK basketball either. Nor have I ever bought into revisionist history of UK basketball as being some NCAA title winner on a consistent basis. It never has been and never will be.

Reactions: awf
Zero. I come to this board out of habit only and like to look at topics in the Paddock that interest me. Before we have any wise asses saying “oh how’d you see this?”
My son, who is 18, comes here to read threads and asked me what mine was. I told him I’m 100% comfortable in my decision to never watch sports again.

And the reason I’m posting this is because it isn’t just me. Probably 75% of my friends and family have little to no interest anymore.

2020 and the shit show it’s been has opened a lot of people’s eyes when it comes to “entertainment” and being pandered to/ forced agendas now being woven into damn near everything (including college basketball).

I guess I'm about a 6 now, I used to go to midnight madness every year and would stay up til early morning hours to watch the great Alaskan shootout and keep up with recruiting all the time. Things have changed as I have gotten older, now I don't stay up to watch if it's late or don't watch the replay if we lose and I recorded it. Some of the traditions like senior night now are only for bench players or walk on's. I don't like the pro or draft talk being thrown around all the time when they are only going to be here 6 months or so, to each his own though.

My interest level was always a 10 up until that past few years.

I'd say that it's 6 or 7 now, but if politics and social justice continue to consume sports, I'll turn it off completely.

I'm also tired of starting every season like this and hoping that we improve by year's end.

Unfortunately my friend the social justice, forced pandering, and “activism” will only continue to get worse and worse and worse. Big time.

I used to post on here a lot more frequently. I used to visit this site a lot more frequently. I'm not sure if I have actually spent any significant time here. I click on the tab as a reflex, and then the site pops and I remember that I'm not terribly interested in opening any threads.

I came over to day with news of the UofL response. I never would have thought I could be lower than a 10. From 1992 through 2015 I was a 10 at minimum. I think 2015 broke our fanbase and it has clearly broken Calipari. UK basketball is supposed to be entertainment. I watched Morehead St. and the first half of Richmond and I just haven't had any reason to check back in. I would probably put my interest level on life support right now. If I am being generous I would say its a 2.

I'm not ready to run Calipari off. But if the Knicks or some other NBA team comes calling, I'm not going spend one second concerned that he might leave. The talent coming through the program will inevitably drop. But if we get the right coach, the product on the floor has plenty of room to go up.

10 and will always be a 10. If you let any loss make you less of a fan, maybe you aren’t a true fan to begin with. Maybe you’re just on the train because it was winning frequent.

Do I let a loss affect me? A little, and then an hour later I’m over it. We forget that it’s just a game. Played by kids.

20 years ago I was at 10+.

I vividly remember staying up to watch the comeback against LSU while in VIrginia and watching the comeback against Duke in the NCAA tournament with friends in New York.

Today, I'm at 2.

Been a 10/10 since the late 60's. I will say that my interest in college basketball in general is at an all time low, because it's a terrible product to watch right now. Still love watching the Cats (and ETSU) because I have that emotional attachment and likely always will. Do I get aggravated at times? Of course I do, but I don't let it eat me alive the way some people do, and I'm generally over it in an hour or so. Decades ago, I accepted that I have no control over the outcome of games and just appreciate it for the entertainment it provides for me.

Still a 10 for me. I love watching the recruiting and watching the team develop over the season. I have completely given up the NFL and tried to give up the NBA but the UK/NBA bubble was great.

Reactions: BigBlueFan19
As a diehard UK alum who used to stand outside Memorial overnight waiting on good tickets, I've gone from a 10+ to a 2-3. I care but a good episode of Mash will pull me away at this point. Cal has ruined the connection between the BBN and the program. He's a good man, good coach and he didn't do it knowingly, it's simply a consequence of the system he has put in place. In years gone by, my soon to be 88 year old mother would call from Texas to talk about UK since she can't see much down there. About all she says now is "THAT ISN'T KENTUCKY BASKETBALL!!". I'm afraid she's right. At a time when people are focusing less on sports, I have to wonder if the harm is irreparable.

10 and will always be a 10. If you let any loss make you less of a fan, maybe you aren’t a true fan to begin with. Maybe you’re just on the train because it was winning frequent.

[/QUOTE]

I think the point of this thread may be lost on ya if you think it’s “one loss”

Reactions: KyFaninNC

[/QUOTE]

I don’t care if it’s 100 losses. If it makes you any less than a fan, you were only a fan because we were winning anyways!

its not even UK for me, its college basketball as a whole. With the cheating that goes unpunished, moron running the NCAA, one and done, my interest level is 5.

Reactions: UKUGA
tickets prices and television revenues say otherwise

What does that have to do with what I said? Lol I never said it was losing revenue in any way. I said it’s just a game played by kids. Which is true. What does revenue have to do with that. If a game where 18 year olds throw a leather ball through a metal hoop wrecks your whole day or week, you simply need help and need a life.
With saying that, I watch every game and hold onto every possession. Definitely will never ruin my day, maybe an hour or so after the game l’ll be upset and then it’s completely out of my mind.

I don’t care if it’s 100 losses. If it makes you any less than a fan, you were only a fan because we were winning anyways!
[/QUOTE]

yep, you totally missed the point of this thread because it’s not all about “losing a game”.Congrats.

ADVERTISEMENT