ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 10 scale. What’s your interest level in UK basketball now, compared to 5/10/15/20 years ago?

This all seems to be more of a problem with the sport itself.

I don't see a single up and coming coach that is just killing it and changing the game. Most of traditional powers in college basketball are still at the top, with coaches that have been doing it forever. If Cal left tomorrow who would we even hire that would be such a no-brainer that Cal was 10 years ago? Even K is copying all of Cal's techniques.

The mercenary era of players leaving for the NBA regardless of how ready they are as fast as humanly possible seems to be doing great for the NBA, but it's killing college basketball.

And that doesn't even touch how blatantly corrupt the NCAA is.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I have been a UK fan all 35 years of my life. I came up on UK Basketball during the Pitino era. My interest was a 10. Has been a 10 all my life. When cal got hired it was at a 15! Sadly I’m down to about a 6. I still watch. Still know when the games are. Still yell at the TV about bad shots and missed calls. However, I’m just not excited about the games anymore. I will admit I’m married and have 2 children now. So that may be why my interest has dropped. But I still DVR the games and listen on the radio if I’m at work.

The game just isn’t as interesting anymore. The revolving door of players has worn on us all. I think that combined with the officiating of college basketball, specifically the SEC, has really dropped the entertainment value. I can’t come to love the players like in the past. I remember as a kid meeting Tony Delk. I worshipped the ground that man walked on. Thought he was the most amazing player and person in the world. Now these guys are here for 7 months and move on. The game has changed for everyone, but in stuck in the 90s i guess.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
I think the game absolutely will change. The teams who compete in March will be those who refuse to cater to the one and done players and instead builds and coaches up players over a three and four year period. They will be less athletic, yet more mature teams who have been developed and understand how to play the game.

You occasionally see teams like that making deep runs in the tournament today. They will become the norm instead of the exception. Those who rank teams in the preseason will start looking at the teams maturity and not just their athletic ability.

The one and done NBA farm teams will continue to struggle through every season.

Compared to what it was in the 90s? Not even remotely close. Maybe only a 1.

I couldn’t get enough of it in the 90s, because both the UK product and the whole sport itself were Flippin A awesome back then. Unfortunately, both are now just a pale comparison of what they were, and I’ve lost a ton of interest.

But I’m still here. Haven’t given up completely, and never will.

Last edited:
Reactions: indianskid7220
Most likely, it highlights that people are in the habit of coming to this board, but are no longer as interested in the basketball team as they used to be.

Maybe people are curious to see what others are saying about the team.

A thread like this will draw interest from most, including those of us who haven’t watched a game this season.
About 95% of the UK news I get is on here..........sometimes I will look here and read comments/subject headlines before I check the score...........it is hard to tell if the boys won or lost by the reactions on here...................Like I stated earlier.......it is the blatant poorly officiated game that has usurped my enthusiasm for the Cats........they don't just have to be good to win.......they have to play great to win most nights......

Reactions: UKUGA
If you’re reading and posting on a UK basketball message board, your score can not be any lower than a 6.
This is flawed logic. Many people come here just out of force of habit.

I’ll admit that’s kinda the case with me as well. I’ve been coming here for so many years that I still feel the need to regularly pop in, even though my interest in the sport and team itself has dramatically dropped.

92 was not a painful loss. We were not suppose to win that game. We took a power house Duke team and took them to two overtones with a team of mostly Kentucky kids who stayed around after the NCAA dropped a hammer on us, where our tallest player was a small forward. The greatest college basketball game ever played. And we still lost to a buzzer beater.
I disagree completely.

"“I just wanted to play against the best and be able to compete every day,” Herro said. “I knew my goal was to make the NBA. That’s what I dreamt of. My dream wasn’t to play in college. I wanted to play in the NBA, so when Kentucky was an option and I started to play really well, that door opened up. I just felt like I couldn’t pass it up. I wanted to bet on myself and go into Kentucky with other kids that are my age and we all have an equal opportunity to earn minutes. At the end of the year, usually the best three players from Kentucky go to the NBA. That was my goal. That’s what I wanted to do.” "
That’s a telling quote by Herro. Basically saying THE reason he chose UK was because he does NOT care about college basketball. Players used to choose UK for the opposite reason.

But that basically is the pitch Cal has been selling recruits. I will provide you the fastest route out of here, so come here if you do not want to do this for long.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
The Georgetown loss
The Duke loss
The Wisconsin loss

The first two were just as devastating to me as the Wisconsin loss, however, there was always next year. I just don't have that confidence now. Not that I think Cal is all to blame, NCs don't just happen routinely. Having said that, a lot of Cal's teams are difficult to watch, especially on offense, during the Kansas game I haven't cussed that much since the 98 championship game. I used to watch a ton of CBB in general, but because of ESPN, age, other hobbies and COVID, I'm losing interest more and more. Getting back outdoors a lot more!

I've missed weddings,funerals, family visiting from out of state ,deer hunting trips and other things over UK ball games in the past. Not anymore, I think the roster turnover every year is my biggest reason for losing interest.

Reactions: KyFaninNC and UKUGA
I've missed weddings,funerals, family visiting from out of state ,deer hunting trips and other things over UK ball games in the past. Not anymore, I think the roster turnover every year is my biggest reason for losing interest.

Mine interest in Kentucky will always be a ten . Now college basketball as a whole is maybe a 2 . The NCAA has ruined collage basketball for me ever since they let UNCHEAT off the hook without as much as a harsh word. Now the blatant cheating by the Jailhawks L$U and Zona and please don’t even get me started about what the Rat Faced Bastard at Dook has been allowed to do , it’s just taken all the fun out of the game .

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Always was a 10+ till 2016. After losing to Wisky my interest fell to a 7/8. It has gradually gone down since to today’s level 1-2. I still care, but I don’t care to watch. I just can’t get excited seeing the same shitty basketball early only to see improvement, then losing to a lesser, more experienced team in March. The joy is gone.
Opinions are like &&&&&&& everyone has one since I am a letterman I have never missed a home game I have endowed UK Athletics in
My will UK besides awarding me two Graduate
Degrees it is a big part of our lives
Others have to make choices
Mine is UK forever.

Last edited:
10 year ago 11.

Today? About a 3.

I never thought that could happen.

It's not the virus or apathy, I watched every cardinals game this year.

Kentucky is just not fun anymore. It's one of the reasons I'm ready for Cal to move on. He served his purpose, it was a good hire, but I'm tired.
This me

Everyone on hear has all different opinions but the one that sticks out if you want cal gone who’s next?

Opinions are like &&&&&&& everyone has one since I am a letterman I have never missed a home game I have endowed UK Athletics in
My will UK besides awarding me two Graduate
Degrees it is a big part of our lives
Others have to make choices
Mine is UK forever.
Good for you. I am happy for you.

1990 I watched all the games and would go to post season games.
1995 ^^^
2000 ^^^
2005 I would watch all the games but didn't travel to any post season games. Just wasn't in a position to do it.
2010 Excited! Watched all the games and got tickets for NCAAT venues.
2015 ^^^ Pissed at the end of the season...that had nothing to do with Calipari!
2020 I have to check to see when the CATS are playing. I'll watch if I'm not doing something else but I don't change any plans just to watch them play.

I think the One and Done Syndrome has finally gotten to me. I wouldn't know a UKBB player from anyone else on the street right now. I'm sure some UK Keyboard Warrior Super Fan will say that I'm not a real UK fan...I really don't care. I've cheered on UK for many decades and yeah I grew up in Lexington and graduated from UK so I don't need to prove my fan-dome to those Jonnie come lately fans.

I'm tired of reloading the roster every year. OAD was a good plan when Cal first arrived but now other programs are taking too much talent for it to work anymore without some 4 year players who can contribute.

My interest when Cal arrived was a 10, now maybe a 3 and Cal's OAD is the reason why it has diminished.

Never missed a game from when I was old enough to understand what was going on up until after the Wisconsin final four loss. That was the game for me. Haven't really gave much of a shit since.

My interest now is 0.

I'm not planning my life around watching any of this year's teams games. I doubt I'll watch Notre Dame next week. Now of course I want to beat the crap out of Louisville, but I know we will get boatraced in that game.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT