ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma & Texas to SEC?

Presumably the ACC would not get tv revenue from road games against non ACC schools. Not sure those rights can be granted.

If it’s actually $0, you’re right, it’s impossible. But I don’t think it’s zero, and I don’t think new members would necessarily get the same deal as other SEC schools until they could contribute all of their media rights. Until then, as the saying goes, we don’t have to outrun the bear, we just have to outrun you.

The ACC would own all of Clemson's media rights unless they were bought out regardless of their conference affiliation. That's why it's such a huge deal. TV/streaming is what's driven expansion - increasing the payout to each school. And they wouldn't add anything without media rights.

The ACC would own all of Clemson's media rights unless they were bought out regardless of their conference affiliation. That's why it's such a huge deal. TV/streaming is what's driven expansion - increasing the payout to each school. And they wouldn't add anything without media rights.
Clemson wouldn’t control media rights to broadcasts from Athens, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Baton Rouge etc. They cannot grant to the ACC rights they don’t own.

And the SEC wouldn't control ANY of Clemson's media rights for the next 15 years without a buyout regardless of conference affiliation.
Yes, but don’t act like Clemson would bring nothing when they would be the road opponent for 2 or 3 blockbuster games every year. That has real value.

Yes, but don’t act like Clemson would bring nothing when they would be the road opponent for 2 or 3 blockbuster games every year. That has real value.

They wouldn't bring anything, though, without their media rights. You couldn't use them to enhance your TV deal. You'd be taking over a $300 million bath.

They wouldn't bring anything, though, without their media rights. You couldn't use them to enhance your TV deal. You'd be taking over a $300 million bath.
Their status as road opponent to SEC teams increases the value of the SEC teams media rights. That doesn’t implicate Clemson’s media rights.

One other thing to consider. The ACC and the SEC have sold their media rights to ESPN. Where does that come into play in all of this?

Sure lol. Go to ESPN and tell them you're adding a conference member, you don't own their media rights, but you'd like an increased payout.
Clemson only ever owned the media rights to control the broadcast of their home games. That’s what was granted to the ACC. The ACC does not have a grant of rights covering games broadcast from Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, or anywhere in the SEC.

Clemson only ever owned the media rights to control the broadcast of their home games. That’s what was granted to the ACC. The ACC does not have a grant of rights covering games broadcast from Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, or anywhere in the SEC.

Now you're repeating yourself. And the SEC doesn't own ANY of Clemson's media rights. But that's only a minimum of $300 million over 15 years. You couldn't package them with the SEC network. Don't take this personal, but this is probably the most incredibly dumb idea I've heard - add a team that doesn't bring TV/streaming revenue when TV/Streaming revenue drives media contracts and conference distributions.

Both the President and AD of Texas A&M have stated how much they look forward to many more years in the SEC and the fact that they were THE Texas school that paved the way to the Southeastern Conference.
I would say the League office and possibly commissioner Sankey reminded them how much money they had made vs how much they would lose.

In other news, the Big 12 announced they would restructure the league payouts, giving Texas and Oklahoma a share and a half of all monies while everyone else gets one share.

If I was in the Big whatever it is I would be calling anywhere I could right now.

West Virginia to the SEC anyone?

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Now you're repeating yourself. And the SEC doesn't own ANY of Clemson's media rights. But that's only a minimum of $300 million over 15 years. You couldn't package them with the SEC network. Don't take this personal, but this is probably the most incredibly dumb idea I've heard - add a team that doesn't bring TV/streaming revenue when TV/Streaming revenue drives media contracts and conference distributions.
They don’t control any of Clemson’s media rights, but they control all of the media rights for every SEC team Clemson would play on the road. Thats value coming with Clemson. Not sure how you can deny this.

They don’t control any of Clemson’s media rights, but they control all of the media rights for every SEC team Clemson would play on the road. Thats value coming with Clemson. Not sure how you can deny this.

Yeah, here's your deal: the ACC would get ALL the money from Alabama, UGA, etc playing conference games in Death Valley every year. Lol. That's some real value there buddy.

Yeah, here's your deal: the ACC would get ALL the money from Alabama, UGA, etc playing conference games in Death Valley every year. Lol. That's some real value there buddy.
Of course! That’s why Clemson would have a smaller payout than other schools for at least the first decade or so. So the SEC gets richer, Clemson gets significantly more than they would get from the ACC, and the ACC has a windfall for a few years before being disbanded.

Who says no? I mean besides the ACC, who wouldn’t get to vote.

Of course! That’s why Clemson would have a smaller payout than other schools for at least the first decade or so. So the SEC gets richer, Clemson gets significantly more than they would get from the ACC, and the ACC has a windfall for a few years before being disbanded.

Who says no? I mean besides the ACC, who wouldn’t get to vote.

Someone else floated this idea earlier. Like I said, there are a lot of problems with that scenario. For one, there's no way both the SEC and Clemson make more than they are currently without the latter's media rights. That math simply doesn't check out. And Clemson isn't leaving the ACC for less distribution money and a more difficult road to the playoffs.

Here is another issue that could pop up. We will stick with Clemson since that is the team everyone has been mentioning so far. If the Grant of Media Rights only covers home games, what happens if they play all their games either on the road or at a neutral site. What if they go to Jacksonville or Charlotte or even Columbia to play their home games for a few seasons until the ACC negotiates some sort of mutually agreeable exit.

The thing is, there are a bunch of ways that I am certain a determined team can employ to get out of this deal. And that ability would go up if multiple teams decide to leave. It just brings too much instability to the league and teams are going to start scrambling to protect themselves. Hanging onto a team that wants out is not going to help that.

I don’t understand. The SEC will gain an extra conference game if Clemson came. Except they could have an extra Alabama/Florida/Georgia/LSU conference games yesterday without adding anyone. Adding Clemson where the ACC gets all the home media rights is certainly a choice, but it seems like a lot of moving pieces with marginal benefits for the next decade. It would of course hamstring a rival, and if you can convince Clemson to pay for the right to be in the SEC, sure. But that would be one silver tongue.

I will ask, what is the exit fee for the SEC now? A penny or something? You better get serious about that before Texas signs on the dotted line. They’ll use their ability to walk at any second against y’all in a New York minute. They are a destabilizing force in the best of times, and the aura of the SEC and the ghost of Bear Bryant won’t keep them inline. Cash and lawyers, that is what they respect. Sometimes.

Here is another issue that could pop up. We will stick with Clemson since that is the team everyone has been mentioning so far. If the Grant of Media Rights only covers home games, what happens if they play all their games either on the road or at a neutral site. What if they go to Jacksonville or Charlotte or even Columbia to play their home games for a few seasons until the ACC negotiates some sort of mutually agreeable exit.

The thing is, there are a bunch of ways that I am certain a determined team can employ to get out of this deal. And that ability would go up if multiple teams decide to leave. It just brings too much instability to the league and teams are going to start scrambling to protect themselves. Hanging onto a team that wants out is not going to help that.

The GOR stuff gets kinda harry because ESPN owns the ACC network. The easiest way, if I were the SEC, and wanted to add an ACC team, would be to loan them the money up front to buyout the GOR, and have them pay it back with a portion of their conference distributions. But even then, I think Clemson, the ACC and ESPN might all three still balk at the idea. I'm not sure it would clear legal hurdles either. That could also get expensive. The GOR is tough and as someone mentioned there are a lot of moving pieces when there might be better alternatives...which is why no one is really targeting the ACC.

Last edited:
I will ask, what is the exit fee for the SEC now? A penny or something? You better get serious about that before Texas signs on the dotted line. They’ll use their ability to walk at any second against y’all in a New York minute. They are a destabilizing force in the best of times, and the aura of the SEC and the ghost of Bear Bryant won’t keep them inline. Cash and lawyers, that is what they respect. Sometimes.
If Texas comes in and then leaves, that won’t change much in the SEC. The last commish said it best (paraphrasing) we don’t keep teams hostage. If you don’t want to be in the SEC then leave.

Someone else floated this idea earlier. Like I said, there are a lot of problems with that scenario. For one, there's no way both the SEC and Clemson make more than they are currently without the latter's media rights. That math simply doesn't check out. And Clemson isn't leaving the ACC for less distribution money and a more difficult road to the playoffs.
Maybe the math doesn’t work out, but a package including the best SEC game each week and the SEC championship game just went for $300 million per year. The money piles up for big matchups.

Last edited:
I don’t understand. The SEC will gain an extra conference game if Clemson came.
I will ask, what is the exit fee for the SEC now? A penny or something? You better get serious about that before Texas signs on the dotted line. They’ll use their ability to walk at any second against y’all in a New York minute.
Like the SEC cares. Ain't like TX is close to on par with SEC, much less bigger. Zero leverage there. And again, just why are they begging to join SEC? Bunch of sipper beggars.

Reactions: The-Hack
Or they do what they did before, which is to send other programs looking elsewhere just to get out of all the drama in Texas’ wake. Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and TAMU already left because of them once.
He doesn't understand. Poor baby.

Maybe the math doesn’t work out, but a package including the best SEC game each week and the SEC championship game just went for $300 million per year. The money piles up for big matchups.

I'm with you there. Money talks. I said in another thread, I think eventually Football/Basketball move away from the NCAA, and the non-revenue sports go regional with different associations and governance.

Last edited:
Or they do what they did before, which is to send other programs looking elsewhere just to get out of all the drama in Texas’ wake. Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and TAMU already left because of them once.

Yeah, they're conference wreckers. I know A&M is PISSED lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT