ADVERTISEMENT

Ok....So how good are we?

No way to know how good they are or can be until the games count. This was good for the team and the staff. They get to see these kids in live action. The players get to learn how to play with each other.

I will admit they looked better than I thought they would, but miles to go before they sleep.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
UniqueTemptingGander-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

Cmon...Too much restraint in this thread. I'll say it:
This team is GREAT. No weaknesses. No head cases. Fierce competitors. Smart Basketball IQ.
We shoot it. We handle it. We pass it. We rebound it. We defend it.

Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. Number 9.

What? Nobody said that, not one person. Go ahead and prove your point, but you just made up some junk and tried to pass it off as fact. Hilarious.

Yes people said this on this forum last year when the brackets came out. I don’t think I would make something so trivial like that up.

Yes people said this on this forum last year when the brackets came out. I don’t think I would make something so trivial like that up.
Sounds like a Ulismyman or smoothy king thread. I was on this board daily and never saw those comments. Everyone believed UK had a shot, but that's about it.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
This team seems to innately play with that sense of desperation that Cal is always talking about. If they can maintain that all year, it’s going to be a special season. It all starts with Keldon Johnson and, as long as he stays healthy, I KNOW he will keep the fire and the hunger. Loved it when he refused to let the ball be taken from him on that tie up tonight (even after the whistle). The rest of the team feeds off of him... LOVE the collective intensity.

We should be good, and have a shot at the end of the year at reaching the ultimate goal. Anything beyond that is reaching at this point.

I am trying very hard to not get overly excited at this point. I know it's early but it's so nice to see this group of guys playing together. Their dedication and enthusiasm are qualities that make it hard to NOT get excited. The things that upset me about last season are exactly the things I haven't seen yet with this group and I don't think I will. I feel like a kid who sort of knows what I am getting for Christmas, but I have to wait for the day. Like I've said before, patience is not one of my qualities. It's gonna be a GREAT season...I can feel it!!!!

GO CATS!!!

Sounds like a Ulismyman or smoothy king thread. I was on this board daily and never saw those comments. Everyone believed UK had a shot, but that's about it.
Especially considering that was before #1 overall seed Virginia, in the path of UK and Arizona, got bounced in the 1st round.

As for this team, you really can't judge much until January. The potential is obviously really high, but January is when teams start to play consistently good competition, and there's almost always a lull in performance. If a team can survive or even thrive through that, you know they're for real.

The last two games were very enjoyable. I have high expectations that the Duke and KU games will be even more enjoyable. Jaws are going to drop as national audiences witness this UK team crushing them. This is one confident group of players. They are fearless. They don't play just to win; they play to make statements. This is a team without any doubts of how great they are.

Reactions: chroix
A week ago we were optimistic but had lots of questions: Is Quickley a big-time player? Is Herro physically ready to contribute? Has Richards gotten enough better that Kentucky has a rim protector? Is KJ really a game-changing talent? Is Travis going to vacuum rebounds the way we hope? Can PJ take another step? Does this team have the chemistry to do great things? Do they have the potential to dominate defensively?

Every single question has been answered in a positive way. So it's hard to accuse anyone of being overly positive. Given the schedule, I figured this team could lose 6-7 games before this week. I'm now at 3-4 unless there are lots of injuries. And while anything can happen in a one-and-done tournament, Kentucky had to be the favorite.

There is a lot about the team that impresses me so far. I sure didn't expect our defense to be this good, this early. I know we have a ways to go bit I like what I'm seeing.

Our offence is spread across 8-9 players. That is huge in my opinion. So many weapons and ways to score.

The things that are most impressive though, are the attitudes, confidence and the toughness that these boys have! My goodness!

I'm sure we will have some rough games along the way because Cal will play some guys out of position (or experiment) to get them experience for the next step. Trying to build on their resume. I hate when that happens because we usually take a lump or three. Lol We are tough though and excellent chance we bring home #9!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I think we still need to settle down a little bit. I mean Johnny david and brad actually looked like decent players in this game. That was a slow team we played today and all these teams maybe mid major quality. These aren’t complete teams either we are playing they have some scrubs out there. We go and blow the doors off duke like we did Ku in 2015 then get excited.

Brad didn’t look good. Good heavens

Reactions: kyjeff1
After all my years watching UK and all of college ball I am at a loss....How good are we and will we be in November when we take the court against Duke? This team looks like they are ready for a March run in August. Dumbfounded right now while trying to temper expectations
#9 Good.

A week ago we were optimistic but had lots of questions: Is Quickley a big-time player? Is Herro physically ready to contribute? Has Richards gotten enough better that Kentucky has a rim protector? Is KJ really a game-changing talent? Is Travis going to vacuum rebounds the way we hope? Can PJ take another step? Does this team have the chemistry to do great things? Do they have the potential to dominate defensively?

Every single question has been answered in a positive way. So it's hard to accuse anyone of being overly positive. Given the schedule, I figured this team could lose 6-7 games before this week. I'm now at 3-4 unless there are lots of injuries. And while anything can happen in a one-and-done tournament, Kentucky had to be the favorite.

I agree with this 100%.

I haven't seen Cal's annual "be patient with this team, we're gonna take some lumps early, etc. I think Cal believes this is one of the best teams he's had, even in August.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
It’s only August and these Cats look better to me than some of our teams have in February. Even if a couple of our guys have an off night we have 7 other players to pick them up. I don’t see 7 teams we play this year beating us maybe 2- 4 loses. These kids have heart and they All hustle on every possession. They like playing defense and work together on every possession on offense. You can tell Cal is extremely excited about this team, and so am I.

Especially considering that was before #1 overall seed Virginia, in the path of UK and Arizona, got bounced in the 1st round.

As for this team, you really can't judge much until January. The potential is obviously really high, but January is when teams start to play consistently good competition, and there's almost always a lull in performance. If a team can survive or even thrive through that, you know they're for real.
Dead on. January is very telling. It's conference play and, for whatever reason, games are close, even at Rupp. The 15 team was taken to overtime in Rupp by a bad Ole Miss team right off the bat.
I think SEC officiating has something to do with it (they call every touch), but SEC teams really get up to play UK and now, on top of that, the SEC is possibly the strongest conference in the country. This is going to be one of the best seasons we've ever watched. Every game is going to be a dogfight.

I think we are great team.

And if they can all grow similarly to the way Cal's team usually do, we should be the favorite to win it.

I like their sharing, even when they have a shot, to get teammates a better shot.
I like the intensity on D.
Help needs to improve, and it will as they talk more.
I like our ability to rebound on both ends.
I love that 3 guys can get us a post bucket when we need it. Been a while for that.
I love our ability to shoot (3) and the mid-range game of Quade, Tyler, and IQ.

We all realize that this team has lots of room to grow.
This splash of a summer view has been wonderful to wet our appetites.

We face the toughest OOC and SEC schedule I can ever remember. This will give us some lumps but make us better in the end.

I'm giddy with the fever.

The biggest difference i've noticed, (between this team and previous teams), is communication on defense. They talk constantly.
They have a fire and determination that is rare in a team so young. And we have two teams of 5. Like a couple of teams in the past, our entire second team would be starting for the vast majority of d1 programs.
Keldon johnson is the key. He is playing the game he loves for nothing other than the love of the game. His intensity is infectious. You could see it in the team last night. As long as keldon is smiling, it's gonna be a great year.

Reactions: ubtrapper
I think the difference between very good and great is how you react when everyone gets off the bus with 2 fouls in Nashville or Baton Rouge.

The 2017 team took a step back when that happened, and it took a while to regain its footing.

This team looks to be cut from a different cloth. “Enjoy your 40 free throws and foul outs. You aren’t making any baskets, and our ninth man will crush you.”

At least that’s what I’m hoping for.

I think the difference between very good and great is how you react when everyone gets off the bus with 2 fouls in Nashville or Baton Rouge.

The 2017 team took a step back when that happened, and it took a while to regain its footing.

This team looks to be cut from a different cloth. “Enjoy your 40 free throws and foul outs. You aren’t making any baskets, and our ninth man will crush you.”

At least that’s what I’m hoping for.
We all see that in this team

Reactions: Aike
To me, this team has a different mentality, and that leads to how they play. Each year we have elite talent that is focused on basketball, but these guys seem to be basketball fanatics. In the gym at midnight shooting - there were what, 5-6 guys? And they want to destroy the absolute will of their opponents. That approach leads to a different mental approach during game time, and these guys have the talent to go with it. I remember Peyton Manning wasn't just a great QB, but he lived football - more than most of his peers. I see that in this team - that Manning like approach to their sport. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Its hard not to be excited about our upcoming season. yeah we looked good; yes the teams were not top 5 NCAA teams, yes its early. But there is one thing I thought stood out was our consistency of play for this early with so little practice time.
The future looks really bright to say the least.

Depth is big time this year. Sure other top 5 teams will match up with us, but their studs have to take a break at some point and we will just keep on coming at you.
At this point in time, my thoughts on on that December game in the Yum Center. What a fitting way to cap off their crappy year with a beat down.
After that, bring on the SEC and lets see how things play out.

Go Big Blue

Well, we looked better this week than I thought we would. I felt if we split and win 2 out 4, it would be satisfying. After winning all 4 in blowouts, I have to say 40-0 baybeeee. [winking]

Reactions: WildMoon
After all my years watching UK and all of college ball I am at a loss....How good are we and will we be in November when we take the court against Duke? This team looks like they are ready for a March run in August. Dumbfounded right now while trying to temper expectations

In case you missed my thread earlier........

WE ARE GOING TO BE REALLY F%@$!#G GOOD!!!

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
ADVERTISEMENT