ADVERTISEMENT

OK Who's in the know?

Old_Red

All-American
Jun 7, 2001
Who is going to be playing centerfield this year?

I was reading bios of some of the new guys and it sounds like we have a lot of corner outfielders.

1B has to be a bit down defensively but there are a lot of potential players for 1st.

Just a guess, but I think Alinski plays center. I'd like Pompey in left and Johnson in right. Alinski was JUCO defensive player of the year last year and if I'm not mistaken it was as a CF.

Cam Hill will also get a shot there.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Evan White will not be easily replaced but I like the potential to see improvements in other areas.

They changed the roster to make a lot of our catchers also as first basemen. Squires and Collette and Cottam are all listed as C/1B now. Before they were just listed as catcher.

Just a guess, but I think Alinski plays center. I'd like Pompey in left and Johnson in right. Alinski was JUCO defensive player of the year last year and if I'm not mistaken it was as a CF.

Cam Hill will also get a shot there.
Aklinski and Cam Hill were the two it looked like could be the new CF. This team will be so different than last year's team. Pitching could be pretty strong but what will happen in he infield? Getting the middle infield reset will be key for the team's defense. Losing the starting short stop, 2nd, and 1st base takes away probably all of our DP's from last year. It is hard to imagine that there won't be some hiccups along the way.

They really recruited the East Coast with 4 players coming in from NJ and Delaware.

Aklinski and Cam Hill were the two it looked like could be the new CF. This team will be so different than last year's team. Pitching could be pretty strong but what will happen in he infield? Getting the middle infield reset will be key for the team's defense. Losing the starting short stop, 2nd, and 1st base takes away probably all of our DP's from last year. It is hard to imagine that there won't be some hiccups along the way.

They really recruited the East Coast with 4 players coming in from NJ and Delaware.

We should have Becker at second. I think he will do all right there. Dawson is likely our shortstop. He should be very good there. Black should be on the corner. Entirly mixed up infield, but could be improved.

I would like to see Aklinski in CF but wouldn't be surprised to see Pompey there. Cam Hill I think will be a backup plan, although he has a great future.

There will be no drop off at SS with Trey Dawson.

They should be able to get outside this weekend. Maybe scrimmage?

Last edited:
I would like to see Alinski in CF but wouldn't be surprised to see Pompey there. Cam Hill I think will be a backup plan, although he has a great future.

There will be no drop off at SS with Trey Dawson.

They should be able to get outside this weekend. Maybe scrimmage?

Wouldn't surprise me either, but I've never been extremely impressed with Pompey's defensive abilities. He doesn't read the ball off the bat especially well from what I've seen. He's got a decent arm but not a plus arm. To me, he's more of a left fielder because of this. Still, wouldn't be mad if he is somewhere else. He is still a solid outfielder.

Wouldn't surprise me either, but I've never been extremely impressed with Pompey's defensive abilities. He doesn't read the ball off the bat especially well from what I've seen. He's got a decent arm but not a plus arm. To me, he's more of a left fielder because of this. Still, wouldn't be mad if he is somewhere else. He is still a solid outfielder.
I agree about Pompey, he is better as a corner outfielder. I am excited about the upcoming season, 1 month away I do believe !

Last edited:
I also agree. I would like to see Pompey in LF. But after watching the final Fall series, I won't be surprised if he's in CF.

I didn't think so.

This is at least a coaching staff that I trust. I think they will make changes if necessary. Still, Kentucky has a relatively small outfield. If we had someone like Zac Watson in center then there wouldn't be a whole lot of balls hitting the ground out there. Of course, Watson is a high bar. Still, Aklinski is a top defensive outfielder and we need utilize that as much as we can.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
This is at least a coaching staff that I trust. I think they will make changes if necessary. Still, Kentucky has a relatively small outfield. If we had someone like Zac Watson in center then there wouldn't be a whole lot of balls hitting the ground out there. Of course, Watson is a high bar. Still, Aklinski is a top defensive outfielder and we need utilize that as much as we can.
Totally agree.

Cam Hill actually gives us a Zach Watson-type in CF, but I don't think we'll see him there right away.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I think the scouts may want to see if Pompey can handle CF but that may not be in complete alignment with what Mingione wants to do.

I think the scouts may want to see if Pompey can handle CF but that may not be in complete alignment with what Mingione wants to do.

I think he can play there on occasion, but I think it'd be better for us as a whole if he's in left. He won't be a huge step down, but also not the best defensive setup.

I think he can play there on occasion, but I think it'd be better for us as a whole if he's in left. He won't be a huge step down, but also not the best defensive setup.
Yeah, he has already played there some, but I agree he is better as a corner outfielder and of course a dangerous switch hitter with power.

The baseball team has me more excited than any other uk team.

I look forward to following the team again this year. A lot of new names to get familiar with...

And a brand new radio guy to call our Cats.

It's definitely going to be different.

I'm a big Neil Price fan, but I've heard some cuts from Darren and he is very good. Looking forward to hearing him call the Cats.
I agree. Price is the reason I began to love UK baseball. He was the only way I could keep up with games for years. He is as much UK baseball as anyone else to me. However, Darren comes with a great resume and seems to have a great radio voice. What will be interesting is how well he can paint a picture as well as how well he keeps an audience captivated on his own. I'll miss Price, but I'm glad it seems as though we've got a very good replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT