ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio DB Alex Afari to announce decision on May 7th

*Bleedingblue*

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2009
The Lakota West product could add to strong secondary in 2022 recruiting class for Kentucky.

The Kentucky Wildcats football secondary could land another high profile recruit to its 2022 recruiting class, as West Chester (Ohio) four-star defensive back Alex Afari is set to announce his decision on May 7th.In February, the Lakota West High School standout announced that he was down to six schools with Kentucky currently projected as the final destination over Cincinnati, Virginia, Iowa State, Indiana and Pittsburgh. The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Afari would be a nice addition for the Wildcats who already have commitments from cornerbacks Treyveon Longmore (Corbin, KY), Andre Stewart (Snellville, GA) and safety Jeremiah Caldwell (Belleville, MI).

Lakota West is a recruiting hotbed for college football programs, producing numerous big-time recruits that have included former Wildcats John Conner, one of Kentucky’s all-time best fullbacks who played five NFL seasons, and George Asafo-Adjei, a right tackle who was taken in the 7th round of the NFL draft by the New York Giants in 2019.

Afari was offered by Kentucky in January of 2020 and is very familiar with the program, especially assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Vince Marrow who he’s known since 7th grade.“It’s like family down there,” Afari told First Star Football Report’s Dave Berk in April, 2020 of his relationship with the Kentucky football program. “Every time I go there, I’m treated really well. I know a lot of the coaches and players there. George Asafo-Adjei is a family friend and he talks highly about Kentucky. Coach (Vince) Marrow really likes me and we’re cool.”

Would have to think a few will be JUCOs or transfers. Hard to imagine 6 freshman DBs in one class.

Also remember they are “tweaking” the Defense in order to get best 11 on the field. With more and more up tempo spread offenses that will mean more 5 and 6 DBs on the field most of the time.
Almost have to think that many teams will go 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 route as base D

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
IMO, Afari is a great addition. I absolutely love the film I've seen on him. He's aggressive, great size and speed and will come up and hit you with some authority. You got to love guys like this on your roster..

Also remember they are “tweaking” the Defense in order to get best 11 on the field. With more and more up tempo spread offenses that will mean more 5 and 6 DBs on the field most of the time.
Almost have to think that many teams will go 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 route as base D
I think we stay in 3/4/4 base, most of the time, that's how they have built the team, and there are some studs on the DLine. I do agree though, they will get extra secondary guys on the field situationally.

ADVERTISEMENT